Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

checkplease posted:

Actual bad (maybe) opinions:
Variety’s top 20 horrors of the year

https://boxd.it/r0uUC

Number one: Skinamarink

Seems like an ok list to me, haven’t seen everything on it yet though. Skinamarink is my number one too. :colbert:

I haven’t seen Enys Men on many lists, are people not counting it for 2023? Or am I just the only one who loved it? As far as I know it wasn’t released in the US until like March

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

gey muckle mowser posted:

Seems like an ok list to me, haven’t seen everything on it yet though. Skinamarink is my number one too. :colbert:

I haven’t seen Enys Men on many lists, are people not counting it for 2023? Or am I just the only one who loved it? As far as I know it wasn’t released in the US until like March

Yeah I haven’t seen everything, and actually like many of their positions. But I just didn’t care for Skinamarink. Interesting idea though.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Baron von Eevl posted:

Actually I have it on good authority that they're better than bad, and in fact they're good.

You can have it for a snack and it fits on your back even!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
drat it I go and do stuff and then miss a great oppurtunity to fill the Lepers Colony with gore.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

drat it I go and do stuff and then miss a great oppurtunity to fill the Lepers Colony with gore.

Penis mutilation?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

MariusLecter posted:

Penis mutilation?

I use to have GIF of Carrie : The Rage 2 spear gun but I don't know what happened to it.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

checkplease posted:

A correct opinion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Basebf555 posted:

I think that's why it's good though. Spielberg did it completely earnestly so there's nothing forced about it. The movie allows you to have those thoughts and come to those conclusions on your own just like Spielberg had to over the years. The movie was made by a guy who really did have that level of wide-eyed enthusiasm for aliens, he was oblivious to the implications just like the main character was. HOLY poo poo ALIENS!!! overrode all of that in the moment.

There's no way you make that movie and without being aware of the implications. Young Spielberg just thought it would be cool to dodge helicopters with a hot single mom who, like, really understands you, y'know?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Let me spell it out for you: you were the first person in this discussion to use the word “bad” in reference to the writing, which undermines your entire position and makes your every post following it more pathetic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

lol

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
Just watched Thanksgiving.

The kills were great. Awesome effects with typical Eli Roth disgustingness. John Carver is appropriately overpowered and brutal. The theme was good. They should have hammed up the pilgrim axe more.

It hit all the plot beats. The literal chekov gun setup was pretty blatant and the oven kill seemed bound to happen. The Black Friday premise was a bit dated. Or maybe it's not, I don't know what big box shopping is like anymore but I feel like I don't hear about tramplings. Eli Roth tries really hard with his dialogue. Comes off as stilted when he tries to insert zoomer lingo. Could be tightened up by like 20 minutes. The final girl being chased like 5 times throughout the film kind of diminishes the killer.

Other than that it's a solid, entertaining film. I hope they make it a series and just go ridiculous. Have John Carver come back as a flaming pumpkinhead or something.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He’s doing another one and I’m here for it. I hope Eli Roth gets hit but drat he made something fun here

Thanksgiving will be something I watch every year now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Skinamarink is such a great story and a good win for indie horror and horror in general. I don’t like it but I respect it. Fine with the number 1

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

MariusLecter posted:

Only movie I know of with a blood cum shot.

Necromantik 2 opens with one.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

hahaha love that this thread has a handle on where all the good blood cumshots are

Stegosnaurlax
Apr 30, 2023

alf_pogs posted:

hahaha love that this thread has a handle on where all the good blood cumshots are

Topic contender

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

M_Sinistrari posted:

Necromantik 2 opens with one.

Nekromantik 1 closes with one also the reverse rabbit slaughter

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Glad Skinamarink is getting its year-end props.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat
Skinamarink is a very “in hindsight I like what it was doing, I appreciate how it did it, I did not at all enjoy watching it in the moment” kind of movie for me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Nikumatic posted:

Skinamarink is a very “in hindsight I like what it was doing, I appreciate how it did it, I did not at all enjoy watching it in the moment” kind of movie for me.

Yeah agree with all these takes. It was very cool that a weird movie like that was able to take off, but it was not an enjoyable experience (and not in the good way horror movies try to be).

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Was wondering why Skinamarink wasn't on my best-of list, then remembered I saw it last November and it's on my 2022 list :v:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Nikumatic posted:

Is that not the very definition of a horror movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jedit posted:

Is that not the very definition of a horror movie?

No? Why would it be lol

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

checkplease posted:

Actual bad (maybe) opinions:
Variety’s top 20 horrors of the year

https://boxd.it/r0uUC

Skinamarink is my number one movie to never watch again so they got it half right.

