Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

surf rock posted:

The only thing that I found kind of jarring was Godzilla itself; it kind of looked like a Playstation 3 model to me.

Come on.

holefoods posted:

-Lots of great location shooting and the CGI was really well done overall, amazing how much different and better movie making was even just 10 years ago before everyone was locked into a studio with a green screen for the most part

They used plenty of green screens on Godzilla. The quality of the CG is down to shot design. That's why the CG dinosaurs in the original Jurassic Park still look better than the newer movies despite the newer ones having more advanced, "features," for lack of a better term. Spielberg is great, Colin Trevorrow is a hack. Gareth Edwards is a great visual filmmaker, whatever his other flaws.

I can't recommend enough this series of videos, two so far, about CG in movies. It's an answer to the barrage of publicity done by movie studios, directors, and stars who poo poo on the use of CG while using it extensively in their films. Top Gun: Maverick is one of the latest and most egregious frauds, with Cruise and company out and out lying about how "real" the planes were.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheMovieRabbitHole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

surf rock posted:

Maybe they were trying to bridge the CGI designs with the rubber-suit designs and this was the middle-ground?

My take was that they were very intentionally referencing the rubber suit model, with the stiff awkward arms and unmoving face. G's not like that in the initial encounter.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

There are of course differences - but the protagonist of Godzilla 2014 starts off losing both his parents to a disaster in Japan (one to mental illness, in his case) and then, consequently, begins a career as a bomb-defusal technician. That’s curiously specific! The middle portion of the film involves his foreknowledge of a monster attack on the city where his wife works, and the race to reunite with her. Failing to do so, he instead gets tangentially involved in a botched plan to kill the bad monsters while the government serves as minor antagonist - worsening the situation while perpetrating a halfassed conspiracy to hide the existence of the threat. You can go on like that, but there’s already more commonality here than with pretty much any other films in the series.

I can spy plot points in in most of this that you could apply to films as early as King Kong vs Godzilla, or Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster, but that bolded point...I mean, when you're right, you're right.

I still love both this movie and G'14, and while, no, I certainly don't think Minus One would be as good as it is (Hell, it'd probably be unrecognizable) without taking inspiration/cribbing from Edwards' film, I see it as more of an homage that went in some different directions than blatant narrative or glory theft. Mostly. Again, that bomb defusal point hit hard enough to get through my thick skull.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

The thing that's really striking me the morning after seeing it is, the scientist man character had such fluffy hair. Iconic

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Noda has sick style and a camera.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thing that's really striking me the morning after seeing it is, the scientist man character had such fluffy hair. Iconic

his hair was really good

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Best G-1 toy showed up at D-Con

https://www.instagram.com/p/C08YlfrOP2o/

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

his hair was really good

Wish I had his hair.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

YES

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Wish I had his hair.

Livin' the Beethoven dream life

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
Some of the characters in Minus One, like Doc, have a real Godzilla movie vibe to them

like they wouldn't look out of place in any other Godzilla movie

VROOM VROOM
Jun 8, 2005
It didn't come to mind when I was watching 1954 but I got real confused during Minus One when some music started and I flashed back to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLElKdtA0AU

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

GodDAMN Minus One whips rear end. That score gave me chills and I can’t believe I now live in a world where I got a little choked up at a Godzilla movie.

I was nervous for a while until they said his full name that Doc was going to be revealed to be Serizawa in a dumbass Nick Fury esque moment at the end and I’m so glad this movie didn’t wink nudge the audience too much while also keeping his canonical hatred of trains.

Here’s the weeklyfont approved Godzilla tier list hot take now:

S: Gojira, Minus One
A: Shin, 2014
B: Basically any Toho movie where a rubber man punches another rubber man, Skull Island, Return of Godzilla
This movie is so loving dumb but I love it anyway (aka Jet Jaguar Honorary Oscar): Godzilla vs Megalon
C: Legendary Pictures
D: Raids Again, Matthew Broderick
F: Minya, in general. Other than the Ghoulies I’ve never wanted to give a monster a swirlie more

weekly font fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Dec 18, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9U9TVJdkUPs

I want Junior to kick Minilla's rear end.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

weekly font posted:

GodDAMN Minus One whips rear end. That score gave me chills and I can’t believe I now live in a world where I got a little choked up at a Godzilla movie.

I was nervous for a while until they said his full name that Doc was going to be revealed to be Serizawa in a dumbass Nick Fury esque moment at the end and I’m so glad this movie didn’t wink nudge the audience too much while also keeping his canonical hatred of trains.

I was genuinely relieved when they revealed the plan to kill Godzilla didn't involve the Oxygen Destroyer. Not that I think this film wouldn't of done it well, but it was so nice seeing something new. And the scene of Godzilla decompressing whilst the music cut out was great.

And yeah, I also got chocked up at a few points.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

weekly font posted:

I can’t believe I now live in a world where I got a little choked up at a Godzilla movie.

hosed up way to reveal you've never seen Godzilla vs. Destoroyah

(i also get choked up at Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

RIP Kenpachiro Satstuma :smith:

This made me really sad, so I streamed Godzilla vs. Destoroyah to a bunch of my friends yesterday since it was the last time he played Godzilla.

Everyone knows the deal with Godzilla but most of them had only really seen or remember like Shin Godzilla and the Legendary ones in full, and had this mindset that Godzilla was only ever at these extremes of Real Movie or Dumb Spectacle Movie so it was a pretty bit hit to get something that goes for both. I forgot how much Shin Godzilla takes from it.

