Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

it dont matter posted:

I've not been paying much attention, what's the fashionable variant right now? Got covid again and it feels a lot worse than last time, which was a couple of years ago.

JN.1 is the hottest new strain they everyone is trying to get. It doesn’t have a real name because names scare the people. It’s still Omicron, with air quotes and eye rolling.

If you are in the United States, have a functional liver and kidneys, and are not on any interacting medications, go to test2treat.org to get free Paxlovid before the Feds bury it in a landfill in New Mexico on New Year’s Day.

Platystemon has issued a correction as of 09:26 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
did someone say airborne aids?

https://twitter.com/milk_oats/status/1737400231119987044

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Platystemon posted:

JN.1 is the hottest new strain they everyone is trying to get.
(..)

JN.1 is a bit pedestrian at this stage; JN.1.1 is this seasons hotness for the normies. Real connoisseurs know that XDD is the one you want to get.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Archdeacon Claude Frollo what are you doing in the 21st century?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

skooma512 posted:

(..)
It had a picture of the virus on the box and I cut it out and stuck it on my cube wall :coronatoot:
Now I realize I should hang two for how many times I've been hit.
(..)

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think - technically speaking - COVID should have your silhouette twice on the side of its cubicle.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
This is interesting, if not exactly surprising. It demonstrates that i) it is a real physical phenomenon and ii) by extension it is a mechanism that is difficult to discern by normal testing. Both should be uncontroversial and considering the invasive nature of the test, this is not going to be that useful on its own. I think the main value here is to narrow in a cohort for further study, and I wouldn't be surprised if it turns out this is the group suffering from mitochondrial dysfunction for example.

"Study helps explain post-COVID exercise intolerance"

https://news.yale.edu/2023/12/19/study-helps-explain-post-covid-exercise-intolerance posted:

(..)
When a patient reports shortness of breath or exercise intolerance, physicians will usually run tests—such as CT scans, echocardiograms, or pulmonary function testing—to determine whether the symptom is being caused by limitations in the lungs or the heart since, typically, it's one or the other. In some cases, however, neither lung nor heart function appears to be hindered.

Evidence has emerged that patients with long-term COVID-19 who experience these symptoms tend to fall in the latter category, with standard tests identifying no heart or lung limitations.

For these patients, the next step is typically a cardiopulmonary exercise test in which the patient rides a stationary bike or runs on a treadmill while sensors track physiological activity up to the point the person feels they have to stop the exercise. However, there are still patients for whom this type of test reveals no cause of exercise intolerance.

Yale is one of very few places in the United States where a more advanced version of this evaluation—the invasive cardiopulmonary exercise test, or iCPET—is available. For the test, pressure-sensing catheters are inserted into the pulmonary artery, a main blood vessel in the lungs, and at an artery in the wrist. As patients exercise, physicians track various measures to observe how well the heart, lungs, blood vessels, and muscles are functioning.

In the new study, 55 patients were evaluated for post-COVID exercise intolerance, including 41 who showed no evidence of heart or lung limitations after initial tests. They then underwent iCPET.

"We found that despite the fact that the heart was pumping oxygenated blood that the lungs were providing adequate amounts of oxygen for, the extraction of oxygen by the body's tissues was compromised in patients who had symptoms of exercise intolerance after COVID," said Peter Kahn, a pulmonary and critical care fellow at Yale School of Medicine and lead author of the study.
(..)
Another benefit of this research, said Kahn, is dispelling potentially harmful myths that have emerged around post-COVID exercise intolerance. Some patients have been told that their symptoms are a result of deconditioning or decline from lack of physical activity and that reconditioning alone would address the intolerance.

"Our findings contradict that hypothesis and instead support the idea that there is a clear physiologic abnormality underpinning the symptoms experienced by our patients," said Kahn.

While iCPET revealed that impaired oxygen extraction was a common occurrence among the post-COVID patients in the study, the test is invasive, time-intensive, and not offered in most medical centers. With this finding in hand, however, future studies may be able to uncover alternative, less invasive tests that can achieve the same results, the researchers say.

"Our findings not only provide the beginnings of a mechanistic insight into exercise intolerance in those with post-COVID exertional intolerance but also provide an opportunity to consider less invasive diagnostic testing and begin a renewed focus on targeted therapies," said Kahn.

Study proper:
"Differential Cardiopulmonary Hemodynamic Phenotypes in PASC Related Exercise Intolerance"

https://openres.ersjournals.com/content/early/2023/12/07/23120541.00714-2023 posted:

Abstract
Background Post-acute sequelae of COVID-19 (PASC) affects a significant portion of patients who have previously contracted SARS-CoV-2, with exertional intolerance being a prominent symptom.

Study Objective This study aimed to characterize the invasive hemodynamic abnormalities of PASC-related exertional intolerance using a larger data set from invasive cardiopulmonary exercise testing (iCPET).

Study Design & Intervention Fifty-five patients were recruited from the Yale Post-COVID-19-Recovery-Program, with most experiencing mild acute illness. Supine right heart catheterization (RHC) and iCPET were performed on all participants.

