Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

minidracula posted:

Cabbages and Kings, you might be interested: inshallah, I have a BPMC Video Nasty on the way, to join my burgeoning stable of A/V monsters.

that looks awesome. I think someone is selling me a DSO3 plus a VU003b and VU007 for five fiddy shipped so there goes all my money for a while but now I have my eyes on this, too..

quote:

EDIT: Oh, and thanks again for the Behringer 2500 modules. All of them arrived and the process of finding case space/eurorack feng shui has begun.

Nice, enjoy. Remember, if you're out of rack space just cobble more together with wood from your basement :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Nice, enjoy. Remember, if you're out of rack space just cobble more together with wood from your basement :laugh:

:sigh:

Leaning Tower Of bArpisa

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

Absolutely batshit synth solo by jazz pianist Hiromi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnISpahN2dM&t=365s

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

thpook posted:

I have 2 nunomos, they are quite intuitive once you get it.
The developer is very active on the discord, and he just started a new series of tutorials. If you haven't, go to the github and download the sd image, it has a bunch of preset sounds, and the manual is available there too.

I'm glad you're enjoying it. Unfortunately, I'm finding it cumbersome and opaque. I'm really baffled by the choice to go with a fixed value knob over an endless, clickable encoder. Changing one parameter knocks others out when you switch to them and I'm finding that to be frustrating and irritating. The menu system is very idiosyncratic and, while I'm sure its learnable, is needlessly convoluted. Virtually everything is a shift button combination, even things that really don't need to be. Its an impressive device for a single dev to put together but I feel like he really should have teamed up with some other folks to work on UI design. It might just not be for me.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Anybody on the https://www.synthux.academy/ train? Really interesting project. I hope it has legs.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
Re: nunomo
When the hell did this no-chassis movement start and what can we do to kill it

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Blame those eurorack nerds!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

xzzy posted:

Blame those eurorack nerds!

we have the biggest chassis in the industry

i'm all about the CASE about the CASE about the CASE no modules

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

I prefer the '$75,000 closet' approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

toadee posted:

I prefer the '$75,000 closet' approach https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbLt0S0W5jE

$75,000 closet and he's still using a tracker, absolute king.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
I want to add a controller with a bunch of pads to my rig, specifically to send midi PC change messages to my MC707 to change clips. The Launchpad Mini would do the trick, but there is only USB midi output and I’d need a midi host box to use it. Amazon has some no-name Chinese pad controllers with a midi out (trs, but whatever) that seem like they’re programmable to do what I want. Anybody use one of those?

tylertfb fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 20, 2023

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

tylertfb posted:

I want to add a controller with a bunch of pads to my rig, specifically to send midi PC change messages to my MC707 to change clips. The Launchpad Mini would do the trick, but there is only USB midi output and I’d need a midi host box to use it. Amazon has some no-name Chinese ones with a midi out (trs, but whatever) that seem like they’re programmable to do what I want. Anybody use one of those?

https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ like this?

I've used this exact one. It's not programmable, and I don't think it needs to be because it's just passing whatever MIDI data goes through it from the device to TRS. I can't remember if I ever sent PC data this way specifically and I know in some device-specific cases there can be fuckiness around PC but I think that's more just "some devices don't respond to PC or send it as you'd expect", nothing to do with the actual traffic.

So, yea, it works fine, I've used this to use a Beatstep to control a 0coast over midi or kiddo's blipblox or whatever.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

https://www.amazon.com/CAMOLA-MIDI-Host-Interface-Converter/dp/B08MZY59B7/ like this?

I've used this exact one. It's not programmable, and I don't think it needs to be because it's just passing whatever MIDI data goes through it from the device to TRS. I can't remember if I ever sent PC data this way specifically and I know in some device-specific cases there can be fuckiness around PC but I think that's more just "some devices don't respond to PC or send it as you'd expect", nothing to do with the actual traffic.

So, yea, it works fine, I've used this to use a Beatstep to control a 0coast over midi or kiddo's blipblox or whatever.

Ah what I wrote was ambiguous, I mean the noname pad controllers, like this one:

https://www.gear4music.com/us/en/Recording-and-Computers/SubZero-ControlPad64-MIDI-Pad-Controller/2YEH

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Cool thread everybody.

Does anyone know of a way to modulate the scale of either Oscillator on the MS-20 mini? I want OSC 1 to rapidly switch back and forth between 32' and 16'. Doing this manually with the Scale pot and staying in time is really challenging. Is there a way I can automate this with the modulation panel? I have a few other synths I could send CV from if necessary

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Big Bizness posted:

Cool thread everybody.

