Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I like Calli and Vtubers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

mycatscrimes posted:

i think once people are sending you pipe bombs it's a bit hard to call it 'voluntarily' but thats just me

i just respond to the posts, people

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

DeafNote posted:

I also kinda lost track of what Fun Hater is even mad at anymore.

Pipebombs may not happen over internet squabbles, but swatting does. So some extreme pettiness is definitely there.

If you're receiving suspicious packages from internet haters it's not farfetched to assume they're pipe bombs or other dangerous objects, and obviously you're not going to open them to find out.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

mycatscrimes posted:

wish it was in any way suprising no one is mentioning what happened to her when discussing this.

She's since reactivated and gave a pretty "im pissed off about this" apology but yeah idk this whole thing tilts me because it was just a woman trying to make a joke which was taken completely seriously and at face value by its not intended audience and then you suddenly had the most uwu soft bean softy accounts telling her to kill herself over and over.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

fun hater posted:

i just respond to the posts, people

yeah I think one post is good, like one post calling it a lie, then you go put on shades and congratulate yourself for a job well done

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Annointed posted:

People here are saying that was telephone, and Jocat's statement only said suspicious packages. Who are you are on about?

I think Endorph is the one who first made a pipebomb mention but I'm almost certain it was a joke. And somehow this turned into thinking Jocat himself was ITT spreading lies about his situation??

mycot fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 19, 2023

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Just drank a ton of water, and now my bladder is full of piss

#boogie
#jojamart
#potato

#Online creator

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Guy A. Person posted:

yeah I think one post is good, like one post calling it a lie, then you go put on shades and congratulate yourself for a job well done

its considered conversational to elaborate on a point when questioned about it

e: theres literally a guy still going on abt pipe bombs on this page lol

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Annointed posted:

Heck, same.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
how does this thread keep whipping itself into a frenzy over recursive willful misinterpretation of what everyone says, then furiously backpedaling with "nobody's mad, we're just posting, weird of you to think we're mad actually"

in a way it's beautiful, like a perpetual motion machine

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

SexyBlindfold posted:

how does this thread keep whipping itself into a frenzy over recursive willful misinterpretation of what everyone says, then furiously backpedaling with "nobody's mad, we're just posting, weird of you to think we're mad actually"

This is just fun hater lmao

fun hater
May 24, 2009

such is my sexy burden

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Annointed posted:

Hell we all do.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

caliope mori doug walker collab WHEN

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hell we all do.

Speak for yourself!

And myself

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Are we still talking about the dorky Lizzo rap cover about thicc butts?

https://twitter.com/PunishedAG/status/1736898080916623418?t=WWEUA8RzzDPE_CU3WOMw9w&s=19

I don't get why people are like this. Someone in the replies said how being sightly unfunny is a death sentence on Twitter. That might be true. My guess is that there are just so many people primed to be histrionic about something for a particular reason so doing something benign just sets them all off.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Hell we all do.

I am liking Fuwamoco as the twin vtubers. They got such good chemistry together that cheers up my day.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

Panfilo posted:

I don't get why people are like this. Someone in the replies said how being sightly unfunny is a death sentence on Twitter. That might be true. My guess is that there are just so many people primed to be histrionic about something for a particular reason so doing something benign just sets them all off.

Are you saying this about the guy that got harassed off twitter with death threats for his potentially unfunny video or the woman that got harassed off twitter with death threats for making a potentially unfunny joke about the video?

Glib aside yes people are apparently loving psychos about content they deem bad/unfunny if they escalate it beyond just making fun of it online

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Nazzadan posted:

Are you saying this about the guy that got harassed off twitter with death threats for his potentially unfunny video or the woman that got harassed off twitter with death threats for making a potentially unfunny joke about the video?

Glib aside yes people are apparently loving psychos about content they deem bad/unfunny if they escalate it beyond just making fun of it online

On the bright side people seem generally supportive of jocat

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
the most recent blowup wasn't the first time jocat's been given poo poo for that video, this has been round three or four by now.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Annointed posted:

I am liking Fuwamoco as the twin vtubers. They got such good chemistry together that cheers up my day.

Pikamee
I MEAN
Henya is my spirit animal.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired
Tbh I also think if somebody I don't care for says a bad thing happened to them it's probably a lie. Which is how I know JFK is still alive.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

Nazzadan posted:

I guess it's really the same phenomenon either way.

