Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

I like the wider better too but move your horizon either up or down and crop off the top or bottom.

Yeah, I'd crop the top on that one but keep the wide view overall. But that's just, like, my opinion.

I noticed that I tend to either have a lot of empty space in my shots or make them really tight. With the landscape shots I seem to end up having a lot of "nothing" in them, or crop so tight there's no e.g. no sky and just trees visible. It bothers me a bit when you get a "little bit" of something.

L1008723 by C M, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Because negative space is rad

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Hot. drat.

grilledcheese
Aug 27, 2023

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

this is rad and i wouldn't change anything about it

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

ShoogaSlim posted:

as i get used to Lr, i'm agonizing over minor details and wondering if my edits are any better than the original versions of photos or if i'm just making a big mess of things. after a while i can't even tell what looks good or not or better or worse staring at the same image too long lol.

original

stupid edit

field balm posted:

Honestly I think the colours are very nice in the original, and still fine in your edit - I kind of prefer the greenish tint on the headlights in the original but thats just a taste thing. I think the crop you made does the image a disservice though, the foreground is the more interesting part of the image compared to the empty blue sky at the top and you've cut it off part way through a car. Crushed blacks are dramatic but it would be interesting to see with some more exposure on the forground? Nice shot eitherway!

took another crack at this keeping this feedback in mind. fixed the crop, and i resisted temptation to keep the shady parts shady so i could make things stand out and more visible (i actually went in and made it even brighter in the bottom portion after seeing it in the post preview bc it was still very dark). also, i still have a heavy tendency to lean more saturated and made the sky bluer than it probably needs to be?

getting the hang of playing with masks and de-selecting sections and adding to sections to tweak things how i want. so it's still all a nice learning process :) overall i'm way happier with this edit than the previous. i suppose that probably might be true for all creative processes until you go crazy and start hating every edit you make.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

xzzy posted:

Because negative space is rad

Heck yeah it is!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Ooo 😲

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

IMG_7642.jpg by Iain Compton, on Flickr

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

pleasant things being posted

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A3488 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3259 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3176 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3329 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3350 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3425 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Not sure who the people are in the last shot or what they are doing. Burying a hitchhiker they ran over, probably.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I just love it when you get the "layers" of mountains with some fog/mist/clouds/smog that make them look almost graphical.

Not sure about the crop on this one, it feels unbalanced somehow, what do you guys think? Or is it just a blah shot and I should nuke it?
DSC_2599-2 by C M, on Flickr

These other two I am happier with:

DSC_2604 by C M, on Flickr

DSC_2609-2 by C M, on Flickr

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The first one definitely has a balance problem. But there's nothing you can crop out without making it worse. I think it mostly comes from the cascade on the left coming out of the corner.

That third one is rad. I always make stuff like that a square crop so it's interesting when someone doesn't.

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

pleasant things being posted

Some really cool stuff these last few pages! I really like the shadow contrast here - with the tree detail it almost feels like a microscopic photo.

Speaking of trees, finally got myself outside and saw an absolutely ginormous fake one

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

xzzy posted:

The first one definitely has a balance problem. But there's nothing you can crop out without making it worse. I think it mostly comes from the cascade on the left coming out of the corner.

That third one is rad. I always make stuff like that a square crop so it's interesting when someone doesn't.

Yeah, I kept fiddling with crops on the first one and just can't make it happen. I think it's the two similar cascades messing things up. I like the look of the area though so will have to go back and try some different angles of these falls.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A couple of shots from today.

Z7 II, 24-70 f/4 S at 70mm, f/8, 1/1600, ISO 64

Z7II, FTZ + 70-300 AF-P at 210mm, f/8, 1/250, ISO 90. Heavily cropped.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Wibla posted:

Outstanding! What a stunning photograph. Love it!

Whoa! Rad. This demands to be printed as large as physically possible

one more from me

313A3175 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

absolutely crushing it lately mr squares! these 2 especially are great imo

Wibla posted:

great shot, excellent framing!

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

i really like these two paired together

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

it's like a case study in color contrast.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Thanks for all the kind words! 😁

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

dtla-1 by William S, on Flickr

did some edits on this for a while and then dumped them all to walk away from the computer and start over again from scratch. pretty pleased with how this one came out the second time around.

Wibla posted:

^^ these are all way sick

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Pulled out some old photos from trips before I owned a real camera and ran 'em through the ol' sepia toner

IMG_5854 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_5819 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_5748 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_5373 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_4266 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_4068 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

IMG_0367 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

May contain traces of nuts...
Looks like you had a good eye before you had a good camera.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sepia doesn't really help any of them, IMO.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Here's one in B&W where I really loved the fog

IMG_5853 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
That’s much better. I don’t think I have seen any use of sepia on digital files that ever looked good vs just B&W.

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
I'm not a huge fan of sepia in general, those look fairly good coloring wise. The shots themselves are fantastic 😍. But I may agree with just straight b+w over sepia, but I'm biased against sepia. I almost feel like maybe starting b+w and then color grading with wild colors might be better than b+w for digital.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

That’s incredibly pleasant to look at

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae

That's good stuff right there.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

313A4246-Enhanced-NR by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4238 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A3905 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

313A4235 by Austin DeGroot, on Flickr

El Laucha
Oct 9, 2012

Love the last one!

Viginti Septem
Jan 9, 2021

Oculus Noctuae
Blue squares, you're on fire.

p0stal b0b
May 7, 2003

Yes.

Viginti Septem posted:

Blue squares, you're on fire.

Concur. This page is killing it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

😍😍😍

Outstanding shot, composition and color contrast

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Can only add to the love here. What a great, well balanced shot.

I kind of miss the CCD on my Leica M9. It made for some fairly dramatic and a little overcooked shots but I did like it:
L1009130 by C M, on Flickr

The Canon 1D4 was with me on the same trip and it was more laid back:
DQ6J3580 by C M, on Flickr

DQ6J3525-2 by C M, on Flickr