Does anyone know of a way to modulate the scale of either Oscillator on the MS-20 mini? I want OSC 1 to rapidly switch back and forth between 32' and 16'. Doing this manually with the Scale pot and staying in time is really challenging. Is there a way I can automate this with the modulation panel? I have a few other synths I could send CV from if necessary

my only MS-20 is a vst on my ipad. What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you playing a pattern in from some other source, and you also want the octave to change at some clock rate that's not necessarily related to the speed of the underlaying sequence? That's the first mental use case I came up with for wanting to do things this way, vs just sending a sequence of notes which jump around octaves wherever you want. Or, are you playing the keybed with one hand and twisting knobs with the other? If so you have keyboard skills I never will.

From mucking with the VST it seems like whatever CV is being fed into TOTAL for osc1, gets added to whatever key I am pressing or sequence I'm sending. I hosed with this just by patching MS20's own LFO in to total. If the range on that LFO is broad enough you might be able to do this all onboard, uh:
* patch modulation source output, into sample & hold
* patch a clock source (you'll need something external, I believe) that's hitting whenever you want the OSC to switch into the sample & hold clock
* sample & hold out patched to TOTAL
* gently caress with the LFO envelope and rate until it's doing what you want

since the LFO doesn't have a reset, that's going to be kind of fucky, I think.

the better solution is to use some external CV sequencer to send a consistent CV value into total that changes at the points in time you want it to. A beatstep or keystep or anything like that would do that. You will have to play with note/voltage values to see what has the desired effect, or, maybe that's spec'd out in the lengthy 10point font manual I am not going to look at any further. If it's not spelled out, that manual is even more of a war crime than I already believe it to be.

e: by "manual" I mean the combination of the original MS20 manual, and the 5 page supplement about MS20 midi functionality that has a bunch of ???? and represents Korg's best efforts at providing reasonable documentation to a relatively expensive thing :allears:

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Dec 21, 2023

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
CK mostly has it. Since the MS-20 generally tracks Hz/V instead of V/Oct most methods won't scale properly, BUT the Total In jack is V/Oct.

Plug into that, and calibrate the MG/T.EXT knob very carefully with a source you know can go from exactly 0 and 1V. Hit the bottom C on the MS-20's keyboard before you do this to zero out its voltage.

I've been able to track about two, maybe 2.5 octaves this way, although I don't remember the precise setting. You won't have to nail it quite that far to go from 32' to 16', though.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

my only MS-20 is a vst on my ipad. What exactly are you trying to do?

Are you playing a pattern in from some other source, and you also want the octave to change at some clock rate that's not necessarily related to the speed of the underlaying sequence? That's the first mental use case I came up with for wanting to do things this way, vs just sending a sequence of notes which jump around octaves wherever you want. Or, are you playing the keybed with one hand and twisting knobs with the other? If so you have keyboard skills I never will.

From mucking with the VST it seems like whatever CV is being fed into TOTAL for osc1, gets added to whatever key I am pressing or sequence I'm sending. I hosed with this just by patching MS20's own LFO in to total. If the range on that LFO is broad enough you might be able to do this all onboard, uh:
* patch modulation source output, into sample & hold
* patch a clock source (you'll need something external, I believe) that's hitting whenever you want the OSC to switch into the sample & hold clock
* sample & hold out patched to TOTAL
* gently caress with the LFO envelope and rate until it's doing what you want

since the LFO doesn't have a reset, that's going to be kind of fucky, I think.

the better solution is to use some external CV sequencer to send a consistent CV value into total that changes at the points in time you want it to. A beatstep or keystep or anything like that would do that. You will have to play with note/voltage values to see what has the desired effect, or, maybe that's spec'd out in the lengthy 10point font manual I am not going to look at any further. If it's not spelled out, that manual is even more of a war crime than I already believe it to be.

e: by "manual" I mean the combination of the original MS20 manual, and the 5 page supplement about MS20 midi functionality that has a bunch of ???? and represents Korg's best efforts at providing reasonable documentation to a relatively expensive thing :allears:

Thank you for your detailed response. Yes, basically I am trying to have the first oscillator jumping between two octaves in a rhythm independent of the sequence being played by my DAW. Trying to accomplish this with octave jumping notes inside the DAW's piano roll isn't quite the same effect because the MS20m is retriggering the EG2 each time that way.

Here is a little video, manually demonstrating what I'm trying to achieve with automation. Make sure to unmute the clip, its muted by default for some reason:
https://imgur.com/xAVewWo

And here's one with me trying out your patch. It didn't get quite what I was aiming for, but it's really cool regardless :)
https://imgur.com/Dk2ZMIX

My Bass Station 2 is able to accomplish this with MIDI / CC data and it can create some really mind bending sounds, so just trying to figure out a way to do it with the Korg basically!

