Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
Y'all making me miss the absolute battleground that G+ was. Now everyone's on their own islands instead of being forced to talk to each other on a forgotten Google product.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Ironically it was easier to wall yourself off in the G+ days because you could limit contact to strictly your inner circles. Several noted shitlords did that and stewed in their filth and arranged "anonymous" harassment campaigns doing that.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Looking at the Deadlands 20th Anniversary edition, it is extremely surreal to see all the same art pieces from the original books but redrawn and colored.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Looking at the Deadlands 20th Anniversary edition, it is extremely surreal to see all the same art pieces from the original books but redrawn and colored.

I got into the hobby again when Deadlands and 7th Sea ruled all, just before the d20 flood. It is wild to see how high production quality has come (though I wish artists were paid far better given that quality).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

PuttyKnife posted:

I got into the hobby again when Deadlands and 7th Sea ruled all, just before the d20 flood. It is wild to see how high production quality has come (though I wish artists were paid far better given that quality).

Yeah. You still had Ron Spencer all over the place in Deadlands but the coloring was very flat back then.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

To me, the really essential characteristic of a TTRPG isn't narrative -- although narrative is nice -- but the combination of factors where play is asymmetric, there's relatively gentle pressure to perform well, and there's an extensive toolkit for creating your own scenarios. "Game mastered games" might almost be a better descriptor, although it doesn't exactly roll off the tongue.

You don't consider GM-less RPGs to be RPGs?

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah. You still had Ron Spencer all over the place in Deadlands but the coloring was very flat back then.

I ought to look up what Ron Spencer has been up to. drat if his Deadlands, Deadlands: Hell on Earth and Deadlands: Lost Colony logos weren't iconic.

I miss a good hand-drawn RPG logo. Noble Knight has or had the original piece of art for the Shadowrun logo- boy would I kill to own that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Tarnop posted:

You don't consider GM-less RPGs to be RPGs?

A GM-less game still meets the three criteria I suggested, so that just sounds like another knock against the label.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

That Old Tree posted:

Typical haterade :colbert: Exalted 3 is just shy of 700 pages, much like Mage 20th Anniversary, because IIRC that is the physical maximum for Lightning Source to be able to print books.

Yeah, I was gonna get an accurate page count but I couldn't schedule time at the only copy of the book around here, on one of those giant lecterns where you have to use a huge ornate stick to turn the pages in the This Book Has 13,000 Charms But Only Like Fifty Of The Actually Matter Museum.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Hey, Did You Want To Do Something Unique and Cool? Too Bad, Buy More Attack Buffs and Don't-Die Powers Instead

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm just going to take this opportunity to point you to Golden Calibration, my rewrite of the entire 3e Solar Charmset, which I think stands as an argument in favor of there being nothing really wrong with the design ethos of Exalted 3e's core and everything wrong with the fact that they send these books out into the world with insufficient editing and bad layout.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
Even without plugging your own work, I feel like the rest of Exalted 3e already proves that the problem isn't necessarily the rules and the philosophy behind them. (Well, other than the fact that making a system like Exalted at a reasonable pace isn't economically feasible for OPP any more.) The problem is that the core of Exalted 3e was made by assholes who didn't want to trim out any part of their horrible, bloated baby of a charm set.

(Okay, I haven't read any Exalted 3e splatbooks myself, but I've heard positive things and that by itself is already a miracle after everything else about 3e's development.)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Lurks With Wolves posted:

Even without plugging your own work, I feel like the rest of Exalted 3e already proves that the problem isn't necessarily the rules and the philosophy behind them. (Well, other than the fact that making a system like Exalted at a reasonable pace isn't economically feasible for OPP any more.) The problem is that the core of Exalted 3e was made by assholes who didn't want to trim out any part of their horrible, bloated baby of a charm set.

(Okay, I haven't read any Exalted 3e splatbooks myself, but I've heard positive things and that by itself is already a miracle after everything else about 3e's development.)

But I only removed a single tree and I added more Charms than I removed, so the fact that people react differently to Golden Calibration tells me that people think the Charmset is difficult to navigate because of the number of Charms, but it's actually because they're badly laid-out.

