Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

runawayturtles posted:

Did people actually like the final season? I got through it just to reach the very telegraphed ending, but can't say I enjoyed it much. Previous seasons were alright, but it's not some paragon of writing.

personally i very much enjoyed the lengthy discussion the show had with how sympathetic figures fall into fascism, and how that kind of system is created and perpetuated by the psychological exploitation of human qualities that can be easily seen as admirable or desirable in different circumstances. there's some aspects of that explored in AoT that i don't tend to see other work dealing with similar subject matter dive into, and i appreciate that rather than give an answer on how to solve the problems presented by the underlying mindset feeding into this, AoT (especially """the final season""") is very centrally about the tension of how difficult it is to enact any solutions when all of them require that multiple people simultaneously work against their own self interests. these are themes that i enjoy and i think attack on titan explores them very compellingly. personally i tend to respond strongly to stories that heavily feature characters having complex guilt and trauma responses and that's most of s4's character work. the episode that consisted of the main cast sitting down in a circle in a forest and just talking to each other about their emotions surrounding the events of the show is one of my favorites, and that's entirely off me getting absorbed into the different perspectives the characters have and seeing how an honest discussion between them plays out. i might be cringe and stupid for enjoying the ~dark deep children's cartoon~ but yes, i did actually like the final season, that's why i said this:

ninjewtsu posted:

i'd been avoiding saying that as much as i can out of a sense of self awareness that it's a cartoon aimed at young boys, but honestly i agree. i'm extremely impressed with AoT's writing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

runawayturtles posted:

Did people actually like the final season? I got through it just to reach the very telegraphed ending, but can't say I enjoyed it much. Previous seasons were alright, but it's not some paragon of writing.

Yes, quite a few people liked it

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004
Guess it just wasn't what I was looking to see then. It definitely had very strong themes, but as the final season went on (and on...), and knowing where the story was likely trying to go, it became more an exercise in suspension of disbelief. I appreciated the commentary, but some of the character actions to get there just made me roll my eyes more and more as things progressed. Anyway, if it was just me then that's a good thing.

edit:

ninjewtsu posted:

the episode that consisted of the main cast sitting down in a circle in a forest and just talking to each other about their emotions surrounding the events of the show is one of my favorites, and that's entirely off me getting absorbed into the different perspectives the characters have and seeing how an honest discussion between them plays out.

Feels like forever ago but I did really enjoy that part also.

runawayturtles fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Dec 4, 2023

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Side-note, but go play Signalis if you haven't already and want something with BLAME!'s atmosphere.

Also if you've finished BLAME! and haven't ready Tsutomo Nihei's other works yet, go read BiOmega and Abara for something with a similar tone. There's also NOiSE, which is a prequel to BLAME!, and I have just learned has had a hardcover reprint so if you'll excuse me I have an Amazon order to make even though I have an original softcover version... :shepspends:

I appreciate all these recs! I added Signalis to my backlog and will read Tsutomo's other works, I think the only one I've already read is BiOmega. :D

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

ninjewtsu posted:

imo give 86 a shot. trigun stampede too, that's a lot more up front about the darker elements of the trigun story

I think 86 got a decent amount of praise here when it aired, but at the time I was pretty strapped for time due to starting a new job. Think I'll give that a shot first. Thanks.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
My hardcover copy of NOiSE arrived today, and it's very nice if anyone else likes Tsutomo Nihei's works. It's about the same size as a regular manga volume (The actual pages and art are the same size as the original softcover manga volume), just with a nice sturdy hardcover. They've done a new translation for it too that's very solid, and it even includes the original BLAME! short story that the original release did too. (With a minor translation quibble in it of "Killy" being more directly translated as "Kyrii" here, but meh it's just a neat short story of Killy Shoots Stuff.)

Peteyfoot posted:

I appreciate all these recs! I added Signalis to my backlog and will read Tsutomo's other works, I think the only one I've already read is BiOmega. :D

Add SNIKT! to the list as well, I picked up that as well and it was a good fun time. And very much a Tsutomo work in setting and tone.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

I’ve already seen Code Gease, and some Kaiji.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Rinkles posted:

I wanna watch a psychological thriller in the vein of Death Note. Or something like Monster.

