Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Philthy posted:

I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember it being pretty drat good.

Yea it's good, I did enjoy that one. Still, it was very low budget and depended a lot on that low budget charm. If you tell me James Wan has like $100 mil budget to make a Call of Cthulhu movie with high end special effects, that gets me even more excited. I just don't have my hopes up that we'll actually get that, I figure 99% of the movie will be about the guy investigating the cult, not the story of the sailors encountering Cthulhu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

I want cold, desolate and creeping dread more than anything.

we must reject this racist dork and destroy his boring mood

(lovecraft)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Terror Train is so sick

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dorium posted:

I want cold, desolate and creeping dread more than anything.

Call of Chutulu is an adventure story.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Gabriel x M3gan vs. Cthulhu

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

What other New Year's horror movies are there besides New Year's Evil and Bloody New Year?

And I forget which one had the tagline "Should auld acquaintance be forgot? Or just brutally murdered?" on the VHS box.

Antisocial (2013)
Holidays (has a new year's entry) 2016
Ghostkeeper (1981)
The Signal (2007)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

i forgot The Signal is a new year's movie. fun flick. as an anthology, i'll take it over any of the V/H/S movies that descended from it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Is that the boring one where kids get abducted by aliens and one kid gets cyber legs

I didn’t like that

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Wan's biggest strength as a director is that he's good at what he does but has a clear Really Weird streak so I think he's a perfect fit if they go a creative route. Rewatching The Conjuring 2 for the third or fourth time in October was fun because this time I noticed the weird freeze frames and the way the camera swooped around in between the Serious Parts.

There are some very fun transitions in Dead Silence.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

Is that the boring one where kids get abducted by aliens and one kid gets cyber legs

I didn’t like that

there's like five movies called The Signal but The Signal (2007) is the exquisite-corpse-style anthology where a weird TV signal turns everyone into psycho killers. David Bruckner's directorial debut! Final third is lame but the first two thirds are great.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Oh ok, yeah I heard of that. I wanted to see it because someone said it was like the cell, which I thought the idea sounded like the coolest idea ever when I was a kid

I never read the book lol

I’ll put it on the list

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Call of Chutulu is an adventure story.

The very good opening of the kinda bad CoC: Dark Corners video game is best adaptation of that story there will ever be.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I mean after Malignant I'm going to be in the theater for every James Wan horror movie so it doesnt.matter to me

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Open Source Idiom posted:

At least one of Hulu's Into The Dark anthology films is set at New Year, but they've got a film for most any holiday. I remember it being one of the decent ones too.

two!

Sophia Takal’s social media satire New Year, New You (which despite the phrase “social media satire” is actually good) and Carter Smith’s gay slasher Midnight Kiss (watchable, great cast)

Naked Man Punch
Sep 13, 2008

They see me rollin';
they hatin'.
Apologies if I missed it, but I don't think I saw The AV Club's "top 30" posted yet:

https://www.avclub.com/the-best-horror-movies-of-2023-1850375041

It has few I haven't seen on other lists (like Variety's). Namely The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster, which I put on my personal 2023 best. Mighty fine.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

also when I say “gay slasher” I don’t mean that in an understated or subtextual way, like it’s a story explicitly about gay men made by gay men. which is cool! you’ve probably all seen it done better because you guys like horror movies but it’s fun! the killer wears a pup mask and it’s not weird, it’s just part of the milieu!

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

Naked Man Punch posted:

Apologies if I missed it, but I don't think I saw The AV Club's "top 30" posted yet:

https://www.avclub.com/the-best-horror-movies-of-2023-1850375041

It has few I haven't seen on other lists (like Variety's). Namely The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster, which I put on my personal 2023 best. Mighty fine.

I don't know how seriously I can take a list that doesn't put Godzilla: Minus One in the top 5, at least.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It’s certainly one of the top five of the year period and I respect opinions to the contrary but I don’t really group Godzilla Minus One as a horror movie.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
AV Club is a little fart sniffy so I tend to take their horror lists with that in mind

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Class3KillStorm posted:

I don't know how seriously I can take a list that doesn't put Godzilla: Minus One in the top 5, at least.

I clicked through expecting to see it buried at like 29 or 30. It's number 6! You're so picky!

