Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

pixaal posted:

Yeah but he's a cop, just wait for it....

i mean he got wierdly possessive and stalky in the first episode he was in and then said some chuddy poo poo about isnt it good to know people know how to stay together about taking sam to an old person dance. i would not be suprised if he
turns out as insane as her previous heart of darkness episode ex fiance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

In the middle of my backswing?!?!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

snergle posted:

i mean he got wierdly possessive and stalky in the first episode he was in and then said some chuddy poo poo about isnt it good to know people know how to stay together about taking sam to an old person dance. i would not be suprised if he
turns out as insane as her previous heart of darkness episode ex fiance.

All of sam's relationships are proper hosed up, the writers do some real strange stuff

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

All of sam's relationships are proper hosed up, the writers do some real strange stuff

Yep, name one that is good.

The only one that makes any sense is with Jack and that's just wrong. Duty and all that.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

In the middle of my backswing?!?!

speaking of that episode the last one i watched was the one where tealc is in the video game that learns. and he has to sort of groundhogs day his way through but he cant beat it alone and daniel goes in with cheatmode enable to save him and they barely win

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

speaking of that episode the last one i watched was the one where tealc is in the video game that learns. and he has to sort of groundhogs day his way through but he cant beat it alone and daniel goes in with cheatmode enable to save him and they barely win

Love that episode, but then, truly, I love all of SG1.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yep, name one that is good.

The only one that makes any sense is with Jack and that's just wrong. Duty and all that.

I honestly don't like he with Jack either, I don't feel like it works
It's not creepy at least!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

I honestly don't like he with Jack either, I don't feel like it works
It's not creepy at least!

IF I had to ship Sam, I guess it would be with Nareem from the Tollan. He's a good guy.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

IF I had to ship Sam, I guess it would be with Nareem from the Tollan. He's a good guy.

uhm he's married to dr weir

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

uhm he's married to dr weir

Such a weird casting. You could hire anyone for Weir's husband. And you cast Nareem?

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

Was it ever clarified if he (or the Tollan in general) survived the Goauld attack on their home planet? Been a while since I last rewatched the series, and I'm probably screwing up the spelling here

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Also Team Jack for life, kick duty to the curb

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Bjork Bjowlob posted:

Was it ever clarified if he (or the Tollan in general) survived the Goauld attack on their home planet? Been a while since I last rewatched the series, and I'm probably screwing up the spelling here

As far as I know there is no reported Tollan survivors.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

redshirt posted:

Dang, RIP. But also Nareem was a bit of a dick for not sharing the quantum mechanic secret with Sam, so

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

redshirt posted:

youre correct. they were wiped out when anubis attacked them for betraying him with putting the nuke t hrough the stargate.

Leandros
Dec 14, 2008

The extended universe has another colony of Tollans, if you want to count that. Even if you don't I find it strange to assume all of them were incapable of hiding from the mothership anubis sent. Even in the episode that kills them off you see how tiny Hatak cannon explosions are. Now multiply it by a whole world of surface area.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

snergle posted:

youre correct. they were wiped out when anubis attacked them for betraying him with putting the nuke t hrough the stargate.

Given that we see the second Tollan homeworld (The first is already wiped out when we first meet them), it seems highly likely there were Tollan colonies on other worlds that survived Anubis attacck, and continued Tollan society.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I'm about at the same place as Snergle in my watch, and agreed that Pete is the worst. Sam Carter is the smartest person on earth, the most overall capable person on the show, and totally gorgeous. Her with a lowly police officer, Pete - is disgraceful. The alternate version had her dating the ambassador for Earth!

I think overall they handle the Jack/Samantha relationship pretty well, it's baited a bit but there's nothing too outrageous, particularly for the era the show was made. I appreciate that they never even hint at any feelings between Sam/Daniel, which would make sense on paper as they're huge nerds. Daniel is too busy pining for his Gou'ld exes and loving the locals offworld I suppose.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

I'm about at the same place as Snergle in my watch, and agreed that Pete is the worst. Sam Carter is the smartest person on earth, the most overall capable person on the show, and totally gorgeous. Her with a lowly police officer, Pete - is disgraceful. The alternate version had her dating the ambassador for Earth!

