Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
The contract he got ended up being a bargain. Boston could've paid him. They didn't want to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Inspector_666 posted:

I mean, sure, but then he signed an extension!

The conventional wisdom was that he was looking for a top of the market deal (Trout money in other words) when he was negotiating with Boston in the winter of 2019. Boston made him an offer that was good, but not that, he said no thanks, and instead of making a counteroffer they traded him. Then Covid happened and due to the overall uncertainty that caused (would there be a 2020 season, what would the economics be etc etc), signed his extension with the Dodgers. If that's right or just a combination of cope and Red Sox FO misinfo, I dunno.

I understand, but don't agree with, the Red Sox FO mindset that you do your damndest to avoid big money/long-term commitments to players because they're dreadfully inefficient. But I will say, it's pretty dang galling that Mookie wound up signing for what was basically Boston's reported offer with 2 years tacked on.

Then again, the rotation was basically falling apart in 2019 and having Mookie would not have kept Chris Sale off that bicycle. Either way, the biggest sin was that they spent the saved money poorly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
No I'm pretty sure their biggest sin was trading away a first ballot Hall of Famer in his prime.

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

howe_sam posted:

I understand, but don't agree with, the Red Sox FO mindset that you do your damndest to avoid big money/long-term commitments to players because they're dreadfully inefficient. But I will say, it's pretty dang galling that Mookie wound up signing for what was basically Boston's reported offer with 2 years tacked on.

lol at Boston of all teams giving a poo poo about "inefficiency"

They might be coming in last while paying $22 million a year to Trevor Story, but god forbid they be financially inefficient

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Eric the Mauve posted:

No I'm pretty sure their biggest sin was trading away a first ballot Hall of Famer in his prime.
Generally this is a no no

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

I am reading The Dao of the Backup Catcher which is about journeyman catcher Erik Kratz and guys who were baseball gods figuring out that their role in the majors is just to get really good at catching and be good dudes in order to stick around. It's an interesting subject for a book and he interviews a ton of Guys and also talks to people like Theo Eastern about David Ross, but it's also not very well written in my opinion so it is hard to recommend, but I'm only about halfway through.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

R.D. Mangles posted:

but it's also not very well written in my opinion

Guess he needed to get better at framing :dadjoke:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Bregor posted:

:golfclap:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Bregor posted:

Hahaha. It's by a guy named Tim Brown with Erik Kratz but it's sort of framed around him.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bravesword posted:

lol at Boston of all teams giving a poo poo about "inefficiency"

They might be coming in last while paying $22 million a year to Trevor Story, but god forbid they be financially inefficient

The idea that you need to be financially efficient when paying at the top of the market only serves to make you miss out on the best players. Its dumb as hell. The Dodgers are financially efficient, but they also will pay for the guys they want and aren't loving around when they want that player.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1737205768414228770

Even if they offered you the most money you'd have to be an absolute sicko to willingly commit multiple years of your finite playing career to Art Moreno's Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim right now.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

The Angels have some solid young guys and Trout and a new manager and Arte will almost certainly pass on within the next twenty years

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

bees x1000 posted:

The Angels have some solid young guys and Trout and a new manager and Arte will almost certainly pass on within the next twenty years

If anybody's gonna offer Blake Snell a 20 year contract it's the Angels.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/JesseRogersESPN/status/1737910581447795026?s=20

warm up rule seems extremely dumb to me?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

it's fine

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
The artificial limitation on pitchers warming up in the bullpen makes no sense and if anything could result in injuries if guys aren't being told to warm up soon enough.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

these are all kinda dumb

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
The warmup one I don’t know what problem it solves but the rest seem fine.

Also if you can pick where you get to work I’m pretty sure “hopefully the idiot running the company dies” disqualifies that company from the running.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Popete posted:

The artificial limitation on pitchers warming up in the bullpen makes no sense and if anything could result in injuries if guys aren't being told to warm up soon enough.