Zoeb
Oct 8, 2023

Dislike me? Don't spend $10 on a title. Donate to the Palestinian Red Crescent or Doctors Without Borders
https://www.palestinercs.org/en
https://www.doctorswithoutborders.org/

Kestral posted:

There are Too Many tradgames discords, born out of mutual animosity.

Why do they dislike each other?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Zoeb posted:

I'm reasonably certain I can't answer this without violating forum rules and eating a probe, alas.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoeb posted:

There was completely dumb drama years ago but afaik there's really only one active one anymore.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

The people invested enough in your community of dedicated hobbyists to take the trouble to run an unofficial chat server that spun off of it, are probably also going to be the people who have been involved in drama at some point and have several people who hate them.

Sometimes those people who hate them start their own Discord server which is just as official as the first one. Sometimes you wind up with fractal Discord servers! Some people say that this is how Discord first came into being.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Well they don't call it "Accord," that's for sure

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Turns out the golden apple really said "to the pettiest".

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Turns out the golden apple really said "to the pettiest".

lol

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zoeb posted:

goons are terrible lol

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Zoeb posted:

The answer to this question has faded from my memory. All that remains is a cryptic phrase: "loose beef."

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Zoeb posted:

Too many goons define themselves by their posting enemies.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I hate everyone equally, but the upside of it is that my hate has spread across so many people that individually it only inspires a warm buzz in my heart for any single person.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Give peace a chance.

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Plutonis posted:

Give peace a chance.

I would but they don’t like that game. They say the system is garbage.

Well I say they’re garbage! Ha!

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

dwarf74 posted:

Too many goons define themselves by their posting enemies.

I would simply choose not to let goons live rent-free inside my head.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
What was the name of the RPG that you played yourself and there were all kinds of weird ways to generate your stats like hold up milk jugs and spin in circles. Also you were a time traveler.

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Hollismason posted:

What was the name of the RPG that you played yourself and there were all kinds of weird ways to generate your stats like hold up milk jugs and spin in circles. Also you were a time traveler.

Time Wizards?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Whirling posted:

Time Wizards?

Its Time Lords. Really obtuse game but I remember playing it in the 90s and it was fun.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Villains and Vigilantes 1e did something like that too.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Hollismason posted:

Its Time Lords. Really obtuse game but I remember playing it in the 90s and it was fun.

I never played Time Lords, but I played Spacetime which used the same basic system, it was super crunchy, 15 year old me loved it but there's no way I'd play it now.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I won a copy of Time Stories Revolutions: A Midsummer Night as a prize at my lgs. My wife has agreed to play it with me over Christmas- neither of us has played a game like this before. Is there anything we should know going in to make it as fun as possible?

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Is that the one where you determine your charisma purely by convincing the GM of what it should be?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Wrestlepig posted:

Is that the one where you determine your charisma purely by convincing the GM of what it should be?

That's hilarious and sad and maddening all at the same time. Using your actual abilities to determine your elfgames abilities is some bullshit.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies
everdell asks that you determine start player by who is the most humble, which i think is self-defeating

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Mister Olympus posted:

everdell asks that you determine start player by who is the most humble, which i think is self-defeating

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOfZLb33uCg&t=147s

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Kwyndig posted:

That's hilarious and sad and maddening all at the same time. Using your actual abilities to determine your elfgames abilities is some bullshit.

If it's Time Ship it's because it is an extremely silly outsider style game in which you play as yourself. The whole game is written like the user manual to a time travel device and gameplay is basically the GM describing a portal opening up in the room and all the players getting up and going through it. The rules are absolutely terrible, and the three adventures it comes with vacillate wildly between Doctor Who style silliness and sexually grody (one of the adventures is to visit Sodom in the days before the judgement of it and the first rules it has for that section are how the players will naturally want to gently caress local prostitutes so here's some STI rules). The stats are funnier than just charisma, you also have to decide which from a list of ancient weapons you are personally most familiar with and the GM has the job of reviewing your decision and deciding if you're being honest about it or not.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Kwyndig posted:

You should try LIFTS where the Muscle Master times you doing exercises in place of random rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I am have ton of TTRPG pdfs I’d like to download on my old iPad. I’m looking for an app I can make folders in for ease of reference that can download straight from the browser. Any recommendations?