Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm the heathen who refunded Saga Scarlet Grace. Doesn't matter how good the combat is, having nothing outside of it but an overworld map is a death-knell.

I would be down for the sequel if its like Frontier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm the heathen who refunded Saga Scarlet Grace. Doesn't matter how good the combat is, having nothing outside of it but an overworld map is a death-knell.

I think you have assumed some things about "overworld maps" that aren't true for this game. But I'll humor you, why do you think having an overworld map instead of towns/dungeons is a bad thing?

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Immersive Sim just means you spend a solid amount of time crawling through air ducts

Cold Steel games were Immersive Sims

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I don't really enjoy any 40k stories except those where, at least on some level, you can feel the writers get the satire and don't try to bury it in fash cosplay. I honestly dislike 40k about as much as I do D&D5e, which is actually quite a lot.

So, basically, what I'm saying is I rather like Rogue Trader in roughly the same way I enjoy Ciaphas Cain books.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I would be down for the sequel if its like Frontier.

:dafuq:

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

I'd vouch for Cyberpunk. Its world is definitely the most aesthetically impressive of any "open world" I've ever seen in a game. It's downright jaw-dropping on the OLED TV with ray-traced reflections enabled, especially when it's night in the game.

It looks so good, and I was excited to hear about it way back...and then it was revealed to be entirely first-person, and first-person cameras have a 95% chance of making me sick.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
dont pay too much mind to gesicht. like half of what he posts makes no sense

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Runa posted:

I don't really enjoy any 40k stories except those where, at least on some level, you can feel the writers get the satire and don't try to bury it in fash cosplay. I honestly dislike 40k about as much as I do D&D5e, which is actually quite a lot.

So, basically, what I'm saying is I rather like Rogue Trader in roughly the same way I enjoy Ciaphas Cain books.

I like that they dared to do some really crazy ending stuff too, though there's probably no way it is ever going to be canon.

Act now, my child.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Should I speak the truth of my heart imsims are more rpg than any of them j ones, or the diablos and their ilk. In the diablo I am not really a "barbarian", I'm a set of numbers making other numbers happen.

But that is bad conversation so I take the position that It's All Good Man, tactical calculators deserve a spot under the sun and one may even call them "role playing games" out of historic convenience. God will sort you out in the end.

I jest, i jest.

Ofc I think half life and thief are also "role playing games" if I try hard enough, and smoke a joint just before.

It does seem that Cyberpunk seems to be the one this year, as I expect to find a 4090 under the tree. But im downloading all the Geneforges just in case, sometimes isometric jank makes a man happier than all the RTX rays in the world.

But what I'd really be interested in is some real hipster obscure poo poo that some eastern european lunatic developed during the balkan wars or some poo poo like that. I'm not brave enough to try Planet Alcatraz though.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

I say "imsim" because it's somehow even more off-putting than "immersive sim". It's my contribution to the world. Feel free to disgust everyone and yourself by saying it a lot as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
imsim sounds like a drug the augs would shoot up in deus ex

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I just have a hard time with the idea of someone going "This game is too YA and immature for me, so I am going to play a Warhammer 40k game."

Not that RT is bad. I just absolutely can not deal with the "fash is fun" elements of W40K so I just don't invest in it, but it's like the definition of goofy immature grimdark writing because that is the point. Anyone who takes it seriously is the kind of person you look side-eyed at.

this post is why i wont play BG3 or take its writing or fanbase seriously. game designed for the kind of people who make these posts

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

I would shoot imsim. In fact I'm trying to. I'm loving jonesin' for some. I'll crawl your vent for some loving imsim man I don't care man please

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

immersive sim is a term people made up to pretend that they werent just playing FPS RPGs

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
speaking of imsims, i am excited to pick up deadeye deepfake simulacrum in the upcoming steam sale! i really like the demo and it seems super neat.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wish that new dark alliance wasn't a gamemill-tier pump and dump

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

Planet Alcatraz is the krokodil of rpgs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
genres are always kind of silly by their nature, they're just vague descriptors and not a strict taxonomic classification of what a game is

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

this post is why i wont play BG3 or take its writing or fanbase seriously. game designed for the kind of people who make these posts

I'll still give BG3 a fair shot (origin companion memes have been pretty charming) but i definitely cannot take their take seriously. Even less seriously than I take 40k.

