Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I could have done without knowing that

Watched episode 6 earlier. Really touching. This show is great and really depressingly wholesome. Or wholesomely depressing. Whichever makes more sense to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

TheThirst posted:

I'm 4 episodes in and I absolutely love it. Throughout the first episode my husband's response was to say "This makes me profoundly sad" and then he demanded to keep watching it, and I think that sums it up very well.

yeah. i'm up through episode 5 and this is the response i'm having also.

it's like, what is sadder - the world is definitely coming to an end and humanity freaks out and it becomes a nihilistic hellscape? that's ugly, but it's not so sad. it's almost like we're collectively saying ah well, we didn't deserve to survive anyway. but this show is saying, what if everybody started seeing the value of their life at last, and it's worth saving but you can't. all you can do is try to ignore the huge ball of death in the sky. now that's sad. and relevant, because we actually are all going to die.

the show has a way of constantly making you forget that the world's going to end as people get distracted with their lives, and then you remember. it keeps hitting me as i watch. the idea of a planet coming to hit us is one of my nightmares anyway, i remember being pretty terrified at the ending of melancholia, but i like the way this show is handling the concept a lot better so far.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 18, 2023

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

pixaal posted:

It has a middle series of season that are all over the place because they are coma dreams.

Like he's a space captain and must talk to a bomb voiced by Matt Berry for most of an episode its amazing.

They also did an amazing goodbye for Jessica Walters.

I'll have to check it out - I think I last stopped watching the season they were pirates or on an island or something.

masterpine
Dec 3, 2014

That, uh, was a genuinely very enjoyable episode of Krapopolis. Just kind of out of nowhere it was paced well, had good funny well written lines and a neat little parable story.

Such a frustrating show. There's clearly something very strange going on with its production but the pieces are all there.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I really liked that one. Was that D’Arcy Carden as the hydra?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Archer finale was ultimately satisfying but it felt very rushed at times. Like the Krieger stuff felt very disjointed.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Working on watching Helluva Boss now, lest I completely fall out of touch with The Culture.

It's funny, and that owl song at the beginning of S1E2 is :stare:, but god drat is it exhausting. I can't manage more than like an episode a day.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It gets so much better after the pilot and second episode.

I bounced hard off Hazbin Hotel and, because of that, avoided Helluva Boss for the longest time. But it's really worth a watch.

They've now got subtitles for most of the episodes working, which helps a lot.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ep8 of carol and the end of the world was kinda crappy. i didn't like the pirates taking over the boat storyline, and i don't love the nudist parent thruple thing either. it feels like something more low brow and interested in being wacky. like the show the artstyle suggests it would be. the father son trip was all right, though. i just wish the b story had been carol related.

anyway hopefully the show ends well cos i loved the other episodes.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Got to the end of Carol & the End of the World and I'm okay on it. I think it's good but it doesn't use its premise to its fullest very often.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

roomtone posted:

ep8 of carol and the end of the world was kinda crappy. i didn't like the pirates taking over the boat storyline, and i don't love the nudist parent thruple thing either. it feels like something more low brow and interested in being wacky. like the show the artstyle suggests it would be. the father son trip was all right, though. i just wish the b story had been carol related.

anyway hopefully the show ends well cos i loved the other episodes.

I liked episode 9 the least of all of them and would have ended it there, if it wasn't the second to last one. Episode 10 was kind of phenomenal and left me with a good overall impression of the show.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1737578064543109352?s=20

David Zaslav is coming for the rest of animation.

Zonko_T.M.
Jul 1, 2007

I'm not here to fuck spiders!

Can't wait for Lower Decks to get removed from existence so the quarterly report goes up .05%

A friend who generally has similar taste to me gushed about Helluva Boss. I got really turned off by the manic energy of the first two episodes, but they convinced me to watch some more and the characters got a little depth (and Norman Reedus did a guest spot) I got hooked and watched to the end of the current season. Tom Cardy showing up for a song in the finale was a delight.

I watched the pilot for Hazbin Hotel, it's got the same manic energy the first few episodes of Helluva Boss did, so idk it it'll settle down a bit once it gets going or if it'll stay in that zone.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i just do not get the hazbin hotel and helluva boss appeal, except for children

like, it is loud and fast and a very determined imitation of entertaining, but it's not actually entertaining. i see why kids like it. aside from it having swearing and edgy jokes, i don't see why adults would like it.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I'm genuinely curious what was the logic to making episode 9 of Carol. Why is that your penultimate episode? Are you just filling time?

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
We actually enjoyed it a lot as a standalone "what if". Plus, it was a nice breath before the pretty bleak last episode.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

masterpine posted:

That, uh, was a genuinely very enjoyable episode of Krapopolis. Just kind of out of nowhere it was paced well, had good funny well written lines and a neat little parable story.

Such a frustrating show. There's clearly something very strange going on with its production but the pieces are all there.

