Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Velvet is great but I also think that outfit but intact would look amazing. I am disappointed primarily in that perfection is almost within reach but never grasped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
Her outfit is fine as is

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Caphi posted:

I'm sorry, I just wanted to say I think it's weird that every other Tales makes jokes about characters not wearing jackets when one of the most defining ones went out of its way to give them jackets.

(You can actually buy winter jackets in Berseria. It's a bonus thing that has nothing to do with anything and is never mentioned.)

I'm trying to think of the sickest but shortest-lived fit in rpgs. There's definitely at least one.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you dont think astral chain counts as an rpg im going to kick your rear end

Imma finally try to beat this soon..

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Snooze Cruise posted:

ok i started playing Soulestination because I been meaning to dive into Tactical Nexus next year and it seem like a good prelude.

2 hours in and having fun. Def worth more than the 1.19 it is currently going for on steam due to the sale. Looks like it does a lot of nifty stuff the deeper you go in.

Yeah, I'd say Soulestination tries to be more of a standard RPG, Tactical Nexus is allllllll mechanics sicko mode poo poo. They're both great imo but unless you're ready to treat a full dungeon like a mechanical puzzle box and optimize to solve it, maybe do Soulestination instead of TN.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

me sideeying velvets outfit

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Imma finally try to beat this soon..

the finale goes insane, it rules

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

disposablewords posted:

Velvet is great but I also think that outfit but intact would look amazing. I am disappointed primarily in that perfection is almost within reach but never grasped.

The feral werewolf lady in tattered clothes is better actually.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The feral werewolf lady in tattered clothes is better actually.

Yeah, I think the outfit being all shredded up and haphazardly patched together is an integral part of the design and it's a really neat way to sum up Velvet's character in a stark and obvious way.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I thought there was a version of Velvet's default outfit that wasn't tattered, or am I thinking of something else?

edit: huh I don't see it, my brain invented something again

edit 2: oh right, that was a mod, n/m

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 21, 2023

Nick Buntline
Dec 20, 2007
Doesn't know the impossible.

claw game handjob posted:

Yeah, I'd say Soulestination tries to be more of a standard RPG, Tactical Nexus is allllllll mechanics sicko mode poo poo. They're both great imo but unless you're ready to treat a full dungeon like a mechanical puzzle box and optimize to solve it, maybe do Soulestination instead of TN.

honest question am I just completely approaching Soulestination wrong because I tried it out and couldn't even get to the first gold key in the prologue - granted this was on hard but AFAICT from the description the only difference that would cause this early on is potion value, and it feels like I'm falling way too short for some extra HP to be the solution

like I don't think I'm terrible at this sort of routing but I seem to have just hit a wall immediately

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
i would not change a single thing about velvet

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Phantasium posted:

I thought there was a version of Velvet's default outfit that wasn't tattered, or am I thinking of something else?

edit: huh I don't see it, my brain invented something again

edit 2: oh right, that was a mod, n/m

that mod had a bizarre note about fixing her clothes "so she doesn't look like she got raped"

HellOnEarth
Nov 7, 2005

Now that's good jerky!
I liked the intact outfit a lot. I thought it was a cool look when it wasn’t in shreds. I found it a little busy otherwise.

That and a man screamed in my face in real life when I mentioned it once, so it’s a little bit spite as well.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

claw game handjob posted:

honestly tn is such a weird game that I just gave up a long time ago trying to figure out what sort of person to recommend it too. super unique and intricate puzzle rpg experience. spent 500 hours on it in 2022 and I have no regrets but also it kind of feels like a fever dream

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Edit: Im too tired I dont think this made sense

Barudak fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Dec 21, 2023

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The Tactical Nexus developers also have the greatest Twitter presence in the history of video games,

https://nitter.net/search?f=tweets&q=TeamNexus12

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

The Colonel posted:

that mod had a bizarre note about fixing her clothes "so she doesn't look like she got raped"

real normal right there

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

mycot posted:

I'm trying to think of the sickest but shortest-lived fit in rpgs. There's definitely at least one.

probably something from Resonance of Fate. I took every chance I got to buy new clothing and switched all my poo poo every few battles

the fashion standard set by RoF is insane. every other single-player RPG is playing catch-up, if they are even playing at all.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

talking about berseria just makes me feel the need to mention once again that WILL YOU QUIT WHINING gave me one of the finest emotional hits I have experienced in gaming

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

mycot posted:

Saejimas santa outfit in yakuza 5

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Feels Villeneuve posted:

if you dont think astral chain counts as an rpg im going to kick your rear end

I don’t think it counts as good :twisted:

e: someone did this exact joke already!! shoot!!!

Erg fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 21, 2023

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

mycot posted:

I was sad that while you do get to keep the Mardi Gras outfits for the Hero and Sylvando in DQ11 there's no way to keep or reacquire the clown outfits Rab and Hendrik get for the parade march.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
it was very disappointing because if i had my way hendrick would have wore that clown outfit the rest of the game

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

mycot posted:

The protags alt outfit in Suikoden 5

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

mycot posted:

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

I miss the golf bag of swords

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Literally the only time a Garlean military uniform has looked good

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

mycot posted:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

This peak will never be re-attained.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Poppers posted:

Wots a good action rpg on switch. I have begrudgingly accepted they won't port phantasy star 1

Xenoblade 1-3

The 4(?) Zelda games released on the console.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The protagonist's 'main' outfit. It's fine, pretty flashy and distinctive.

The disguise outfit, which I just think looks way cooler. It obviously evokes Tir McDohl but I just think it looks cooler.

He has two other outfits too but I like his 'disguise' one the most.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ImpAtom posted:

The disguise outfit, which I just think looks way cooler. It obviously evokes Tir McDohl but I just think it looks cooler.

It kinda sucks that Suikoden 5 has a NG+ mode and that mode doesn't replace the prince's stupid default outfit with his not-Tir-McDohl one. Or the knight outfit, or his regular royal clothing... The outfit he wears for the majority of the game is honestly the worst one out of all the ones he wears.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think they made the right choice

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
I thought it was cool that you could see the line of progression on Velvet's hair from the tight braid as a villager to the unkempt mess it becomes.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

mycot posted:

ImpAtom posted:

I think this has to go to Freyjadour's Royal Commander outfit, as you see it for like ten seconds of a single cutscene in the true ending of the game, and it fuckin rips

EDIT: Sialeeds' disguise also rips

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Evil Fluffy posted:

Xenoblade 1-3

The 4(?) Zelda games released on the console.

Xenoblade is an action rpg?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not turn based so by default....

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I guess XB2 lets you hit A in time with the attacks to reduce cooldown or whatever I think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I wouldn't really consider an auto-attack system "action" but I guess it's up to your own tastes