Tayter Swift posted:

CK mostly has it. Since the MS-20 generally tracks Hz/V instead of V/Oct most methods won't scale properly, BUT the Total In jack is V/Oct.

Plug into that, and calibrate the MG/T.EXT knob very carefully with a source you know can go from exactly 0 and 1V. Hit the bottom C on the MS-20's keyboard before you do this to zero out its voltage.

I've been able to track about two, maybe 2.5 octaves this way, although I don't remember the precise setting. You won't have to nail it quite that far to go from 32' to 16', though.

I will try your extra steps tomorrow, saw your post after I recorded the clips and shut everything down for the night. Thanks again guys.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I grabbed a used Push 2 today. What's a piano roll?

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Papa Was A Video Toaster posted:

I grabbed a used Push 2 today. What's a piano roll?

It's what you get if you don't have a pipe, or rolling skills yourself.

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

:2bong:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Piano rolls are pretty small, by definition.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Picking up my microfreak after work today. Anybody have any resources for deep diving this hardware? Fun patch hacks, wavetable shenanigans, whatever

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Picking up my microfreak after work today. Anybody have any resources for deep diving this hardware? Fun patch hacks, wavetable shenanigans, whatever

Only a quick pointer that the microphone gain is set super low by default. If you have trouble getting the vocoder working, have a dive in the settings.
Also, thinking of whenever Plaits is mentioned, I think " I don't need Plaits, I've got Plaits at home." While picturing the microfreak in my mind.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
That sounds extremely helpful thanks!

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrtSb11JCJM

More nonsense. I need to clean up my audio recording here -- lol that after figuring out how to get great recording on my Ableton PC I am not using a 2nd dac to a 2nd PC just to combine video streams in OBS with audio. I think I will be able to clean it up because the iPad using the same DAC (zedi8USB native out) works fine.

This was my first experiment in trying to use a pitch CV to control an audio voice and then also mult and trim into LZX range to influence what mainbow is doing. We're hitting some things with the drum audio, as well, and maybe there's some other poo poo going on, I think the envelopes that are hitting the VCA for the e352, are, likewise, being multed into CV influence for a quadVCA that's now mainbow-dedicated.

I have so much more money to spend. I was looking for an HDMI+BCP mixer today and I noticed that BHPhoto inexplicably has Roland V4-EX in stock for $695 (which is $800 off) and people are telling me that's not a normal price. It's also not money I want to spend on another mixer right now and I bet I'll be kicking myself in the dick for saying that in six months when I have $800 in hand and can't find a used one for that :laugh:

(The problems I am trying to solve at this point are mixing video in and out of mainbow and other things, from disparate composite and HDMI sources, without running into sync issues that make the projector bluescreen).

moonshine is......
Feb 21, 2007

Arms_Akimbo posted:

You’re going to want some effects. For me the microfreak sounds brittle without them.

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
Yeah Im thinking of picking up an nts-1 for a quick and dirty fx solution. I can always run it through an Ableton rack too

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
nts1 is so good for its price, both as fx and a synth. someone ported the roland aira compact j6 chords to the nts1 and its one of my most used instruments

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just be extremely gentle with the headphone jack (and presumably the other jacks). The only thing holding it on are the five tiny surface mount solder points. After the jack broke on my second one I just soldered an extra headphone jack in the to the provided extra output points with proper strain relief.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Arms_Akimbo posted:

Yeah Im thinking of picking up an nts-1 for a quick and dirty fx solution. I can always run it through an Ableton rack too

For a few bucks more you can get one of those Zoom MS-70CDR pedals that all the synthtubers use. You can stack like 6 effects in any order and it sounds pretty good

CatBlack posted:

nts1 is so good for its price, both as fx and a synth. someone ported the roland aira compact j6 chords to the nts1 and its one of my most used instruments

I just picked one up today on a lark since I was down by Control Voltage anyway and it is indeed pretty cool. Not as many user-made effects and oscillators as I would have hoped but the ones that are out there are mostly good. I probably wouldn't use it as a primary effects box since I already have a shitload of euro effects and stomp boxes but the reverbs and delays are nice sounding. Its really surprising how good something this cheap sounds. That little keyboard is unusable though, just terrible. You def need a controller if you want to use it as a synth.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

800peepee51doodoo posted:

For a few bucks more you can get one of those Zoom MS-70CDR pedals that all the synthtubers use. You can stack like 6 effects in any order and it sounds pretty good

I just picked one up today on a lark since I was down by Control Voltage anyway and it is indeed pretty cool. Not as many user-made effects and oscillators as I would have hoped but the ones that are out there are mostly good. I probably wouldn't use it as a primary effects box since I already have a shitload of euro effects and stomp boxes but the reverbs and delays are nice sounding. Its really surprising how good something this cheap sounds. That little keyboard is unusable though, just terrible. You def need a controller if you want to use it as a synth.

