Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
FFS

"targeting of civilians just doesn't happen" according to Mark "Lying Bastard" Regev

https://x.com/SaulStaniforth/status/1736680962757415273?s=20

In 1970s New York City, Studio 54 is the epicenter of sex, drugs and disco music

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mourning Due
Oct 11, 2004

*~ missin u ~*
:canada:
Yargh...

Anyone dealt with UPS losing a parcel before?

I posted it on 2nd December, going to my family in Canada.

Was supposed to arrive on the 5th. I got a message saying, there's a delay, you'll be updated when the package is on its way.

Been busy so have just left it, thinking they'd just get it moving.

Called them Friday to find out wtf is going on, they guilt tripped me, saying I should have "called much sooner" if I wanted an investigation started and have any chance of the package arriving. I'm like...doesn't your system do this automatically? What's the point of all the tracking if it's not monitored?

Now looking unlikely not only that it will arrive for Christmas, but that it will arrive at all. They're going to contact me later in the week but I'm not hopeful.

And if they don't find it, then I imagine we'll get back just the £50 I put on the packing slip, and not the ~£250 that we actually paid for the stuff. Stupid, I know, but I don't want my folks to have to pay import duties on just a few gifts, it's a big faff every time.

I guess I could re buy some of the poo poo over Amazon or something for them...but then what if the package DOES arrive? Then they have two of the same thing with no way to return either!

Any advice on escalating complaints etc with UPS? And anybody else having particularly poo poo delivery service across the board this year? Who would have thought, putting people out of work for the sake of the bottom line means that society suffers AND the service sucks. gently caress!

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Mebh posted:

Life is too short to waste on toxic people. Don't do it OP.

Blood is thicker than water is bullshit.

It's because the way people truncate the quote has inverted it's meaning.

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" - The bonds you choose are more important than the bonds you're born with.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

PriorMarcus posted:

I wish I could cut her out entirely, but then I think about her by herself, with no real friends or means to see people easily, and it breaks my heart.

PriorMarcus posted:

but I feel obligated to see her by virtue of her being my mum.

PriorMarcus posted:

I'm always somewhat worried, that despite everyone else agreeing with how I see her, that I'm overreacting or being overly sensitive to how she makes me feel, and I'll regret cutting her out with some distance.

I reckon you and my wife would have a lot to talk about, because I recognise a lot of what you say in what my wife has said, before she cut off her mum 10 years ago.

My wife has always had this fantasy that she could somehow reconcile with her mum, like in the movies. That her mum would have some change of heart, some revelation, even it's on her deathbed. Every story has a happy ending right? Especially if it's your story and you need it to have a happy ending. It took my wife a long time to accept that that just wasn't going to happen - her mum is going to remain a narcissist until the very end.

My wife regularly had depressive episodes before severing. Since severing, her mental health is far far better. She lives a happier life. She doesn't regret it. She was lucky she had unwavering support from me because she wouldn't have done it if they're was any doubt it was the right thing to do. It sounds like you have that support too, thankfully.

I'm not sure how much your partner is willing to 'manage' your mum, but for us, I was willing to do the weekly phone calls and odd-jobs and what-have-you, just to keep my wife at a distance while also giving my wife the assurance that her mum wasn't withering away in isolation.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

blunt posted:

"The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb" - The bonds you choose are more important than the bonds you're born with.

Bollocks, I don't believe this for a second. The original makes much more sense and is much pithier, that sounds like a post hoc addition to sound smarter than it actually is

Edit: I hate the phrase blod is thicker than water, and agree that you should cut toxic people out of your life, even if they are relatives

Oct 4, 2005

Mourning Due posted:

Yargh...

Was supposed to arrive on the 5th. I got a message saying, there's a delay, you'll be updated when the package is on its way.

Called them Friday to find out wtf is going on, they guilt tripped me, saying I should have "called much sooner" if I wanted an investigation started and have any chance of the package arriving. I'm like...doesn't your system do this automatically? What's the point of all the tracking if it's not monitored?

Now looking unlikely not only that it will arrive for Christmas, but that it will arrive at all. They're going to contact me later in the week but I'm not hopeful.

And if they don't find it, then I imagine we'll get back just the £50 I put on the packing slip, and not the ~£250 that we actually paid for the stuff. Stupid, I know, but I don't want my folks to have to pay import duties on just a few gifts, it's a big faff every time.

I guess I could re buy some of the poo poo over Amazon or something for them...but then what if the package DOES arrive? Then they have two of the same thing with no way to return either!

Any advice on escalating complaints etc with UPS? And anybody else having particularly poo poo delivery service across the board this year? Who would have thought, putting people out of work for the sake of the bottom line means that society suffers AND the service sucks. gently caress!