I really love that movie for how sorta corny but biblically apocalyptic it is at the same time, it hits that balance really well for me and it's shot so well. Like they don't SHOW a completely totally obliterated permanently irradiated Tokyo, but during the climax when Godzilla has those massive waves of energy coming off him people caught on that that's like, bad for everyone around him lol so when the final dialogue at the end comes up that Tokyo is now a ghost city it really did hit people, that final shot before the montage. I love that flick.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Godzilla's death in vs Destroyah is really sad as his roars get weaker and weaker until he just dissolves. The slow fade in to show that Junior saved everyone by absorbing Big G's radiation is also wonderful.

Those Godzilla vs Gigan and Jet Jaguar short movies are supposed to be Junior, right?

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Those Godzilla vs Gigan and Jet Jaguar short movies are supposed to be Junior, right?

I don't think we're supposed to think about the canon of those too deeply

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Asterite34 posted:

I don't think we're supposed to think about the canon of those too deeply

I'm just going off the clear heisei vibes of the godzilla design so maybe I'm headcanon-ing a bit.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Arc Hammer posted:

Godzilla's death in vs Destroyah is really sad as his roars get weaker and weaker until he just dissolves. The slow fade in to show that Junior saved everyone by absorbing Big G's radiation is also wonderful.

when he tries to nudge Godzilla Junior awake and breathe some life into him :cry:

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7lX3Jdw8Dxs

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

when he tries to nudge Godzilla Junior awake and breathe some life into him :cry:

For real, that movie hits me. :( They do a really good job humanizing Godzilla but not TOO much.

Arc Hammer posted:

I'm just going off the clear heisei vibes of the godzilla design so maybe I'm headcanon-ing a bit.

For those shorts IIRC in some cases they used a replica of the Showa era suit and also one of the stunt suits from IIRC circa the 00s? So in comparison to Destoroyah I can kind of see it.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

VROOM VROOM posted:

It didn't come to mind when I was watching 1954 but I got real confused during Minus One when some music started and I flashed back to this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLElKdtA0AU

Every time I hear the Godzilla theme, I want to hear the sick drum sample along with it.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
If you don't have to suppress a sob at the end of 'Return of Godzilla' when he's falling into the volcano and his roar becomes this extended, high-pitched scream then just gently caress you for being made of sterner stuff.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'm so glad Minus One has stuck around, saw it Saturday. Loved it.

Possibly just that the last three years have been really rough for me, but it hit my heart dead on. Feel like it earned the happy ending too.

Not the first Godzilla movie that made me cry, but maybe the one I felt the most?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Just got out of Minus One. Goddamn, it fuckin owned so hard. Def gonna try and see it again before it leaves theaters.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

One of the few movies this year everyone who watches and tells their friends, “you gotta see this before it’s gone”

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
The trailer selection before it was fuckin bad though.

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire
Mean Girls the musical
That really bad looking CG Duck movie
The Color Purple done in the style of that bad Elvis movie that came out a few years ago.

It was weird, like this is not the audience for those films imo, maybe ghost busters. Everything else seed super out of place though

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 6 days!)

I think mine was Ghostbusters, new planet of the apes, migration, and the last trailer before it started was the upcoming US Godzilla movie

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Mine had a trailer for the new jason statham death wish trash and that was the highlight/lowlight for sure

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Oh poo poo! I didn't realize they were continuing the Planet of the Apes movies! I was worried they had died off. Just watched the trailer for it and I'm fuckin stoked.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I was in a 4DX showing and we got the Aquaman trailer with full 4DX action going. That was a nice tutorial, they can get pretty wild with the effects. In particular, you want to get used to the seat tilting. It'll throw you around enough you feel like you need to hang on to the arms, but I don't think it'd actually throw someone out of their seat if they didn't. The experience added a layer of physical anxiety to the experience of watching a giant lizard stomp its way towards you. The swooping effect they did during the flying scenes was really nice.

Planet of the Apes looks great. The Statham thing... I get that people may feel that something is wrong behind the scenes and feeling like someone will fix it is comforting for them. But this looks stupid.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dog nougat posted:

Oh poo poo! I didn't realize they were continuing the Planet of the Apes movies! I was worried they had died off. Just watched the trailer for it and I'm fuckin stoked.

wes ball

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

my showing at regal didn’t even have trailers they just did the poo poo where they basically show tv commercials and then rolled straight into the movie about 15 minutes after the advertised start time

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

My showing had ads for Monster, The Boy and the Heron, and The Holdovers, so I got pretty decent luck with the trailers even with the other trash in between those.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I got previews for Aquaman: Lost Empire, Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire and a movie about a haunted swimming pool, which I assume was also part of some Empire.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

https://twitter.com/carebecc/status/1736864984267960717?s=46&t=uiUehxbkNdNcN0PmfZ4Vaw

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

dog nougat posted:

The trailer selection before it was fuckin bad though.

Ghostbusters Frozen Empire
Mean Girls the musical
That really bad looking CG Duck movie
The Color Purple done in the style of that bad Elvis movie that came out a few years ago.

It was weird, like this is not the audience for those films imo, maybe ghost busters. Everything else seed super out of place though

There was a bad Elvis movie too? I guess it was totally overshadowed by that awesome Elvis movie that came out a few years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

That reminds me, I once saw someone make the interesting point that Elvis (the movie) is very similar to Shin Godzilla. They both take what was at the time a cultural hallmark that had become silly and kitschy over time, and stripped that all away so modern audiences could see what was so unique and impressive about them when they first appeared.