Also I really don't get the point in making some big tearful goodbye I'm leaving the internet forever announcements-it just proves the haters hit their target, and loses a lot of credibility when the terminally online person comes crawling back for more punishment later.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Clerical Terrors posted:

Tbh I also think if somebody I don't care for says a bad thing happened to them it's probably a lie. Which is how I know JFK is still alive.

remember that thing i said yesterday about how people dont meaningfully investigate antisocial behaviors bc its easier to flatten people into an easy to dismiss caricature

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

SexyBlindfold posted:

If this thread wasn't trying to constantly chew on its own hands I'd be more worried, frankly.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Panfilo posted:

Also I really don't get the point in making some big tearful goodbye I'm leaving the internet forever announcements-it just proves the haters hit their target, and loses a lot of credibility when the terminally online person comes crawling back for more punishment later.

If you don't do it there's a chance the empty spaces you leave will be filled in by scandalmongers and whatever weird narratives they come up with. But more than that it's probably just the person wanting to vent.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Glib psychoticism

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
There was just a whole kerfuffle over James Somerton blaming everything on straight women and how he got away with obvious misogyny because he has an audience that's been trained to not recognize bigotry if 'straight' or 'white' is in front of it and yet we still think people can't get fuckin' weird over stupid things? Gettin' fuckin' weird is what HAPPENS here, as ancient drama and half-remembered grudges boil up to cast someone as truly awful because of a bizarre game of telephone. This is the effect of microcelebrity, just look at how people comb over twitter posts to look for anything that seems suspicious. It's helldumping, we all know how this works, especially here.

Annointed posted:

It's pretty impossible to watch one of their hard retro game streams and not have a good time. It's siblings playing a game together, getting mad at it and each other, backseating and taking the controller. It's fun and honestly kind of nostalgic. They're naturals, too, I wonder how much training they had before this cause they just stepped into a brutal schedule and kept it up no problem.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

my cool friend linked me this: the british film institute recognized video essays for their contributions to culture and film

https://www.bfi.org.uk/polls/best-video-essays-2023

"Of the nominated works, 47% were created by male video essayists, 39% by female, with several from non-binary creators and mixed teams. Around two-thirds feature voiceover, with the majority presented in English, although 14 languages feature in the overall poll.

The nominations saw a relatively equal split between essays created for YouTube and those created for academic research, with 50 YouTube and 47 academic videos (or entire series). Publicly available videos’ viewership varies broadly, from 9.5 million views (for MyHouse.wad) to the low double digits; participants were keen to highlight new and underseen works as well as celebrating the achievements of established creators. Festival films or installation pieces also proved popular, with 53 arthouse shorts, features and documentaries nominated. Also present, although in a smaller proportion, were self-published Vimeo works or collaborative projects unaffiliated with a specific institution. However, within the yearly S&S poll for video essays, there seems to be a slight decline both in independently produced and published Vimeo content, and in video output by cinephile magazines, while the academic sector is slowly but constantly expanding."

excited to see some praise for "a history of the world according to getty images". this is one of the first youtube links on the page...but you should watch mad god first imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8BnxuPF2Y

its a neat collection of works.

VVV ......anyway

fun hater fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 19, 2023

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

fun hater posted:

no one sends you a pipe bomb for being straight and if you believe that youre dumb

lmfao he said he got "suspicious packages" and nothing else.

e: [as deliberately mysteriously as possible about goatse] an email containing an image of a man being tortured was sent to me
You're being a weird freak about this lol

Mappo
Apr 27, 2009

Grondoth posted:

It's pretty impossible to watch one of their hard retro game streams and not have a good time. It's siblings playing a game together, getting mad at it and each other, backseating and taking the controller. It's fun and honestly kind of nostalgic. They're naturals, too, I wonder how much training they had before this cause they just stepped into a brutal schedule and kept it up no problem.

My understanding is that they were originally signed with a different VTuber idol company. "Graduated" for whatever reason and are now under new names and avatars. So they have been doing VTubing for some time.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

fun hater posted:

it drives me absolutely insane that they not only dont explore this (because its hard, not included in wikipedia pages, and no longer flattens people/ideas into two dimensional characters) but even in this thread we have people insisting its not important or interesting to know what drives irrational and antisocial belief. how can you fight something if you dont understand it?

Oh, right, I wanted to respond to this. One of the biggest issues with conspiratorial thinking is that the studies into it aren't really revealing anything interesting or unifying, but instead things that are exhausting and sad. Rather than being, as many people think, confused folks looking for answers who feel threatened by society, people who are the most conspiratorial are the most confident in their answers and sure that the population actually believes the same thing they do. They don't re-evaluate their thoughts; when presented with conflicting information they're far more likely to believe more in their conspiracy than doubt it. I'm not a cutting edge researcher or anything, but the driver for conspiratorial thinking doesn't seem to be thinking at all, but rather social signaling. You're not anti-vaxx because you distrust vaccines, you're anti-vaxx because people like you are anti-vaxx and anyone trying to make you not be that is attacking your identity; something that needs to be rebuffed at all costs.