I work in this industry (kind of)

UPS are not THE worst, but they are one of the worst. In future, you probably want to use fedex. They cost more but are the best of a bad bunch.

UPS will make very little effort to actually find a box unless its something very expensive or from a big supplier, and even then they might just shrug and point to their limited liability insurance. I remember years ago there was a news article of them selling off lost post, even though it was clearly labelled where it had come from. If their barcode falls off the box then they give up immediately.

Your best hope is that its ended up at the wrong depot and will be rescanned once it reaches it, but god knows when it will be re-routed if thats the case.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news mate, but its probably gone.

Lodge your claim. You might get lucky and they give you the £50 and then deliver the box next month.

https://www.ups.com/claims/dashboard?loc=en_GB

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Mourning Due posted:

Yargh...

I had an issue with my new laptop being delivered by UPS. But I was on the case with them within minutes (because I was delivered a parcel meant for someone else in the same town so I hoped either that my parcel had gone there or that the UPS driver was still in the town). Took me a while to get hold of anyone because their Customer Services are all US based (or it seems that way).
Amazon has a Canada branch, maybe you could order via that so your relatives could return that way if the other parcel does turn up?

Here's the amazon canada gift return page https://www.amazon.ca/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=GMTDJ6XPUMN7NWNB

(Btw is it worth sending gifts abroad if they can be sourced in the foreign country? We used to beg people not to send gifts to us in Egypt because (a) post was extremely unreliable and (b) the customs fees often far exceeded the value of the object. I know Canada isn't Egypt but...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Microplastics posted:

I reckon you and my wife would have a lot to talk about, because I recognise a lot of what you say in what my wife has said, before she cut off her mum 10 years ago.

My wife has always had this fantasy that she could somehow reconcile with her mum, like in the movies. That her mum would have some change of heart, some revelation, even it's on her deathbed. Every story has a happy ending right? Especially if it's your story and you need it to have a happy ending. It took my wife a long time to accept that that just wasn't going to happen - her mum is going to remain a narcissist until the very end.

My wife regularly had depressive episodes before severing. Since severing, her mental health is far far better. She lives a happier life. She doesn't regret it. She was lucky she had unwavering support from me because she wouldn't have done it if they're was any doubt it was the right thing to do. It sounds like you have that support too, thankfully.

I'm not sure how much your partner is willing to 'manage' your mum, but for us, I was willing to do the weekly phone calls and odd-jobs and what-have-you, just to keep my wife at a distance while also giving my wife the assurance that her mum wasn't withering away in isolation.

My partner would definitely be willing to do this. I'm not sure it's something I'd want her to do, but she would. My mum routinely 'plays dumb' on stuff, like bills and paperwork, and has me do it for her, and I've come to realize this is just another method of control.

Any details you could give, or anyone could give, about the process of cutting them out would be appreciated.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Scientastic posted:

Bollocks, I don't believe this for a second. The original makes much more sense and is much pithier, that sounds like a post hoc addition to sound smarter than it actually is
:scotland: version makes the most sense, it is wider

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

blunt posted:

That's a recent invention. Blood is thicker than water is an ancient saying.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

blunt posted:

"Covenant" gives me loony christian vibes, nope.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Whenever I feel like I'm getting on really well with someone I've met recently, I invite them to perform the ritual and enter the covenant

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

"Covenant" gives me loony christian vibes, nope.

If it helps, reading through the Wikipedia page for blood is thicker than water had taught me the covenant version comes from Islam instead of Christianity 🙃

quote:

We, in the West, are accustomed to say that "blood is thicker than water"; but the Arabs have the idea that blood is thicker than milk, than a mother's milk. With them, any two children nourished at the same breast are called "milk-brothers," or "sucking brothers"; and the tie between such is very strong. […] But the Arabs hold that brothers in the covenant of blood are closer than brothers at a common breast; that those who have tasted each other's blood are in a surer covenant than those who have tasted the same milk together; that "blood-lickers," as the blood-brothers are sometimes called, are more truly one than "milk-brothers," or "sucking brothers"; that, indeed, blood is thicker than milk, as well as thicker than water.[15]

But yeah, until today I didn't realise there were multiple versions through history/society or that the pub quiz fact I'd remembered didn't tell the full story!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Scientastic posted:

And you're correct to doubt. The "blood of the covenant" reinterpretation is less than thirty years old, and it is the precise opposite of the original intent which was that bonds of family were stronger than those of faith - the water is the water of baptism.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
that sounds like vampires

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
But blood attracts draculas and baptismal water repels them.

Not sure what the vampiric opinion of milk is.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

But blood attracts draculas and baptismal water repels them.

Not sure what the vampiric opinion of milk is.

