Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

God complexes steeped in loud megalomania are old and tired.
God complexes based in the purity of research and the elegance of petals on the wind are top tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Milli posted:

God complexes steeped in loud megalomania are old and tired.
God complexes based in the purity of research and the elegance of petals on the wind are top tier.
The complex houses married and single gods and their families.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Meowywitch posted:

Where's fu hua

many people are asking

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I'd cackle if we get Fu Hua but she ends up being more Senti than Fu Hua

Also interesting take on Mei that feels unique from the Dr Mei from HI3

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
If she does become an Aeon though, what would distinguish her from the Erudition? Or maybe she'll just eat them.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
I’d assume we’ll get more of it tied into the next SU expac, and I am extremely excited. I was going to roll on her design but now I’m rolling because her personality is my jam, and not what I expected.

e; based on her dialogue about deconstructing beauty, touching permanence, etc. I think she intends to absorb other paths by embodying a broader core concept that includes them, similar to what happened with Xipe overwhelming Ena’s path.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Dec 22, 2023

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Ruan Mei's thing is about making new life, if she becomes an Aeon she'll probably be The Creation or something like that. Or maybe she'll just take up the mantle of Propagation.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

https://twitter.com/hxg_diluc/status/1738054802473656715

some pretty interesting stuff in the gaming regulations for china (banning gacha for minors, and ingame gacha objects need to be obtainable through ingame methods, etc.)

this is currently in the "collecting feedback" stage and not final as I understand it. forcing MHY to move back towards farmable characters like in HI3 would be cool imo, ive missed that feature in their newer games.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

blizzardvizard posted:

Ruan Mei's thing is about making new life, if she becomes an Aeon she'll probably be The Creation or something like that. Or maybe she'll just take up the mantle of Propagation.

My understanding of her monologue was that the new life she was creating was herself, as an Aeon. Which is why she was interested in "dissecting" all the dead Aeons to see what makes them tick. She explicitly has no interest whatsoever in life in general.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Radical posted:

this is currently in the "collecting feedback" stage and not final as I understand it. forcing MHY to move back towards farmable characters like in HI3 would be cool imo, ive missed that feature in their newer games.

Collecting F2P currency to spend on the gacha is technically obtainable with in-game methods. Sounds like a ban specifically on premium currency, which the game does actually use but not for anything interesting.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

Clarste posted:

Collecting F2P currency to spend on the gacha is technically obtainable with in-game methods. Sounds like a ban specifically on premium currency, which the game does actually use but not for anything interesting.

quote:

Random drawing services are not allowed to be provided to minors

When online game publishing business units provide random drawing services, they should make reasonable settings for the number of draws and probabilities, and must not induce excessive consumption by online game users. At the same time, users should be provided with other ways to obtain virtual props and value-added services with the same performance, such as virtual prop exchange and direct purchase using online game currency.

the issue seems to be that minors will not be able to use the gacha at all, so they're also ruling that there needs to be some way to get those gacha materials without being able to access it rather than telling them tough luck before they're 18.

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Where's fu hua

If you catch up on HI3, the current arc is a Fu Hua Solo Arc, to the extent that the "team" they have you play for the story levels is just Fu Hua hotswapping three battlesuits. Also fully confirmed "Fu Hua is the real Sherlock Holmes" for main universe, and gave us a child Otto for Moriarty. (He is the most entertaining villain in any Hoyo game since Otto died.) Also Fu Hua's Final Form next update, and the previous arc had a lot of Senti. She has a date planned later with Other Seele.

(Note: this is not counting today's update, which I assume is still The Fu Hua show, but I like to wait for 2/3 of the chapter to be out and the last 1/3 to be soon.)

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Without daily login “rewards” it would potentially affect stamina use (among other things), but I guess it depends how savvy they are about what logging in daily to a gacha actually means for players.

Getting rid of bonuses for top ups is going to be poo poo though for people who get them once a year, since that currency seems harder to redistribute to players vs. something like a monthly pass. It could actually incentivize heavier spending.

Idk there is so much baked into gachas revolving around playing daily (if not logging in multiple times per day) that it could either help the genre or completely gently caress it for a lot of the player base. And CN doesn’t have a good record dealing with them not having something that global has (see HI3 bunnygate as one example) so who knows of global players would retain current price/daily models compared to CN.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Okay Ruan Mei is cool and that’s an unexpected twist to her personality and end goals. You ascend to godhood and hopefully eat whatever Aeon might challenge you, girl.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

"Reward" me, Ruan Mei

i find it hard to fit harmony characters in my roster though.

like Tinygun and Bronya are just so simple and easy to use.

then Ruan Mei comes and does all sorts of stuff that's harder to calculate over "does x more damage"

oh, and obvious, but the art style in the character trailer was cool

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

rio posted:

Without daily login “rewards” it would potentially affect stamina use (among other things), but I guess it depends how savvy they are about what logging in daily to a gacha actually means for players.

Getting rid of bonuses for top ups is going to be poo poo though for people who get them once a year, since that currency seems harder to redistribute to players vs. something like a monthly pass. It could actually incentivize heavier spending.

