Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

oldpainless posted:

College should be for doctors, lawyers and egyptologists. Everything else can be achieved through trade schools or on the job learning. Everyone I know says college didn’t get them ready for poo poo. It was on the job.

The point of education is to be educated not to do a particular job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

oldpainless posted:

College should be for doctors, lawyers and egyptologists. Everything else can be achieved through trade schools or on the job learning. Everyone I know says college didn’t get them ready for poo poo. It was on the job.

I got a new job this year in a field where I have 15+ years of experience. During the on-boarding the recruiter stopped and said:

"Wait, you do have a 4 year degree, right?"

"Yeah but it's not related to your industry."

"Cool. Doesn't matter. You just need to have one."

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

wash bucket posted:

I got a new job this year in a field where I have 15+ years of experience. During the on-boarding the recruiter stopped and said:

"Wait, you do have a 4 year degree, right?"

"Yeah but it's not related to your industry."

"Cool. Doesn't matter. You just need to have one."

When I wanted a visa in the US my new company had to get a professor to testify that my 15-year software career was equivalent to a 4-year degree. Apparently that’s a thing that people do!

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Degree is a class signifier as much as anything

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The UC system Every loving state college is admitting lots of out-of-state and foreign students because they pay higher fees. This of course squeezes out California-raised in-state students, whom the system is supposed to be for.
Purdue College of Engineering is 40-loving-percent international students. It's just unreal.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Flesh Forge posted:

There is just so much going on here :allears:

But I thought god gets quite irate if you waste a sperm

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

come visit, we're fun

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
Idiots on Social Media: come visit CSPAM

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

steinrokkan posted:

Degree is a class signifier as much as anything

it's this

anyway all education should be free, well funded, and always include a liberal arts even in STEM focused students so we get less engineers that can't think good or think ethics is a weird way to be racist. if it were a meaningful life path i'd gently caress off back to college and create the field of postmodern marxist genderological hydroponics or something

e: I'm personally in the awkward position of having dropped out with exactly one credit until graduation. now that I actually have the money I could go back and do a night class or whatever, but I already have a decent paying job and there's not much call for IT people with gender studies/philosophy majors, although there should be given this loving industry.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Nobody Interesting posted:

But I thought god gets quite irate if you waste a sperm

He does, and apparently that guy thinks when women jack off they waste their eggs? :shrug:

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

oldpainless posted:

more like oldlearnless

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
100% the reason I'm in college right now is to get a degree so I feel better about myself

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

credburn posted:

100% the reason I'm in college right now is to get a degree so I feel better about myself

what are u studying

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

tokin opposition posted:

it's this

anyway all education should be free, well funded, and always include a liberal arts even in STEM focused students so we get less engineers that can't think good or think ethics is a weird way to be racist. if it were a meaningful life path i'd gently caress off back to college and create the field of postmodern marxist genderological hydroponics or something

e: I'm personally in the awkward position of having dropped out with exactly one credit until graduation. now that I actually have the money I could go back and do a night class or whatever, but I already have a decent paying job and there's not much call for IT people with gender studies/philosophy majors, although there should be given this loving industry.

TBH you should go back and get that single credit because even if it’s a contextually worthless degree it could still earn you a pay bump. (Because corporations are stupid.)

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I have a degree in goddamn political science and use stuff I learned in college all the time at work, like more than the people on my team who have an actual degree in the field we work in. Who are also all doing well for themselves in that field. Environment/health/safety work benefits from the technical stuff I picked up from when I was an engineering major and also from being able to interpret laws from my poli sci stuff. Plus, having spent the time in college learning to interact with my peers and form teams without the “gently caress the apprentice, if they wanted to be treated better they’d be ten years older” poo poo.

