Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
the argument seems to be "it wasn't a hate crime because they were planning to kill other people"

which, even if it's true, there's plenty of evidence to show why they chose her first

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gort posted:

Yeah, fake meat can't get better fast enough. There's some fake stuff that's just as good as the real stuff, mostly in the "trash meat" department. I like Quorn hotdogs, for example.

There's an amazing selection of Chinese vegetarian cuisine with various types of tofu which is amazing and really sad that you can't get it here. There's Japanese version but they don't lean so much into the "mock meat" angle but just cook tofu in a million different ways.

You can have a full "meat" meal made entirely of soyabeans and yam with mock duck, fish etc. It really is delicious.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Julio Cruz posted:

the argument seems to be "it wasn't a hate crime because they were planning to kill other people"

which, even if it's true, there's plenty of evidence to show why they chose her first
The problem is that they're saying it wasn't a factor as it it wasn't the primary motivating factor - she was also anxious, introverted and didn't have a wide circle of friends, which it sounds like are characteristics shared by others on the list.

However the way they're wording it makes it sound like it wasn't a factor at all, which is plainly untrue.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I feel like there might be transphobia related reasons why a trans girl might be anxious and isolated. So transphobia and second order effects of transphobia.

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
Fake bacon works just as well if not better for devils on horseback tbf. It doesn’t crisp, it hardens, which for my money is better.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Jakabite posted:

Fake bacon works just as well if not better for devils on horseback tbf. It doesn’t crisp, it hardens, which for my money is better.

Wtf is a devil on horseback?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the same thing as a pig in blanket.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
the devil is a kind of pig and a horse is also a kind of pig

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Julio Cruz posted:

I'm sure this facial-recognition system will be able to tell black people apart

It will! Just not from other black people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wtf is a devil on horseback?

OwlFancier posted:

I think the same thing as a pig in blanket.
Similar but a plum wrapped in bacon.

Which they were already willing to bend language enough to call a devil on horseback so they can't complain if it's made out of other things.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Z the IVth posted:

There's an amazing selection of Chinese vegetarian cuisine with various types of tofu which is amazing and really sad that you can't get it here. There's Japanese version but they don't lean so much into the "mock meat" angle but just cook tofu in a million different ways.

You can have a full "meat" meal made entirely of soyabeans and yam with mock duck, fish etc. It really is delicious.

Can highly recommend this place which was within easy driving distance of where I used to live:

https://www.veggie-world.com

If you happen to live in the area (Bletchley/Milton Keynes), they do *excellent* vegan Chinese takeaway with fake-meat stuff. I used to go there with my wife now and then and she said the Vegan duck was fairly convincing. I've never had real duck but I can tell you it was very tasty.

Anyway, of more relevance to the thread is that they also have an online shop where you can order a really wide variety of vegan frozen meat substitutes - including the duck I mentioned, and have it delivered anywhere in the UK.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 20, 2023

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Feeling very mad at Stagecoach buses after getting to spend an extra 90 minutes in a wet & windy town because the bus I got on hadn't bothered to change the name on the front, so took me in the wrong direction from.

The worst company

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Guavanaut posted:

Similar but a plum wrapped in bacon.

A prune

Angels on Horseback is an oyster wrapped in bacon, nowhere near as good as it sounds

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Food chat:

The smell of both bacon (and that generic fryup smell) and oranges makes me feel sick.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Quorn nuggets taste exactly like McNuggets, which is why I always keep a bag of them in the freezer. Dangerous to know I can have them after just 10 minutes of airfrying though.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
still reeling from the guardian taking the time to specifically put an article and headline on their website downplaying the role of transphobia in her murder. why make that an entire article. why frame it like that. what are you doing. anyway looking forward to the next time a trans person says anything about her death and getting twenty terfs posting a screenshot of the headline

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

I’ve never heard of devils on horseback until we saw them while doing the Christmas food shop yesterday and apparently I’m not the only one. They sound loving vile TBH

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Went to Winter Wonderland and had a Big Yorkshire Pudding Wrap full of pork and mash. Good idea, that should be a common thing, but at half the price.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Festive Dawn Raid on Tesco done. Absolutely smashed it

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Feeling very mad at Stagecoach buses after getting to spend an extra 90 minutes in a wet & windy town because the bus I got on hadn't bothered to change the name on the front, so took me in the wrong direction from.

The worst company

Only buses that are worse are whatever the ones they use in Birmingham are. So shite I missed Stagecoach.

That said I do recall fuming one morning as I was like 40 minutes late for work already as five of the same loving Stagecoach route all drove up to the bus stop in a line.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Only buses that are worse are whatever the ones they use in Birmingham are. So shite I missed Stagecoach.

That said I do recall fuming one morning as I was like 40 minutes late for work already as five of the same loving Stagecoach route all drove up to the bus stop in a line.

The only positive is that by the time I got home all my raw anger & internal Karen had burned off & I was left with a grumbling irritation, rather than burning urge to write a letter of complaint demanding they refund me for my ice cream that melted.