Idk there is so much baked into gachas revolving around playing daily (if not logging in multiple times per day) that it could either help the genre or completely gently caress it for a lot of the player base. And CN doesn’t have a good record dealing with them not having something that global has (see HI3 bunnygate as one example) so who knows of global players would retain current price/daily models compared to CN.

Hey maybe they'd up the amount of currency you buy in the current packs to make up for losi

I can't finish that statement with a straight face. If this all gets implemented it's a major shake up in the market so it will be interesting to see what changes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Clarste posted:

My understanding of her monologue was that the new life she was creating was herself, as an Aeon. Which is why she was interested in "dissecting" all the dead Aeons to see what makes them tick. She explicitly has no interest whatsoever in life in general.

Yeah there's a bit in there where she talks about how when she found out how easy it was for her to create a whole new planet she was already bored and disinterested. She doesn't give a poo poo about creating mundane life because it's already trivial for her giant genius gigabrain even as a mere mortal.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

Ytlaya posted:

Gepard reads younger to me, like late 20s at most. Serval seems older, at least early 30s.

Serval is the oldest of the siblings, right?

Ah. I've made a fatal mistake with reading Serval. Ouch.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clarste posted:

So for Hoyo's case, that would mean that they would have to provide a way for you to purchase F2P currency and alt costumes without having to exchange money with them first. So if anything this would mean that you would just be taken to your device's marketplace instead of doing it in-game like you can currently.

Radical posted:

the issue seems to be that minors will not be able to use the gacha at all, so they're also ruling that there needs to be some way to get those gacha materials without being able to access it rather than telling them tough luck before they're 18.

Hmm. So basically they would have to provide a way to obtain characters/weapons/whatever throughout the game at all times.

This part actually seems significant

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Clarste posted:

I personally didn't get the sense that she's not interested in life "in general", sure she's probably not gonna be the classical Mother Nature-like entity that births all creation or whatever, but I think she's still interested in understanding the concept of life itself. She was disappointed that cultivating a living planet was easy, not that she wasn't interested to create life to begin with. All the experiments weren't just a means to an end of becoming an Aeon, becoming an Aeon is part of her research into what type of a lifeform an Aeon is and whether their blueprint can be reproduced.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I mean, ultimately she's a biologist who got bored with ordinary life and moved on to super-life, ie: Aeons. Her motivation is simple curiosity mixed with probably a little disappointment in her own biological, ie: impure, nature. Thus, she idolizes the "purity" of an Aeon, which act without crude survival instincts or self-interest. I don't see her ever going back to tinkering with normal life because what's the point? Why would she bother?

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I'm not saying she's going back to normal lifeforms either, the original topic was what type of Aeon would she become/what kind of concept she would embody, and I just think she would still embody something adjacent to the idea of creating something. Maybe she'll create more Aeons on her own if/when she becomes one, who knows.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I suppose. It's not like becoming an Aeon is her goal either, that's more just an interesting step she might take on the way to understanding them.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That said, since 3/4 of the Aeons she talks about dissecting are dead or missing, I also have to wonder if she's a god serial killer.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

GateOfD posted:

then Ruan Mei comes and does all sorts of stuff that's harder to calculate over "does x more damage"

Hoyo was afraid her gimmick was too niche so they pumped her full of passive buffs so you don't have to think about anything with her anymore. Just pump her full of Break Effect relics and level her traces and you can assume you'll get massive team buffs just for her existing in your party.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I feel like her own gimmicky break damage will likely pale in comparison to the straightforward buffs she gives the team. Like, Bronya and Tingyun are far more complicated to calculate the value of, because of the weirdness of turn acceleration and Ult energy, respectively.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

Clarste posted:

I mean, ultimately she's a biologist who got bored with ordinary life and moved on to super-life, ie: Aeons. Her motivation is simple curiosity mixed with probably a little disappointment in her own biological, ie: impure, nature. Thus, she idolizes the "purity" of an Aeon, which act without crude survival instincts or self-interest. I don't see her ever going back to tinkering with normal life because what's the point? Why would she bother?

Ruan Mei is a Xianzhou, isn't she? I wonder if she's actually experiencing a more subdued version of mara-struck. Could just be "Mad Scientist Madness" that seems to affect all the Genius Society members eventually, but it is interesting we're getting miss wannabe-god at the tail end of 1.x, which was all about exploring the Xianzhou culture and their hosed up immortal elf psyches.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Edit: nvm

Bad Video Games fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 22, 2023

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Radical posted:

https://twitter.com/hxg_diluc/status/1738054802473656715

some pretty interesting stuff in the gaming regulations for china (banning gacha for minors, and ingame gacha objects need to be obtainable through ingame methods, etc.)

Honestly doubt its going to do much in the states but the "Everything can be obtainable in game" will hopefully lead to better Eidolon / Constellation system for 5*. It is the one thing in these games that I find egregious

Kale
May 14, 2010

Zenless Zone Zero put out a character trailer today too. Hoyo's put out like 5 trailers in the past 2 weeks I think. One for the 1.6 patch for HSR, one for the 4.3 patch for Genshin, 1 Myriad Celestia for HSR, one Nicole trailer for ZZZ, and 2 character trailers for Navia for Genshin.