It's good for their fangs.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
what about piss

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Adrian Chiles: Vampire Hunter

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

Guavanaut posted:

:scotland: version makes the most sense, it is wider

Misread the MacLeod as manchego and got so excited and the prospect of a manchego black pudding.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Nuclear Spoon posted:

what about piss

If your piss is coming out either bloody or milky you might need to get to A&E or an STI clinic

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

blunt posted:

If it helps, reading through the Wikipedia page for blood is thicker than water had taught me the covenant version comes from Islam instead of Christianity 🙃

But yeah, until today I didn't realise there were multiple versions through history/society or that the pub quiz fact I'd remembered didn't tell the full story!

There's supposedly an idea in Saudi Arabia - where women are supposed to fully cover when in the presence of unrelated men - that if they let their male servants suckle on them, then they can wear their normal "uncovered" clothing in front of them. Whether there is any truth in this or whether it is anti-Islamic (as it is practised in Saudia) propaganda, I don't know!

(This sucking on breasts is called "radaah" and also predates Islam - it creates a familial relationship between the sucker and the sucked - ie they can't get married - except not if it is a woman's husband, that's allowed without making them 'mahram'.)

https://handwiki.org/wiki/Religion:Rada_(fiqh)

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSL21730612/ (Lecturer suspended after breastfeeding fatwa)
(NB for those who don't know - fatwas are NOT 'death sentences' though this is the impression given by western media! They are just religious rulings.)

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 18, 2023

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

lol, lmao

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
kind-of-good news in itself, compared to what was potentially on the table, but god, the undertone from presumably badenoch et al

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/18/schools-in-england-will-not-have-to-flag-pupils-asking-about-gender

quote:

Teachers in England will not be made to automatically “out” pupils who come to them with questions over gender identity, despite a push from Conservative rightwingers for a blanket approach, government guidance due to be published this week will say. Schools will be expected to inform parents if children tell staff that they want to take any steps towards transitioning, but they will not have to flag conversations if children are just asking general questions, or in the event of safeguarding issues.

The decision to keep some protections in place so that children are not automatically outed is likely to frustrate some on the Tory right who have been pushing for parents to be told in all circumstances.

“Children can be very confused about these things and just want to have a conversation about it and what it all means with a trusted adult,” one government insider said. “That shouldn’t necessarily mean it is automatically flagged to parents.”

Rishi Sunak had initially pledged to deliver the guidance by the end of the summer term but missed his own deadline after months of internal disagreements on the issue, including over whether the guidance would be compatible with equalities law. The government initially considered introducing an outright ban on social transitioning – when children change their names, pronouns and uniforms but have not yet embarked on a clinical path – but concluded it would require new legislation. Ministers had also hoped to include an absolute ban on primary school children transitioning in this way, but this also potentially breached equality law. Sources said the guidance would be “as close to a ‘no’ as possible” for younger children without running counter to legal requirements, while primary schools would be urged to take a particularly cautious approach.

The fact that equalities law is preventing the government from going as far as it might will enrage the right of the party. However, Tory insiders suggested that Kemi Badenoch, the equalities minister, had no plans to change the law to drive through changes.

“She would generally like to go further but can’t because she’s not prepared to take action on the legislation,” one said. “If you open up the equalities act then lots of other groups would want to make changes and you’re also likely to have people pushing for stronger protections on trans issues than we already have.”

The guidance is expected to advise schools to maintain separate toilets, changing rooms and contact sports for girls and boys. Plans for children to have to see a doctor before being allowed to socially transition as part of a compulsory “clinical gateway” have been dropped after the NHS said it did not have capacity. Government sources said there was no longer any disagreement between Badenoch and the education secretary, Gillian Keegan, on policy, although they conceded there were differences in tone after Badenoch suggested schools were facing an “epidemic” of children saying they are transgender.

The guidance will not come into effect in classrooms until the spring as there will be a 12-week consultation period first. It will be in place before the next general election, during which the Tories are expected to use it as a wedge issue with the Labour party.
:unsmith: 'we couldn't put the boot into trans kids as hard as we wanted this time, but at least we can litigate their existence as an election wedge issue'

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
too colossal a oval office even for the colossal oval office party

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Sticking my head out the window of my car, across the school playground and directly into the face of an overworked year four teacher: "any of your kids showing signs of gender ideology?"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

Sticking my head out the window of my car, across the school playground and directly into the face of an overworked year four teacher: "any of your kids showing signs of gender ideology?"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Skibidi Toilet Pervert.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Eve Fartlower

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's a dril tweet you can't fool me.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Oh no life peer billionare michelle mone is no longer in the conservative party, I'm sure she is gutted.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

keep punching joe posted:

Oh no life peer billionare michelle mone is no longer in the conservative party, I'm sure she is gutted.

