Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Speaking of BG3, if I want to get back into that game but I left off still in act 1 (Albeit at 20h, though I think a good chunk of it was reloading and screwing around) and I haven't really played since the patches, is it better to just restart? I mean I do not really want to but it would be nice to avoid any weirdness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

FauxLeather posted:

I'll try to be nice but I'm... surprised to see Inward as a finalist on the Outstanding Visual Style award category in a year with some top contenders.

how does a game with 160 reviews end up nominated, regardless of how it actually looks lol

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

ShadowMar posted:

how does a game with 160 reviews end up nominated, regardless of how it actually looks lol

I feel like, and maybe it's just my biases here, someone made a coordinated campaign to get one "joke" nomination in every category based on some of the outliers

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Unlucky7 posted:

Speaking of BG3, if I want to get back into that game but I left off still in act 1 (Albeit at 20h, though I think a good chunk of it was reloading and screwing around) and I haven't really played since the patches, is it better to just restart? I mean I do not really want to but it would be nice to avoid any weirdness.

If it's vanilla I think you should be fine, I was able to reload my first run when the new epilogue dropped and everything worked perfectly. That said there could be weirdness.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

If you were still in Act 1 there's only a few things that really could have gone wrong, Act 1 and 2 were much more polished than Act 3 at launch which was where almost all the weird sequence breaking stuff happened to most of us. You're probably fine to continue. But if you were looking to be enabled in starting over than yes, absolutely, it's vitally necessary that you make a new character.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

I wanted a game that was part of a bundle, but I could have sworn I got the other game in the bundle as part of a humble deal so I logged onto that for the first time in 3 years to find it. Turns out I didn't take any of the deals that included Rime, even though it showed up all the time, but I do have a shitload of games I never redeemed. So, I'll just be dropping some of those in this here thread every couple of days or so until I run out. We'll start with the best stuff I already have/don't care about :

Soul C*liber 6: ZN58D-948R5-W*MJ2

*akuza 0: NWFPJ-PQF*B-0M88X

Jus* Cause 3 XXL: PDZK2-E0P9I-D*I34

Mega Man *egacy Collection: QF*5Q-RM3WB-BQ2ID

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Dec 21, 2023

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Just recently beat STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R: I always wanted to play it and had a (mostly) great time! Posting my steam review here:

-------------

A fantastic remake for a (mostly) fantastic RPG! Not only does it recapture everything from the original but in a new sleek hi-def presentation, but it also modernizes the experience with tons of quality-of-life features, such as fast-forward/skips for cutscenes and lengthy battle animations, random encounters being removed in favor of visible monsters on the field, a revamped combat system, tutorials/challenges that help teach the finer points of the system, and more! Definitely sets a new standard that all remakes should follow!

As alluded to before, I'll admit that while I enjoyed the game overall, it did have some downsides where I felt like the story was a little underbaked and the combat was a little simple and awkward due to some of the balancing and party AI. Not sure if I'd consider this RPG a must-play, despite the nostalgic appeal and the very good remake of it that this is, but still, fun nonetheless and I don't regret finally being able to play this.

If I were to have a recommendation, I'd say play the game on Universe difficulty for the best experience, as I found the game very entertaining in how unbalanced the difficulty is and how you fight right back by how unbalanced you can break the game with its various crafting/gear/skill/etc systems (which the game will be pushing you to appreciate already with challenges, so you may as well embrace it). Universe difficulty really made me feel like I had to use everything in my toolkit to beat some of the bosses and dungeons, which was way more exciting and kept me engaged than just mashing attack and having 100 unused megaelixirs in my pocket like so many other RPGs.

-------------

Bit of a shame it's not on sale at the moment, but it was a top-quality remake and so I was happy to give them the cash despite being such a huge penny-pincher.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I took Soul Calibur, thank you! I've wanted to check out its build-a-fighter and story mode but never got around to it

Wintermutant
Oct 2, 2009

Dinosaur Gum

sirtommygunn posted:

Mega Man *egacy Collection: QF*5Q-RM3WB-BQ2ID

Grabbed this one; thank you!