I mean it's literally a NFT grift that some of the people working on it are apparently determined to turn into an actual decent show. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a constant game of trying to get actual pacing, writing and jokes past a bunch of braindead techbros.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

DoubleCakes posted:

I'm genuinely curious what was the logic to making episode 9 of Carol. Why is that your penultimate episode? Are you just filling time?

I thought that episode was pretty fantastic tbh. I interpreted it as something she was writing in her spare time

and yeah, the finale was just…..wow.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I think episode 9 would have had a better effect on me if I was more sure of where Carol's emotional state was. Initially I thought it was her dreaming up and alternate universe where the Planet never appeared until I saw it somewhere in episode 9. If I knew where Carol was inside her head, I'd have more fun trying to interpret this "dream sequence".

That's also why I didn't adore the final episode. I didn't know where Carol was psychologically so the sentimentality of the episode didn't land for me even if the episode was directed well and still had a very arresting effect on me especially that ominous rumble towards the last few seconds of the show. That was a brilliant touch.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Data Graham posted:

Working on watching Helluva Boss now, lest I completely fall out of touch with The Culture.

It's funny, and that owl song at the beginning of S1E2 is :stare:, but god drat is it exhausting. I can't manage more than like an episode a day.

i think the pilot and the first episode kinda hurt the show a bit but 2 is where you start getting through lines and stuff. i think season 2 is where the show really really starts to shine but season 1 has some good stuff.

roomtone posted:

i just do not get the hazbin hotel and helluva boss appeal, except for children

like, it is loud and fast and a very determined imitation of entertaining, but it's not actually entertaining. i see why kids like it. aside from it having swearing and edgy jokes, i don't see why adults would like it.

I like it because i genuinly like the characters and their interestionations. I think the humor can be a mixed bag and it works better when the characters are allowed to be themselves. the swearing is mostly blitz0 and you kinda get used to it because its kinda part of who he is. plus they have some genuin good earworm music.

Zonko_T.M. posted:

A friend who generally has similar taste to me gushed about Helluva Boss. I got really turned off by the manic energy of the first two episodes, but they convinced me to watch some more and the characters got a little depth (and Norman Reedus did a guest spot) I got hooked and watched to the end of the current season. Tom Cardy showing up for a song in the finale was a delight.

I watched the pilot for Hazbin Hotel, it's got the same manic energy the first few episodes of Helluva Boss did, so idk it it'll settle down a bit once it gets going or if it'll stay in that zone.

yeah the issues with season 1 is its trying to sorta set stuff up mixed with being episodic and manic and trying to find its place in the humor. season 2 is kinda where its finds its legs thankfully.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 21, 2023

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

Also, in Carol & the End of the World, was it ever confirmed that the Ben Franklin guy shot himself with a 38 because .38 kept showing up on his calculator.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

The pilot for Helluva Boss probably isn't a good place to start, especially since it's no longer canon (except maybe in broad strokes) and something similar probably applies to Hazbin. The show does have a very manic and freewheeling vibe to it, for good and bad. I get the feeling Hazbin is likely to be more structured, though that's only a guess.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

When you say "pilot", do you mean the one labeled as S1E01? The one with the schoolteacher and the affair/murder family? It's not presented any differently from the rest of the sequence.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean it's literally a NFT grift that some of the people working on it are apparently determined to turn into an actual decent show. Wouldn't be surprised if it's a constant game of trying to get actual pacing, writing and jokes past a bunch of braindead techbros.

I legitimately don't get Krapopolis' vibe. Most of the time it's stiff faces, stiffer poses, and half lidded circular eyes. Then you have the fight in Hades and it's clear that someone is trying to make a real show. Most of the writing is by the numbers but then you get a thoughtful piece about how AI will do exactly what you tell it and it will gently caress everything up in unforseen ways without an ounce of malice. It's not good, and it's almost bad, but there's something there.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Data Graham posted:

When you say "pilot", do you mean the one labeled as S1E01? The one with the schoolteacher and the affair/murder family? It's not presented any differently from the rest of the sequence.

No, the pilot came before that and got removed from the official playlist a while back.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Data Graham posted:

No, it's this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlahNrlcgS4

The pilot was removed from the main playlist.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I see. Um ... seems like all the exposition and setup it provides is pretty important for understanding literally anything about the actual show

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Eh; I think episode one gets the important exposition about the basic character dynamics and world set-up through just as well as the pilot does, and isn't nearly as out of character to boot (Moxxie and Stolas are especially off in the pilot). Episode one still lets you know IMP exists as hitpeople for hire to the human world, who can travel there due to a deal with Stolas. I think the only thing the pilot adds to the exposition you don't otherwise get in Murder Family is that Loona was adopted by Blitz.

