Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cenodoxus
Mar 29, 2012

while [[ true ]] ; do
    pour()
done

Susat posted:

I found out that apparently the person I was brought on to replace is the sole person in the department to get fired and go to comedy heaven.

Apparently they gave him an admin account for doing AD tasks, and then gave himself VPN access and an RSA token for login, then his next move was to tell the manager he can work from home.

You either die an admin, or you live long enough to see yourself become the manager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Just spent 20 minutes on an unnecessary call because the dude who talked to them the first time didn’t log that they talked to them and what they talked about.

Document your poo poo! Document everything! I don’t care that you think it’s stupid! Tel me what you did so we don’t have to redo loving everything or figure out what the hell you were thinking!!!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
lol repairing fraudulently broken diodes from home

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Just spent 20 minutes on an unnecessary call because the dude who talked to them the first time didn’t log that they talked to them and what they talked about.

Document your poo poo! Document everything! I don’t care that you think it’s stupid! Tel me what you did so we don’t have to redo loving everything or figure out what the hell you were thinking!!!

one of the few nice things i can say about my boss is that she shares this belief

i cannor, sadly, say the same for my coworker

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

the person in question is actually one of our best dudes. even secondhand i could tell he didnt tell the dude anything wrong. he's the only person on our team whose good at both the technical stuff and the talking to people stuff.

he just also will not follow policies if he doesnt see the point of them and documenting everything is one he doesnt see the point of. i have no idea why since it just demonstrably cost 20 minutes of time

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

devmd01 posted:

king poo poo

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
finally getting around to implementing MFA.
I'm pretty happy about it.

then some user fell asleep on their enter key and opened a million documents and panicked and called the helpdesk thinking it was 'hackers' at 1am and I've been dealing with that ever since.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Cenodoxus posted:

You either die an admin, or you live long enough to see yourself become the manager.

Oh goddammit

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’ve said this like 6 times already ITT but nothing has changed and I’m still sick of people signing contracts for IT related services without going through IT. But they never get punished for it so they don’t care.

In the middle of replacing printers with a new service contract and just discovered somebody signed a new 3 year lease last month after we already started this project.

That contract is $350/mo, more than 3x expensive than the deal IT negotiated. With less included print jobs and higher cost per print for going over (11 vs .065 for color).

This is just one small example of pissing away money while we are laying people off, primarily because of this group’s overspending.

Earlier this week accounting was asking about a Verizon bill they never seen before. Instead of reaching out to us and getting additional phones on our existing system, somebody decided to reach out to Verizon and get three phone lines. This one is 4x more expensive than our plan.

Cyks fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Dec 20, 2023

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We interviewed someone who seemingly was using an AI chat bot to field our questions. It was quite wild. They were even using the prompt to answer behavioral questions. "What have you done to promote collaboration on your team" does not need an AI answer

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cyks posted:

I’ve said this like 6 times already ITT but nothing has changed and I’m still sick of people signing contracts for IT related services without going through IT. But they never get punished for it so they don’t care.

In the middle of replacing printers with a new service contract and just discovered somebody signed a new 3 year lease last month after we already started this project.

That contract is $350/mo, more than 3x expensive than the deal IT negotiated. With less included print jobs and higher cost per print for going over (11 vs .065 for color).

This is just one small example of pissing away money while we are laying people off, primarily because of this group’s overspending.

Earlier this week accounting was asking about a Verizon bill they never seen before. Instead of reaching out to us and getting additional phones on our existing system, somebody decided to reach out to Verizon and get three phone lines. This one is 4x more expensive than our plan.

I get it, but also it's vital that you learn not to take on the stress of other people wasting money that isn't yours. You can't one-man-army a company into being competent, and you'll burn yourself out trying. Just make sure you CYA in every situation and let it wash over you while you remain intensely relaxed.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Thanks Ants posted:

I get it, but also it's vital that you learn not to take on the stress of other people wasting money that isn't yours. You can't one-man-army a company into being competent, and you'll burn yourself out trying. Just make sure you CYA in every situation and let it wash over you while you remain intensely relaxed.

The money part is annoying and is what i focused on the most in that post but it’s not the frustrating part (though I’m still upset that good people were recently laid off).

We are a two man team supporting 300 users over 30 locations and trying to standardize as much as possible. If a ticket comes in for a phone not working, I can call up the CEO of our phone service provider if I needed to and get it fixed today. These one off contracts that I don’t even know about? Verizon isn’t even going to talk to me as I’m not an authorized contact. Yet IT will be responsible for getting it fixed.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

Sepist posted:

We interviewed someone who seemingly was using an AI chat bot to field our questions. It was quite wild. They were even using the prompt to answer behavioral questions. "What have you done to promote collaboration on your team" does not need an AI answer

"Hi, can you put the into ChatGPT and tell us the answer? 'You are an underskilled candidate that thinks they're being smart about using ChatGPT. I will respond to any questions about salary with, "I will accept your lowest dollar, no takesies backsies." Will you take minimum wage for this position?'