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"
Talos II for $23.99 is tying a historic low for a highly reviewed & new game. Only way to beat it right now is with an Epic store coupon.

Edit: also good deals on The Witness and Stanley Parable Deluxe.

Last Transmission
Aug 10, 2011

Someone took Just Cause 3 already.

Thanks for offering!

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

One of the games on my wishlist was at 10%, then 33%, now 40% off, so uh, yeah definitely some weirdness.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya theres been many games on sale but not showing the green discount % off unless you goto the store page. Sometimes on the wishlist or main page it doesn't show correct price. It happens every sale.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Ah gently caress it, here's a second batch for today

Shadow Tactics: *lades of the Shogun: C53A0-X0*VC-VX3X7

The Es*apists 2: NMV*7-8VXKV-IP2VM

*athologic Classic HD: N*DCW-K4NMA-R89VD

Sniper *lite 3: M*V3D-3J3TC-WFAGT

Cultist Si*ulator: P0HBB-J7VL5-FBW*D

She Remembered Ca*erpillars: FNVQK-*IVL6-RYAN0

Lo*e is Dead: KGMM4-30L7T-8*0R7

sirtommygunn fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Dec 21, 2023

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Snagged Cultist Sim, thank you.

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

FauxLeather posted:

I'll try to be nice but I'm... surprised to see Inward as a finalist on the Outstanding Visual Style award category in a year with some top contenders.
I feel like a real hater here but looking at the nominees in every category, I sincerely had the thought "was 2023 way worse for games than I remember?"

Toksai
Dec 3, 2005
Thanks for Shadow Tactics!

It was very confusing when egs gave away the expansion that takes place right before this one’s ending.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Given that most of the outlier nominations are big AAA franchises I can only assume that Steam had some kind of contractual obligation where they promised AAA studios nominations in the annual awards

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

deep dish peat moss posted:

Given that most of the outlier nominations are big AAA franchises I can only assume that Steam had some kind of contractual obligation where they promised AAA studios nominations in the annual awards

More like, those are the only games the general public knows about.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Chernobyl Peace Prize posted:

I feel like a real hater here but looking at the nominees in every category, I sincerely had the thought "was 2023 way worse for games than I remember?"

Yeah this is definitely algorithim inspired to make you hate it and talk about it.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

just bad nominations, this year was pretty good

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

2023 had a lot of great games and most of them were not nominated for a steam award lol

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

ShadowMar posted:

2023 had a lot of great games and most of them were not nominated for a steam award lol

Starfield was nominated for Most Innovative Gameplay though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Just give every single award to Baldur's Gate 3 and get it over with.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

kazil posted:

Red Dead Redemption 2 was released 4 years ago and hasn't received an update in 3 and a half years but it's nominated for this year's "Labor of Love" award.

The description of that category is "This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the debut of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years."

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Red Dead Redemption 2 was released 4 years ago and hasn't received an update in 3 and a half years but it's nominated for this year's "Labor of Love" award.

The description of that category is "This game has been out for a while. The team is well past the debut of their creative baby, but being the good parents they are, these devs continue to nurture and support their creation. This game, to this day, is still getting new content after all these years."
I don't even play the game anymore but it's insane that Warframe doesn't just get this one 4 years out of 5. Dying Light 2 definitely put in the work this year too.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

I played the demo of this and was super impressed with the update. The only thing that disappointed me was that it used the translation script and the voice acting from the 2009 PSP remake, which I always found workmanlike at best; one of tri-Ace's weakest points is their characterization, and the translators and localizers that did the original 1999 release of Second Story made an effort to give the characters some actual personality via their speech patterns, which was entirely missing in the remake. That being said, I can absolutely see why they wouldn't want to re-record all the dialogue.