Paranoia Agent

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Rinkles posted:

First season of Psycho Pass. Odd Taxi. Perfect Blue. The original Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Paranoia Agent

Only saw an episode or two a decade plus so ago, but iirc it was a little weirder than what I'm currently in the mood for.

Julias posted:

First season of Psycho Pass. Odd Taxi. Perfect Blue. The original Boogiepop Phantom. Serial Experiments Lain.

Seen all these, though I might revisit Boogiepop because i remember hardly anything about it besides the OP.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Steins;Gate, Inuyashiki, or Monster are the only ones I can think of that havnt been mentioned.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Code Geese

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Rinkles posted:

Banana Fish mayyyybeeee...? lot more drama than psychological but it pwns

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Rinkles posted:

In the vein of Kaiji, have you watched One Outs by the same director?

Some others: Shinsekai Yori, ID Invaded, Kokkoku

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ohh yeah Shinsekai Yori is good for that rec

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

mouryou no hako?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

I just started this yesterday. Its kind of weird.

I guess if Kaiji is on the table what about Kakegurui?

e: Erased might work but I feel like Im reaching pretty hard on both "psychological" and "thriller" with anything else that pops into mind. Devilman Crybaby?

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 16, 2023

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rinkles posted:

Or something like Monster.

Pluto, on Netflix. Same mangaka as monster, similar vibes, but robot murder instead.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 16, 2023

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And it asks the important question of "what if Astro Boy was deployed to Iraq in 2003?"

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Thanks for the suggestions. I hadn’t even heard of some of them.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Inuyashiki seems good, but the sadism in episode 2 was a bit too much for me atm.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Sorry for the offtopic but do we have a manga recommendation thread?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Just ask in this thread, it fulfils the same purpose

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Azran posted:

Sorry for the offtopic but do we have a manga recommendation thread?

Read Ikoku Nikki

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

quote:

Read Ikoku Nikki

Will do!

Azran fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Dec 18, 2023

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Azran posted:

I've been on a kick of lighthearted romantic SoL/comedies lately - Horimiya, Ookami no Otoko, Our Wonderful Days, Insomniacs After School, Futari Ashita mo Sorenari Ni, Nagatoro, etc. Any stuff you'd recommend?

You'll probably be into Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie then. Unless you are aware of it and think it's too mainstream?

Also, in general lighthearted romantic shoujo manga that I rather enjoyed sort of recently, there's Our Precious Conversations and Ran the Peerless Beauty. YMMV if you are not into shoujo manga.

A manga recommendation that I'm loving the hell out of it and I guess it's sort of comedy/SoL is Teppu about this tall girl who's really good at all sorts of sports without trying to the point of boredom, but when she finds two short girls being trained by a MMA champion, she gets heavily into it to find a way to beat them, since it's the first time she actually feels challenged. If you have any interest about martial arts, panels of characters doing the crazy eyes thing, and girls kicking rear end, get into that one ASAP.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Azran posted:

Will do!

Saoshyant beat me to it, but yeah Shikimori fits the bill perfectly. I'd also add, Drinking is for Married Couples*, Wotakoi, Yandere Kanojo**, Oresama Teacher, Ojojojo, Miss Komori Can't Decline, and Senryu Shoujo.

* All of this authors manga qualify actually.

** The title is a play on the words Yankee and Dere to mean that the girl is delinquent yankee, but very lovey dovey and dere to her BF.

Saoshyant posted:

You'll probably be into Shikimori's Not Just a Cutie then. Unless you are aware of it and think it's too mainstream?

Also, in general lighthearted romantic shoujo manga that I rather enjoyed sort of recently, there's Our Precious Conversations and Ran the Peerless Beauty. YMMV if you are not into shoujo manga.

A manga recommendation that I'm loving the hell out of it and I guess it's sort of comedy/SoL is Teppu about this tall girl who's really good at all sorts of sports without trying to the point of boredom, but when she finds two short girls being trained by a MMA champion, she gets heavily into it to find a way to beat them, since it's the first time she actually feels challenged. If you have any interest about martial arts, panels of characters doing the crazy eyes thing, and girls kicking rear end, get into that one ASAP.