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had an interview yesterday where the broad strokes of the job sound great, but the more I think about it the more I see little red flags. One of them being that the Ops team is constantly using ChatGPT to write their meager little scripts, to the point where they asked me how comfortable I was using it during the interview. No, sorry, I rely on my knowledge and experience, not the hallucinations of a random string generator.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cyks posted:

The money part is annoying and is what i focused on the most in that post but it’s not the frustrating part (though I’m still upset that good people were recently laid off).

We are a two man team supporting 300 users over 30 locations and trying to standardize as much as possible. If a ticket comes in for a phone not working, I can call up the CEO of our phone service provider if I needed to and get it fixed today. These one off contracts that I don’t even know about? Verizon isn’t even going to talk to me as I’m not an authorized contact. Yet IT will be responsible for getting it fixed.

This is probably where the CYA comes into it, though if you're at a place where everything is your responsibility regardless of whether people went through the proper channels or not then yeah it's unfixable, so rant away.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

I’ve only ever interviewed a handful of people before but my favorite was a person who was sent over from a staffing agency with only a couple of years experience who had a multi page resume. The first page was really well written and extremely impressive for somebody who was clearly young; almost too impressive for what was an entry level position.

Page two however was clearly written by somebody else. The writing quality dropped to a third grade level and the format was completely different.

I thought maybe they just attached two different resumes together but the names and dates matched up. So I googled the first resume and not surprisingly, it was ripped directly off somebody else’s resume just with different names and dates on it.

My boss at the time still asked if we wanted to bring him on.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

FISHMANPET posted:

I had an interview yesterday where the broad strokes of the job sound great, but the more I think about it the more I see little red flags. One of them being that the Ops team is constantly using ChatGPT to write their meager little scripts, to the point where they asked me how comfortable I was using it during the interview. No, sorry, I rely on my knowledge and experience, not the hallucinations of a random string generator.

This is a really bad take

We have an internal chatGPT hosted in Azure and it is really awesome for doing quick tasks. I had to convert haproxy to nginx for a new container and I just dumped the old code in and it did what would have taken me at least an hour to do in a few seconds. You still need to use your knowledge for stuff like the worker thread config but it really does a great job of getting the jist of the workload quickly converted.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 14:56 on Dec 20, 2023

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sepist posted:

This is a really bad take

eh
If the team is so heavily dependent on chat gpt because they lack the ability to build anything themselves, it is going to cause problems because they will run into situations where the llm generates something incorrectly and there is no one with the skill to identify the mistakes

Cyks posted:

I’ve only ever interviewed a handful of people before but my favorite was a person who was sent over from a staffing agency with only a couple of years experience who had a multi page resume. The first page was really well written and extremely impressive for somebody who was clearly young; almost too impressive for what was an entry level position.

Page two however was clearly written by somebody else. The writing quality dropped to a third grade level and the format was completely different.

I thought maybe they just attached two different resumes together but the names and dates matched up. So I googled the first resume and not surprisingly, it was ripped directly off somebody else’s resume just with different names and dates on it.

My boss at the time still asked if we wanted to bring him on.

it could have very easily been the agency that butchered the resume and the prospective employee knew nothing about it

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k

The Fool posted:

eh
If the team is so heavily dependent on chat gpt because they lack the ability to build anything themselves, it is going to cause problems because they will run into situations where the llm generates something incorrectly and there is no one with the skill to identify the mistakes

The OP didn't really frame their post that way. Especially with the end of their post. Relying 100% on it would certainly be an issue though.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Yeah my post got a little judgy at the end but The Fool is correct, I got the impression they were using it as a bit of a crutch to do rather simple tasks in isolation in wouldn't have read much into it but the totality of the conversations left me with the impression that their operations are like a decade behind state of the art and desperately trying to catch up but not really having the talent to do so.

