Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Tesseraction posted:

Primate and Patriarch

a king kong type character

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Bobstar posted:

My UPS story: I booked my phone in with Apple for a new battery during the lockdown, and got an email saying "UPS will pick up your phone with a special box. Under no circumstances must you pack your phone inside anything, or it WILL be rejected!!!"

UPS sub-sub-contractor (guy in a van) turns up, looks at my bare iPhone like "wtf am I supposed to do with that?", goes away again while I sort it out with Apple.

Spent a few days going back and forth with Apple support (guy in his bedroom in England), escalated to a manager (guy in his bedroom in Ireland), none of them had any idea how to make these two ideas work together.

I just gave up in the end.
:confused: I'm pretty sure they're supposed to send you the box first, so you can put the phone in it and stick labels on it and then summon UPS to collect it when you're ready.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

TACD posted:

:confused: I'm pretty sure they're supposed to send you the box first, so you can put the phone in it and stick labels on it and then summon UPS to collect it when you're ready.

There is that method and sometimes they arrive with the box and they just check that you're handing them is the item as described, then put it in the box and seal it. Can't remember the last time I did it that way but it has happened with repairs.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
More great news about the state of things https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-67754983

I know that the backlog local dentists got into during covid was grim, but this just stocks up more and more for later problems and people get hosed so hard by it.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Well it's not as if tooth loss predicts myocardial infarction, heart failure, stroke, and death.

No wait, I'm being informed that it does. Strongly.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

We only just had better teeth on average than America (thanks to the opioid crisis) and the tories gently caress that up too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The Record are clickbaiting with their headline, but they've pointed out that the NI cut is being implemented from January. They reckon this strongly implies a May General Election, as normally a rate cut would begin with the new financial year.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Watch Keith lose it because of his pro-Palestinian murder policy.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Well the Tories are now starting to back a ceasefire so it's another one of their policies he can copy.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Watch Keith lose it because of his pro-Palestinian murder policy.

The Tories are less verminous than Starmer's Labour. Amazing to say it, but it's true.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

If Trump gets back in I fully expect Keith to sell Grate Britane at a knock off price to him.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jedit posted:

The Tories are less verminous than Starmer's Labour. Amazing to say it, but it's true.

More a case of winning by default given the tories always do the rats backstabbing each other on a sinking poo poo.

Spelling intended.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/mikegalsworthy/status/1736798538724528315

A later tweet identifies the screenshot as being an iMessage one, not Whatsapp, but he claimed to have lost all his SMS's and chat messages after losing his phone in 2021 :allears:

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://twitter.com/saulstaniforth/status/1737005931378909691?s=46

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

starmer's labour are tories though

it's like the different types of cultist in BLOOD: they're all out to get you, just with slightly different approaches

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Convex posted:

it's like the different types of cultist in BLOOD: they're all out to get you, just with slightly different approaches

Yes? So the Starmerites are as bad as Tories but also less honest. You're not disagreeing with me here.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Jedit posted:

Yes? So the Starmerites are as bad as Tories but also less honest. You're not disagreeing with me here.

Not at all! I just feel that swapping 'conservatives' for 'tories' is a bit past its sell by date, as there is no real distinction between LAB/CON/LIB except for colour.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Convex posted:

Keir Starmer is the 16th incarnation of Tchernobog? Makes sense.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

His Divine Shadow posted:

Keir Starmer is the 16th incarnation of Tchernobog? Makes sense.

(Keir balls up the 2025 general election. Resigns. A new leader is required.)

Tony Blair (holding a pitchfolk): I LIVE....AGAIN!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal
Kinnock didn't resign after losing one election, just blamed it on Foot. Think we can guess what Starmer would do.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Oh dear me posted:

Kinnock didn't resign after losing one election, just blamed it on Foot. Think we can guess what Starmer would do.

I gazed into my crystal ball and saw the words "Jumbly Crombyn" floating formlessly in the void.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/19/had-to-use-bins-as-toilets-passengers-tell-of-rail-journeys-from-hell

quote:

‘Had to use bins as toilets’: passengers tell of rail journeys from hell

“We were initially told that they were waiting for permission to enter the tunnel. As time went by, it became apparent that there was a bigger problem,” she said.