Well, okay, and it took some practice to get used to having the camera hover around at head height rather than up above. Suddenly buildings were blocking my vision of private actions! Even though I already know where they all are! hello, it me, the person who care way too much about the star ocean games

(The latest one, The Divine Force, came out in 2022 and is probably the second-best after Second Story! It also has exactly the same flaws!! tri-Ace gonna tri-Ace)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

my awards based on these categories:

GOTY - Vividlope
Labor of Love - Quake 2 Remaster
Best Game on Steam Deck - Lunacid, Gravity Circuit
Outstanding Visual Style - 9 Years of Shadows
Most Innovative Gameplay - 24 Killers, The Bookwalker
Best Game You Suck At - Lingo
Best Soundtrack - Rhythm Sprout
Outstanding Story-Rich Game - Misericorde Vol 1
Sit Back and Relax - My Time at Sandrock, Wall World

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

kazil posted:

stray won it last year. steam awards are meaningless.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Just got Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. What a fun rear end game. Great story, fun puzzles, just a super creative concept that I'd love to see more of as a way to freshen up visual novels and similar games.

FauxLeather posted:

I'm surprised Alan Wake 2 isn't on there, considering the way they mixed ultimate graphical fidelity with insanely cool looking effects. The portion near the start of the game when you've entered the Overlap and it blends the forest around you with urban scenery like a tunnel absolutely blew my loving mind, that looked so rad.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Play posted:

I'm surprised Alan Wake 2 isn't on there, considering the way they mixed ultimate graphical fidelity with insanely cool looking effects. The portion near the start of the game when you've entered the Overlap and it blends the forest around you with urban scenery like a tunnel absolutely blew my loving mind, that looked so rad.

i wonder why a game not on steam isn't up for a steam award :iiam:

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Play posted:

Just got Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective. What a fun rear end game. Great story, fun puzzles, just a super creative concept that I'd love to see more of as a way to freshen up visual novels and similar games.

Isn't Alan Wake 2 only on the Epic Store?

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Edited instead to say happy holidays losers

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Woo double post

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

Picayune posted:

I played the demo of this and was super impressed with the update. The only thing that disappointed me was that it used the translation script and the voice acting from the 2009 PSP remake, which I always found workmanlike at best; one of tri-Ace's weakest points is their characterization, and the translators and localizers that did the original 1999 release of Second Story made an effort to give the characters some actual personality via their speech patterns, which was entirely missing in the remake. That being said, I can absolutely see why they wouldn't want to re-record all the dialogue.

Well, okay, and it took some practice to get used to having the camera hover around at head height rather than up above. Suddenly buildings were blocking my vision of private actions! Even though I already know where they all are! hello, it me, the person who care way too much about the star ocean games

(The latest one, The Divine Force, came out in 2022 and is probably the second-best after Second Story! It also has exactly the same flaws!! tri-Ace gonna tri-Ace)

Yeah, I was pretty surprised that it was using all of the old voices and script: you'd think they would redo them since they redid portraits and stuff like that (and you can switch between which ones you like) but I suppose that would be a big overhaul.

Yeah, I heard The Divine Force was a nice return to the form after some of the more rocky entries like Faithlessness and Integrity. Was considering picking it up, but I was surprised to see that it's mixed on Steam: is this a case of a bad PC port, or a bad game? Also, call me shallow, but I can never quite get past that porcelain doll look that the 3D models have, so maybe I'll pass.

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 21, 2023

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

I don't even play the game anymore but it's insane that Warframe doesn't just get this one 4 years out of 5. Dying Light 2 definitely put in the work this year too.

The truck sims feel like they deserve this too. I know they're selling DLC, but no game catches my attention in the "What's New" bit on Steam with a "huh, neat" more than American Truck Sim does.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

repiv posted:

i wonder why a game not on steam isn't up for a steam award :iiam:

hmmmm :thunkin:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Give that award to Terraria, because I lost count how many times the dev said “Ok, for real, this is the last update.” but just won’t stop! It came out 12 years ago! He’s out of control.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ragequit posted:

Give that award to Terraria, because I lost count how many times the dev said “Ok, for real, this is the last update.” but just won’t stop! It came out 12 years ago! He’s out of control.

And the game keeps getting better.

Hell Stardew is getting another large update soon as well. These dudes are mad!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Honestly good for them.