Main results The majority (75%) of PASC patients exhibited impaired peak systemic oxygen extraction (pEO2) during iCPET in conjunction with supranormal cardiac output (CO) (i.e., PASC alone group), On average, the PASC alone group exhibited a “normal” peak exercise capacity, VO2 (89±18% predicted). Approximately 25% of patients had evidence of central cardiopulmonary pathology (i.e., 12 with resting and exercise HFpEF and 2 with exercise PH). PASC patient with HFpEF (i.e., PASC HFpEF group) exhibited similarly impaired pEO2 with well compensated PH (i.e., peak VO2 and cardiac output >80% respectively) despite aberrant central cardiopulmonary exercise hemodynamics. PASC patients with HFpEF also exhibited increased body mass index of 39±7 kg·m−2. To examine the relative contribution of obesity to exertional impairment in PASC HFpEF, a control group compromising of obese non-PASC group (n=61) derived from historical iCPET cohort was used. The non-PASC obese patients with preserved peak VO2 (>80% predicted) exhibited a normal peak pulmonary artery wedge pressure (17±14 versus 25±6 mmHg; p=0.03) with similar maximal voluntary ventilation (90±12 versus 86±10%predicted; p=0.53) compared to PASC HFpEF patients. Impaired pEO2 was not significantly different between PASC patients who underwent supervised rehabilitation and those who did not (p=0.19).

Conclusions This study highlights the importance of considering impaired pEO2 in PASC patients with persistent exertional intolerance unexplained by conventional investigative testing. Results of current study also highlights the prevalence of a distinct high output failure HFpEF phenotype in PASC with a primary peripheral limitation to exercise.

Edit: Forgot to add the link to the first article :negative:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 14:32 on Jan 4, 2024

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

RBC posted:

if theres one thing i love its work christmas parties with insanely dumb coworkers i hate with an incredible chance of debilitating illness

tis the season

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

Not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I think - technically speaking - COVID should have your silhouette twice on the side of its cubicle.

BRB, designing decals for each of the spike structures I’ve outlasted.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Pingui posted:

Well, that's a new one to me.
"Bilateral Vocal Cord Paralysis Requiring Long-term Tracheostomy After SARS-CoV-2 Infection"
sad lol

quote:

Given continued stridor, as well as the new onset of dysphagia, left-sided weakness, paresthesias, and gait unsteadiness, she was admitted for a comprehensive multidisciplinary workup.
Her left-sided weakness and paresthesias were thought most likely to be functional in nature, although a SARS-CoV-2-related etiology could not be excluded. Her vocal cord paresis was thought likely to be related to the preceding SARS-CoV-2 infection.
Notably, weakness and paresthesias had resolved by the time of her first outpatient neurology follow-up appointment, consistent with a transient SARS-CoV-2-related effect versus a functional disorder precipitated by the significant stress caused by her breathing difficulties at the time of her initial presentation.
we think SARS-CoV-2 is causing impairment of her vocal cords, she's got other neurological symptoms, so the most likely explanation for the latter is... she's panicking about her vocal cords and that's causing her other neurological symptoms

(time passes)

it was SARS-CoV-2 all along! you sneaky devil!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I was on a 14 hour flight and unmasked for meals and put a fresh one on following. I think people saying just go hungry are being too unrealistic. IMO this is about the best you can do unless you want to chance low blood sugar and passing out. I wore an N95, did not get sick.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

chancing low blood sugar after 14 hours of not eating . those are big risks. (understand for some people it is )

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CGI Stardust posted:

JCVI: "there's no evidence of sufficiently high quality and consistency to support vaccination having any protection against Long COVID so we're not going to include its potential effects in our calculations"

Someone I know was talking about being accused of “making GBS threads on the JCVI”.

I am proud to poo poo on JCVI any day of the week.

Vesi
Jan 12, 2005

pikachu looking at?
co2 on the flights I've been to is around 1200 mid-flight so like a closed 2 person room, considering hepa filtering so I'd say it's 10/25 Bob Wachters

the best you can do is hold your breath when chewing/drinking and exhale only after mask is back on, with minimal practice anyone can do it for 1-2min

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Pingui posted:

"Study helps explain post-COVID exercise intolerance"

Thanks. Got any studies explaining my pre-COVID exercise intolerance?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

WrasslorMonkey posted:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1326020023023968 posted:

Obesity as a barrier to physical activity

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

WrasslorMonkey posted:

https://youtu.be/dZqo4OZ0Pqs

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Steve Yun posted:

oKay came across a new failure mode for vflexes

rubber bands got stretched out enough that now it doesn’t get a tight seal

I moved away from my box of Auras to another mask because of this exact reason. I found it only took two of three days for the rubber bands to start getting too stretched out or fatigued enough to snap without much force.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Jfc I don't get some people. I got a coworker who usually overshare and he just cc me on an email that he got nauseous after dinner and started vomiting blood through the night before deciding to go to the ER. Then got an update this morning from them that they just got out of the hospital and they'll get some prescription today and apologizing that they have to miss work today and hopefully they'll get back to work tomorrow or Friday.

