Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Boco_T posted:

Midweek Magic is Historic Artisan, and the only card that wasn't legal from my regular Historic Affinity deck was Hallowed Fountain so I just put basics in instead.

For some reason Treasure Cruise is allowed though, so the best deck is almost certainly UR Spells with Young Pyromancer and the 5/5 serpent.

That deck is kinda fun. But I think the serpent is bad in that deck.

Also my main artisan deck continues to be rackdos madness, especially now that the allied colours have an untapped dual at uncommon. Mana is brutal for the izzet spells deck.

e: next game after posting: Tapped out for my iconoclast on turn 2, opponent attacks for 14 damage lifelink with their illuminator.
Maybe UW illuminator is a better home for cruise. I will miss thee, looting.

VictualSquid fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Dec 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

flatluigi posted:

i do think conjuring has a lot more affordances to deckbuilding than just making a token (can't bounce/flicker tokens, can't reanimate tokens, can't shuffle tokens into decks). oracle of the alpha is a good example of a card that keys off of it to make a pretty interesting design (not just because people suddenly learned that you can feel bad about drawing a black lotus). there's also a playtest card called Gunk Slug that lives in the back of my head as something that i'd love to see ascend to real design, but would require changing a lot of rules in paper (but would work cleanly as an alchemy card)

imo there's two basic ways to design a digital only card -- make something really flashy like specialize that clearly would never work in paper no matter how you try, or make something that could almost work in paper if there weren't fundamental issues like 'it'd reveal too much information' or 'it'd have serious memory issues' or (less "almost") 'you'd have to make cards identical to real cards out of thin air.' i don't think either approach is inherently wrong, but there's a lot more ways for the former to break bad since you're not leaning on the years of design of approximate mechanics for the latter

Eternal Card Game was very MTG With The Serial Numbers Filed Off, and it had a lot of very cool digital only keyword abilities like "if this card is on top of your deck you can see it and cast it from the top of your deck", "when you draw this card, create a second copy of it in your hand", and "when this attacks, the top creature card of your deck gets +x/+x permanently" and that's just from the first set.

Hex (rip) also had some wacky abilities like putting a bunch of crud cards in your opponent's deck that said "when you draw this, exile it and your opponent [the person that put the crud in this deck in the first place] gets a 1/1 token, draw a card" and psuedo-morph/foretell/suspend creatures that had triggered abilities while they were outside the game waiting to come into play.

If anything, wotc is thinking too small with their wacky digital cards.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Lone Goat posted:

Hex (rip) also had some wacky abilities like putting a bunch of crud cards in your opponent's deck that said "when you draw this, exile it and your opponent [the person that put the crud in this deck in the first place] gets a 1/1 token, draw a card"

eternal also had this, lol. but the 1/1s had deathtouch.

also had a different crud card which was "you deal 5 damage to yourself"

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

I jammed some Dimir Surveil with Spybug and Thoughtbound Phantasm. Was very fun in Midweek Magic.

Sinister Sabotage probably should have been replaced by Make Disappear but whatever.

Eeevil
Oct 28, 2010

Well obviously he didn't see it, or he'd be wearing a hardhat :colbert:
I just went with unga bunga white lifegain, seemed good

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

The Unfinity acorn card Claire D'Loon, Joy Sculptor turns tokens you own into cards that are still tokens. No idea how it works under the rules hood but it's fairly intuitive and seems like that effect could be used to replicate some alchemy mechanics.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Khanstant posted:

The Unfinity acorn card Claire D'Loon, Joy Sculptor turns tokens you own into cards that are still tokens. No idea how it works under the rules hood but it's fairly intuitive and seems like that effect could be used to replicate some alchemy mechanics.

"it doesn't, that's why it's acorn"

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Whooping Crabs posted:

Solution: don't play blue, the color of unfun magic

Blue *is* fun, just not for the person matched against it.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

I played this bullshit from a Sam Black stream like a year ago, with no changes

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
LCI draft has been fine and all, but I just played a WOE QD and is it me or was that format a lot more fun?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

Lone Goat posted:

I played this bullshit from a Sam Black stream like a year ago, with no changes

junk winder is what a lot of the mfs in this thread be doing

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I only played a handful of Timeless matches together but they were almost all against TOR/Sheoldred piles. Huge shift from even just a few days ago where it was non-stop UR Aggro decks. I think when the dust settles the meta is going to be pretty diverse. The tempo decks not having access to Daze and Wasteland makes a lot of bigger strategies viable.

fadam fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Dec 20, 2023

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Midweek played monoblue fairies to 3/1, seems pretty solid.

