Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So far, my top bachelorette choice is Mi-an. But I haven't had Nia show up yet, so she's the only one who could possibly dethrone Mi-an, but it will be tough for her to do so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Mi-an and Nia are the two I'd wanna go with if I hadn't picked Amirah, they're both great. And Mi-an could stop relying on whatever dark arts she uses for commissions that need more than basic machinery.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Mi-An has a hatch under her bed that leads to an underground grotto where she has several geeglers working on commissions. She is part of the secret geegler resistance front and funnels her commission profits into the cause, which is also hers as she is a doppelgeegler.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Khanstant posted:

Mi-An has a hatch under her bed that leads to an underground grotto where she has several geeglers working on commissions. She is part of the secret geegler resistance front and funnels her commission profits into the cause, which is also hers as she is a doppelgeegler.

...so you're saying that there are two of her for me to marry?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I just think it's wild what an incredible job they did with Mi-an's character.

In Portia, the character Emily kinda gets pushed on the player as "Hey maybe consider her?" being that she lives right next to you and early on, you tend to interact with her more than any of the other bachelorettes. Unfortunately, Emily is the most bland, boring, generic character to ever exist. Completely uninteresting in any way.

When I first met Mi-an, I was worried it was going to be another Emily situation. But Mi-an has a great personality and is just all around awesome.

I'm very curious to meet Nia and see how she is beyond her letters.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Khanstant posted:

And yet she still manages to pass out from overexertion

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I just figure that if Mi-an and I are both able to basically do everything needed for this town while working separately, just imagine what we could do as a couple!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khanstant posted:

Okay Cooper.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
Cooper is a Duvos agent, change my mind.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Someone in the Pathea discord told me that all rooms can't be bigger than 15x15. But I was able to make my main workshop room 20x20. Don't know if that applies to all room. Doesn't matter though, gonna turn it into a goblinwizard tower.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
It was increased from 15x15 to 20x20 in the patch on 23 November

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

GotLag posted:

It was increased from 15x15 to 20x20 in the patch on 23 November

Dope. 15x15 would have been a bit too small for my tower, considering the size of stairs. I would have needed to do four rooms in a square. But a single 20x20 room is perfect size for my tower.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MA2xdT57wUQ

New update coming to PC in the next couple of weeks with a shitload more hairstyles, new dungeon and post-marriage content.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Whoever voiced this has a very cute accent, it somehow adds charm to the video.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Can I have a single beard option that isn't horrible, please?

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Sydin posted:

Okay Cooper.

Where was Cooper on Jan 6?

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Megazver posted:

Whoever voiced this has a very cute accent, it somehow adds charm to the video.

I believe that is the voice of Xu Zhi, director of My Time at Sandrock
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKHXvTrhgvg

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I appreciate that they clearly went for the most optimal marriage choices for the most exclusives

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
So after a festival, is there a way to get access to the festival shop again? I just did the Day of Memories and I meant to spend more of my tokens but I moved onto the next day and I couldn't find the shop. No big loss but I wanted to fill out my house and get those stat bonuses.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Unlucky7 posted:

So after a festival, is there a way to get access to the festival shop again? I just did the Day of Memories and I meant to spend more of my tokens but I moved onto the next day and I couldn't find the shop. No big loss but I wanted to fill out my house and get those stat bonuses.

I'm pretty sure there is a register at the back of City Hall that sells that stuff.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Excited about that update. Happy I've put off progressing, so I'll actually get to integrate that stuff into my playthrough.

New hairstyles is great news. The hair situation for men was extremely dire.

Rianlee
Jan 15, 2009
Pillbug
For folks who got queasy playing, I found a couple of settings in the game settings menu that helped me: camera follows character and camera auto follow(riding). I set them both to 50; default is 0. Setting those numbers up to 100 might be even better, but 50 solved my queasiness issue.

Hope this can help someone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Rianlee posted:

For folks who got queasy playing, I found a couple of settings in the game settings menu that helped me: camera follows character and camera auto follow(riding). I set them both to 50; default is 0. Setting those numbers up to 100 might be even better, but 50 solved my queasiness issue.

Hope this can help someone.

I get REALLY motion sick playing retro boomer shooters like the original Doom 1&2 or Halflife 2, but thankfully third person camera stuff doesn't do it to me usually. I'm glad there's something that fixes this for you, it's so unpleasant when I do get it!

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

The My Time series is my favorite games in the cozy/farm sim/building genre. I think these games are leaps and bounds more interesting and engaging than any other games out there. Plus, they have so much drat content. The only issue I have with Sandrock (and it was the same problem with Portia) is quest pacing.