You were just loving hurling blood! Just take the next two weeks off Jesus christ

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

NeonPunk posted:

Jfc I don't get some people. I got a coworker who usually overshare and he just cc me on an email that he got nauseous after dinner and started vomiting blood through the night before deciding to go to the ER. Then got an update this morning from them that they just got out of the hospital and they'll get some prescription today and apologizing that they have to miss work today and hopefully they'll get back to work tomorrow or Friday.

You were just loving hurling blood! Just take the next two weeks off Jesus christ

We're still floundering in the covid swamp while some forward thinking trendsetters have already moved on to hanta virus

:luckyducky:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

new york city and state hospitalizations up 20% in one day

zoomed out to show last year's peak for reference. 20% in one day is the largest % jump in one day that i can find since... winter 2021 :ohdear:

https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/daily-hospitalization-summary

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

kinda matches up with the degree to which i've heard about people around me getting sick/seeing them call out sick. been about two weeks.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Old Swerdlow posted:

I moved away from my box of Auras to another mask because of this exact reason. I found it only took two of three days for the rubber bands to start getting too stretched out or fatigued enough to snap without much force.

I’ve been harvesting the fabric straps off Auras as they get soiled (my kids are gross) in anticipation of running out of the big boxes I ordered and being left with the crappy blue rubber banded ones. Alternately you could just order the elastic from like Joanna’s or similar and cut it to the right length yourself and staple it on after removing the blue straps. (Also works with the vented auras and their confusingly irritating shorter straps that make them too tight).
Good needle nose pliers to remove the old staples carefully so you don’t trash the mask, you can line up the holes with the new staple if you’re careful. Hell you could probably even sew them on for more comfort.

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

zoomed out to show last year's peak for reference. 20% in one day is the largest % jump in one day that i can find since... winter 2021 :ohdear:

don't worry i'm sure emily oster can find a higher-order derivative somewhere in the data to show us that this is, in fact, an optical illusion

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

But where are the deaths, huh?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

captainbananas posted:

don't worry i'm sure emily oster can find a higher-order derivative somewhere in the data to show us that this is, in fact, an optical illusion

saw another feature in my local paper about her new fashion line or whatever and idk i just blanked out for a while after that

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

dunno if anyone posted this yet but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frSHj1W3OuU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Rescue Toaster posted:

But where are the deaths, huh?

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
my colleague called out sick, told me negative for covid and strep but her doctor was out of flu tests. office is full of coughing people again. local county health district is silent, harris county health is pushing hand washing lmao

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

So I'm hearing that some hospitals are now reinstating their policy of doing a covid PCR tests on every patients being admitted. That's uhh probably a big deal?

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Steely Dad posted:

mild severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2)

lol

captainbananas
Sep 11, 2002

Ahoy, Captain!

Insanite posted:

saw another feature in my local paper about her new fashion line or whatever and idk i just blanked out for a while after that

It's so loving grotesque, haha. I can only tilt my head to the sky and laugh when I think about it. And a lot about all this poo poo, really.

My neck hurts

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Had a fight with my gf like it's 2021 over whether she should mask and NOT go to a restaurant after a funeral on Saturday. Lmao! I love being the only person I know who gives a poo poo!

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
Funerals only happen to other people.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Oh, there's a non-AI translation now of that Harvard business review article on long covid impact to business

https://www.manager-magazin.de/harvard/long-covid-and-the-economy-there-is-money-in-prevention-a-54022db9-428f-41d7-b71c-3f9befa58b0e

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Why Am I So Tired posted:

Funerals only happen to other people.

relocating to the necropolis litharege for freedom from all of these lockdowns

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

still fairly quiet covid-wise here in the Plague Peninsula but I'm sure that's going to change very quickly with holiday travel :)

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I only seem to recall that there was some drama about the Flo masks a long time ago, what ended up actually happening? Did they falsify their niosh certification or something?

Also, it looks like Andrew Collins now trusts a 9105 VFlex for airplane flights, I feel very validated :3:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I can tell that this wave is a bad one because multiple people that used to be regulars but a year or two ago posted about giving up on COVID mitigations and moved on have started showing back up.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
Also on Monday we got my daughter her leg cast and this time there was a whole one mask in the entire place other than us - the nurse who did her cast was wearing a loose surgical and sucking down cough drops. Which is, you know, awesome. Guess we find out in another couple of days if she caught covid getting medical care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

I only seem to recall that there was some drama about the Flo masks a long time ago, what ended up actually happening? Did they falsify their niosh certification or something?

In scruffy's opinion, they make a lot of noise about "NIOSH-tested!!!!" and intentionally ambiguate that with "NIOSH certified" when the Flo mask is not NIOSH certified as an n95 (or anything else) and the results document from the lab that did the test has this in the header