I.E: people don't become lovely because they fall into conspiracies, lovely people grab on to conspiracies. Really wish it wasn't that way, but to quote a researcher working on anti-vaccination attitudes: "It's very depressing. We were all very depressed."

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

fun hater posted:

my cool friend linked me this: the british film institute recognized video essays for their contributions to culture and film

https://www.bfi.org.uk/polls/best-video-essays-2023

"Of the nominated works, 47% were created by male video essayists, 39% by female, with several from non-binary creators and mixed teams. Around two-thirds feature voiceover, with the majority presented in English, although 14 languages feature in the overall poll.

The nominations saw a relatively equal split between essays created for YouTube and those created for academic research, with 50 YouTube and 47 academic videos (or entire series). Publicly available videos’ viewership varies broadly, from 9.5 million views (for MyHouse.wad) to the low double digits; participants were keen to highlight new and underseen works as well as celebrating the achievements of established creators. Festival films or installation pieces also proved popular, with 53 arthouse shorts, features and documentaries nominated. Also present, although in a smaller proportion, were self-published Vimeo works or collaborative projects unaffiliated with a specific institution. However, within the yearly S&S poll for video essays, there seems to be a slight decline both in independently produced and published Vimeo content, and in video output by cinephile magazines, while the academic sector is slowly but constantly expanding."

excited to see some praise for "a history of the world according to getty images". this is one of the first youtube links on the page...but you should watch mad god first imo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wV8BnxuPF2Y

its a neat collection of works.

VVV ......anyway

This is cool, thanks for sharing it. Happy to see Lily Alexandre on there, she puts out some good and thoughtful stuff.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

mycot posted:

I think Endorph is the one who first made a pipebomb mention but I'm almost certain it was a joke. And somehow this turned into thinking Jocat himself was ITT spreading lies about his situation??

It was clearly an exaggeration for jokes but fun hater decided to be .mad so it's gospel now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

He wasnt literally sent pipebombs but suspicious packages following threatening letters are obviously meant to invoke a certain genre of murdercrime, even if the package contained nothing but shredded newspaper

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fun hater posted:

i dont think he needs to be "run off the internet" (aka voluntarily leaving when put under pressure lol) but i find it genuinely grotesque to be subject to this cloying poo poo as a woman where we all celebrate how fuckable we are....but feministly!!!!

e: like the appropriate response is a single "ugh" or a gagging sound. i dont think he should be killed...........yet
The issue is weve sort of created a situation where when a guy who runs in certain circles wants to say he wants to gently caress the sorceress from dragons crown he cant just say shes hot he has to invent a reason its based, actually. But also if he invents the wrong reason hes still called a creep. So like theres really no winning. straight men are truly the most oppressed

fun hater
May 24, 2009

Grondoth posted:

Oh, right, I wanted to respond to this. One of the biggest issues with conspiratorial thinking is that the studies into it aren't really revealing anything interesting or unifying, but instead things that are exhausting and sad. Rather than being, as many people think, confused folks looking for answers who feel threatened by society, people who are the most conspiratorial are the most confident in their answers and sure that the population actually believes the same thing they do. They don't re-evaluate their thoughts; when presented with conflicting information they're far more likely to believe more in their conspiracy than doubt it. I'm not a cutting edge researcher or anything, but the driver for conspiratorial thinking doesn't seem to be thinking at all, but rather social signaling. You're not anti-vaxx because you distrust vaccines, you're anti-vaxx because people like you are anti-vaxx and anyone trying to make you not be that is attacking your identity; something that needs to be rebuffed at all costs.

I.E: people don't become lovely because they fall into conspiracies, lovely people grab on to conspiracies. Really wish it wasn't that way, but to quote a researcher working on anti-vaccination attitudes: "It's very depressing. We were all very depressed."

honestly i can see that and also see how it turns into a really unpopular area of study because of how hopeless it all feels lol

if you like "mad god", you;ll probably like the works of the genuine survival research team such as "a bitter message of hopeless grief", in which robots re-enact pointless, violent, and appear pained while continuing to navigate a dead world devoid of purpose

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6Y5jff4bQI

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It was clearly an exaggeration for jokes but fun hater decided to be .mad so it's gospel now.

im not gonna fight with you over this while the post that sparked this was quoted on this page and while making a good faith effort to move the conversation along lol.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Seriously though did you people actually think i meant he was literally sent a pipebomb, i was joking jesus

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

JoCat, who was executed by guillotine,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

If I click this is it going to be another cringe-rear end rap song?

e-g goddamit