Her face sure has been

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Diet Crack posted:

Eve Fartlower

hosed up that Generation Zed/Zee forced the wokesters at the Vatican, the Latin Patriarchate of Jerusalem, and the Archbishopric of Canterbury to make up all of this stuff about the IDF bombing a convent and sniping at nuns on Gaudete Sunday.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Mourning Due posted:

Any advice on escalating complaints etc with UPS? And anybody else having particularly poo poo delivery service across the board this year?

No but I just shipped a parcel from Spain to Canada with UPS. It did arrive but all the while I was marvelling at how such a humongous company ($138 BILLION USD market capitalization) can have such a poo poo website that doesn't work, and seemingly how disorganised they are. Originally I booked the pickup for the next day, they said "Yep, GUARANTEED pickup between 10am and 2pm on Tuesday"... which didn't happen. Then the next 3 days of the week were a public holiday in Spain so they had to pick up the next Monday instead.

I had it booked to be delivered to and held at a UPS store so I could pick it up, and I kept getting messages saying they couldn't deliver it to the store and they were going to divert it to my house... fine, whatever. Then more messages saying they couldn't deliver to my house and it was going to be delivered to the store. Then it was going to be delivered on Thursday GUARANTEED but didn't get there til Friday. I called the store on Thursday to find out if it was there and the guy at the store said "Can I call you back, I'm busy at the moment"... never called back. And just generally their website was a huge pain to deal with. I had to go through some big rigmarole about how to actually book the delivery because apparently if you're booking something to be picked up somewhere else and delivered to you, rather than picked up from you and delivered elsewhere, you have to book it as a "return" otherwise the website won't let you book it. Then when it was telling me the package was being diverted it said I could change that but I had to enroll my online account into "UPS your choice" or some bullshit, and then when I tried to do that the website sent me into some login loop or something that just flat out didn't work. So I just said "gently caress it" and waited and eventually they said "Oh, no, actually we can deliver it where you originally asked us to" and it turned up, I got an email saying it was there for collection, and it was all basically fine.

So yes I did get it eventually and honestly the price wasn't bad (about €100 for a fairly large, 4.5kg package from Spain to Canada), but I'm not at all surprised that they have poo poo just go completely missing. This was my first time using them. I don't think I'd use them for anything that had to be at a place by a particular date but for this package it didn't matter.

Somebody up-thread mentioned FedEx being better but the main thing I know about FedEx is that they are absolute robbing bastards. I've had stuff imported to me via FedEx and their "handling" charges for dealing with customs stuff are just a loving joke. With UPS I just paid some sales tax on an imported item (something like $70CAD) and then their "handling charge" for dealing with the taxes were like, $18 - still too much but not all that bad really. With Fedex, I remember having something imported into the UK and the taxes were like £18 but the FedEx "handling charge" and possibly some other bullshit charge I can't remember on there added up to like £50. And it's not like you have a choice but to pay it. Pricks.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Dec 18, 2023

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

This is just international freight/shipping in general, it's all loving garbage

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Diet Crack posted:

This is just international freight/shipping in general, it's all loving garbage

There are degrees though.

I was originally quoted €450 from the seller to ship my package and I said "No, gently caress off, I'll arrange it myself". Could have literally gotten a return flight from Canada to Spain for less and picked up the package myself.

It's just that you would think that a $140bn company would have its poo poo together... if you had no experience of the world under capitalism.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Just as an FYI, we got word from our Freight partners that the big shipping companies are avoiding the Suez canal because of the attacks on cargo ships off Yemen.

It wont affect anything in the run up to Christmas, but pretty much all goods east of the Med will get an extra 4 weeks travel time. I'd say it would affect clothing & electronics goods the most so we might get delays.

Oct 4, 2005

In my defence, yes Fedex will charge through the nose, but your parcel has a much higher chance of actually turning up.

Also, I have experience with the UPS and FEDEX API's.

As bad as the UPS website is, let me tell you, their back end is actually worse.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Apraxin posted:

kind-of-good news in itself, compared to what was potentially on the table, but god, the undertone from presumably badenoch et al

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2023/dec/18/schools-in-england-will-not-have-to-flag-pupils-asking-about-gender

:unsmith: 'we couldn't put the boot into trans kids as hard as we wanted this time, but at least we can litigate their existence as an election wedge issue'

I'm glad that trans kids get to be used as a wedge issue in the next election, I'm sure this bodes well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

FedEx charged me (someone else) an arm and a leg to ship my Christmas/Birthday present from Hong Kong last year, so when they sent an additional bill for about 46 quid for handling and whatever else, I paid it myself out of guilt.

That is my international shipping story.