They're both patently ridiculous.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i just thought the marketing was cynical, i'll try the game out eventually

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think shadowheart is pure and good and deserves to be in another video game, one that i will like more. maybe a horse game. i never really played a horse game before but she fits the vibes of a horse game. i could see her grooming and riding horses.

Sumerian Telecom
Aug 27, 2022

https://store.steampowered.com/app/652410/Brigand_Oaxaca/

I don't know, what do you think? Seems kinda sketchy

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

did you know you can gently caress in this game?

Tequila Bob
Nov 2, 2011

IT'S HAL TIME, CHUMPS
I remember being on GameFAQs a long time ago and seeing all the arguments about "Is Zelda an RPG" come up over and over, because the site itself listed Zelda as an RPG. Funnily enough, nobody ever actually produced a workable definition of RPG on either side of the argument. "Immersive Sim" feels like the same situation.

My criteria for Immersive Sim is, can you stealth if you want? Can you fight if you prefer? Is there hidden stuff that rewards exploration? It's an immersive sim.

(This would make lots of CRPGs immersive sims. And all of the Romancing SaGa games, depending on how you define "stealth". I'm OK with this.)

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Sumerian Telecom posted:

people really like that one. i never got far into it, i can usually sink some time into janky stuff if its weird enough but it wasn't really like, my type of weird.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
"RPG" is one of the genres with a more concrete definition than most, it's a game with mechanics inspired by tabletop role-playing games

how many mechanics you "need" is like, up to discussion but the whole "but you play a role in EVERY GAME" thing is dumb

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sumerian Telecom posted:

brigand is a janky mess made by one guy who spends all the money he gets from the game on weed. its glitchy as gently caress but a lot of the writing is pretty amusing and if you embrace the jank it can be kinda fun to see how hard you can break the physics and systems. and it is kinda impressive that it was made by a single guy. theres worse ways to spend 8 bucks if you enjoy some jank.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph posted:

did you know you can gently caress in this game?

Genuinely think this poo poo does the game a huge disservice but it made people clap their hands like dumb seals because of the Epic Bear Sex scene so I guess Larian made the right move.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

I genuinely don't get why you keep trying to pick random fights with me but I'd appreciate if you'd stop it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

guy who made it is also pretty on the ball about fixing glitches if you report them on the steam forums (or at least figuring out workarounds for them)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Sumerian Telecom posted:

This game looks sick

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm an incredibly powerful gamer so I don't let marketing or even people saying silly things on the internet get in the way of enjoying a good game :cheerdoge:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

I'm an incredibly powerful gamer so I don't let marketing or even people saying silly things on the internet get in the way of enjoying a good game :cheerdoge:

fortunately, i said it was getting in the way of me enjoying bg3, not a good game :twisted:

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
there should be a game where you gently caress but its not fun and actually extremely awkward and kind of boring

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there should be a game where you gently caress but its not fun and actually extremely awkward and kind of boring

That's called Bioware games.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
brigand is a game where there is like a box you can't reach because your character is too short but if you add the dev's insert into your party and take control of them, they are taller and can reach the box. that is really funny and a good joke.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Saints Row 4's Companion Romance parodies were pretty good

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
unfortunately they were in Saints Row 4

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Sumerian Telecom posted:

Should I speak the truth of my heart imsims are more rpg than any of them j ones, or the diablos and their ilk. In the diablo I am not really a "barbarian", I'm a set of numbers making other numbers happen.

But that is bad conversation so I take the position that It's All Good Man, tactical calculators deserve a spot under the sun and one may even call them "role playing games" out of historic convenience. God will sort you out in the end.

I jest, i jest.

Cool resetera post where'd you find it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

"immersive sim" should be a genre name reserved exclusively for games where you are the manager of a hot spring or spa or swimming pool

I'm sure someone has made this joke already but please just humor me and pretend I'm the first