Toozler
Jan 12, 2012

I used this bonkers rear end Symmetry Sage card to pummel everyone into dust

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
If you play standard decks in Timeless they'll try to match you with the other goobers.

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Khanstant posted:

If you play standard decks in Timeless they'll try to match you with the other goobers.

I got matched against someone playing a Mono G starter deck during the Timeless MWM.

I had a pretty slow start and they resolved a 6 mana 8/8 Aggressive Mammoth.

By then I had Lurrus out and was able to win the game from there, but I did get concerned that my broken pile of cards (Ragavan, DRC, Bowmasters) was going to get beaten by someone playing vanilla green creatures on curve.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

If you just put 8+ edicts in your deck, you can steamroll the Historic Bo1 queue right now because everyone's on the Geist of Saint Traft nonsense combo.

Ultimatefire
May 6, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

Glutton is certainly first pickable, but I'd probably have taken Witchstalker Frenzy over it - Frenzy is really good. ...
P1P2: Agatha is completely unplayable ...
P1P5: Faun is fine, but not a card you want to pick this early ...
P1P6: Merry Bards are not very good. ...
P1P7: Stopgap makes me consider going into U here. Spearguard is fine but you can get a billion. At this point, however, our card choices will be massively different so it's hard to go "oh I'd be having x deck now". I'll continue commenting on picks with your current pool in mind
P1P9: okay, one last comment: Hatching Plans wheeling would be amazing if I had Fae Court, Stopgap, and Edgewall Inn for fixing and I'd definitely be going UG goodstuff now

Your final deck is okay if a little underpowered due to individual choices.

Thanks man! Took some advice, did okay! 4-3 ... definitely still playing at a gold level and winning some games due to opponent's throwing. I agree with basically all of your notes, Toadstool unplayable, Agatha unplayable, Bards unimpressive... reviewing the draft with someone else's POV helps to see basic stuff like that.

Repost of the 17lands:
https://www.17lands.com/details/7959445a14754dc09ac58d41f016f333

Definitely was not drafting at A+ nor playing at A+ when I got around to it lmao

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Haha this MWM is peak jank. I love it.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
apparently i had a bunch of free packs to claim i just never knew because i don't read the news section of the app. so uhh, if you dont check that prolly check it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i know they dont reveal the sauce because they dont want it gamed but i really really wish they would give more indications of how ranked queueing works

or at least let me be like “i want a truly random opp. i want to face death to feel alive.”

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

Share Bear posted:

i know they dont reveal the sauce because they dont want it gamed but i really really wish they would give more indications of how ranked queueing works

or at least let me be like “i want a truly random opp. i want to face death to feel alive.”

If you want a truly random opponent play constructed events.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Was climbing pretty fast through Platinum tonight with BW Death and Taxes but then I ran into a 1-2 loss vs Jund and that felt so gross I quit for the night

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

What are the best hate cards playable in monoblack standard against the decks playing etali/atraxa/breech etc? I've got two copies of Stone Brain in my sideboard but it doesn't work that well since those decks tend to run multiple different cards rather than 4 of the same, they're pretty interchangeable.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

distortion park posted:

What are the best hate cards playable in monoblack standard against the decks playing etali/atraxa/breech etc? I've got two copies of Stone Brain in my sideboard but it doesn't work that well since those decks tend to run multiple different cards rather than 4 of the same, they're pretty interchangeable.

Have you considered playing more than one colour to get access to better, more targeted hate cards?

If you need to stick to monoblack for some reason then traditionally the best option to fight ramp is to use discard spells - after seeing what they have in hand, you can take either the ramp or the payoffs to disrupt them and then beat them up before they draw out of it. Unfortunately since you don't have thoughtseize, and both the ramp and payoffs are a mix of creatures and non-creatures, you're going to have to play a mix of effects and hope that they line up with your opponent's draws.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
i'm playing a graveyard hate/discard deck with a bunch of Voldaren Epicure, Hopeless Nightmare, Skullcap Snail, and Graveyard Trespasser, with a few The End for Sheoldred or other huge thing I can't get through. Just keep their hand and graveyard disrupted as long as possible and hope you don't get Farewells or Etali'd before you can ping them down.

Also Ob Nixilis is still very fun if you can get Urabrask Forge online early.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

ex post facho posted:

i'm playing a graveyard hate/discard deck with a bunch of Voldaren Epicure, Hopeless Nightmare, Skullcap Snail, and Graveyard Trespasser, with a few The End for Sheoldred or other huge thing I can't get through. Just keep their hand and graveyard disrupted as long as possible and hope you don't get Farewells or Etali'd before you can ping them down.

Also Ob Nixilis is still very fun if you can get Urabrask Forge online early.