I'm surprised to see Brooklyn 45 on this (or anyone's) list tbh. I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun, tight little single-set movie but it didn't strike me as a crowd pleaser.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

No M3GAN, no Godzilla Minus One (the true best of 2023), but don't worry, plenty of room for Knock At The Cabin.

I don't think I like this list at all! :colbert:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

No M3GAN, no Godzilla Minus One (the true best of 2023), but don't worry, plenty of room for Knock At The Cabin.

I don't think I like this list at all! :colbert:

M3GAN got an honourable mention at least.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Levantine posted:

I'm surprised to see Brooklyn 45 on this (or anyone's) list tbh. I enjoyed it and thought it was a fun, tight little single-set movie but it didn't strike me as a crowd pleaser.

I couldn’t even finish that movie. The acting felt so stilted and I thought it got incredibly tedious

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

david_a posted:

I couldn’t even finish that movie. The acting felt so stilted and I thought it got incredibly tedious

Just goes to show how people have varying tastes. I LOVED Brooklyn 45 but checked out of Skinamarink. I appreciated what it was doing but it wasn't for me.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
Skinamarink isn't my personal favorite of the year, but I can appreciate Variety calling its shot on a divisive movie. When Evil Lurks at 3 is also a great call. Beau is Afraid is definitely wreaking havoc on anyone counting it as horror and trying to rank it against, like, Thanksgiving. And also glad to see Infinity Pool in the top 5, I think I was higher on that movie than a lot of people.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Comments on all of the list that I've seen:

1) Skinamarink - I loved this and the theater experience was maybe the best one I've ever had for a horror movie. Everyone was terrified and at the end we all just left in silence after slowly unclenching from our seats.
2) Talk to Me - It was fun, I enjoyed it
3) When Evil Lurks - This kicked rear end, I loved it. A possession movie that's also kind of about covid, right down to the grandma being like "eh it's fine, I'll start naming all these demons, it can't possibly affect me!"
4) Beau is Afraid - Loved it but I don't think it's a horror movie imho.
6) Evil Dead Rise - it was fine
11) Brooklyn 45 - Super fun, felt like an episode of the Twilight Zone or something
12) Scream 6 - Felt like a massive upgrade from Scream 5 imho, I really liked this one
14) Influencer - It was fun but I dunno if it's among my best of the year. I kinda forgot I saw this one until I saw it listed here again

Horror is maybe the most subjective genre of film so I can see why the opinions are all over the place here.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i have, actually. Susan Tyrell gives the most Grace Zabriskie performance that Grace Zabriskie never gave

I've seen this as NIGHT WARNING and drat near jumped out of my seat when I saw Susan Tyrell.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Scored free tickets to a screening of Night Swim on January third.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I'll probably give skinamarink and thanksgiving another chance at some point because I feel like there isn't any reason I should have disliked them as much as I did. skinamarink and thanksgiving both started off so strong.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Skinamarink was an amazing theatre experience, and I also deeply respect how unpleasant it is. The painted scenes (particularly the shot of the house in the void, which scared me in a bone-deep way), the adherence to lo-fi audio, and particularly the way the movie makes you understand how it feels for this kid to be tortured for eternity for no apparent reason (the bit with the blood splashing across the ceiling over and over also scared me in a way I haven't been scared in a long time - you can imagine what's happening to this child, even if you don't explicitly see it, and it'll never stop happening). It's distressing and tragic and it made me feel vaguely traumatized, which is really all I ask from a horror movie.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ambitious Spider posted:

Scored free tickets to a screening of Night Swim on January third.

Really excited for that.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Skinamarink was an amazing theatre experience, and I also deeply respect how unpleasant it is. The painted scenes (particularly the shot of the house in the void, which scared me in a bone-deep way)

Reminded me of the "cartoon world" aesthetic from "It's a Good Life" in TWILIGHT ZONE: THE MOVIE, great use of "Bimbo's Initiation" there too.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Megan belongs on the stinkers of the year list.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

dorium posted:

stinker because it's good poo poo maybe

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

I'm sorry if you can't appreciate Gerard Johnstone and his offbeat NZ humor mixed with campy satire from Akela Cooper and James Wan :shrug: Couldn't be me.

It's not like I'm out here trying to sing the praises of Cocaine Bear. I know that's a bad-fun B-Movie that probably shouldn't be on anyone else's list.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Megan should be in the Malignant-verse, a world where crazy poo poo constantly happens and there are things like abandoned insane asylums on cliffs and people build advanced robots in their free time at work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

dorium posted:

Talk To Me certainly does, not at number 2!