Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jows
May 8, 2002

ROJO posted:

Yup, whats your battle.net name so I know who to accept?

Jows#1430

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Jows posted:

Jows#1430

Added

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut
Subpar Golf was good and fun, thanks whomever suggested it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mobile port of Shapez is out now, seems like a good port. Free to try with a $4.50 iap for the full version

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

explosivo posted:

Mobile port of Shapez is out now, seems like a good port. Free to try with a $4.50 iap for the full version

This seems pretty fun after playing it for a bit, but if you've played it before them could you comment whether you should be tearing down and rebuilding pathways as new shapes are needed, or will you need the same shape later on? I know there is an upgrade system that needs more basic squares but I have been reconfiguring lines each time.

The one thing I don't like is that when you click a spot to build a conveyor belt around a mining point it prefers to path through the miner rather than around it, which causes problems.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

This seems pretty fun after playing it for a bit, but if you've played it before them could you comment whether you should be tearing down and rebuilding pathways as new shapes are needed, or will you need the same shape later on? I know there is an upgrade system that needs more basic squares but I have been reconfiguring lines each time.

The one thing I don't like is that when you click a spot to build a conveyor belt around a mining point it prefers to path through the miner rather than around it, which causes problems.

Tearing down/building doesn't cost anything so I found myself rebuilding pathways quite a bit to suit my needs or optimize as I went along. You will likely need the same shapes later on in a lot of cases so tearing down and redirecting elsewhere is always a possibility. It's been about 3 years since I've played it though so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Tearing down/building doesn't cost anything so I found myself rebuilding pathways quite a bit to suit my needs or optimize as I went along. You will likely need the same shapes later on in a lot of cases so tearing down and redirecting elsewhere is always a possibility. It's been about 3 years since I've played it though so I'm a bit fuzzy on the details.

Yeah you do need some overlap but it's not that bad. The map is huge too so you can let production lines go quiet for a while if you don't need them.

I do need to politely but firmly let the developer know that mixing all the colors of the spectrum together to make white works on *light* but not on *paint* because I was very confused when that popped up. Eventually I figured it out in a "wait they didnt" moment after trying to purge the grey out of blocks for a bit.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Controls feel wonky for me in Shapez, like moving the camera around while building a belt kind of sucks. Also there's some weird thing going on where I can't build around the hub. Looking forward to getting into it but I might have to wait for an update.

Edit: or idk the conveyor building in general seems real hosed for me. Taps don't always register depending on where I'm tapping and sometimes it makes the conveyor build go crazy.

explosivo fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Dec 6, 2023

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Seems fine to me? Click where your want the belt to start, lift finger, use two fingers to move camera, lift, click where to end belt.

If destination isn't a straight line, clock again and it'll add the curve and end at your destination.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I think it was legitimately bugged for me, I cleared the app cache and it seems to be fine now.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Fair warning on Shapez, I played it a lot, enough to get all the way up to level 17 in a short period of time. I closed then relaunched the game, and it hung a while on loading the save. I closed it again, relaunched, and loaded the save properly. I have my levels and my unlocks but *all* of my factory is gone.

Well I guess I got my wish, I get to redo all the old spaghetti lines from scratch now.

E. It just happened again, so I'm 2 for 2 on getting my factory wiped out, I think I'm done for now. Shame because it is a neat game.

Looking at the timing on the saves it seems that the game is partially loading in the map and then hanging indefinitely. Since the game saves every minute or so it saves when there is nothing loaded onto the map, which wipes everything out.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Dec 6, 2023

Yhag
Dec 23, 2006

I'm dying you idiot!

CuddleCryptid posted:

Fair warning on Shapez, I played it a lot, enough to get all the way up to level 17 in a short period of time. I closed then relaunched the game, and it hung a while on loading the save. I closed it again, relaunched, and loaded the save properly. I have my levels and my unlocks but *all* of my factory is gone.

Well I guess I got my wish, I get to redo all the old spaghetti lines from scratch now.

E. It just happened again, so I'm 2 for 2 on getting my factory wiped out, I think I'm done for now. Shame because it is a neat game.