That being said I like the IMP jingle and the gag at the end of the hospital scene.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That may be, but I would guess that you probably saw the pilot before Ep1 :v:

Me seeing them in reverse order means Ep1 was way more of an overload trying to infer all that. That stuff is all there but a lot more obliquely.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, Helluva Boss gets way better as it goes on in my opinion (though aside from Millie being voiced by the same actress as Loona and Stolas having a different VA I don’t really see how the pilot could be considered out of canon).

I also liked the Hazbin Hotel pilot and am looking forward to the main series in a couple weeks (still a pity they had to change the entire voice cast though, however the new cast does have Keith David at least)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Dec 22, 2023

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Larryb posted:

Yeah, Helluva Boss gets way better as it goes on in my opinion (though aside from Millie being voiced by the same actress as Loona and Stolas having a different VA I don’t really see how the pilot could be considered out of canon).

I read some of the comments to try to infer why it had been decanonized, and most seemed to be saying things about VA changes and different characterizations, which I probably never would have noticed.

My guess would have been that it dropped an R-bomb

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The pilot for Helluva Boss probably isn't a good place to start, especially since it's no longer canon (except maybe in broad strokes) and something similar probably applies to Hazbin. The show does have a very manic and freewheeling vibe to it, for good and bad. I get the feeling Hazbin is likely to be more structured, though that's only a guess.

its also only like 8 episodes this season and viv and other writers have had actual practice now figuring out, i think it will be solid.

Data Graham posted:

I read some of the comments to try to infer why it had been decanonized, and most seemed to be saying things about VA changes and different characterizations, which I probably never would have noticed.

My guess would have been that it dropped an R-bomb

its partly because it doesnt really show the show well. the pilot is alot more crude and mean spirited and edgier then the actual show is. it also kinda has alot of unintional misdirections like with stolas and that the shows gonna be a hosed up office comedy instead of a weird dramedy about trying to be better or etc.

Nikumatic posted:

Eh; I think episode one gets the important exposition about the basic character dynamics and world set-up through just as well as the pilot does, and isn't nearly as out of character to boot (Moxxie and Stolas are especially off in the pilot). Episode one still lets you know IMP exists as hitpeople for hire to the human world, who can travel there due to a deal with Stolas. I think the only thing the pilot adds to the exposition you don't otherwise get in Murder Family is that Loona was adopted by Blitz.

That being said I like the IMP jingle and the gag at the end of the hospital scene.

i genuinly do love the "the gently caress is insurance" joke and the whole gag "you think its them in lovely doctor disgueses trying to operate on a kid but NOPE its just them in the waiting room".

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i genuinly do love the "the gently caress is insurance" joke and the whole gag "you think its them in lovely doctor disgueses trying to operate on a kid but NOPE its just them in the waiting room".

Lol ok I missed that whole headfake. I guess I would have to watch this show three times where everything else needs two

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Data Graham posted:

Lol ok I missed that whole headfake. I guess I would have to watch this show three times where everything else needs two

i dont know if it was fully intentional but the doctors are all clearly voiced by the same people, which may just be limited voice actors but i think that was the joke. my point is i think the show takes off 2 onwards and finds its footing in season 2.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Oh no I totally buy it, it's a good gag and it completely works. It just requires you to be super on the ball because of how much it depends on subtle reading of the character designs and voices, which by that point (just a few minutes in) you're only barely getting a handle on, not helped by how frenetic everything is and how wild everyone's emoting is, to say nothing of the inconsistent line style thanks to the crowdsourced animation.

I'd make an obligatory goons-bad-at-watching-tv joke here but for real I think this show is some "hurt me plenty" mode

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

I only watch shows on ultraviolence

mystes
May 31, 2006

Feldegast42 posted:

I only watch shows on ultraviolence
Is that that service where they include a free digital copy when you buy a dvd and then they tie you down and force you to watch it?

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Data Graham posted:

to say nothing of the inconsistent line style thanks to the crowdsourced animation.

Viv was never good at inbetweening or planning her keyframes so features wouldn't randomly flip in the middle of an arc, etc. and was highly resistant to learning in general. Outsourcing the animation is actually one of her better ideas.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Being "good at inbetweening" sounds like both one of the most crucial and most underappreciated parts of the animation process. Yeah man just draw hundreds of nearly identical images that happen between images A and B and they're probably doing something complex and subtle with their hands. no yeah the Keyframes left out all the hard bits you gotta draw a guy doing origami. nobody will ever know your name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

YggiDee posted:

Being "good at inbetweening" sounds like both one of the most crucial and most underappreciated parts of the animation process. Yeah man just draw hundreds of nearly identical images that happen between images A and B and they're probably doing something complex and subtle with their hands. no yeah the Keyframes left out all the hard bits you gotta draw a guy doing origami. nobody will ever know your name.
I think it's at least somewhat appreciated, at least by the absence of hate from animation nerds who will get angry if there are animation errors when they pause the video