College is a fine option. The US should have better ways to pay for it, and it isn’t the way for everyone, but the anti college attitude out there is kinda dumb

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

tokin opposition posted:

what are u studying

The Blade, obviously.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

credburn posted:

:emptyquote:

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Dewgy posted:

TBH you should go back and get that single credit because even if it’s a contextually worthless degree it could still earn you a pay bump. (Because corporations are stupid.)

lol if your college didn't tell you your credits expire after three years and gently caress off

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

tokin opposition posted:

:eng99: :hf: :eng99:

I dropped out with one semester to go, so I feel that. I've been debating on if I should go back or not, but I was getting a degree in what my friend loves to call Drawing Sad Elves (Fine Arts with an emphasis on Drawing) but there is zero practical use to finish that degree and not worth the debt I would take on. I would love to go back for a degree in Folklore and Mythology, but that is equally useless. So I'll just tool around at my mid-range job that leaves me just too tired to do any drawing but pays the bills, and veg out on the couch like my forefathers.

goblin week posted:

lol if your college didn't tell you your credits expire after three years and gently caress off

Yea, I dropped out around 2008 (GUESS WHY) and most of my credits are definitely expired at this point.

Soysaucebeast has a new favorite as of 01:22 on Dec 20, 2023

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Every institution preferentially accepts out of state students for exactly this reason

When I was in community college one of the last places you can get a degree without either being rich or going into debt (assuming you're a local) I was loving shocked when I found out what the Asian kids were paying. Like, there has to be cheaper ways to learn fluent English and get an Associate degree inside Japan than what they were paying.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

goblin week posted:

lol welp

(I dropped out way earlier than one credit left so I never had to look into that. :v: )

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
just put that you have a degree nobody checks

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

gamers when an unannounced game slated for late 2026 isn't polished yet

https://twitter.com/fourfivesix66/status/1736961989895680046

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
Tell me you understand nothing about game development without telling me you understand nothing about game development.

Gamers will shout until they are blue in the face that "developers should be more open about making their games" and then anytime they get some kind of leaked development footage/images/news they prove why studios absolutely shouldn't give them that.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

is that the game where the people who found the footage tried to ask for millions of dollars in ransom money from the company

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

it's more than just some footage, the attackers dumped terabytes of data from the developers network covering every project they have in development or planned over the next decade

they didn't pay the ransom though, so it all got released

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Saddest Rhino posted:

is that the game where the people who found the footage tried to ask for millions of dollars in ransom money from the company

insomniac's LAN got ransomwared and they didn't pay up so a bunch of poo poo got released including (very very) early pc builds of wolverine, yes

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

apparently there's a load of staff PII in there as well, it's a very bad leak, everything is on fire right now

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

so they... also helped them do free advertising on their future projects???

e: oh welp that's also loving bad wtf

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS posted:

just put that you have a degree nobody checks

I have two master's degrees but never got the physical papers because of reasons, and the only time it ever mattered was when I was considering applying for a PhD position.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Yeah, employee passports and poo poo were in there, it loving sucks

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Won't someone think of the children :ohdear:

of tesla owners :ohdear:

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1736885569089589747

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I mean I do think about their safety being in Teslas.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Flesh Forge posted:

owning a tesla should be grounds to have your kids taken away imo

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Teslas are the "complains that family court judges always loving side with the mother" of cars.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Please mr elyon my children are suffering :ohdear:

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Baron von Eevl posted:

Teslas are the "complains that family court judges always loving side with the mother" of cars.

Right down to the ill fitting look that looks like it was put together half assed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

oldpainless posted:

If you work in the field you studied, college will (at least it should) give you a theoretical background that you wouldn't get otherwise, for example I studied food chemistry and I have background knowledge that my coworkers from other fields, or the ones that learned a trade, don't have. The ones who learned a trade are way better at doing the actual analyses though, to the point where it's a common clichee that the worst thing you can do is leave a college graduate to their own devices in a lab. Looking back on my first day at my first internship, I can confirm this.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Flesh Forge posted:

Everything about this is insane on multiple levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I may be one of a hundred people who graduated with a comm degree and managed to utilize it at work. Didn’t expect to but hey, not complaining! I was a horrific student but managed to graduate on time and fell assbackwards into all of this. Privilege probably helped!