Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

so if not Ubiquiti/Unifi, what’s the hotness for in-wall APs and PoE switches and stuff?
TP-Link Omada is what I went with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

infernal machines posted:

they're already building their products in such a way that you're guided repeatedly to set up cloud credentials for everything and local-only options are hidden. it's still possible to do local accounts, but they're doing their best to become meraki

that's everything anymore, as long as they don't prohibit local setup entirely i can click "cancel" a whole bunch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

oh, nice. still need to figure out my 2.5GbE story for the office, but maybe that room is different

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

signing up for delta's frequent flyer program, password requirements are:

quote:

MUST CONTAIN
8-20 characters
1 number
1 uppercase and 1 lowercase letter

CANNOT CONTAIN
The "@" or "<" symbols
Your SkyMiles number, email or username
More than 3 special characters

the system simply cannot handle more than 3 special characters at once, it's too complicated

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Subjunctive posted:

so if not Ubiquiti/Unifi, what’s the hotness for in-wall APs and PoE switches and stuff?

Once i grown tired of unifi bullshit, i moved to zyxel nebulaflex. If you feel that the government is watching you you can run them standalone, otherwise you can run them on cloud-based management.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Shame Boy posted:

signing up for delta's frequent flyer program, password requirements are:

the system simply cannot handle more than 3 special characters at once, it's too complicated

Guarantee this was from getting too many password reset support tickets because olds

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

"Omada Cloud Software Defined Networking (SDN)"

very promising

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

SlowBloke posted:

Once i grown tired of unifi bullshit, i moved to zyxel nebulaflex. If you feel that the government is watching you you can run them standalone, otherwise you can run them on cloud-based management.

what's poe's law for technology companies

shackleford
Sep 4, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

Subjunctive posted:

the UniFi in-wall APs that are also 3-port switches (one with PoE pass through) have been so handy for getting good coverage in the house and not having to stash little switches in various rooms, but I don’t see anyone else who makes them, least of all with 6E/2.5GbE

I guess I just live with it for another few years until someone attacks Ubiquiti by not having the cloud bullshit (until their number has to go up)

i have a couple of these but they're Wi-Fi 6 / 1GbE devices with a mediatek chipset

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-sdn-access-point/eap615-wall/

the EAP615-Wall is supported by OpenWRT and trivial to re-flash if you're into that sort of thing.

they also have a thicker unit with a qualcomm chipset, but still Wi-Fi 6 / 1GbE

https://www.tp-link.com/us/business-networking/omada-wifi-wall-plate/eap655-wall/

personally i'd skip Wi-Fi 6E and wait for Wi-Fi 7. apparently there are products that use mediatek's Wi-Fi 7 SoC in the pipeline.

for 2.5 GbE PoE i have a VLAN-capable netgear MS108EUP which is kind of nice for feeding a few APs.

if i needed a lot of 1 GbE PoE ports in a rackmount form factor i'd get a refurbished EOL cisco switch from Network Tigers for like a couple hundred bucks. but i also don't mind janitoring the cisco IOS CLI (as long as it's a real cisco catalyst switch and not the garbage cisco "small business" switches). i have a couple of 3560's on UPS/generator power with 5 years of uptime.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Volmarias posted:

Guarantee this was from getting too many password reset support tickets because olds

definitely, but it's still a kinda a silly choice since they don't require special characters at all, so why not just say no special characters if you're already compromising that much for old people?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

just do what facebook did and ignore capital letters

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-67663128

quote:

Despite having his laptop confiscated, Kurtaj managed to breach Rockstar, the company behind GTA, using an Amazon Firestick, his hotel TV and a mobile phone.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

quote:

He will remain at a secure hospital for life unless doctors deem him no longer a danger.

good lord

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
what a hero and also what the gently caress isn't that a bit harsh for some trailer leaks

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Truga posted:

what a hero and also what the gently caress isn't that a bit harsh for some trailer leaks

but he has autism you see, his autism is what makes him do crimes

e: ok to be fair it prolly has something more to do with this bit:

quote:

The court heard that Kurtaj had been violent while in custody with dozens of reports of injury or property damage.

