Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCCAnnLRcgY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Catgirl Al Capone posted:

the skit that's lodged deepest in my mind is the "kill jester" bit from limmy's adventure call segment. something about it is comedically perfect and i can't explain it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKo1JPNf4s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXjH4kecKPw

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

scott the woz's skits are okay. i liked when a kid with cancer asked him to review skylanders and he made an entire video where the joke was the kid just wanted an excuse to offload his skylanders toys onto him because 'the dump wont take them'

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like when Grimbeard talks to ParaPug.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Dawgstar posted:

Where my Chad fans at?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

Fil5000 posted:

Where my Chad fans at?

"I know a guy who can hook you up. He's super sick. Like, I think he might be one of the chillest dudes ever-"
"Is it you?"
"...yeah"

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Fun fact, the guys who made the Gollum game are the same guys who made the Deponia games. And this thing.

Everytime I try to watch a Ross' Dungeon video, I end up hating it. There's just something about his voice that just makes me irrationally angry.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
FD Signifier just released a video on Eminem and the paradox of white rappers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5j77D4BnSU

Also quite mean to German food. There's definitely places where you can go out to German restaurants in the US or charming Oktoberfest celebrations, but I guess it is a lot more regional than Italian or Irish heritage celebrations. I think something might be poisoning the well a bit there...

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Good German American food comes from the weird religious enclaves whose strain of Lutheranism was somehow incompatible with all other forms of Lutheranism.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Nuns with Guns posted:

Also quite mean to German food. There's definitely places where you can go out to German restaurants in the US or charming Oktoberfest celebrations, but I guess it is a lot more regional than Italian or Irish heritage celebrations. I think something might be poisoning the well a bit there...

he’s already addressed the German food diss in the comments lol

it’s a good video, I just listened to it on my drive

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Terrible Opinions posted:

Good German American food comes from the weird religious enclaves whose strain of Lutheranism was somehow incompatible with all other forms of Lutheranism.
IME the "somehow" is that they don't allow women to teach Sunday school. My hometown church would've collapsed if men had to do all the work.

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Dawgstar posted:

o yeah i like that guys videos, recs some cool games i've never heard of. but often i'll skip like 10 minutes ahead lol

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Grassy Knowles posted:

In that case my defiant statement is that I like Münecat’s skits

Aren't those more music video than skit?

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Nuns with Guns posted:

A good video, though I was a little disappointed that he only briefly mentioned the Beastie Boys, which makes me notice that they're probably the most successful white rappers who seem to largely avoid white rapper discourse and I'm not entirely sure why? Is it just a quality thing? Don't get me wrong, I love the B-Boys and think they deserve the accolades they receive, it's just kind of weird that every time I've seen discourse about white people in hip hop crop up they kind of just get glossed over with a "Oh right, The Beastie Boys also exist. They're pretty cool dudes. Anyway on to Vanilla Ice..."

Lker
Oct 26, 2010

Nuns with Guns posted:

IIRC, he's based out of Atlanta so the thing that's probably poisoning the well is Helen, GA, which is awfully kitsch.

Rockit
Feb 2, 2017

KingKalamari posted:

A good video, though I was a little disappointed that he only briefly mentioned the Beastie Boys, which makes me notice that they're probably the most successful white rappers who seem to largely avoid white rapper discourse and I'm not entirely sure why? Is it just a quality thing? Don't get me wrong, I love the B-Boys and think they deserve the accolades they receive, it's just kind of weird that every time I've seen discourse about white people in hip hop crop up they kind of just get glossed over with a "Oh right, The Beastie Boys also exist. They're pretty cool dudes. Anyway on to Vanilla Ice..."

IIRC the beasties both were highly acclaimed with their beats and made their embrace of punk vocals and other genres in a time the discourse only cared about white people sounding like normal hip hop and rap . So basically they found an accidental exit back then and were grandfathered out of the discourse that closed that exit.
Not a hip-hop head so itake this with a grain of salt.
Edit: A better way to put it is "At the time, the consensus was that boys were punk-rock allies rather than true white rappers. So different judgements."

Rockit fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 20, 2023

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

KingKalamari posted:

probably for a lot of different reasons

for one, they were Jewish and actually from New York City (and they incorporated that heavily in their image and rapping) which gave them credibility and an inherent oppressed minority status that they arguably wouldn’t have had as gentiles. Instead of being “white kids that didn’t fit in” or “white kids from the wrong side of the tracks” or whatever other white rappers in the 80s and early 90s tried to brand themselves with you could just be aware of the history of Jews in NY/America and just be like “yeah these guys get it”

their appeal to broader white America/the world came through that lens, they weren’t considered *white* in the way that a white Protestant dude from suburbia or exurbia is white, and you’ll often see references to their ethnicity and background in accolades about them. (like was said above me, this is all very specific to the time and place of the 80s-90s, a lot of this probably wouldn’t have worked or been seen the same way at a different time/today)

also post-Paul’s Boutique they, either intentionally/tactfully or unintentionally/because of race poo poo in the music press and media, got slotted more in the “alternative” camp than the “rap/hiphop” camp, especially with the shape that 90s rap took. They started playing instruments more frequently again, started collaborating with guys like Spike Jonze, and despite them personally not having any real crossover with skateboard culture, poo poo like Sabotage/etc are basically considered skateboarder music by many.