Of note, the trs midi jack is the same standard as what's used on the launchkey mini. I can just use a few regular aux cables and USB power, and have it plugged into the aux input in the car, and then the kid can jam out in the back seat, easy peasy, takes hardly any space.

The only way I've used the ribbon is with the end of a cable as a stylus, and only hit one key occasionally to change up the arp.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world
i have my nts1 in my eurorack and basically just use the ribbon to preview sounds

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Just received the woovebox today. I've messed with it for about an hour and a half and am already laying down loops with multiple voices, drums, effects, etc. Its surprisingly very easy to use considering the size and layout and sounds pretty good. The UI is very well thought out and even after a short period of time I'm able navigate it pretty quickly. It has a battery so its legit portable. The clicky pocket operator style buttons are nice and the clickable encoder feels pretty good. It has a chord follow mode which is on by default that limits what notes you can pick, eg on your bass track, so that it matches your chords. You can turn this off, of course, but its pretty helpful for getting ideas down quickly.

Nothing is perfect though and there are some relatively minor complaints. It doesn't take storage media so you're limited to the built in storage which is usable but not massive. The screen is a seven segment display which is cool looking but will require memorization to really use effectively since a lot of the parameters are displayed as abbreviations. There are "write" and "play" buttons that are capacitive touch pads and not the most responsive. One of the more annoying and baffling design decisions is that, while it has TRS MIDI out jack, it doesn't have a MIDI in jack so you can't plug in a controller or send MIDI into it from a DAW. It does have MIDI in via wireless BLE. I've never used wireless MIDI but I'm sure it means buying more poo poo and loving around with drivers. I'm not sure what the reasoning was behind this choice but it seems very likely that it sucks. I'm hoping it isn't a big deal. The last weird thing is that you have to use the proprietary website for a lot of functions, including exporting stems. Its cool that it lets you export stems, it is less cool that you have to rely on this website being functional and accessible to do it.

Minor complaints aside, this is a very cool little pocket groovebox. It has a shitload of features. I haven't even gotten into sound design or the sampler. It can record multisamples and resample the internal synthesizer. It has a song mode and multiple tracks and chainable patterns for each instrument. Its kinda nuts.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

10% off most stuff at Detroit Modular.

I would have bought an ESG3 along with this, but my slush fund has like $90 left after doing this :allears:

I believe I can patch from mainbow into this and then back into mainbow, during the roughly one week that I expect to own this and not also own an ESG3....

I feel like a twisty hallway is opening in front of me but every possible path is a money pit

edit: got the ESG3 as well, I found a rock of gold hidden in my sock drawer. Demo videos in a week or two

Cabbages and VHS fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 25, 2023

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.
Recorded a jam for Xmas eve. Drums and samples from the MC707, chord sounds are from the model:cycles run through the filter on the TD-3, pattern sequenced. Recorded live in one take

https://on.soundcloud.com/ja4kb5twt2E4aCQPA

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

tylertfb posted:

Recorded a jam for Xmas eve. Drums and samples from the MC707, chord sounds are from the model:cycles run through the filter on the TD-3, pattern sequenced. Recorded live in one take

https://on.soundcloud.com/ja4kb5twt2E4aCQPA

Great track.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

I really think I may get 2 more mainbows and then rabbit-ear-3-tier rack them the way people do Neutrons and the DFAM trifecta.

It seems hilarious, as far as I can tell it hasn't been done, and 2 more mainbows is the same cost as a single LZX3 osc module.

I know someone else in this thread just got a mainbow, are you having fun yet??

Boody
Aug 15, 2001

I really think I may get 2 more mainbows and then rabbit-ear-3-tier rack them the way people do Neutrons and the DFAM trifecta.

It seems hilarious, as far as I can tell it hasn't been done, and 2 more mainbows is the same cost as a single LZX3 osc module.

I know someone else in this thread just got a mainbow, are you having fun yet??

I picked one up, would like to pick more up but got hit heavily for customs.

Haven't really had a chance to do a deep dive but did have some fun with the mainbow and some t420's I'd picked up earlier this year.

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
Audio required.

That time I found the Sunn O))) setting on my Moffenzeef drone synth.

https://i.imgur.com/e8IFmNw.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe
I always wondered about that name.

quote:

The Nazis used jamming stations to try to block the reception of Radio Orange and the BBC. A "moffenzeef" (dutch) or 'kraut sieve' was a home-made indoor antenna intended to reduce the effect of Nazi jamming stations.