It's always nice to see Shikimori I'snt Just Cute get some positive rep due to the toxic reception the anime got. For the Teppu rec, I'd also like to add Saotome Senshu, Hitakakusu which is about the schools boxing beast champion dating her kouhai trainer in secret, Hanakaku: Last Girl Standing which is about a bullied put-upon girl getting into MMA after meeting its club members(this ends abruptly which REALLY sucked, but itmwas still a great read).

I'm also gonna rec Medalist because why not, it's an awesome manga and everyone should be reading it.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Azran posted:

If you somehow haven't read it, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is really excellent, one of the funniest mangas I've ever read. It's a 4koma romcom with emphasis on the comedy.

I also recently picked up Hagino-san Wants to Quit the Wind Ensemble which has been pretty funny and lighthearted so far (especially as a former band nerd), but I'm only 5 chapters in and I don't know if there's any "real" romance or if the existing crush is just there to bounce jokes off of.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Mentat Radnor posted:

If you somehow haven't read it, Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun is really excellent, one of the funniest mangas I've ever read. It's a 4koma romcom with emphasis on the comedy.

I also recently picked up Hagino-san Wants to Quit the Wind Ensemble which has been pretty funny and lighthearted so far (especially as a former band nerd), but I'm only 5 chapters in and I don't know if there's any "real" romance or if the existing crush is just there to bounce jokes off of.

The Nozaki-kun one reminded me of Tonari no Seki-kun as well as that Teasing Master Takagi ended not too long ago and also has a sequel of them as married adults with a daughter. Very cute and wholesome.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Mentat Radnor posted:

:hmmyes: This is the real answer.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Does Nozaki ever get to the rom bit? It's funny but I got bored because nothing ever progressed and it was a gag manga before anything else.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Sakurazuka posted:

Does Nozaki ever get to the rom bit? It's funny but I got bored because nothing ever progressed and it was a gag manga before anything else.

Not really, it is indeed a gag manga first and foremost. There are baby steps of progress here and there, and one couple is totally dating, but of course only one of them knows that. I hope the author develops that aspect more eventually, but there's no sign of publication ending any time soon as far as I'm aware so I just enjoy the jokes for now. They're very good jokes.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

I would say things on the romance part have been speeding up lately. Even the most oblivious person in existence had a sudden realization at the end of Vol 13:

I mean, no pair of people drawn that way could be anything else but a couple,
but ya know, baby steps :v:

Edit: it's not a big spoiler or anything, just a funny face, but might as well mark it so since this is a recommendation thread.

Saoshyant fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 18, 2023

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

Thanks a ton for the recs! Will check them out. Also yeah, forgot to list them but I've already read Takagi (great, no notes), When Will Ayumu Make His Move (it reeeeeally dragged towards the end but it was pretty cute) and Nozaki-kun is an all timer. The lack of an anime followup to its first cour is one of the biggest crimes of our era, I'll tell ya.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Azran posted:

Will do!

Skip and Loafer

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Azran posted:

Thanks a ton for the recs! Will check them out. Also yeah, forgot to list them but I've already read Takagi (great, no notes), When Will Ayumu Make His Move (it reeeeeally dragged towards the end but it was pretty cute) and Nozaki-kun is an all timer. The lack of an anime followup to its first cour is one of the biggest crimes of our era, I'll tell ya.

Forgot to add Mogusa-san to the list. Guy who's family runs a restaurant discovers his cute class neighbors quirky eating habits(hiding mints on her cheeks chipmunk style, eating pocky while hiding it as a pencil, putting down an entire large set of fried chicken).

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Also Onno no Sono no Hoshi. It isn't romantic, but it's a funny slice of life with great art and clever dialogue.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

doomrider7 posted:

It's always nice to see Shikimori I'snt Just Cute get some positive rep due to the toxic reception the anime got.

Wait what happened to the anime?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

theres nothing wrong with the anime, a bunch of zoomers on other sites made a stink about it because they didnt like how wimpy the MC was, or something. idk i dont read other sites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Glagha posted:

Wait what happened to the anime?

The reception in the West was WILDLY negative for the most part for very vague reasons, but a LOT of really toxic hatred for the male MC Izumi. It was incredibly disturbing and off-putting. The anime did have flaws in that it overplayed his clumsiness and bad luck and did skip some fan favorite chapters, but overall it was a cute, goofy, wholesome fluff romcom.