Looking at the timing on the saves it seems that the game is partially loading in the map and then hanging indefinitely. Since the game saves every minute or so it saves when there is nothing loaded onto the map, which wipes everything out.

Same here (Pixel 8 Pro). Also up to level 17, stuck on loading, force quit, restart and everything is gone except for level and upgrade progress.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

drat, that sucks :(

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Well, I had fun while it lasted, maybe in a few patches it'll get fixed. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one having this issue, which means a patch will probably happen soon. Since that one fell apart, does anyone have any recommendations for a game like it? I tried Mindustry but the tiny tiles were too hard for me to put down on my phone unless I zoom way in, which I imagine will be a problem when enemies start coming more.

Also, Triple Tower from OP was delisted but it is something I'm interested in, any other tile merging recommendations that aren't Homescapes or something like it?

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Definitely a lot of small bugs in Shapez

I have tunnels randomly stop working and then I have to delete them and replace them to get them going again.

Now I have a rotation turning a half-shape full. If I stack it the full shape stays. If I paint it then it reverts back to half size. Haven't figured out a workaround for this yet.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

Well, I had fun while it lasted, maybe in a few patches it'll get fixed. I'm glad to hear I am not the only one having this issue, which means a patch will probably happen soon. Since that one fell apart, does anyone have any recommendations for a game like it?

I had fun with Drill Down as a mobile factory game. It's a slow start but once you get rolling it scratches that itch for me. It's got z-levels as a mechanic that doesn't open up for a bit but it sorta blows it wide open at that point in a pretty satisfying way.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

^^^ cool, I'll give it a shot
E. Lol it doesn't work because it was made for an older version of android and therefore you can't even install it. Gj android

Aredna posted:

Definitely a lot of small bugs in Shapez

I have tunnels randomly stop working and then I have to delete them and replace them to get them going again.

Yeah I had that a lot, it was usually the first one in line. I have a feeling it has something to do with copy pasting breaking linkages.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CuddleCryptid posted:

^^^ cool, I'll give it a shot
E. Lol it doesn't work because it was made for an older version of android and therefore you can't even install it. Gj android

Fuckin... ugh. :sigh:

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
I wonder if it's related to the copy paste only because it didn't happen before I unlocked that. It definitely happened a lot before I ever used the function, though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

explosivo posted:

Fuckin... ugh. :sigh:

Yeah it's pretty sad, there's a lot of things in OP of this thread that are fairly beloved and now are just dead links because they got patched out of existence. Surely android can handle games that are more than one year old but it probably more comes down to the devs not wanting to continue to pay for certification every time a patch drops.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

I really liked that goon-made game "Roaming Fortress". It was kind of a reverse tower defense where you rode a giant animal and shot at the encampments as you went along.

It required Adobe Air, and I don't think it's been updated in forever. But it looked really good on a high-res tablet at the time.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
What was the (I think) goon-made game that was like a dungeon match thing? Swords, shields, potions, etc. There were different classes. The graphics were basic but the gameplay was great. Is that still around?

Also, new mini coming to Warcraft Rumble for season 2!

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I know the game you mean, I think, though wish I could remember the name as well.

8x8 gross, you traced a line through all the items to get the longest path to do more damage from what I remember.

Mile'ionaha
Nov 2, 2004

Tsietisin posted:

I know the game you mean, I think, though wish I could remember the name as well.

8x8 gross, you traced a line through all the items to get the longest path to do more damage from what I remember.

Troll Patrol?

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Thank you. This in turn led to the original this war based on and was certainly the game I used to play.

Dungeon Raid

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

Tsietisin posted:

Thank you. This in turn led to the original this war based on and was certainly the game I used to play.

Dungeon Raid

I think I still have an old tablet with this installed on it. Great game.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
The original was Dungeon Raid, assuming you can dig up a working APK. Troll Patrol is a very similar game but it's an actively updating game and runs on modern phones.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Dungeon Raid was the poo poo. I was sad when support for it ended, and very sad when I upgraded to a device it wouldn't run on.

Dungelot was another victim of the Google fees and whatnot, but it still works on my tablet (for now…)

YggiDee posted:

The original was Dungeon Raid, assuming you can dig up a working APK. Troll Patrol is a very similar game but it's an actively updating game and runs on modern phones.