Also Ruan Mei seems to continue the trend of the last 3 female characters having ASMR voices in Japanese only she seems to have it in English too.

That China policy draft thing almost sounds specifically targeted at Hoyo game business models. You almost have to wonder sometimes if Tencent is lobbying the government on these things and writing the legislation like often happens in America especially.

e: Actually 6 trailers since I forgot the Fu Hua one from 3rd. So in February theres the Penacony chapter for HSR starting, Lantern Rite and new region for Genshin, Mars Saga and a complete revamp of Honkai 3rd and ZZZ launches sometime in 2024 as well. Busy year.

Kale fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 22, 2023

Kale
May 14, 2010

Oh apparently Tencent stock crashes like 16% on the announcement so guess not on them being behind it. I thought most of their games only had in app purchases and didn't use the gacha model.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!
You probably haven't played many gacha games if that legislation seems to you like it's targeting Mihoyo specifically.
This affects tencent probably just as much, but I'm not quite certain what mobile game companies they own. They own clash of clans, but that's a different type of game. They have at least licensed Tower of Fantasy as far as I'm aware, which is much more egregious about premium currencies than Mihoyos games tend to be. Nikke seems to be owned by one of tencents companies according to some cursory googling. And while I don't really know anything about Nikkes gacha systems, it does turn up as a big earner in the mobile gaming space. As far as I'm aware tencent has been under regulatory scrutiny by antitrust laws in china as well, so it's not like they get a free pass on everything.
It's just regulations for mobile gaming in general.

It's unclear whether this would affect the global clients at all, even. They wouldn't necessarily be needed to comply with chinese regulations in their other targeted markets.
And without knowing the specific wording, I'm not certain whether, for example, Honkais current system would fall under it.
You can "technically" grind for limited exclusive gacha equipment in that game, or get limited characters off the battlepass. It just takes months and years to get anywhere with that.

I don't think they are going to flip everything upside down. They've even been hesitant and careful with much smaller changes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Like every other time there's been regulations like this, it'd be pretty easy to work around it. For instance, 'all items need to be obtainable by non-gacha methods.'

Well, Genshin and Star Rail already have hard pity. Just let you directly buy the character for like 100 rolls worth of gems. You can get gems in-game without paying.

Likewise, 'no daily login rewards,' just have the rewards mailed to the player even if they don't log in that day, or make them do some extremely small task (since this doesn't ban daily missions, just daily login rewards.)

No top-up bonuses, just sell new packs that are once-per-year rather than having them be bonuses to the standard buying.

ETC. It probably won't affect anything. Gacha stuff is a lot of what's keeping the Chinese games industry afloat, since they still haven't built up to a point where they could crank out AAA type-stuff regularly. The government has no real interest in actually destroying gacha, they just want to make it look like they're doing stuff because parents are complaining.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 22, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Kale posted:

Oh apparently Tencent stock crashes like 16% on the announcement so guess not on them being behind it. I thought most of their games only had in app purchases and didn't use the gacha model.

tencent makes a ton of gacha lol

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Gacha is everywhere lol

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

gacha, which was invented by mihoyo

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Kale posted:

Also Ruan Mei seems to continue the trend of the last 3 female characters having ASMR voices in Japanese only she seems to have it in English too.

I didn't think could like this character less.

I hope everyone who wants her gets her, though. :D

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

Almost finished farming her mats

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Captain France posted:

She also used to be Cocolia's classmate and bestie, and Cocolia is old enough to have an adult kid, although I suppose with Bronya being adopted that could shave off a few years.

cocolia was serval's bestie that she would bring home for Christmas multiple years in a row

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kale
May 14, 2010

Bad Video Games posted:

I didn't think could like this character less.

I hope everyone who wants her gets her, though. :D

You seem a bit outsider the wheelhouse of the kind of character gacha game players usually get excited for to be fair.

Endorph posted:

Like every other time there's been regulations like this, it'd be pretty easy to work around it. For instance, 'all items need to be obtainable by non-gacha methods.'

Well, Genshin and Star Rail already have hard pity. Just let you directly buy the character for like 100 rolls worth of gems. You can get gems in-game without paying.

Likewise, 'no daily login rewards,' just have the rewards mailed to the player even if they don't log in that day, or make them do some extremely small task (since this doesn't ban daily missions, just daily login rewards.)

No top-up bonuses, just sell new packs that are once-per-year rather than having them be bonuses to the standard buying.

ETC. It probably won't affect anything. Gacha stuff is a lot of what's keeping the Chinese games industry afloat, since they still haven't built up to a point where they could crank out AAA type-stuff regularly. The government has no real interest in actually destroying gacha, they just want to make it look like they're doing stuff because parents are complaining.

Thats kind of what I figure. Usually its a lot of posturing to demonstrate there commitment to Xi's Great Society or whatever the gently caress he's calling his cultural reform policy then they forget to enforce it mostly like how characters that look like Venti are supposed to be banned but Lyney was implemented with zero issue for example. Free doomposting for "content creators" though of course.

Kale fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Dec 22, 2023