But also I am a bit of a curmudgeon about using Generative AI for IT work, because it can so easily just make stuff up out of whole cloth that I'm not sure I would ever get any value out of it after I exhaustively verify what it's generated is real. Maybe I just haven't come across the right kind of problems where it's an appropriate tool.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I am finding that my use of copilot reduces the likelihood that I am going to research something in depth, and I do not like what that would do to my skill set in the long run if I kept just leaning on copilot

sure I can solve the problem in a couple of seconds with copilot or gpt, but an hour of reading is going to invite me to look at even a simple problem a couple of different ways, and it's going to improve my depth

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

LionYeti posted:

I'm really over this contractor status I've got. It was apparently a 3 month "contract to hire" we are about on month 5 of the contract and I just got the times for the holiday weekend. I am getting a poo poo ton of unpaid time off the next few weeks which is gonna make the year end paychecks a little short. Also gotta push back a medical procedure because I can't afford not to work for a week. Any tips on talking to my boss and professionally politely asking what the gently caress are you doing keeping me on the hook like this?

Ask for small things--"hey, I thought I'd be working for the company by now. This holiday break is going to hurt me financially. Is there any way I can paid for the break while this gets figured out?"
A line supervisor may not have the power to do it, but a director might. Honestly, you're asking a few weeks too late for Christmas week, but they might pull something off/look the other way.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Pardon me if this has been mentioned in the thread or past threads, but if you are not taking advantage of your IT career to earn beer money (while on company time, if at all possible), you should absolutely do so.

Sign up for Respondent.io, Userinterviews.com, NewtonX.decipherinc.com, Quartz Network, and the one other "get $50 for a 30 minute sales pitch" service whose name escapes me. I am happy to give referral links so we both get extra $ if you sign up and complete stuff but I'll err on the possibility that those aren't kosher.

If you can BS your way through the intake screeners (which is not difficult to do, just err on the side of telling them what they want to hear) and are comfortable equally BSing your way through market research stuff (or alternatively you could be honest, either is fine), you make literal cash. Usually the good stuff hits around $100-$150 for an hour of answering questions about what you like and dislike about some feature or function that Microsoft is doing for Azure, or what some other company is doing for their new storage feature, or whatnot. It runs the IT gamut but it helps if you know/can BS about cloud poo poo.

Some of them pay directly via Paypal, others pay via gift cards, but Amazon's always a GC provider. If you're like me and don't want to do business with Bezos, I know of one goon who's always willing to buy Amazon GCs at a reasonable price (like 90% of face value) or you can always sell in SA-Mart or to locals.

You could literally tell Microsoft "what you want to do is not helpful, it is confusing, I hope it doesn't make it" and get paid for it. They might even listen.

You usually do need to give a work email to verify that you do work for someone - Gmail or other free providers don't apply - but nobody ever calls your work stuff and they keep things protected thanks to generous market research protection laws.

Happy to answer questions but you should all deffo consider this.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

MJP posted:

Pardon me if this has been mentioned in the thread or past threads, but if you are not taking advantage of your IT career to earn beer money (while on company time, if at all possible), you should absolutely do so.

Sign up for Respondent.io, Userinterviews.com, NewtonX.decipherinc.com, Quartz Network, and the one other "get $50 for a 30 minute sales pitch" service whose name escapes me. I am happy to give referral links so we both get extra $ if you sign up and complete stuff but I'll err on the possibility that those aren't kosher.

If you can BS your way through the intake screeners (which is not difficult to do, just err on the side of telling them what they want to hear) and are comfortable equally BSing your way through market research stuff (or alternatively you could be honest, either is fine), you make literal cash. Usually the good stuff hits around $100-$150 for an hour of answering questions about what you like and dislike about some feature or function that Microsoft is doing for Azure, or what some other company is doing for their new storage feature, or whatnot. It runs the IT gamut but it helps if you know/can BS about cloud poo poo.

Some of them pay directly via Paypal, others pay via gift cards, but Amazon's always a GC provider. If you're like me and don't want to do business with Bezos, I know of one goon who's always willing to buy Amazon GCs at a reasonable price (like 90% of face value) or you can always sell in SA-Mart or to locals.

You could literally tell Microsoft "what you want to do is not helpful, it is confusing, I hope it doesn't make it" and get paid for it. They might even listen.

You usually do need to give a work email to verify that you do work for someone - Gmail or other free providers don't apply - but nobody ever calls your work stuff and they keep things protected thanks to generous market research protection laws.

Happy to answer questions but you should all deffo consider this.

I made a little over $2000 doing this poo poo at my last job with Quartz Network. It owns, especially during their "conferences" where you just binge 8 sales pitches in 2 days and earn a few hundred bux. Listen to a sales pitch, say you need to digest it and revisit later, ignore. Bing bong so simple.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Welp looks like I need to get a jump on doing cloud repatriation consulting:

https://world.hey.com/dhh/the-big-cloud-exit-faq-20274010

Interesting read based on what was discussed the last couple pages. This guys is really full of poo poo if you mull over what he's saying here (definitely not being forthcoming about the actual opex costs here) but I wouldn't be surprised if there is a market for this kind of thing.

