Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Ok I finally unlocked Birthright without cheating

Now I will just put Jake and Esau down forever instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I approached J&E like tainted lost where I just didn't even care about the run at all until I had at least one good item. In the case of J&E that was at least one, preferably two flight items.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
Tainted Isaac was actually a ton of fun! Having to carefully consider synergies and interactions instead of just gobbling up everything in sight was an interesting exercise.

I got so close to the Vurp! + Endless Nameless infinite Luck trick, even had Old Bandage. But I put down PHD like a fool two floors before I found my first Luck pill and spent the rest of the run kicking myself for it.

Still ended up extremely overpowered with Dr. Fetus and a bunch of synergies, but ugh. I really wanna do the Endless Nameless infinite luck thing sometime. So close.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Speaking of going infinite now that repentance has been out for a while i think they made it a bit too hard to go infinite. i understand the logic in making it harder to do but it was still fun to do it *sometimes*

i don’t think ive managed to go infinite a single time since repentance came out and its kind of a bummer

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden
I’ve never understood Tainted ??? until yesterday when I noticed that you get a DPS boost standing in the diarrhea, and if you also drop a flaming poop you get flaming tears. Then it finally clicked and I’m actually having some fun, got a gnawed leaf real early so for mega satan I just went afk and let dead bird handle it

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Speaking of going infinite now that repentance has been out for a while i think they made it a bit too hard to go infinite. i understand the logic in making it harder to do but it was still fun to do it *sometimes*

i don’t think ive managed to go infinite a single time since repentance came out and its kind of a bummer

I hadn't bothered to touch the new Isaac until all the DLC and patches were out, so I don't know how it was in earlier versions. But I have managed to go infinite a few times abusing Clear Rune + Jera + Batteries, Habit + Old Bandage, and Sharp Plug + Old Bandage.

Old Bandage is extremely exploitable and massively underrrated, I think. Old Bandage + decent luck makes going infinite fairly likely, and if you toss in Humbling Bundle it kicks into gear even sooner.

Another infinite I've really wanted but haven't landed yet is Diplo + ? Card. Just need two ? cards to kick start the process, but then you also need a means of rerolling do anything useful. I figured if the infinite dupe engine were to get going, all you'd need is a chest to eventually get a dice shard... But turns out duping a chest dupes its contents, so that's a no-go. Unless one of those chests contains a treasure and you've got Chaos, then it's just a matter of time until the D6 or D20 or something suitable pops out.

on that note, I have a motto now: ABC, Always Buy Chaos. The value of getting anything from any source has nearly always outweighed the certainty of guaranteed Angel or Devil items in their respective pools since you get so few draws from them in a typical run anyway.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

chaos is an extremely mixed bag. you can definitely high roll on bosses, shops, and item rooms and the like but it also makes devil rooms basically worthless and there's other small good pools that really hurt from it

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Its too chaotic for me

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

by the way I just want to say that for all I bitch about it, this is still one of my favorite games of all time

the pee-pee poo-poo abortion game...

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

expensive sausage

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!
i would absolutely pay 93 cents for that sausage.

also maybe in isaac too

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Tainted ??? Greedier was probably about the only almost fun greed run I've done. Felt almost like a tower defense mode, stashing fly poops around, spreading damage floors, at least for the first few floors before all that drops off.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
All I have left for Tainted Cain is Hush. And it's not going well. I'm trying to just go fast and think less, but that generally results in loving dying. The alternative is to grind until i find Mama Mega. This fuckin sucks.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

DontMockMySmock posted:

All I have left for Tainted Cain is Hush. And it's not going well. I'm trying to just go fast and think less, but that generally results in loving dying. The alternative is to grind until i find Mama Mega. This fuckin sucks.

I maintain that Tainted Cain and Tainted Jacob are the worst characters for me bc they represent the extremes of run length. Either runs taking loving forever trying to get good items with Cain, or never being able to stop and think for a minute with Jacob.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Think you're genuinely better off looking for Mama Mega

END CHEMTRAILS NOW
Apr 16, 2005

Pillbug

DontMockMySmock posted:

While doing that, remember that you also have the option to use Mom's Box to spawn the Strange Key trinket and reach Hush that way. It's something to keep an eye out for in case it happens. Just don't confuse the Strange Key and the Blue Key trinkets, since they look similar.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

While doing that, remember that you also have the option to use Mom's Box to spawn the Strange Key trinket and reach Hush that way. It's something to keep an eye out for in case it happens. Just don't confuse the Strange Key and the Blue Key trinkets, since they look similar.

Haven't unlocked strange key; didn't know about it. Gonna table this one until I finish tainted eve, I guess. Mom's Box is a much more common item than mama mega so it seems like a solid strategy.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

DontMockMySmock posted:

Haven't unlocked strange key; didn't know about it. Gonna table this one until I finish tainted eve, I guess. Mom's Box is a much more common item than mama mega so it seems like a solid strategy.

eh, mom's box is definitely more common than mama mega but i'm not sure if that is less common than getting mom's box and the one trinket you're looking for from it

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

PantsBandit posted:

I maintain that Tainted Cain and Tainted Jacob are the worst characters for me bc they represent the extremes of run length. Either runs taking loving forever trying to get good items with Cain, or never being able to stop and think for a minute with Jacob.

Echoing the polarity of these two characters.

Tainted Cain punishes impatience and rewards diligence, but it means a powerful run is virtually guaranteed with enough time invested.