Can you share your list? Graveyard Trespasser really does a lot of work for me. (I'm currently playing a similar list to this, although I have replaced the sheoldreds with Bloodletter of Aclazotz and have a couple of obliterators in the board)

Jabor posted:

Have you considered playing more than one colour to get access to better, more targeted hate cards?

If you need to stick to monoblack for some reason then traditionally the best option to fight ramp is to use discard spells - after seeing what they have in hand, you can take either the ramp or the payoffs to disrupt them and then beat them up before they draw out of it. Unfortunately since you don't have thoughtseize, and both the ramp and payoffs are a mix of creatures and non-creatures, you're going to have to play a mix of effects and hope that they line up with your opponent's draws.

I don't really have the landbase at the moment, but could add blue or white I guess. Most of the two colour decks I see are quite different though to my current deck. and playing Bloodletter would become a bit rough (cutting Obliterator would be fine, it's only good in matchups I already do well in).

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
My hot take is you will still enjoy yourself like 90% as much with the always tapped nonrare dual lands as you would with the rare dual lands, even if it very much is not 90% of the winrate. Toss in the gainlands, new capenna fetchlands, etc for now and upgrade the lands at your own pace.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Added two Natural Order to my Primeval Titan deck, replacing Golos. I just won a game where I had turn 3 Natural Order against my opponent's turn 3 Natural Order for Worldspine Wurm. The wurm got eaten by eleven zombies.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Chamale posted:

Added two Natural Order to my Primeval Titan deck, replacing Golos. I just won a game where I had turn 3 Natural Order against my opponent's turn 3 Natural Order for Worldspine Wurm. The wurm got eaten by eleven zombies.

That sounds amazing, high powered magic is so fun :allears:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

If anyone actually wants quick wins in artisan take this list: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=4011157&pagenumber=346&perpage=40#post536471893

Then remove the companion, guide-beast, 4x mage, and the channel land, replace with a mountain, 4x rabbit battery, and then add/replace some number of thuds for callous sell-sword (slight upside with swiftspear, better against counter magic if you use on a non-goblin).

I ended up at 15-1 yesterday with lots of turn 3 wins.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I currently have three quests for playing green and white spells, guess I should probably figure out a cheap deck for those colors lol

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

Fajita Queen posted:

I currently have three quests for playing green and white spells, guess I should probably figure out a cheap deck for those colors lol
Starter deck duel (tho that GW deck is kinda awful tbh)

or go hog wild with Botanical Brawler + Dusk Legion Duelist + Ozolith + Quirion Beastcaller + Backup creatures (replace the rares with any counter-giving creature you can find).

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Simply Simon posted:

I happen to have been playing the gw deck in starter deck duel the past few days, and I'll have you know it's perfectly fine :colbert: as long as they don't kill all your threats too early, you can build up a big boy fairly well that completely takes over the game

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

kalel posted:

I happen to have been playing the gw deck in starter deck duel the past few days, and I'll have you know it's perfectly fine :colbert: as long as they don't kill all your threats too early, you can build up a big boy fairly well that completely takes over the game
I grant that it's not super underpowered but it's mostly not very interesting for me to play. It's extremely straight forward - just make things big and smash. Not even many synergies (that awful 2/2 that grows eot if you put a counter on sth lol), even the one rare (the angel that grows stuff below 2 power) does nothing but make things bigger. There's a lot of fun to have with counters (see above) but that deck is not it imo

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The Timeless card I didn't expect to lose to as much as I have:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Manadork typal vs manadork typal in the artisan event. Earlier I was playing against goblins. Though yesterday it was all mono-r burn and izzet burn.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

fadam posted:

The Timeless card I didn't expect to lose to as much as I have:

Is it being used in a particular way other than a kind-of aggro one drop?

Life has hit me hard the last week so I haven't been able to jam Arena much, which makes me sad reading about how the format is already evolving.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Simply Simon posted:

or go hog wild with Botanical Brawler + Dusk Legion Duelist + Ozolith + Quirion Beastcaller + Backup creatures (replace the rares with any counter-giving creature you can find).

The GW Starter deck from last year that relied on creatures entering the battlefield kicked rear end, as it was the first deck where by turn 7 you're getting fireworks of triggers on the stack for each creature entering.

Here's some more fun GW decks for ya:

LotR Food deck:

Standard Food (splashing Black)

Toy Helicopter

Human Tokens

& potentially the most effective of the bunch, Willow Geist Graveyard hijinks.

Just do not under any circumstances play GW Enchantments. Deck's finally fading, we must let it go~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
You can let GW enchantments go, but Kami is always coming back.