Like in the 90s you’d be more likely to see them in rotation with like Rage Against the Machine than any hip hop act.

It’s not until the mid-2000s with the appraisal of formative rap acts and “elder statesmen” and groups like the Beasties/Run DMC, etc getting Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nods and lifetime achievement awards, and them releasing a sort of retrospective/deliberately retro album with To the Five Boroughs…..then MCA being sick for a while and giving the band an opportunity to sort of set their own swan song, that people were like “Run DMC, Public Enemy, Beastie Boys….”

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 20, 2023

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

thinking about how 3rd Bass would be remembered if MC Serch wasn't such a freak

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

it was always funny listening to the beastie boys because it was always pretty clean but then a black rapper would guest and drop the soft A and it would take me by surprise.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

trilobite terror posted:

and despite them personally not having any real crossover with skateboard culture, poo poo like Sabotage/etc are basically considered skateboarder music by many.

Avoiding patronizing you because you assuredly know this but they did start as a hardcore band, and maybe less known in the 90s Ad Rock was in another hardcore band with Mike D's brother in law that was definitely skate punk oriented called Dead loving Last. So they definitely did have some feelers in the skate scene of the 80s and 90s. This video owns btw

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Nazzadan posted:

Avoiding patronizing you because you assuredly know this but they did start as a hardcore band, and maybe less known in the 90s Ad Rock was in another hardcore band with Mike D's brother in law that was definitely skate punk oriented called Dead loving Last. So they definitely did have some feelers in the skate scene of the 80s and 90s. This video owns btw

yeah that’s fair, and that’s why I said they started using instruments again, and obviously if they’re friends with Spike Jonez then they at least were around the 90s skate scene

I just mean that AFAIK they weren’t exactly like Warped Tour guys

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Lker posted:

IIRC, he's based out of Atlanta so the thing that's probably poisoning the well is Helen, GA, which is awfully kitsch.

lol okay yeah that's pretty loving kitch. I was driving more at how there's some extra menacing overtones if you're doing "German Cultural Pride" celebrations. I guess in some ways some cutsey-ness is needed to distance from those implicaitons, but a fabricated Bavarian tourist trap mocked up from 1960s zoning schemes sure does lean into the bad side of that.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

here's some fun things you can do with cords

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrVkscstXwE

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Chad Chad is funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0PnG54dMys

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

seconding Chad Chad as both Funny and Good

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

I find her stuff hit or miss. Her writing and comic timing are good, but she often goes way overboard with her editing. I dunno, I guess it's a valid style, but it doesn't really connect with me.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ever since someone posted that video of the guy talking about why youtubers all hold microphones now i want all youtubers i see who hold their microphone to die (spiritually)

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VToXKOOK4mw

Somerton responds

Guess he couldn't figure out how to write a credible scripted apology or find one to plagiarize because ugh is this messy

Sardonik fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Dec 21, 2023

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

very hard pressed to watch a 35 minute video from this man

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Spaced God posted:

very hard pressed to watch a 35 minute video from this man

Yeah I wouldn't recommend it, even at 2X speed.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It'd be hilarious if he ripped off Shia LeBeouf, who plagiarised his own apology for ripping off Daniel Clowes.

Not giving him the time of day. He is finished. Only legal people should be talking.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I watched a minute and I'm gonna be real I'm not particularly fond of listening to a dude talk about how he tried to kill himself as some sort of lovely apology.

Saagonsa fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Dec 21, 2023

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

when does he start playing the ukulele or is that just for sex pests

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i don’t want the guy to hurt himself or anything but given that somerton has provably spent his entire career lying and talking about the ‘harm’ people caused by accusing him of plagiarism i don’t really care about anything he has to say

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

lmao he's reactivated his patreon

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

chad chad is indeed good, actually

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1737644295719674363?t=75KbKUr0ImU2OBQmWZ7grw&s=19

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1737645449497190414?t=sdkz3ofZlgl3GFKah22ykg&s=19

https://twitter.com/jessiegender/status/1737646266052739262?t=zO-sOuFNpBvsPd9XwTSO0w&s=19

Lmao this apology video rules. Just incredible

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yet never says plagiarism and spends most of the video talking about how sad he is.

Hey rear end in a top hat, how about the people you stole from while you're restarting your patreon so you can continue to steal? How about we feel sad for them instead, support them instead and leave you and your "career" buried. Sounds like a much better use of time than a lovely sob story non-apology video. There's enough non-apology videos out there that I'm not buying it. It's a sympathy plea after he got caught, nothing more. He hasn't earned the right for people to trust his word.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Dec 21, 2023

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

I don't think his apology video is going to stay up for long, but he's doing the same thing he's always done; going hard on the sob story, minimizing what he's actually done wrong (he keeps focusing on "I cited things poorly" instead of basically ever actually admitting he just outright took poo poo) and promising to do better in the future.

also he wants to put the videos back up so he can "donate the ad rev to the creators he stole from" and he's also put his patreon back up so "everyone can unsub from it and not pay in January"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This is such a weird video that he clearly spent a lot of time on.