I tried Tainted Jacob for the first time tonight, and WHEW. You never ever get two seconds to stop and think without pausing. Makes for some chaotic fights, too, but I'm finding the bull fighter mechanic with Dark Esau adds a level of enjoyable frustration to the combat, opposed to the regular frustration of J&E.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

behold

art

(not good enough for delirium though)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Any tips for Greedier?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

New vampire survivors DLC looks kickass

watho
Aug 2, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Any tips for Greedier?

learn to enjoy pain

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

Well went to load up my save after a hiatus and all mother, beast, and tainted completion marks have disappeared. Tried to sync with my achievements and no luck. gently caress.

neato burrito
Aug 25, 2002

bitch better have my chex mix

AKZ posted:

Well went to load up my save after a hiatus and all mother, beast, and tainted completion marks have disappeared. Tried to sync with my achievements and no luck. gently caress.

That's a loving bummer, drat. You going to start over or nah?

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Meowywitch posted:

Any tips for Greedier?

cheat

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I did Greedier with Tainted Keeper yesterday and with him it's less "Greedier" and more "Greed But Slightly Harder" lmao

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Meowywitch posted:

Any tips for Greedier?

devil / angel deals are guaranteed if you go through the final wave no matter how much red heart damage you take. use this to your advantage. soul/black hearts aren’t nearly as valuable as they are in the regular game

learn to recognize when you’ve hit a winning run so you can stop your spending

red playing cards are almost always worth buying

don’t be afraid of taking damage to press the stop button to control the tempo / maximize the utilization of an active item

sprinkler + something like 4.5 volt or battery baby is /ggnextmap

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

neato burrito posted:

That's a loving bummer, drat. You going to start over or nah?

I accept it as a terrible gift of more hours of tboi.

Xaiter
Dec 16, 2007

Everything is AWESOME!

PIZZA.BAT posted:

red playing cards are almost always worth buying

Emphasizing this.

Because Greed Mode shops restock indefinitely without price hikes, Blank Card + 2 Of Diamonds becomes an instant win combination.

You just need 11 cents on hand to double your money to 22 cents, pay 10 cents to recharge your money doubler and be left with a 1 cent profit.

Then you can loop until you have 89 cents with a fully charged card and buy out literally everything from the Shop. Eventually Chaos shows up and you get access to the truly broken stuff from Devil/Angel/Secret Pools.

EDIT: In addition, you don't need blank card + 2 of Diamonds specifically for this nonsense to work either. Clear Rune + Jera also works if you leave at least 11 cents on the ground somewhere, for the same reasons.

Diplo + 2 ? Cards or Diplo + 1 Wild Card can achieve the same result, with the Diplo combo not even requiring a base amount of money to get going, since they're a native infinite resource loop.

Endless Nameless + Vurp + d20, really, ANY source of infinite pickup generation will let you bust Greed Mode wide open thanks to the infinite restocking shop.

I once managed it with just Swallowed Penny from a pot and a heart on sale. Just use the curse door to generate two coins, buy the heart for 2 cents. Eventually it will pop out a nickel or a dime and you profit. Slow, but if you keep with it until Fanny Pack or Old Bandage show up, the process accelerates rapidly.

Xaiter fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Dec 24, 2023

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

My Reflection is good now??? got it from a curse-of-the-blind treasure room and it was actually cool and good. everything i know about this game is a lie!

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Its not exactly bad it just makes your shot too different. Same deal with the wiz, where its neither good nor bad, it just makes it weird enough that it becomes inconvenient after hundreds of hours of muscle memory

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

DontMockMySmock posted:

My Reflection is good now??? got it from a curse-of-the-blind treasure room and it was actually cool and good. everything i know about this game is a lie!

They buffed it recently and it feels way more like a fun alternative-fire option instead of a bogus pick, especially with the right tear modifiers.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Yeah, adding +1 damage and -1 luck makes it a viable pick for a lot of runs, instead of being nothing but a weird tear modifier.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Psychedelicatessen posted:

Yeah, adding +1 damage and -1 luck makes it a viable pick for a lot of runs, instead of being nothing but a weird tear modifier.

Thing is they really changed how the boomerang effect of the tears work, and it ends up feeling way more fun and pleasing with the pattern/route they take. It stuns me to see an OG item suddenly become more thematic and finally enjoyable to take.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Black August posted:

Thing is they really changed how the boomerang effect of the tears work, and it ends up feeling way more fun and pleasing with the pattern/route they take. It stuns me to see an OG item suddenly become more thematic and finally enjoyable to take.

Still sucks bc you'll inevitably take a mystery item and get ipecac or fetus

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

PantsBandit posted:

Still sucks bc you'll inevitably take a mystery item and get ipecac or fetus

Honestly at this point if I do get one of those I accept it since it's so incredibly low probability these days, and just roll with the suicide run
Isaac has become one of the most immaculate no-stress games I've ever played after 11 years of this nonsense

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

It stunned me because in OG Rebirth, My Reflection was my #2 least favorite item, after Tiny Planet. Now, it's just good? It increased my range instead of drastically decreasing it, and didn't gently caress up my ability to aim the way it used to. And you get a good damage boost (at the cost of luck, but still worth it). Biggest buff in Repentance, at least as far as I've noticed.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

If it's any consolation tiny planet is still poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Knight
May 31, 2011

Nothing like firing up Isaac for the first time in months, deciding to knock out some Tainted Keeper marks, buying Tech X on floor 1 and cruising through the golden Boss Rush/Hush/Chest/Mega Satan/Delirium run. drat that character is fun!