I think overall they handle the Jack/Samantha relationship pretty well, it's baited a bit but there's nothing too outrageous, particularly for the era the show was made. I appreciate that they never even hint at any feelings between Sam/Daniel, which would make sense on paper as they're huge nerds. Daniel is too busy pining for his Gou'ld exes and loving the locals offworld I suppose.

I want to like Pete a lot as a fail guy who's punching way above his league.

But that whole stalking Sam thing just ruined him for me as a character.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

As a failure with a very successful partner, so do I!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

well why not posted:

As a failure with a very successful partner, so do I!

lol tell me your wife is into deep space telemetry without saying your wife is into deep space telemetry

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Leandros posted:

The extended universe has another colony of Tollans, if you want to count that. Even if you don't I find it strange to assume all of them were incapable of hiding from the mothership anubis sent. Even in the episode that kills them off you see how tiny Hatak cannon explosions are. Now multiply it by a whole world of surface area.

Every other society in the shows is a single city near the stargate, so the tollans are hosed.
I guess there's a few exceptions where they're a few continents that are at war with each other but those are quite rare.

redshirt posted:

Such a weird casting. You could hire anyone for Weir's husband. And you cast Nareem?

Stargate doesn't recast humans as humans LOADS but between Atlantis and SG1 there's a few recasts. I guess they expect that by then you've forgotten but I think using a regular recurring actor as a different also-human actor was a bit silly

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There's only so many actors in the greater Vancouver area, I get it, but for a bit part like Weir's husband, c'mon, cast some nobody. Not Nareem!

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

There's only so many actors in the greater Vancouver area, I get it, but for a bit part like Weir's husband, c'mon, cast some nobody. Not Nareem!

I said it in the TVIV thread but the maddest thing to me is how every non-warrior wraith is the same person.
In Atlantis series 1/2 it's one guy then 3/4/5 they've got two guys although one is more backgroundy and only does it occasionally.

Every queen is the same one person. Every single queen.

And I feel like I'd have taken it as a deliberate choice but they never mention it or anything. When you're binging the show it's really in your face

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

I said it in the TVIV thread but the maddest thing to me is how every non-warrior wraith is the same person.
In Atlantis series 1/2 it's one guy then 3/4/5 they've got two guys although one is more backgroundy and only does it occasionally.

Every queen is the same one person. Every single queen.

And I feel like I'd have taken it as a deliberate choice but they never mention it or anything. When you're binging the show it's really in your face

lol I never noticed it about the Wraith.

I chuckled though when I read somewhere they hired a lot of CFL guys as Jaffa. Like the show exists as the second career for a bunch of minor league football players.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

lol I never noticed it about the Wraith.

First guy is called James Lazafanos. Every single male non-warrior wraith we see that speaks in series 1/2 is him. Literally every one. I think he even acts against himself once!
Second one is Scott Heindl

There's also a guy called Brendan Parry who plays Todd once or twice (with Christopher Heyerdal still voicing him, dunno why) and then a random wraith as well.

I think it makes Michael stick out loads. Which again maybe it's on purpose? But I feel like if it was they'd have said it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

First guy is called James Lazafanos. Every single male non-warrior wraith we see that speaks in series 1/2 is him. Literally every one. I think he even acts against himself once!
Second one is Scott Heindl

There's also a guy called Brendan Parry who plays Todd once or twice (with Christopher Heyerdal still voicing him, dunno why) and then a random wraith as well.

I think it makes Michael stick out loads. Which again maybe it's on purpose? But I feel like if it was they'd have said it.

I'm watching Atlantis for the first time right now, and I never noticed this, but I will now pay attention.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

I'm watching Atlantis for the first time right now, and I never noticed this, but I will now pay attention.