I feel like so much of the side content ends up front loaded and so by mid-way through the main missions, I've completely run out of side content. And then the main missions will often have multi-day gaps between parts, leaving me just sleeping days away to get to the next step.

This problem is exacerbated by my tendency to overprepare and overfarm for materials. But I just had a story quest that made me wait 5 days before the next step and I had maybe one other quest in that time. It lead to me waking up, doing commissions, talking to some people and giving some gifts, and then sending my builder to sleep by noon multiple days in a row. Feels kinda bad.

I wish the side missions and friendship missions were paced out a little more.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Mordiceius posted:

The My Time series is my favorite games in the cozy/farm sim/building genre. I think these games are leaps and bounds more interesting and engaging than any other games out there. Plus, they have so much drat content. The only issue I have with Sandrock (and it was the same problem with Portia) is quest pacing.

I feel like so much of the side content ends up front loaded and so by mid-way through the main missions, I've completely run out of side content. And then the main missions will often have multi-day gaps between parts, leaving me just sleeping days away to get to the next step.

This problem is exacerbated by my tendency to overprepare and overfarm for materials. But I just had a story quest that made me wait 5 days before the next step and I had maybe one other quest in that time. It lead to me waking up, doing commissions, talking to some people and giving some gifts, and then sending my builder to sleep by noon multiple days in a row. Feels kinda bad.

I wish the side missions and friendship missions were paced out a little more.

It's a fair complaint. I think you have to tee up some personal objectives as well to fill in those times - days where I'm waiting are the days where I'm going into the mines to chase very specific artifacts, or building stuff to donate to the museum, or chasing down materials to build stuff for decorating my workshop, or having playdates with characters I want to be better friends with, or chasing money in ways I don't normally have time for (monster bounties, usually). Because you're right that the game will just give you some free time and if you need quests to drive you you're just going to get bored.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

skeleton warrior posted:

It's a fair complaint. I think you have to tee up some personal objectives as well to fill in those times - days where I'm waiting are the days where I'm going into the mines to chase very specific artifacts, or building stuff to donate to the museum, or chasing down materials to build stuff for decorating my workshop, or having playdates with characters I want to be better friends with, or chasing money in ways I don't normally have time for (monster bounties, usually). Because you're right that the game will just give you some free time and if you need quests to drive you you're just going to get bored.

Yeah, absolutely.

I think I end up just being in kind of an awkward place due to my playstyle. I tend to be pretty methodical. I'm not someone who has to have stuff perfectly optimized, but I like a little bit of organization/optimization. My wife plays super leisurely and it definitely feels like that is what this game is designed for and as soon as you add any optimization, you're gonna have a bit of a bad time.

I have a habit of always making sure I have at least 10 of every non-worktable crafted resource (like bronze plates, steel screws, stuff like that) and at least 50 of each bar. When I grab my commissions, more often than not, I have all the items needed to turn them in immediately. Then I just set up my machines to craft the items so I can restock my chests at the end of the day.

When it comes to artifacts, I usually hit the abandoned ruins in two waves. First time is just a race to the bottom so I can get all the floors unlocked. Then I do targeted relic runs where I get enough relic pieces to craft one of every item for the museum.

I haven't really spent much time working on my house just due to lack of funds.

I'm still in early act 2 - I just dealt with the planting trees in the desert followed by Logan kidnapping the minister. And with the first part of all of that (planting trees in the desert), there is a 5 day window between when you start that and the next part of the quest. I was able to get the 50k upgrade for my yard, but I don't have the money needed to build my 7 floor goblinwizard tower as each floor is going to cost me 15k.

I don't think I'll mind the story breaks as much once I'm late game and have infinite money to work on decorating, but right now, I'm just in a bit of an awkward place where I have far more time than things to do.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
The big thing I ultimately had to tell myself about the pacing is that it's not designed around power users who are going to blow their whole stamina load + meals at the Blue Moon every day for like 80 in game days in a row collecting loads of mats, getting 4-6 of every machine up ASAP in the factory, always keeping research cooking and often rushing some projects because you're drowning in excess disks, etc. It's paced for people who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing and still only have like 1-2 of each machine by Winter Y1 and keep hitting multi-day roadblocks of not having enough materials or the correct research unlocked to finish the main quest objectives. Stuff like the bridge, tunnel, water tower, etc are "supposed" to take you several days, instead of what happened for me and I'd wager a decent number in the thread where you're already squatting on all the mats required and the job gets blitzed out an in game hour or two after it was assigned.