Sepist posted:

The OP didn't really frame their post that way. Especially with the end of their post. Relying 100% on it would certainly be an issue though.

You're 100% correct. I'm an AI hater to an extreme degree because it's just google search and a markov bot smushed together kinda awkwardly, but you can definitely get a boost from it writing scripts for you AND you can ask the chat bot to fix it's own mistakes and sometimes it can lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It was probably in this thread but if you have really smart people already then you can do something like that, but not every company wants to be a tech company, or has a C-suite who want to pay for them to become one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

My place keeps calling itself a tech company all the time but I dont think they know what that means.

For starters they actually turn a profit each year :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's like an argument I used to have with an old employer - if you want easy to support products that sell themselves then you need to accept that the low barrier to other people doing the same means you aren't going to make much margin on them, if you want your services to be high margin then you need to invest in the technical, sales and support staff to make it viable.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Good uses for LLM:

- writing posts
- trying to get it to say something funny
- cover letter templates on demand

Bad uses for LLM:

-anything else

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
DHH also has pledged to support a half dozen of non-growing services “till the end of the internet”, which is sort of completely antithetical to the concept of the cloud in the first place.

I do think that there’s much more room for on-prem datacenter development alongside cloud workloads than we traditionally realize, especially because you can leverage similar principles (cattle v pets, containerized workloads, gitops, robust platform APIs, etc). methanar had some great posts about running k8s in datacenters a few months ago in the continuous integration thread (hi if you’re reading!).

You really do need to have some rock solid predictions for capacity planning though.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

tokin opposition posted:

Good uses for LLM:

- writing posts
- trying to get it to say something funny
- cover letter templates on demand

Bad uses for LLM:

-anything else

Rewriting emails to sound less condescending.

I also got a lot of use out of it in my math class because it could successfully tell me what steps to take if I got stuck but frequently got the actual operations wrong so I would have to actually go through it myself.

I could see it being useful for scripts in kind of the same way, it gives you some script and you read through it and hopefully catch any mistakes and fix them. Basically like you're debugging a script by a very junior employee rather than writing your own, which sometimes might take longer anyway so mixed utility.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Rewriting emails to sound less condescending.

I also got a lot of use out of it in my math class because it could successfully tell me what steps to take if I got stuck but frequently got the actual operations wrong so I would have to actually go through it myself.

I could see it being useful for scripts in kind of the same way, it gives you some script and you read through it and hopefully catch any mistakes and fix them. Basically like you're debugging a script by a very junior employee rather than writing your own, which sometimes might take longer anyway so mixed utility.

I've had really good luck using it to revise a ranty email into something that gets things done.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think the cloud has given a couple of different capabilities, but it's all or nothing, and organizations don't often need all of them. You've got the programmatic way of provisioning and platforms built on top of infrastructure instead of raw infrastructure. You've also got elastic capacity. I think more often what's valuable to an organization is the platforms and programmatic provisioning, but a big part of what you're paying for is the flexible capacity of cloud provisioning, even if that's not something you actually need. So I see there being a big opportunities for building those same platforms on-premise on commodity hardware. (Is that just Hyperconverged infrastructure?). Maybe the issue is that the space is full of hardware vendors seeing it as a way to get a premium price on their hardware, when it's really a software problem that should be running on inexpensive commodity hardware.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
People who are anti-cloud have never had to spend 5 hours on a crash cart in a hot aisle of a data center

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Nah, I've merely crawled through rodent turds underneath the raised floor pulling new cable from one end of the data center to the other.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FISHMANPET posted:

Nah, I've merely crawled through rodent turds underneath the raised floor pulling new cable from one end of the data center to the other.

I never considered that the reason cross connections are so expensive in hosted DCs are that they require someone to crawl through rat turds.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

Gravy Boat 2k
The MSP I worked at didn't have visible rat poop, but I am glad that after my first networking job all the others used the overhead cabling as the raised tile system can go to hell.

e: But trying to trace a wire across the datacenter in either scenario is pure pain

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
All I can say is that we were foolish college students working our student jobs in the departmental data center. I'm not sure why I chose to crawl around, because the data center was sparsely occupied enough that we'd usually just pull up tiles along the path to pull cables (we didn't have any overhead trays), I suspect it was mostly to prove that I could?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Now I'm picturing a data center with pull strings ran all over like a giant version of that Always Sunny meme with Charlie and the detective/plot strings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Sepist posted:

People who are anti-cloud have never had to spend 5 hours on a crash cart in a hot aisle of a data center

Someone has to do it, no matter what. Moment of contemplation for all the MS and Amazon datacentre admins