I actually just got home from seeing it (and watched the original at home beforehand). It's great, obviously, but I agree that I probably wouldn't file it under horror.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

I mean after Malignant I'm going to be in the theater for every James Wan horror movie so it doesnt.matter to me

Can't wait for Cthulhu to hurl a chair at the police

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I haven’t even heard of a good third of the movies on that AV Club list.

I watched The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster last week and I was disappointed, it’s a great premise and I really wanted to like it but I thought it was executed in a super flat boring way.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I know the reception was pretty mixed but I thought Dark Harvest was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see it on at least one list

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

CelticPredator posted:

Oh ok, yeah I heard of that. I wanted to see it because someone said it was like the cell, which I thought the idea sounded like the coolest idea ever when I was a kid

I never read the book lol

I’ll put it on the list

Cell works and doesnt work in some very-Stephen King ways, but the opening chapters are quite good.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dorium posted:

Cell works and doesnt work in some very-Stephen King ways, but the opening chapters are quite good.
Cell is such a perfect Latter Era King book because it is almost a perfect linear drop from chapter to chapter as the book just gets worse and worse. honestly read chapter one then stop and make up your own rest of the book, you literally couldn't do worse

also the Cusack/Sam L Jackson movie for it is only like the third best Cusack/Jackson King adaptation

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

dorium posted:

Yeah this is what I knew about it and I was like this is legit cool

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Cell was when I stopped reading King.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I heard the Mercedes trilogy and the Outsider were pretty good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Philthy posted:

Cell was when I stopped reading King.

SOME GIZMO the novel.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Revival is the last one that piqued my interest and I do wanna get around to it but I think the last things I read by him were Under the Dome and that one short story about the guy who gets stuck in a portapotty. Both were pretty sick.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

two!

Sophia Takal’s social media satire New Year, New You (which despite the phrase “social media satire” is actually good) and Carter Smith’s gay slasher Midnight Kiss (watchable, great cast)

Yeah I was thinking of the Carter Smith one. It's solid.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I wish I had been able to see Evil Dead Rise in a theater, finally watched it tonight and it just didn't do a lot for me. Might have been more fun with a crowd? Alyssa Sutherland is great though!

I guess I should finally check out the Ash vs Evil Dead series.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

if you were disappointed by EDR (same) you’ll probably love AvED, yeah

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I enjoyed EDR but I saw it in the theatre with the worst possible fuckboi/girl audience. I think the fact that I enjoyed it even a little with people openly talking all the way through it and getting up and walking around to talk to other groups of people in the theatre is a testament to the quality of the movie itself.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I wish I had been able to see Evil Dead Rise in a theater, finally watched it tonight and it just didn't do a lot for me. Might have been more fun with a crowd? Alyssa Sutherland is great though!

I guess I should finally check out the Ash vs Evil Dead series.

It's not bad but it's not particularly great. I don't remember much other than the long CGI deadite death at the end. It tried to be 2013 Evil Dead but that stuck around in my brain longer than Rise did.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

ruddiger posted:

I heard the Mercedes trilogy and the Outsider were pretty good.

I really liked the outsider and loved the show which irons out a bunch of the book in good ways.

Thanksgiving was alright. Good kills bad everything else. Glad to see a peppered Patrick Dempsey back to back this week in Thanksgiving and Ferrari.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I know the reception was pretty mixed but I thought Dark Harvest was a lot of fun and I'm glad to see it on at least one list

I highly recommend the book by Norman Partridge.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

gey muckle mowser posted:

I haven’t even heard of a good third of the movies on that AV Club list.

I watched The Angry Black Girl and Her Monster last week and I was disappointed, it’s a great premise and I really wanted to like it but I thought it was executed in a super flat boring way.

I really liked the first 30 minutes and the last 30 minutes, but the middle just drug and felt like a slog/boring. Which is really sort of impressive, since I can't think of much else that does it. Overall glad I watched it but probably won't ever again.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm glad I saw Evil Dead Rise in the theater if for no other reason than the title reveal was great on a huge screen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Medullah posted:

I'm glad I saw Evil Dead Rise in the theater if for no other reason than the title reveal was great on a huge screen

:hellyeah: