Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Dude, you do know that goon who were talking about pretzels sticks were just joking right?

You guys are not using those stupid sip valve to actually eat while wearing your masks on right??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

at the airport and this dude is absolutely hacking up his lung every twenty seconds

aura don't fail me now :blessed:

Aura is very very good, sometimes I almost don't feel like I need the respirator

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

genericnick posted:

Did we have those already:

One neat part is although one of them mentioned is an adenovirus carrier, the other is just some nano-particle-whatever with COVID genetic fragments in it. Which is cool because normally immunocompromised people cannot have nasal/inhaled vaccines because they're live attenuated viruses.

That said, no way to know how those people would respond to that kind of delivery system without careful studies.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
I haven't posted here in a while. So many people around me have been and are sick. Found out someone close to a friend was in an induced coma for 2 months because covid wrecked them.

A couple days ago I also met someone who had OG covid before vaccines existed. At one point her pulse ox was 54 at home

Needless to say, Only Trust Your Respirator

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

NeonPunk posted:

Dude, you do know that goon who were talking about pretzels sticks were just joking right?

You guys are not using those stupid sip valve to actually eat while wearing your masks on right??

well jokes on me I guess. I’ve installed sip masks on many flights now and works well for drinking. 0 covid for my kid.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Hungry Squirrel posted:

I also wonder if 1:1 with water and hypochlorous 500 is too strong, because my eyes are burning.

maybe just don't use it at all if the measure you're taking to avoid Covid is also causing physical symptoms.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Hungry Squirrel posted:

TIL that if you run the Airmega and the Hypo-Humidifier in the same room at the same time, the Airmega gets real mad.

I'm airing the house out before the contractors get here, and trying to decide what I want to run while they're here.

High today is in the high 40s, so maybe furnace fan and Airmega with open windows now, and then move the humidifier to each room when they're done?

I also wonder if 1:1 with water and hypochlorous 500 is too strong, because my eyes are burning.

you might want to discontinue use of the fogger and just go with ventilation

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Rescue Toaster posted:

One neat part is although one of them mentioned is an adenovirus carrier, the other is just some nano-particle-whatever with COVID genetic fragments in it. Which is cool because normally immunocompromised people cannot have nasal/inhaled vaccines because they're live attenuated viruses.

That said, no way to know how those people would respond to that kind of delivery system without careful studies.

i'm gettin vaxxed up for typhoid and it's a live attenuated vaccine, excited to directly challenge my immune system in a post-COVID reality

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

sonatinas posted:

well jokes on me I guess. I’ve installed sip masks on many flights now and works well for drinking. 0 covid for my kid.

All it takes is angling it just slightly wrong and the valve get all messed up with crumbs. Now you have a faulty mask with a sip valve that you can't seal properly in the worst place possible with no chance of taking your mask off in a safe place for a while

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Yeah, as others have said, you need to discontinue (and in general I think talks of that setup should be as well).

As to the rest of your post and in general, even a light cross breeze is much more efficient than practically any level of air-purifying and should generally be the go-to method if you want to clean out your indoor air in its entirety. I am sure a formula could be worked out depending on variables of why exactly that is, but I don't think the specifics matter, as much as understanding that a complete displacement of the air column happens when you air out, while you have diminishing returns for each round through the filters, combined with some air current chaos potentially resulting in stagnant air when you only use air-purifiers.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
gently caress all the way off.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2023/12/21/dod-to-study-whether-covid-19-vaccine-helped-or-hurt-troops/ posted:

DOD to study whether COVID-19 vaccine helped or hurt troops

Lawmakers want military researchers to determine whether the COVID-19 vaccine caused more harm than good for service members.

Included in the annual defense authorization bill passed by Congress earlier this month is language calling for “a study to assess and evaluate any health conditions and adverse events arising in service members on active duty one year after receiving the first dose of a COVID-19 vaccine.” Researchers will be required to report their findings back to lawmakers in December 2024.
(..)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Plague Island gonna plague:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/covid-uk-infections-cases-symptoms-b2467844.html posted:

Covid infection rates double with one in 24 likely to test positive
Infections are on the rise in England and Scotland as Christmas approaches
(..)
The latest figures suggest that 4.2% of people in private households in England and Scotland are likely to have tested positive for Covid-19 on December 13, the equivalent of around 2.5 million people or one in 24.

This is up from 2.0%, or around one in 50 people, on December 1 and 1.5%, or one in 66, on November 14.

The study is being run by the Office for National Statistics (ONS) and the UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) and is based on data collected from around 150,000 individuals.