I honestly wouldn't mind a "hard mode" style option/mod/whatever that increased the amount and complexity of mats you needed to build things that would bottleneck the pace of the main quest somewhat even for us insane freaks, at least initially.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Agreed. It's better to design first for the casual player, makes for a chill game more folks can enjoy. But some of us got the itch to minmax and overprepare and I'd love a mode where the competition and requirements are kicked up. I wouldn't mind a rival who is rubber banding to some degree to keep the fire under your rear end.

I suppose it's not very telesis-y, but as an optional challenge mode I'd love the inclusion.

or joke alternatively: Full Blown Dark Sandrock, no telesis, just capitalism, start buying out shops and apartment in town until you control is all and can recreate the disasters of the past.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
A person could just go into options and speed up the day if they wanted.

Don’t know, somehow I tend to keep myself busy. I wish there was a place that sold fish, though, I find fishing zero fun.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Khanstant posted:

Agreed. It's better to design first for the casual player, makes for a chill game more folks can enjoy. But some of us got the itch to minmax and overprepare and I'd love a mode where the competition and requirements are kicked up. I wouldn't mind a rival who is rubber banding to some degree to keep the fire under your rear end.

I suppose it's not very telesis-y, but as an optional challenge mode I'd love the inclusion.

or joke alternatively: Full Blown Dark Sandrock, no telesis, just capitalism, start buying out shops and apartment in town until you control is all and can recreate the disasters of the past.

You wake up really early one morning, only to find Mi-an in the process of setting fire to your workshop

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

You wake up really early one morning, only to find Mi-an in the process of setting fire to your workshop

My wife would never do that! :colbert:

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mordiceius posted:

My wife would never do that! :colbert:

She married you as part of a long con to steal your workshop in the divorce settlement. She decides that you can have the pets and the baby, but she gets all your workshop equipment.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

She married you as part of a long con to steal your workshop in the divorce settlement. She decides that you can have the pets and the baby, but she gets all your workshop equipment.

Jokes on you. That will only make me simp harder.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

Getting rid of an additional worker would be inefficient on her part.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
She builds a false bottom to your supply crate by the mailbox and siphons away everything that gets funnelled there. Yan creeps by your workshop to "admire" it by seeing what you have in production and stock and jacking up the prices on anything you dont have whole conveniently giving himself those commissions you could easily complete. Could go a step further and post his own unprofitable commissions with high worthless workshop points to get you to still build everything essentially.

Edit: I was joking about MiAn but in a future game, I'd legit be interested in a story or progression based on a crooked wannabe capitalist like Yan and a big part of the early game is discovering, exposing, and removing gnarly economic components from a town to clean it up and start building telesis with its own set of troubles after.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 19, 2023

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

The devs did an april fools gag where they announced a new game where youre a low level bureaucrat in the big evil empire to the north and tbh I'd give it shot

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Sydin posted:

The big thing I ultimately had to tell myself about the pacing is that it's not designed around power users who are going to blow their whole stamina load + meals at the Blue Moon every day for like 80 in game days in a row collecting loads of mats, getting 4-6 of every machine up ASAP in the factory, always keeping research cooking and often rushing some projects because you're drowning in excess disks, etc. It's paced for people who have no idea what they're supposed to be doing and still only have like 1-2 of each machine by Winter Y1 and keep hitting multi-day roadblocks of not having enough materials or the correct research unlocked to finish the main quest objectives. Stuff like the bridge, tunnel, water tower, etc are "supposed" to take you several days, instead of what happened for me and I'd wager a decent number in the thread where you're already squatting on all the mats required and the job gets blitzed out an in game hour or two after it was assigned.

I honestly wouldn't mind a "hard mode" style option/mod/whatever that increased the amount and complexity of mats you needed to build things that would bottleneck the pace of the main quest somewhat even for us insane freaks, at least initially.

i like sandrock more, as a whole, than portia, but portia's projects, i dont know, felt bigger somehow? Wouldn't turn down a mode at this point that makes materials a little more harsh. I think part of the problem is how convenient scrap recycling is since it voids, mostly, having to get like iron or copper

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009
Just have something that inserts a need for Petrified wood products into loving everything and there goes being able to pre-build/quick build projects. There's like 6 nodes that I can find and Heidi and Owen loving love Petrified Wood, holy gently caress.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
make everything require that weird woodbark from the big trees around your house. the whole two of them. still no idea what uses that! i assume accessories

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Khanstant posted:

My Time at Frostpunk.