Still bummed that I bought myself some Ben & Jerrys, £5.20 for the tub, as a Christmas season treat, & it was fully liquid when I finally did get home. No Karamel Sutra for me

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

forkboy84 posted:

The only positive is that by the time I got home all my raw anger & internal Karen had burned off & I was left with a grumbling irritation, rather than burning urge to write a letter of complaint demanding they refund me for my ice cream that melted.

Still bummed that I bought myself some Ben & Jerrys, £5.20 for the tub, as a Christmas season treat, & it was fully liquid when I finally did get home. No Karamel Sutra for me

Keep a teaspoon in your sporran for future reference so you can eat it before it melts.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
stolen from the osha thread:
https://i.imgur.com/4lcAh62.mp4

DreddyMatt
Nov 25, 2002
MY LACK OF KNOWLEDGE OF CURRENT EVENTS IS EXCEEDED ONLY BY MY UNQUENCHABLE THIRST FOR PISS. FUK U AMERIKKKA!!
Just drink it
Pint of sugar and cream, breakfast of champions

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DreddyMatt posted:

Just drink it
Pint of sugar and cream, breakfast of champions

I’m making eggnog today

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

sinky posted:

still a scab

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Tory hacks sowing Xmas 2019 - “ha ha! gently caress yes!”

Tory hacks reaping Xmas 2023 - “what the gently caress????”

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

Bobby Deluxe posted:

still a scab

How can a cat scab, when a cat will never do work?

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

sinky posted:

I met this cat at the Satanic Flea Market recently in London, where it was wearing a Cyberdog (Cybercat?) jumper. It’s a good cat.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

forkboy84 posted:

When I order pizza I get a tub of B&J, and its usually liquid too.
Baileys goes well into the cookies and cream version.

killerwhat posted:

I met this cat at the Satanic Flea Market recently in London, where it was wearing a Cyberdog (Cybercat?) jumper. It’s a good cat.

Sigrid the cat!
Would love to meet this cat.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Has anyone told her that spending £12 on curries might be why she can't afford a house?

I feel like every tory journalist 2008-2019 said that about avocado toast and uber eats and net flicks, so someone should follow her around saying that constantly.

I'd support a Keynesian work program where we pay people to follow them around saying that about everything they buy.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

killerwhat posted:

Oh I was also there and saw that cat hahaha

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

I'd support a Keynesian work program where we pay people to follow them around saying that about everything they buy.
Perhaps if she bought fewer bumps of coke and spectator garden parties, she could afford that house.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

If she made better lifestyle choices she'd be able to afford a home.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Both these things are possible when you don't live in the south east of England.

Flux Wildly
Dec 20, 2004

Welkum tü Zanydu!

Gill was trolling for ‘crime is now out of control’ stories on Islington Nextdoor. Wishing her a merry hackmas

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Love to read a hundred "I saw a youth on my ring doorbell, is this crime?" and "foreign lads are throwing carrots and peas around outside, Peter Soulsby is behind this!" posts as part of my serious criminology research.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Guavanaut posted:

Has anyone told her that spending £12 on curries might be why she can't afford a house?

You're gonna need 12 quid to make a curry from scratch anyway so I don't find this a valid criticism. (Sources: Me living it.) The only thing subsidising it is the fact I have a mountain of spices already, tinned plum toms etc
Not excusing who they are though, they're cunts.

Ordering takeaway all the time though is lol to your funds, cus it's going to be 20+ a pop even with discounting applied - can realistically, for this timeframe of inflation (lmao having to preface it because the prices wildly change so quickly now), squeeze 5-6 days worth of food shopping out of £20 for one person. That is though bare essentials, and usually goes over when topping up milk, butter or if I go buy a large tray of 20-30 eggs. It's hosed whichever way you look at it on a grander scale when you tie in the already strangulating rents. Propping up the landlords mortgages with overpriced garbage lets is what's keeping most out of the housing market. That and poo poo wage stagnation. The whole looting of everything by the top also doesn't help obviously. Can't wait to see our pensions siphoned to nothing.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Dec 21, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Guavanaut posted:

I feel like every tory journalist 2008-2019 said that about avocado toast and uber eats and net flicks, so someone should follow her around saying that constantly.

I took a brief gander and Gill is one of the slightly less poo poo ones. She's been very consistent at least in complaining about how sole home ownership is out of reach for her generation and wrote an article on the new trend of taking out joint mortgages with a friend saying that while it may have potential problems it's better than giving the money to landlords. It is of course all leavened with a healthy portion of "a sinister trend for students not to want to flat share with Tory Leave voters", as if not wanting to share a roof with a racist fascist moron is a bad thing, but she's close to actual self-awareness.

- Charlotte Gill writes for the Telegraph, the Guardian and the Daily Mail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jedit posted:

Charlotte Gill writes for the Telegraph, the Guardian and the Daily Mail.
Ah, so the posh tories, the wet tories and the spite tories. The three pillars of British journalism.