I think it’s about pitchers warming up on the mound between innings, not getting up in the bullpen. I don’t know why they decided manager pitcher mind games bullshit is a problem that needed to be solved, but okay.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
Found the context elsewhere. It’s to limit the downtime from bringing in yet another pitcher after the original pitcher spent the time between innings warming up on the mound, which averaged an extra 3 minutes of commercial time. It’s rare enough that it’s a nothingburger either way.

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
The runner lane rule is good in the sense that’s it’s objective and easily reviewable. And hey, if you’re willing to a take a 90 mph baseball to the back to help your team, then you deserve to inch closer to those contract incentives.

Going from 20 seconds to 18 with runners on sounds like terminal spreadsheet brain, though.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

Found the context elsewhere. It’s to limit the downtime from bringing in yet another pitcher after the original pitcher spent the time between innings warming up on the mound, which averaged an extra 3 minutes of commercial time. It’s rare enough that it’s a nothingburger either way.

thanks for the context

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/39161682/mlb-competition-committee-tinkering-pitch-runners-lanes

This article’s got more info on the rule changes and the league’s reasoning. It’s all edge cases, pretty much. Pitchers averaged 13 seconds per pitch even with the 20-second timer, 98% of games used 4 or fewer mound visits (and they award you another one in the ninth anyway just in case).

The runner’s lane to first disappearing is definitely in response to some bad umpire judgment calls on interference.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

https://x.com/JeffPassan/status/1737916500613210223?s=20

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

For Sound Financial Pranning!

Nodoze posted:

There were a lot of rumors that Betts didn't want to stay in Boston and would have bolted at the end of the year. The trade was awful but it got them out of having to pay Price and give Betts a new contract, which is perfect for their current cheapskate mentality. So they will just justify it by saying Betts was going to leave anyway and they got to dump David Price

he didn't want to stay in the northeast because they play that disgusting and weird candlepin bowling

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo
They’ll bitch and moan about this but cave on everything salary related. How they don’t have a labor lawyer running the union after 20 years of losing ground is beyond me.

Bandire
Jul 12, 2002

a rabid potato

Well Played Mauer posted:

At least twice in the World Series, Lovullo sent up a pinch hitter to start an inning, and Bochy immediately replaced the pitcher before facing a batter that inning. Obviously it worked out for my team, but it was an annoying waste of time.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So what happens if you have two relievers warming up before an inning? Do they have to play rock-paper-scissors for who goes out to face the lone batter?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sydin posted:

So what happens if you have two relievers warming up before an inning? Do they have to play rock-paper-scissors for who goes out to face the lone batter?

It's on-the-mound warmups only

https://twitter.com/danieltkelley/status/1737919427897675793

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Sydin posted:

Its about the pitcher that is on the mound. Nothing to do with the pitcher in the pen.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Oh okay that's way less dumb. n/m then I'm totally fine with this rule.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah the idea seems to be you can’t send your pitcher out to warm up just to buy more time for your reliever to warm up or play games with pinch hitters. Which I guess whatever. I didn’t know that was happening.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
I like the first three. I feel like I hate the fourth but I need a diagram

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

i am sorry to my white sox comrades, but the sox trading for shields and then him having just unleash an unholy run on some of the most dogshit pitching performances ever witnessed was so loving funny.

e: first month on the south side

lmao these are some position player pitching stats.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
The players will always vote no on any and all rules changes. If they had veto capability no rule would ever change.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
Cubs sign one (1) MLB player this off-season challenge [IMPOSSIBLE]

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

https://x.com/ByJackHarris/status/1737943877221552255?s=20

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JonHeyman/status/1737953177830330608

Eat complete poo poo dodgers

MaoistBanker
Sep 11, 2001

Hahaha it's the plane redux at least someone actually steps up immediately and says bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

oh hell yeah we're doing plane tracking sushi restaurant poo poo again let's loving go