Troll Patrol is a pretty good successor, and it's also available on Steam AND Nintendo Switch.

Farquar
Apr 30, 2003

Bjorn you glad I didn't say banana?
I don't know why I couldn't get into Troll Patrol. It just felt so soft and rounded compared to Dungeon Raid. Dungeon Raid would have wild swings in power that made it feel more exciting and Troll Patrol just felt like making numbers go up a little. I haven't tried in a few years though, so maybe it's gotten better?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I think I've posted about this before, but I remember waiting for my fiancee to try on wedding dresses and I was passing the time by playing Dungeon Raid, getting pretty far (but not so sucked into it that I couldn't quickly shut it off should my opinion or compliments on dresses be needed). It's Pavlovian how quickly my mind goes to that whole era of our lives together when I see any screenshots from it.

We've been married for over ten years now :unsmith:

Eat The Rich
Feb 10, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I think I've posted about this before, but I remember waiting for my fiancee to try on wedding dresses and I was passing the time by playing Dungeon Raid, getting pretty far (but not so sucked into it that I couldn't quickly shut it off should my opinion or compliments on dresses be needed). It's Pavlovian how quickly my mind goes to that whole era of our lives together when I see any screenshots from it.

We've been married for over ten years now :unsmith:

I played the hell out of Dungeon Raid in the hospital when my kid was born. It's pretty much how I kept my sanity during hours of Ridiculousness reruns on the hospital TV.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Night Danger Moose posted:

The one I use is just called Nonogram.com by Easybrain, I even dropped the $4 to make it ad-free because I play it so much.

I should probably do this since I play that and his Sudoku a lot but i usually play late at night before bed and just put my phone in Airplane mode. Just have to go in once every could days with that on so it updates my Tourney scores if any are going on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

So I found out that Mindustry has a pause function and it works well with the stylus on my phone, and therefore I have been devoting most of my waking hours to it. For those who have played it before, do you have any tips for dealing with the goddamned spider mechs that can walk over walls? Nine times out of ten when a base fails its because enemy mechs walked over my walls and shot my defenses in the rear end. Is it just a matter of true volume of fire to combine the small amount of knockback you get from the scatter turret with as much DPS as you can pour on at any one time?

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CuddleCryptid posted:

So I found out that Mindustry has a pause function and it works well with the stylus on my phone, and therefore I have been devoting most of my waking hours to it. For those who have played it before, do you have any tips for dealing with the goddamned spider mechs that can walk over walls? Nine times out of ten when a base fails its because enemy mechs walked over my walls and shot my defenses in the rear end. Is it just a matter of true volume of fire to combine the small amount of knockback you get from the scatter turret with as much DPS as you can pour on at any one time?

Is that old Mindustry, or the new revamped one?
For the old version, the main trick was to leave a path for the enemies and build your defences to shoot them from the side. Also use more longer range turrets.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

VictualSquid posted:

Is that old Mindustry, or the new revamped one?
For the old version, the main trick was to leave a path for the enemies and build your defences to shoot them from the side. Also use more longer range turrets.

The new one; I'm not sure how the old one was but in the new version the mechs can just walk over walls so it isn't really viable to do killboxes.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

CuddleCryptid posted:

The new one; I'm not sure how the old one was but in the new version the mechs can just walk over walls so it isn't really viable to do killboxes.

You used to be able to manipulate the Ai of wall-walking mechs to make good killboxes. I haven't played for some time.
The new one assumed a lot more reliance on vehicles, so maybe use those. I don't like the vehicle gameplay, which why I haven't played it much.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.
Is there a goon tacticus guild, I'm not saying it's good, just that I'm somehow enjoying the grind.

Lufia
Nov 28, 2011
What's some good games to play on a tablet? I've never owned one before and I won a Galaxy tab in a raffle. :smug:

I don't mind premium but I haven't bought anything in a long time. Big favourites on phone have been the Room series and the Squeenix GO games.

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
Its quite old but I really enjoyed Bardbarian, one of the few games I've loved on Android. There's also Little Inferno that I played on PC but would be more at home on a tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Baldur's Gate and the other Infinity Engine games work surprisingly well on a tablet.