Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

beep by grandpa posted:

Whats the advantage of moonlight/sunshine from using the steamlink app to stream? Ive never heard of these before the last page
for pc to apple tv, i could never get steam link to work well personally. valve discontinuing the set-top boxes and practically giving them away didn't instill much confidence either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

beep by grandpa posted:

Whats the advantage of moonlight/sunshine from using the steamlink app to stream? Ive never heard of these before the last page

I'm rare apparently in that Steam's built-in streaming works really well for me, but the universal take is that it's practically latency-less and higher visual quality than Steam's.

Frankly, the loss of Steam Input is a dealbreaker for me. I played with Moonlight a while, but I don't really think it's worth it for myself.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Dec 20, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Ineffiable posted:

Got a quick guide on how to get mods like that? I assume they're for the remaster edition.

https://www.nexusmods.com/darksoulsremastered/mods/86
https://www.nexusmods.com/darksouls/mods/1407

The item randomizer has a separate entry on Nexus for the Prepare to Die edition and the enemy randomizer is good for both, the only difference on PTDE is that you have to unpack the game files first using another mod; you don't have to do that on Remastered so I'd just use that one. The install for Remastered is literally just:

- Copy the zip contents to the Dark Souls Remastered game folder under home > .steam > steam > steamapps > common > Dark Souls Remastered
- Add the randomizer exe files to Steam in desktop mode, then go back to gaming mode, rename them to something nice in settings and change the Proton version to the latest stable release
- Set the control scheme for both to Controller Settings > Templates > Web Browser (usually near the bottom of the list), right trackpad moves the mouse and soft pull on the right trigger to click with these settings
- Run Dark Souls once if it's a fresh install to get any first time install tasks cleared

Then that's it, go to town. Descriptions of the randomizer settings are on the left so you can tweak them to your leisure, but the defaults should be fine if you just want to jump in. The main thing I make sure to set in the enemy randomizer are:

- Making sure that bosses can be replaced with enemies and vice versa, so bosses appear in the world
- Set Easy Asylum to on, unless you're feeling brave
- Hostile NPCs enabled (so Andre, Undead Merchant, Vamos and Gough can be spawned as enemies)
- Disable Respawning Mosquito Replacement (this can be a seriously bad time depending on what they're replaced with)

You can also manually set which enemies spawn with Open Enemy Config Editor in the bottom right, but after saving the new config you'll need to map Alt-F4 (I put them on L4 and R4 respectively) in order to close the window and run the randomizer. Yes, you too can do the infamous Oops All Gwyn run that put Challenger Andy on the map, but I really wouldn't recommend it.

One fun run I did was to spawn only bosses, but I disabled boss respawn so you could eventually clear out each area and have a chance of actually beating the game. Some of them just yeet themselves out of bounds, but enough remain to make it an absolute nightmare to get through.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Dec 20, 2023

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Finster Dexter posted:

I have an HDR display on my desktop and I can't get any streaming to work to Deck without the colors being totally blown out. This happens on Steam remote play and sunshine/moonlight, so idk. I have to completely disable HDR in my winders settings to get it to look right while streaming to Deck.
Save yourself some settings clicking and use the key shortcut Windows+Alt+B to turn HDR off/on. If you started an application that is using HDR (including windows auto HDR) before turning it off/on it will look weird until you restart those apps.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I am setting up my kids PC in a few days and am going to make him a steam account with family link to mine so he can have access to my library. Is there a way to set it where he will have access to only certain games? Because I don't want to have him playing Cyberpunk for example.

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

UPS is saying my Deck arrives tomorrow, so I'll be spending the night before a 600 mile drive to Alabama loading this thing up and tinkering with it.

I may or may not have become a tad obsessed.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I am setting up my kids PC in a few days and am going to make him a steam account with family link to mine so he can have access to my library. Is there a way to set it where he will have access to only certain games? Because I don't want to have him playing Cyberpunk for example.

Steam posted:

Can I share specific games?
No, libraries are shared in their entirety. You aren't able to select specific games to share or exclude.

Additionally, for users that are borrowing multiple Steam Libraries, they will be unable to choose who they borrow a game from.
There's a few other things to know about as well that's there. But you also might want to check out Family View https://help.steampowered.com/en/faqs/view/6B1A-66BE-E911-3D98 and that might be able to help you with a mix of the two. Like Family Games Library.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Way back I posted here on how to get the Jak & Dexter and Ocarina of Time native ports running.