Doctors deemed Kurtaj unfit to stand trial due to his acute autism so the jury was asked to determine whether or not he committed the alleged acts - not if he did so with criminal intent.

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Dec 21, 2023

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i also really love that the BBC calls the hacker group a "gang"

quote:

Arion Kurtaj from Oxford, who has autism, was a key member of international gang Lapsus$.

The gang's attacks on tech giants including Uber, Nvidia and Rockstar Games cost the firms nearly $10m.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
more like grand theft autist

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

meanwhile his bud who's more neurotypical and a year younger gets 18 months of supervision and a stern warning to... not use VPN's

quote:

Another Lapsus$ member, who is 17 and cannot be named because of his age, was found guilty in the same trial, which lasted six weeks at Southwark Crown Court.

He worked with Kurtaj and other members of Lapsus$ to hack tech giant Nvidia and phone company BT/EE and steal data before demanding a four million dollar ransom, which was not paid.

They also stole directly from individuals through their cryptocurrency wallets.

The 17-year-old was sentenced to an 18 month long Youth Rehabilitation Order, including intense supervision and a ban on using VPNs online.

As well as hacking offences the boy was sentenced for what the judge described as "unpleasant and frightening pattern of stalking and harassment" of two young women.

kinda surprised creeping on girls doesn't come up as a side offense more often in these kindsa teenage hacker cases considering, y'know, teenagers in general

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

quote:

Despite having his laptop confiscated, Kurtaj managed to breach Rockstar, the company behind GTA, using an Amazon Firestick, his hotel TV and a mobile phone.

:dafuq:

Is it that he did the whole thing on his mobile and just cast to the TV to have a nice screen? Or were these components actually important somehow, in a Macguyver like fashion?

Shame Boy posted:

meanwhile his bud who's more neurotypical and a year younger gets 18 months of supervision and a stern warning to... not use VPN's

kinda surprised creeping on girls doesn't come up as a side offense more often in these kindsa teenage hacker cases considering, y'know, teenagers in general

Yeah, it's also great that a pattern of stalking is just considered an add-on here instead of a reason for serious concern

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
use the fire stick as a computer, use the phone for a wifi hotspot, makes sense to me

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Shame Boy posted:

yes, because autistic people have never been known to act irrationally when placed in foreign situations
and since he's autistic, he's definitely going to commit future crimes, so let's also ensure he can't do that by putting him away quite literally forever

do also remember that since it's at the hospitals discretion, a doctor can decide that he can't be permitted to see his family, and they will have no recourse
he might genuinely never see daylight again, but that's okay because he hurt a poor defenseless corporation

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

to be fair they say it's "acute autism" so they can probably just wait for it to get better

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

remember when kevin mitnick couldn't be permitted to use a phone?

yeah, this is that, but worse

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

it would’ve been better if kevin had continued to not use a phone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

yes, because autistic people have never been known to act irrationally when placed in foreign situations
and since he's autistic, he's definitely going to commit future crimes, so let's also ensure he can't do that by putting him away quite literally forever

do also remember that since it's at the hospitals discretion, a doctor can decide that he can't be permitted to see his family, and they will have no recourse
he might genuinely never see daylight again, but that's okay because he hurt a poor defenseless corporation

i feel like they need to show their homework on this claim:

quote:

A mental health assessment used as part of the sentencing hearing said he "continued to express the intent to return to cyber-crime as soon as possible. He is highly motivated."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're really making him out to be some detective comics villain. like, literally, "an insane criminal genius"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Midjack posted:

i feel like they need to show their homework on this claim:

i mean he did do more hacking while out on bail for hacking charges and courts will generally take "is still doing crimes while on trial for crimes" as a clear example that you don't wanna stop doing crimes

i do think this is all dumb bullshit for the record, just in case anyone thinks otherwise

