Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poe meater
Feb 17, 2011
I wish there was a little bit more of voice acting even if it's just a greeting especially for characters with a portrait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Phanatic posted:

If it's fine you must also like bashing your own dick with a hammer. It might be fine if it weren't a series of tiny loving maps with loading times between them. I mean come on, there are single maps that are bigger than this whole maze and I don't need to load multiple times to traverse them. This is stupid.

I'm at the Forest Dweller Village. I completed the ritual. Nobody will talk to me. The map exits are labeled, except that on one map there are still "To the forests..." exits right next to labeled exits. Is this bugged? Have I done something wrong? Is there any answer other than just clicking random exits?

I can't even just go back to my ship and come back to this quest later, it's just a brick wall. This is beyond stupid. This is customer-hating poo poo.

Owned lol

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

poe meater posted:

I wish there was a little bit more of voice acting even if it's just a greeting especially for characters with a portrait.

A little more voice acting would definitely not go amiss but something that would be an even bigger improvement IMO is giving every character you talk to more than once a portrait.

I don't understand why they don't.
Surely having an artist draw a few dozen quick portraits can't be that expensive can it?

I played through Wrath of the Righteous recently for a second time with a mod that gives every NPC a portrait and it did wonders for helping me keep track of secondary and tertiary story lines.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

If you're going to use that, you might as well use this instead:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Yeah Id 100% be down with more portraits

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Someone should AI-up old Johnny boy.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

In addition to more voice acting, I miss the Narrator from BG3.

And I really enjoy what few cutscenes there have been, like your military parade or watching people duke it out at my inauguration ceremony

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

ai art ethics are bad and all but im a poster and not an artist so my main issue with it is that people will take even the smallest excuse to flood everything with that crap

Xun posted:

I used art I commissioned myself :smaug:

It's of my black crusade character though so lol heresy away

i think i recognize that art style, is that by celestial fang

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Where are you seeing this in the patch notes?

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Jack Trades posted:

A little more voice acting would definitely not go amiss but something that would be an even bigger improvement IMO is giving every character you talk to more than once a portrait.

I don't understand why they don't.
Surely having an artist draw a few dozen quick portraits can't be that expensive can it?

I played through Wrath of the Righteous recently for a second time with a mod that gives every NPC a portrait and it did wonders for helping me keep track of secondary and tertiary story lines.

I can't speak for Owlcat in particular but a lot of artists nowadays have to pull double duty in making both the 2D and 3D assets so yeah...resources spent making more unique portraits is going to either have to be taken away from something else or to be added on top, which means cost increase.
Obsidian tried to get around this in Tyranny by making all the portraits posed mannequins of the characters using the same generic poses, but it didn't actually look very good in practice.

I'm all for more portraits, hell I'd love even some kind of generic guardsman or lower decks extra portrait, even if it ends up being re-used, but it does actually impose a big costs on the development budget.
Voice acting is even worse tho. Larian are absolute lunatics for the amount of time and money that had to be poured into voicing every single thing, including dead people.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Runa posted:

Shouting at Argenta to shoot things feels like Alicia Rush for a new generation

I had to hard stop using her after I got ambushed by a pack of Necrons on Act 4 and chaining together the Inquisitor's Ring momentum buff + Argenta's personal skill on an extra turn Cassia gave her to get Finest Hour, they straight up did not get a single turn. She was using the Calibrated Heavy Stubber and by the time the last enemy had died she had ramped into doing about 70 damage per shot in a 12 shot burst and the encounter ended before I had used up the entire Finest Hour turn

Alicia Rush is a really good analogy lol

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Sio posted:

Ethical concerns aside, the AI portraits people are posting on Nexus and in this thread all look like complete poo poo. That's reason enough not to use them.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
the first person to quote this post will get a rogue trader portrait drawn by me. reply with their gender and orgin.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

poe meater posted:

It's only really bad when it's the companions who go from voiced to silent immediately.

Tons of those party interjections aren't even voiced its just a text bubble above the character you might not even see.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Snooze Cruise posted:

the first person to quote this post will get a rogue trader portrait drawn by me. reply with their gender and orgin.

Psyker. Non-white, gender-neutral person if possible :)

EDIT: Origin to be determined by the next person to quote.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Death World

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

Clerical Terrors posted:

Voice acting is even worse tho. Larian are absolute lunatics for the amount of time and money that had to be poured into voicing every single thing, including dead people.

This is a significant part of what people mean when they say "BG3 is an outlier, don't expect most folks to go as hard as Larian did". Most studios, hell most publishers, will never be able to fund voicework to the caliber and degree that Larian, backed up by WotC/Hasbro, did with BG3. Hell, with the layoffs at BG3 and the entire original BG3 licensing team at WotC disappearing, we may not see that again in BG3.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

KPC_Mammon posted:

Where are you seeing this in the patch notes?

https://roguetrader.wiki.fextralife.com/Patch+Notes

Under ‘Mechanics’.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

SpaceDrake posted:

This is a significant part of what people mean when they say "BG3 is an outlier, don't expect most folks to go as hard as Larian did". Most studios, hell most publishers, will never be able to fund voicework to the caliber and degree that Larian, backed up by WotC/Hasbro, did with BG3. Hell, with the layoffs at BG3 and the entire original BG3 licensing team at WotC disappearing, we may not see that again in BG3.