Someone modded in 3DS models and stuff for Ship of Harkinian. After that other Zelda port got pulled I suggest grabbing these while they're up.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/478711
https://gamebanana.com/mods/477979

Since then OpenGOAL has been expanded to support Jak 2, and has a Decky plugin for even easier installation. It's a fantastic port.
https://opengoal.dev/

malnourish posted:

The best 3D platformers are 3D land on the 3ds and Jak and Daxter

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 20, 2023

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think you mean Jake and Dexter

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ok, crisis averted. I eventually did get a jump long enough to get across that spot in Link’s Awakening.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Heran Bago posted:

Way back I posted here on how to get the Jak & Dexter and Ocarina of Time native ports running.

Someone modded in 3DS models and stuff for Ship of Harkinian. After that other Zelda port got pulled I suggest grabbing these while they're up.
https://gamebanana.com/mods/478711
https://gamebanana.com/mods/477979

Since then OpenGOAL has been expanded to support Jak 2, and has a Decky plugin for even easier installation. It's a fantastic port.
https://opengoal.dev/

Oh hell yeah, thanks for posting about the Jak and Daxter port, I just remembered it existed today and was planning on installing it. Jak 2 being out is a bonus.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

njsykora posted:

The controller plugin they use to translate controller inputs has also been abandoned by its dev so I wonder how much longer Sunshine has for this world.

If you're talking about Vigembus, that's not exactly true. They got a trademark strike from a German company, and the vigemusb driver is end of life, but the current version is up to date as of a few months ago. There is a replacement currently in development by the same dev: https://docs.nefarius.at/projects/VirtualPad/

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I just got Super Stardust HD (PS3 emulated in RPCS3) running on my deck and holy poo poo this rules. It runs smooth as hell.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Question Mark Mound posted:

This is the big rub for me. I prefer playing BG3 on gamepad and it just suddenly stopped working over Moonlight/Sunshine a few weeks ago and I haven’t been able to get it working since.

Steam streaming technically works but runs like absolute garbage for some reason. My deck is on Wi-Fi admittedly but Moonlight was silky smooth.

Yeah, if steam's in-home streaming worked better (and actually resized the monitor resolution to match the deck or deck-docted-to-tv on wayland) then I'd use that. As is it drops tons of frames and is basically unusable if you have an ultrawidescreen on your desktop due to the aspect ratios not matching.

Squiggle posted:

I'm rare apparently in that Steam's built-in streaming works really well for me, but the universal take is that it's practically latency-less and higher visual quality than Steam's.

Frankly, the loss of Steam Input is a dealbreaker for me. I played with Moonlight a while, but I don't really think it's worth it for myself.

I finally got flatpak Sunshine/Moonlight working between my F39 desktop and deck yesterday fully. Though only on X11 and not on Wayland.

I'd recommend Moondeck Buddy (a Decky Loader plugin, you can find it in the plugin repo so no need to side load a github build or something) as it adds a single button to each of your games on your steamdeck to allow a one-click stream of it from your host PC. Assuming you use a compositor that allows it (aka not wayland) it'll also resize your host to the same resolution as your deck screen to prevent it from having to push more pixels than needed. If you setup wake-to-lan on your host PC you can even wake it up from the deck without having to walk over and turn it on. Though you'll probably still need to navigate the login screen if you have it password protected (like you should)

The best thing about Moondeck Buddy though is that it'll pass through your deck controls as the controller on your host, so you should get full steamlink streaming control compatability, something you wouldn't get by going through Moonlight (best you can really get there is xbox or ps3 controller emulation of your steamdeck)

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 20, 2023

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

Rolo posted:

How is BG3 on the deck?

act 3 started to chug pretty bad (and thats where i got distracted by ac6) but otherwise it was pretty okay. ive been meaning to restart it on the oled to see how its been updated.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Attempting PC streaming for the first time.

Trying Fallout New Vegas from my PC that has a 3080 in it.

I get the main menu screen fine

but as soon as I move the mouse I get this

and if I let it sit for a few seconds without moving the mouse it goes back to normal. Am I missing something in the setup of remote play?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Lookup the command in steam to skip the launcher. I ran it all on deck but still needed to skip it because it did annoying stuff like that.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

tell me about myhouse.wad on deck!!

OK so i spent a lot more time with it and got the first neutral ending so Im pretty confident the whole thing works!!! was nice revisiting it after we all went down the rabbithole early this year

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Suburban Dad posted:

Lookup the command in steam to skip the launcher. I ran it all on deck but still needed to skip it because it did annoying stuff like that.

Awesome! Thanks for the quick reply/fix!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

mattfl posted:

Attempting PC streaming for the first time.

Trying Fallout New Vegas from my PC that has a 3080 in it.

I get the main menu screen fine

but as soon as I move the mouse I get this

and if I let it sit for a few seconds without moving the mouse it goes back to normal. Am I missing something in the setup of remote play?

It's gone plaid.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

I have an HDR display on my desktop and I can't get any streaming to work to Deck without the colors being totally blown out. This happens on Steam remote play and sunshine/moonlight, so idk. I have to completely disable HDR in my winders settings to get it to look right while streaming to Deck.

I think this makes sense, since HDR (currently, at least) isn't being streamed. I had the same issue when I tried streaming from my HDR-enabled TV (when my PC was using my TV as a monitor). I was able to address this by turning HDR off on the monitor being streamed. There's a program you can use that will automatically change things like display settings when you run certain programs - https://github.com/Codectory/AutoActions (it actually uses HDR as the main example, and I believe comes with a profile for turning HDR on/off)

I have it set up to make sure my monitor isn't HDR when the streaming program runs (and it can change back to HDR when the program stops running).

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
I am transferring some large files from my desktop to my Deck. They're both wired to the same LAN using CAT-6 cables and a good quality router + switch, yet I am transferring only at about 11.5 MiB/s. I am transferring the files directly to the Deck's MicroSD card.

Is the slow speed bottlenecked by MicroSD write speeds? Why isn't this faster?

Chimp_On_Stilts fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 21, 2023

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

Almost definitely - but you could test that theory by moving something big to the deck drive as a test, see how fast/slow it hauls.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Chimp_On_Stilts posted:

I am transferring some large files from my desktop to my Deck. They're both wires to the same LAN using CAT-6 cables and a good quality router + switch, yet I am transferring only at about 11.5 MiB/s. I am transferring the files directly to the Deck's MicroSD card.

Is the slow speed bottlenecked by MicroSD write speeds? Why isn't this faster?

Yup.

It’s why I’ve said putting large games on the SD card can be a pain in the dick.

I have a game that tried to do an update yesterday on the SD card and it took fuckin forever.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

So I love Shadows of Doubt but I can't seem to find a control scheme that works. I know the dev said that they'd put more time into controller support and all that, but does anyone have a binding that they like?

Bonus points if it uses the actual on-screen buttons, and not like saying "Press C to Crouch" and it's LB on the deck.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

It was running perfectly and while I didnt get that far, all of the perspective and vertical layering tricks worked so I cant imagine the more crazy stuff down the road breaking. If you need help getting it running let me know since theres really no barrier for entry to try it other than own doom 2 or at least have access to DOOM2.WAD

ty. gzdoom?

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Yeah, it requires gzdoom

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
The new version of Proton Experimental is supposed to get HDR working on THPS 1+2, but it seems only for the Steam version. I have the Epic version running via Heroic and still no dice. Tried a bunch of things and it will not activate on my SD Oled.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

jizzdoom? jizzdoom.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beep by grandpa posted:

Yeah, it requires gzdoom

I think I’m too stupid for it, I just played the house level three times and couldn’t figure out anything special about it

bovis
Jan 30, 2007

I think I’m too stupid for it, I just played the house level three times and couldn’t figure out anything special about it

What's up with the soulsphere outside...

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

had my wads in the wrong order :cheers:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Please, WAD responsibly.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Don't get your gzdoom in a wad.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

MarcusSA posted:

Yup.

It’s why I’ve said putting large games on the SD card can be a pain in the dick.

I have a game that tried to do an update yesterday on the SD card and it took fuckin forever.

It's also why I decided to just get a huge SSD and not use an SD card.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I wish I didn't have to use some janky payware program to load files from Windows to an ext4 flash drive

I guess booting a Linux flash drive wouldn't be too much of a pain to mediate between NTFS and ext4

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

You don't!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: Wait I'm misremembering, I did get a giant Fallout modpack loaded through a non-ext4 flash drive in Desktop mode

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 21, 2023

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah Linux can read exFAT flash drives no problem, it's just Windows that inexplicably still doesn't know how to handle ext4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah it’s inexplicable that Microsoft of all people don’t want to make it easy for people to do things with competing OSs