“The electricity eventually went out on the train, leaving us with no heat, no food and little water. The toilet flushing systems ceased to work, and toilets started overflowing as passengers were forced to continue to use them. As the hours ticked by, this became a huge issue. Passengers resorted to using bins as toilets.”

Cherpin and about 700 fellow passengers were stranded onboard the train for more than seven hours, with little to no communication from staff, she said. Eurostar said the disruption was caused by an overhead cable falling on the train. The train eventually returned to its starting point in London.

:toot:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

If I wanted to poo poo in a bin I'd have stayed home!! :argh:

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
railtracks, railtracks everywhere, and not a place to poo poo

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Subterranean Loafer

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Convex posted:

Not at all! I just feel that swapping 'conservatives' for 'tories' is a bit past its sell by date, as there is no real distinction between LAB/CON/LIB except for colour.

Palette-swapped tories.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Clearly, one goon was way ahead of his time.

(I hope he's OK)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We fought the nazi u-hauls in the adriatic so we should be allowed to do a poo poo in a tin can :bahgawd:

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Runcible Cat posted:

Palette-swapped tories.

:hmmyes:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Runcible Cat posted:

Palette-swapped tories.

The red ones are more dangerous.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ah the battle of the Atlantic where we famously had no ships sunk whatsoever.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe
And also, we can protect ships:

HMS Diamond: British warship shoots down suspected attack drone in Red Sea

That was a couple of days ago, and the destroyed drone was aimed at merchant ships.

What tossers like Madeley don't/won't appreciate is that we're not actually in a state of war with any nations or forces in the Gulf and we really don't want to be, so you can't just go turning a Vulcan cannon on anything that moves, or even anything that comes near.

It's not WW2 where you have the entire Atlantic to roam around in and can just ring down Full Ahead and drop a pattern of depth charges on anything that might be a Jerry U-Boat.

But the Navy was declared Woke when they helped rescue migrants in the Channel so I'm not entirely surprised.

BalloonFish fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 19, 2023

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Also like 100,000 people died at sea during those events. Because that's often what happens when you start shelling and torpedoing and depth charging things.

I think the last time I watched his show he was going on about how pensioners should be doing flying kicks against angle grinder wielding bicycle thieves, so the world inside his head is a very strange and violent one.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Blood was such an amazing game it is just a shame they messed up the sequel so badly.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Bloody hamas, digging tunnels under Cardiff now...

https://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/north-wales-news/network-hidden-tunnels-underneath-wales-28305921

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

SpicePro posted:

Blood was such an amazing game it is just a shame they messed up the sequel so badly.

The late 90's produced a whole bunch of 3D FPS which are objectively better than the 2D FPS of the mid 90's, but also somehow, not as fun or as memorable.

Like there is an article that could be written about why games like Blood, Day of the Triad, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage are better than Blood II, SiN, Kingpin or Jurrasic Park: Trespasser.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Rise of the Triad I believe, one of my favorite games. might have the original box left.

Also Terra Nova. That game ruled.

e: yes I do have the box

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They've just uncovered the canal under Churchill way in the centre, I assume as a trap to cull the excess of drunken people staggering around that part of town

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/gallery/first-look-cardiffs-historic-dock-28166513.amp

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Rise of the Triad I believe, one of my favorite games. might have the original box left.

:nice:

that'd be worth a bit these days!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Terra Nova, I remember hearing about that game.

I say hearing because at the time, that game required a Monster PC to show off it's Magnum graphics.

A similar game was Mech Warrior 2(but high end PC games based on Tabletop properties.)
I was listening to a Podcast that goes back and watches episodes of GamesMaster from the 90's.
One of the challenges was getting two celebrities to build a PC, install Mech Warrior 2 and then have a multilayer match.
The celebs never got past the "build a PC phase" of the challenge. Building pre-Windows 95 PC's was not easy.
When They described the shenanigans that you had to do to get Mech Warrior 2 to play, I'm shocked that any of us got to enjoy any fun PC games in the 90's.