Participants use lateral flow devices to test for Covid-19 and then report the results to the ONS, with each person asked to test once a month during a scheduled seven-day period.
(..)

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
lol, lmao. finally tagged. thank you, covid thread, for the up-to-date list of which remote providers are best. Dr B bounced me so i checked here and sesamecare did the trick. friendship ended with dr b, now the small grains are my best friend

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Literally nothing new here, just a brief outline of where nasal sprays stand from someone more authoritative than the thread. Idk if it is interesting or useful, but it is pretty short :shrug:

https://slate.com/technology/2023/12/covid-nasal-spray-fda-do-they-work.html posted:

Do a Few Sprays a Day Keep COVID Away?
An innovative prevention tool is available online—but I’m waiting on something specific before I try it.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Brief recap of the mentioned meeting about some of the developments and prospects in ME/CFS and/or PASC.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/new-research-aims-unravel-both-me-cfs-and-long-covid-2023a1000w9b posted:

New Research Aims to Unravel Both ME/CFS and Long COVID

New research into the mechanisms underlying myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) and long COVID is aimed at identifying potential approaches to treatment of the two overlapping illnesses.

According to a new data brief from the National Center for Health Statistics, in 2021-2022, 1.3% of US adults had ME/CFS, a complex, multisystem illness characterized by activity-limiting fatigue, worsening of symptoms after exertion, unrefreshing sleep, and other symptoms.

A 2-day conference, Advancing ME/CFS Research: Identifying Targets for Potential Intervention and Learning from Long COVID, was held in December 12-13 on the main campus of the US National Institutes of Health (NIH) and was livestreamed.
(..)

I do not believe it is online at this time, but I think NIH puts stuff like that online eventually.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

weird dry tongue, difficulty focusing, vacant headspace, mood swings, achey neck and weak muscles, dyslexia typing, slight sore throat. i know these feelings!

possible exposures in increasing order of likelihood:
- parents ate inside restaurant last monday and i've been aroiund them a couple times since then (they do that poo poo all the time)
- sunday power went out and talked to neighbors staying about 10 feet away and i think one was coughing a bit?
- also sunday family members flew in from out of town w a baby. i skipped my usual 2 day waiting period because they are going to be doing even more risky stuff during their visit and i guess i did want to see the kid. thinking its this one since i knew it was a risk and im pretty sure babies are disease sponges.

been testing negative every morning but the tests are old and i never tested positive the first time i had it. novavaxed two weeks ago and that hosed me up for 2 solid days of full body muscle soreness and a few more w classic covid headaches and chest pain. staying away from family now since none of them say they have any symptoms

currently hitting supplements hard (this list seems okay https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/COVID19-HealthProfessional) also doing arjuna bark for chest pains and eating anti inflammatory foods like oatmeal with pepper cloves and pineapple. probably take a couple nattokinase this afternoon its better on empty stomach. gonna go outside and get some sun in a bit. yay solstice

ty for the tip on k12 probiotic ordered it yesterday and it was already delivered this morning! (to the wrong address where people were gone on vacation i had to go porch pirate my own delivery lol)

also had an ambulance in the neighborhood last night so it seems like things are generally not great out there. stay careful!

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Ham Cheeks posted:

Found out someone close to a friend was in an induced coma for 2 months because covid wrecked them.

Mild coma

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

Man, even one of the Covid conscious content creator on Tiktok I follow just got got too for the first time ever. This is sure one drat scary variant!

Protip for those checking in, if you guys are having high heart rate and blood pressure at night time, and it's inferring with your sleep, get a frozen water bottle and wrap it on a rag. Place it right in the middle of your chest, it'll help stimulate your vagus nerve and helps ease it a bit so you can get some better sleep

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 18:53 on Dec 21, 2023

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
coma coma coma coma coma Covidian

you come and go

you come and gooooo

Bruce Hussein Daddy
Dec 26, 2005

I testify that there is none worthy of worship except God and I testify that Muhammad is the Messenger of God
What's the first thing everyone is going to do when the pandemic is over?

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."