I stopped watching Atlantis originally in series 2 and watched it sporadically anyway so it was quite hard to notice but doing it now being able to watch them one after another it's really obvious.
Atlantis is such a strange show and honestly now I've just started series 5 I'm saying it's mostly a failure. They just don't know where they wanted to go

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Taear posted:

I stopped watching Atlantis originally in series 2 and watched it sporadically anyway so it was quite hard to notice but doing it now being able to watch them one after another it's really obvious.
Atlantis is such a strange show and honestly now I've just started series 5 I'm saying it's mostly a failure. They just don't know where they wanted to go

I'm enjoying it because of the Stargate concept, but the cast doesn't hold a candle to the SG1 cast. I still actively and sometimes verbally hate Mackay. I feel it's a flaw with myself, seriously, how much I hate his character.

Relatedly, Zelenka should be in charge of all Atlantis tech stuff.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

I'm enjoying it because of the Stargate concept, but the cast doesn't hold a candle to the SG1 cast. I still actively and sometimes verbally hate Mackay. I feel it's a flaw with myself, seriously, how much I hate his character.

Relatedly, Zelenka should be in charge of all Atlantis tech stuff.

Zelenka is amazing and it's genuinely criminal he's never in the main credits. He's in 66 episodes of 99, what the gently caress is going on that they didn't add him?

I guess it feels like they leave a lot of ideas on the floor. The wraith don't ever really make sense in the way the Goa'uld do and that makes them a bad enemy and they don't play with the new stuff they've got. People don't need to live near the stargates and also in many societies we see people go from gate to gate which doesn't really happen in the Milky Way.
But does that go anywhere or mean anything? Nope.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Yeah I'm in like season 3.5 and while I get the Wraith are scary and formidable as villains, there's not much to them. The Goa'uld had individuality, and different circumstances. Ba'al is a completely different kind of villain than Sokar, for example.

The Wraith are just the Wraith. A scary enemy, for sure, but monolithic.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

Yeah I'm in like season 3.5 and while I get the Wraith are scary and formidable as villains, there's not much to them. The Goa'uld had individuality, and different circumstances. Ba'al is a completely different kind of villain than Sokar, for example.

The Wraith are just the Wraith. A scary enemy, for sure, but monolithic.

I feel more like we get the Goa'uld. I know how they work and I know why they work. We've not seen LOADS of their society but you've still had it roughly described.
Meanwhile at the point you're at (and the point I'm at) I still don't even know what a wraith warrior is and why they're different. Or if (for example) the wraith that aren't warriors are immortal. Or what a Wraith Queen does or any of that stuff.

And it doesn't matter loads exactly but you do kinda need a reason for them to be doing what they're doing and the Goa'uld have that reason, the wraith kinda don't. Wraith eat people, cool. But they all woke up and there aren't enough people left and where did that go? Nowhere really, they're still just awake and around. We know they beat the ancients via sheer numbers but we never really get to see that either. There's 60 hive ships?? really?

Especially when (spoiler for a tiny bit further on for you) those beam weapons just gently caress the hive ships right up. How did the ancients not win?

Taear fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 22, 2023

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

How do the Wraith even make Wraith babies, I have no idea.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

redshirt posted:

When one Iratus bug loves a human face very very much...

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

It legit never tells us this.

there's an episode in a wraith cloning facility where they tell us this is how they defeated the ancients, they cloned a shitload of wraith warriors. But warriors are just mooks, you'd need ships, how does that work at all?
And then it's really kinda pointing out and reminding you that we don't know how the wraith work.

Around that episode Todd says "there's even hives without queens". Cool. What does a queen do, what does that mean? Dunno.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

redshirt posted:

Mike Dopud was busy that day

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

And it could have been any old former SG1 character, but the alien who is puppy dog in love with Sam and it's a plot point, that's the guy you cast??

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I just learned from some random Season 9 or 10 episode that Teal'c and Siler spar regularly, and I love it.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

redshirt posted:

I just learned from some random Season 9 or 10 episode that Teal'c and Siler spar regularly, and I love it.

Siler and Harriman must loving love SG1
Both set for life by it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

LOL the freaking Lucian Alliance. Are you kidding me??