Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I still make mounds with my mashed potatoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Philthy posted:

I still make mounds with my mashed potatoes.

Is this supposed to mean something?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Crescent Wrench posted:

Mounds are a type of candy bar, consisting of a mass of sweetened coconut that’s covered in dark chocolate. Forums poster Philthy creates their own bars, using mashed potatoes as an inexpensive coconut substitute.

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

CelticPredator posted:

Close Encounters is one of the best alien movies ever made. It’s got everything and makes me cry. Perfection

Ok, 10 year old me. What did you do with my original Boba Fett action fiigure?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

A mound is a form of burial which was common in the neolithic era but survived until the iron age in Germanic societies. In which a tomb is dug into an artificial hill.

See also:
The Love Mound or Mons Pubis

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Mounds are a type of candy bar, consisting of a mass of sweetened coconut that’s covered in dark chocolate. Forums poster Philthy creates their own bars, using mashed potatoes as an inexpensive coconut substitute.

FreudianSlippers posted:

A mound is a form of burial which was common in the neolithic era but survived until the iron age in Germanic societies. In which a tomb is dug into an artificial hill.

See also:
The Love Mound or Mons Pubis

This doesn't seem important.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The director of Saint Maud made a new film

https://twitter.com/letterboxd/status/1737114413050790201

I'm so loving excited for it and I hope I'm able to see it for Sundance next month

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

He's not wrong about Close Encounters.

It's interesting because I don't think he's necessarily wrong in what he's saying, i.e. that Close Encounters isn't a very focused film. That it's more of a montage of these various characters and storylines that are related to the aliens. Like Carpenter said, it jumps around and goes off in various different directions.

I just happen to really enjoy that. Spielberg basically made "UFOs: The Movie" and to me that's extremely entertaining especially with that level of budget and special effects.

Crescent Wrench posted:

You should watch Close Encounters

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Chris James 2 posted:

I'm so loving excited for it and I hope I'm able to see it for Sundance next month

i hated Saint Maud but this could be fun

Hollismason posted:

He's not wrong about Close Encounters.

i would go so far as to say he's right about Close Encounters.

i don't really like ET either. Spielberg's alien movies are kinda snoozers.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Chris James 2 posted:

lesbians and bronski beat??? sold

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
my lizard brain hears bronski beat and now im going to see it

its that simple

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Chris James 2 posted:

Hell yeah

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Chris James 2 posted:

:O
going to double feature this with happiest season 🥰

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i hated Saint Maud but this could be fun

i would go so far as to say he's right about Close Encounters.

i don't really like ET either. Spielberg's alien movies are kinda snoozers.

A true alien movie will always be a snoozer. It’s about the search and the feeeelings
(I won’t make that tbh bc I like gore and goop too much but yaaano)

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

CelticPredator posted:

A true alien movie will always be a snoozer. It’s about the search and the feeeelings
(I won’t make that tbh bc I like gore and goop too much but yaaano)

I think part of the issue is no one really seems to put much serious thought into alien depictions. Granted, the reality's more like Andromeda Strain, but I would put the goopy/gory ones as also closer to the reality. The idea of if aliens are advanced enough for interstellar travel then they must be like space hippies never made sense to me even as a kid, but then I'm one of those in Stellaris who has xenophobic space devilgoat necromancers who genetically engineer the conquered into being super tasty burgers.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

i just love the idea that they're scientists with no humanity so they just enjoy spicing and dissecting. That creeps me out.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Close Encounters is good not great but like a 4/10 on the Spielberg Scale

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s kind of top five for me tbh

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
After Jaws, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Jurassic Park, you could fill out a top-5 with a bunch of different stuff and I wouldn't argue with you. Close Encounters would probably find it's way into my top-5.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I am that weirdo who also puts war of the worlds in the top five lmao

Maybe. I’ve never really sat down with it. Jurassic park might not make it but that doesn’t mean I don’t love it

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I am also not that big into Close Encounters. I get how it's a vibe movie and the scene with the toddler is pretty incredible but Dreyfuss' character is such a shithead.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

CelticPredator posted:

It’s kind of top five for me tbh

Same, I saw it in theaters a couple years ago and it was an amazing experience

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

The appeal of Anguiras is that everybody’s got that one ride or die homie and for Godzilla it’s Anguiras. Doesn’t matter that he killed him one time.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Anguirus feels like the every man of kaiju. Could see him in like a steelworker's union or something.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

CelticPredator posted:

I am that weirdo who also puts war of the worlds in the top five lmao

Maybe. I’ve never really sat down with it. Jurassic park might not make it but that doesn’t mean I don’t love it

War of the Worlds is amazing, and never gets old. He did an amazing job with it, and it's freaky as poo poo every time.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Duel is in my Spielberg top 5, and I'm happy to defend that take, because Duel is a drat near perfect movie.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
I'll go to the mat for Empire of the Sun. Fantastic movie.

... So the "Haunted Swimming Pool" movie is real? That wasn't some joke? Someone made "Ghost Shark, but SERIOUS?"

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Close Encounters sucks and ET sucks

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Close Encounters sucks and ET sucks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTem0Q7Nk0Q

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The ending of Close Encounters is really loving bleak when you realize that dude is joining an alien zoo

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

I am also not that big into Close Encounters. Dreyfuss' character is such a shithead.
Yeah like the wonder and majesty and awe that Spielberg is capable of are all there but then you go and look at the surface plot and it's: "guy leaves his family and world behind"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dude just abandons his loving wife and kids. Does the mom have a job? So she's a single mom now raising their kids while he fucks off in alien zoo.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Like if you're going to say it's an allegory for anything it's basically "Richard Dreyfuss gets really into hard drugs, leaves his family, hooks up with another addict and then he ODs."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shrecknet posted:

Yeah like the wonder and majesty and awe that Spielberg is capable of are all there but then you go and look at the surface plot and it's: "guy leaves his family and world behind"

Yeah it rules. It’s unsettling and dark and weird and awe inspiring

Weird tones rule

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If you watch the special edition its especially clear that he's in a loving zoo for aliens

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Duel is in my Spielberg top 5, and I'm happy to defend that take, because Duel is a drat near perfect movie.

I watched Duel for the first time a few days ago, good movie. Impressive how it manages to be entertaining and keep increasing the stakes with mostly just one character and a dickish truck.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hollismason posted:

Dude just abandons his loving wife and kids. Does the mom have a job? So she's a single mom now raising their kids while he fucks off in alien zoo.

All of his movies are hilarious after watching them through the context of the fablemans

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

If you watch the special edition its especially clear that he's in a loving zoo for aliens

I won’t because it loving blows dude

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I never watched Fablemans but I imagine it was the dark tower of the stephen spielberg dark universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The Spergiverse