Bruce Hussein Daddy posted:

Congratulate myself for the first successful test of my time machine and/or cryogenic stasis capsule.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

the pandemic is over but Covid 19 isn’t.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Enjoy 2 for 3 appetizers.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Over?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

probably get hit by a car and die

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Mola Yam posted:

what is the best succinct takedown of "immunity debt" out there. something a normie can read and understand, but preferably with authority behind it.

i'm seeing it invoked more than ever, which is weird given that we're now at least 2+ years out from anything resembling a lockdown

Raina MacIntyre posted about using this one successfully yesterday on Twitter.
https://healthydebate.ca/2023/01/topic/debunking-myth-immunity-debt/

Lisa Iannattone also made some very detailed threads about it last year:
https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1601071762073997313?lang=en

Also lol
https://twitter.com/lisa_iannattone/status/1577132734199496705

Why Am I So Tired has issued a correction as of 19:24 on Dec 21, 2023

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Well eventually it'll be over for each of us, just one-by-one.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Well the original plan when I was told they had to replace the electrical box was to just leave as soon as they got there for the five hours they said they would be working on it, and turn my cube and overpriced Dyson purifier on for an hour before coming home. I had a few things go wrong and then they had a few things go wrong and then I had a job interview this morning and planned to come back and then dip for the day before they did the work. Well they did the work while I was at the interview. And of course my mask was in the car. Hopefully I didn’t get got the two minutes I was in the apartment before leaving. When I turned the Dyson on it was like AIR QUALITY: HORRIBLE (I imagine disturbing the 50 year old electrical panel probably earthed some poo poo up) so even if Covid didn’t exist as a bad lungs person still dipping was probably the best plan.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I made a mistake of meeting my friend on Sunday for 10 mins, he wanted to bring some gifts. He was on a 100% unprotected work trip in USA and had come back a few days earlier. I kind of assumed he didn’t get sick so he wasn’t probably going to get sick at all. I didn’t think it through.

Of course he got sick the next day (Monday) and refuses to test (I offered to bring him tests). Claims it’s “just the flu”. Rip, well especially covid can transmit before the symptoms begin. Even one slip ends up always being a mistake. Maybe I will learn some day.

Ihmemies has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Dec 21, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

boss had been away from the office doing a bunch of traveling. the morning they were due to return, we get an email saying the boss was sick and would be "in quarantine." No return date given.

Is this COVID? The flu? Whatever it is, I've never seen at any time previously in my professional life so many people out for extended periods of time with unspecified illnesses.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lmao I forgot about this

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

evidence based medicine

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

Hungry Squirrel posted:

TIL that if you run the Airmega and the Hypo-Humidifier in the same room at the same time, the Airmega gets real mad.

I'm airing the house out before the contractors get here, and trying to decide what I want to run while they're here.

High today is in the high 40s, so maybe furnace fan and Airmega with open windows now, and then move the humidifier to each room when they're done?

I think that is strong and will corrode stuff in your environment. I read a study about HOCl in dental offices and they had pics of corrosion on metal equipment and it was much more rapid than normal. because it dries off as salt, it could be somewhat conductive too, idk?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 22 hours!

SixteenShells posted:

lol, lmao. finally tagged. thank you, covid thread, for the up-to-date list of which remote providers are best. Dr B bounced me so i checked here and sesamecare did the trick. friendship ended with dr b, now the small grains are my best friend

MY GRANDCHILDREN LOVE JOE BIDEN HE IS AN AFFECTIONATE PERSON TO CHILDREN, TO SENIOR CITIZENS, TO ANYONE. THAT'S JUST THE WAY HE IS BUT THAT'S JUST NOT THE WAY -- JOIN THE STRAIGHT ARM CLUB WITH ME IF YOU WILL. AND ALSO FOR EXAMPLE, MY GRANDCHILDREN, WHEN THEY WERE LITTLE I-5 AND SIX, NOW THEY'RE MORE TEN TEN AND 11, THEY WOULD SAY, PLAY GAMES AND THEN THEY WOULD SAY OPEN BIDEN. EXCEPT WE DON'T SAY SESAME. WE SAY OPEN SESAME. THAT'S THE MAGIC WORD BECAUSE HE WAS JUST SO LOVELY TO THEM AND PAID ATTENTION TO THEM. YOU KNOW, HE HAS TO UNDERSTAND IN THE WORLD WE'RE IN NOW THAT PEOPLES SPACE IS IMPORTANT TO THEM. AND WHAT'S IMPORTANT IS HOW THEY RECEIVE IT, NOT NECESSARILY HOW YOU INTENDED IT.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

SixteenShells posted:

Hope you feel better soon bud.

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

SixteenShells posted:

Make sure to use https://www.test2treat.org/ too in order to get another 5 days of Paxlovid for free. Hope you feel better and recover quickly.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

Yeah lol it's never gonna be over and only get worse, it's honestly better for your peace of mind to just accept that and an early death now.

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Applebee's

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Fenarisk posted:

Yeah lol it's never gonna be over and only get worse, it's honestly better for your peace of mind to just accept that and an early death now.

:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Dying is boring though. I’d like to live a thousand years if that was possible, to witness everything.