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
meant to hit the arrow to get the menu with "Search web" to see what kinda price those go
for, but hit "Translate" instead:

thanks timb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shame Boy posted:

definitely, but it's still a kinda a silly choice since they don't require special characters at all, so why not just say no special characters if you're already compromising that much for old people?

might reduce password reuse from sites that require more than 3, but I doubt there are many of those

shackleford posted:

personally i'd skip Wi-Fi 6E and wait for Wi-Fi 7. apparently there are products that use mediatek's Wi-Fi 7 SoC in the pipeline.

for 2.5 GbE PoE i have a VLAN-capable netgear MS108EUP which is kind of nice for feeding a few APs.

interesting about wifi 7! is that going to be backwards compatible, in that Wifi 6E devices will get 6E performance, or will the get whatever they’re getting now? I am quite interested in 6E for streaming to my Steam Deck

the thing I love about the UniFi in-walls is that they’re also switches so I get a few extra ports for things, but those need to be 2.5GbE for it to matter to the stuff in the office. maybe I stick the AP in the ceiling on its own run, and just use a normal switch in the office

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

justice for darius mccollum

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Dear Dpkg,

Your gift card has been sent!

We have sent you a gift card as we appreciate your dedication, achievements and professionalism. Please expect delivery anytime soon.

To track your package, please click the link below.
Click Here

Your contribution is valued and appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

$CEO_FullName

Dear readers, it was not a phishing email and a gift card did indeed arrive.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
indefinite detention in a mental hospital is a terrible and inhumane punishment for any crime. we don’t have to pretend these dudes are good people, though. they were hacking phone companies and demanding huge ransoms, they’re not exactly white hats. and the younger guy seems to be a real piece of poo poo

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

yeah, this is a grotesque sentence even for the sleaziest criminal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

might reduce password reuse from sites that require more than 3, but I doubt there are many of those

interesting about wifi 7! is that going to be backwards compatible, in that Wifi 6E devices will get 6E performance, or will the get whatever they’re getting now? I am quite interested in 6E for streaming to my Steam Deck

the thing I love about the UniFi in-walls is that they’re also switches so I get a few extra ports for things, but those need to be 2.5GbE for it to matter to the stuff in the office. maybe I stick the AP in the ceiling on its own run, and just use a normal switch in the office

honestly, just get the ubiquity gear and face to ubnt.

you can still do the local only installs and host your own unifi controller instance not connected to cloud services, and by the time that's no longer supported you'll probably be ready to replace the gear anyway.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

rjmccall posted:

indefinite detention in a mental hospital is a terrible and inhumane punishment for any crime. we don’t have to pretend these dudes are good people, though. they were hacking phone companies and demanding huge ransoms, they’re not exactly white hats. and the younger guy seems to be a real piece of poo poo
He needs help, which there are places that can give him.

That's probably not what he's going to get by an indefinite court-ordered hospital detention.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, this is a grotesque sentence even for the sleaziest criminal

It's really "funny" to see someone use the soviet "you are clearly mad" justification for disappearing someone forever, except it was not for threatening the regime but for mildly annoying a bad company

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

He needs help, which there are places that can give him.

That's probably not what he's going to get by an indefinite court-ordered hospital detention.

not disagreeing with this at all

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

SIGSEGV posted:

It's really "funny" to see someone use the soviet "you are clearly mad" justification for disappearing someone forever, except it was not for threatening the regime but for mildly annoying a bad company

again, they hacked phone companies and ransomed their user data. video games just make for better headlines

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

infernal machines posted:

honestly, just get the ubiquity gear and face to ubnt.

you can still do the local only installs and host your own unifi controller instance not connected to cloud services, and by the time that's no longer supported you'll probably be ready to replace the gear anyway.

yeah I host my own controller now, but I need to upgrade the container and I don’t want to lose my config so it’s just sitting there

I guess I’ll see what the wifi7 offerings look like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

you probably know this already, but you can export the config via the web ui and it works for a restore via a new install. they've moved the option a couple times in the last few releases but it's still there.