I would've said a good goal is to make sure all companion lines are voiced, and then for main quest NPCs you repeatedly talk to and/or reveal major story and plot points.

Side quest scrub number 46 telling you that something strange is happening in the lower decks doesn't need anything voiced.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

CommissarMega posted:

you can't do this with AI

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

That's much cooler than my Nurgle psyker

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

That isn't the most recent patch. It hasn't been fixed.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
When I ran into the two other rogue traders at the end of Act 2 I thought it was really well done. Like the whole game so far I keep getting to be like "I'm da most importantest cause im da rogue trader" and people generally go "ok fine..." But now there's these two assholes and, while I haven't done any quests with them yet so I can't say whether it's that good yet, I definitely got the vibe of "they dont fuckin give a poo poo about you", or at least "they aren't gonna accept your poo poo".

The music in this at key points has been really superb also. Like the boss fight music that comes on when you fight the chaos space marine.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The Winterscale Dynasty has a whole subsector named after them. Three planets isn't impressive. The Chordas have a smaller but still respectable little kingdom.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

SHISHKABOB posted:

The music in this at key points has been really superb also. Like the boss fight music that comes on when you fight the chaos space marine.

The way all your party members were like "welp gg" when Aurora appeared was the best

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Chillgamesh posted:

The way all your party members were like "welp gg" when Aurora appeared was the best

Yeah this loving ruled lol

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Snooze Cruise posted:

you can't do this with AI

Finally, some good content. I assume that as the veil degrades, the prop-hat spins faster?

Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

My salt levels are spiking to dangerous levels and I have come to the internet to seek guidance.

Playing on Hard, I get into an encounter with old friends of Jae after leaving Footfall. It seems that every dialogue choice leads to Voidship combat. This is only my second Voidship fight and I am insanely outclassed, as in, my torpedos only deal 1/6 damage to the small adds, of which there are three. Regardless of positioning the enemies can kill me in the second round, sometimes before I can act again.

This feels like it's totally unbalanced and I shouldn't be here, but I don't seem to have any choice to avoid it? Is there some way to get your Voidship crazy upgraded on Footfall? I feel like I would need to be 3-5 times stronger to have a chance with good tactics.

Help me, Something Awful. You're my only hope.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hubbert posted:

Finally, some good content. I assume that as the veil degrades, the prop-hat spins faster?

you understand my thinking perfectly

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

how long does it typically take for owlcat games to shape up?
looks like the "big" patches coming through this and next week aren't going to be sufficient to make the later acts stable

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sab669 posted:

That's what I said in my last post, yes. It's another tool in the artist's toolbelt.

Maybe for personal projects with no commercial stake but the same copyright and ethical issues apply commercially outside of the simplest automation cases (like procedural tools)

But yeah using them personal custom portraits is just whatever, people have been nabbing concept art off the internet for that for ages.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

shrike82 posted:

how long does it typically take for owlcat games to shape up?
looks like the "big" patches coming through this and next week aren't going to be sufficient to make the later acts stable

usually in 2 years or so when they get the definitive edition out, and then they introduce new bugs to keep things exciting - none of their products so far have ever hit full stability with all gameplay elements working perfectly

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

what the gently caress is this act 1 boss fight. two or three people killed in the opening volley every time before I even get a turn. Am I supposed to lose or some poo poo?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

No it's just hard. Kill the sniper and overwhelming the big boy should get more doable.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Blah I hosed up getting Ulfar and now I'm upsetti spaghetti

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

cuntman.net posted:

i think i recognize that art style, is that by celestial fang

Yep! He opened up commissions awhile back and I managed to snag a spot :toot: not sure if it's still open though

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Arglebargle III posted:

No it's just hard. Kill the sniper and overwhelming the big boy should get more doable.

The sniper who is "untargetable" and nobody on my entire team can hit? While the big boy is mowing two of my guys down with heavy bolter fire before they get a turn?

FurtherReading
Sep 4, 2007

Elendil004 posted:

what the gently caress is this act 1 boss fight. two or three people killed in the opening volley every time before I even get a turn. Am I supposed to lose or some poo poo?

On unfair you are pretty much guaranteed a team member is killed every time the Chaos Space Marine acts. Setting up at the start is partially a trigonometry problem to prevent a burst attack being aimed through two vital characters.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Elendil004 posted:

The sniper who is "untargetable" and nobody on my entire team can hit? While the big boy is mowing two of my guys down with heavy bolter fire before they get a turn?

should have the longlas on someone for countersniping

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i had the officer talent that gives you a free turn at the start of a fight and i used it to make abbey charge at him and he spent most of the fight trying to throw hands with abbey instead of taking a 3 damage opportunity attack and easily gunning everyone down