Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: OwlFancier)

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

kecske posted:

its (allegedly) about perceived unfair advantage, although nobody ever gave a hot gay gently caress that michael phelps was racking up the golds with more cheat code advantages than anyone. Including but not limited to having a body that was observed to produce only half as much lactic acid as any peer athletes, massively reducing fatigue and recovery times in comparison.

Unless you're Caster Semenya then they care about finding a way to stop your unfair advantage.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I don't think sports are pointless and I do value competition but I think worrying about transpeople in sports is like at the figure this out later end of the scale due to the numbers involved suggested earlier.

And by figure it out later I mean once you've figured out to respect people for who and what they identify as, cos probably once you've done that, the sporting rulebook edits are a much less difficult task.

Yeah I think there are bigger things we need to look at as well and, remembering I am a cis male, I wouldn't complain if they decided to shelve trans women's involvement in women's sports until they sorted those issues out.

Ms Adequate posted:

It's an effective wedge issue because it feels like it makes sense, and you can twist it so you feel like it's not a contradiction to say you support trans people but this is a special area that needs special consideration. Without knowing some of the effects of things like HRT it's understandable that some people would think "Trans women have an advantage because of their bone structure/male muscles/etc" and not realize that things are far more complex than that.

It's depressing that it has been blown up into such a large issue as if it dominates all trans discourse.

Nintendo Sixty-FOOOOOOOOOOUR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

fuctifino posted:

:toot: The govt have rolled back plans to raise the salary threshold for foreign dependants

edit: oh it's still going up to £29k though, which is ridiculous

Convex fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 21, 2023

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Not only does Michael Phelps get a pass, but inversely female athletes have always been punished for excellence, such as the creation of female leagues allowing vastly more funds to be siphoned to male leagues, or women just being banned from competing for their own natural advantages: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/07/two-cis-black-women-banned-olympics-natural-testosterone-levels/

There's a much wider conversation on sex-segregated sports to be had that would naturally include the place of trans people anyway, but regardless, anyone who suddenly decided that fairness in women's sports was the most important thing in the world after flatly ignoring it for their entire lives is a disingenuous prick who doesn't actually give a poo poo about the subject and only wants a stick to beat trans people with, so even if there's a salient debate to be had their opinions on the subject are quite literally worthless. So bluntly they can take the half-formed opinions they suddenly decided to have and gently caress off on the horse they rode in on.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sinky posted:

Pretty hosed up that someone can get an indefinite hospital order for hacking

x

I wonder why they might be violent while held in custody :iiam:

:lol: :science:

Also :jerkbag: at the judge for trying to make people care that some videogame clips got leaked / cost four companies an entire £10m. Nvidia alone made $4billion in profit this year.

There seems to be a lot of other stuff they did that harmed real people. So yeah. They need to be held to account.

Maybe we could have just pushed him over and yelled wasted at him over and over though

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Being fair breaching it by pointing a bunch of Frenchmen at the Nazis seems like a pretty low mark on a person's record.

Yeah, it's a funny anecdote rather than an outrage, I just saw it on his wiki page and had to share

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

kinda feel that in a game that kind of thing shouldn't be an issue, given that the problem was misappropriating the red cross

but then I guess I'm a stickler for the spirit of laws rather than the letter

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the original Cannon Fodder got complaints about the same thing like 30 years ago.

The red cross gets very protective of its trademark.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

i guess to be fair to them it is one that kinda matters

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

a lot of ruthless dictators, rogue states and completely respectable g8 countries have used the excuse that some computer games have really obfuscated whose a viable target in a warzone these days.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Doom also had problems with it IIRC - direct ports are still able to use the original red cross, but any new version where they have changed the graphics substantially, they've apparently had to change it to a green cross (or a pill in the N64 port, which is by far the weirdest version).

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
HoI4 used the red cross on the pic of medical equipment. I think it took about 2 years for the Red Cross to notice and email the company though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I hope I can post about Hasbro getting sued cos of Ratchet having red crosses on his shoulders before some other nerd gets there first

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

sinky posted:

Pretty hosed up that someone can get an indefinite hospital order for hacking

x

I wonder why they might be violent while held in custody :iiam:

:lol: :science:

Also :jerkbag: at the judge for trying to make people care that some videogame clips got leaked / cost four companies an entire £10m. Nvidia alone made $4billion in profit this year.

Speaking as someone with autism bad enough that when I tried to live a normal life with a job and apartment I ended up in an emergency psychiatric hospital: this kid was living in a Travelodge so he clearly has no support network. An indefinite hospital order might be the healthiest place for him, considering he's destroying other peoples lives as well as his own.

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

OwlFancier posted:

I think the original Cannon Fodder got complaints about the same thing like 30 years ago.

It was about the game using poppy related imagery on the cover, so they were forced to add a disclaimer that they weren't endorsed by the Royal British Legion.

The anti-war message of the game seems to have eluded them.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/SolHughesWriter/status/1737974475709145130?t=8YDE0gd7GppRHwZbakAdoA&s=19

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

bessantj posted:

One of the examples that the YouTuber used was a trans woman breaking the leg of a cis woman during rugby training, when he said that I had to give up on the video. I had payed rugby, in various forms, for nearly 20 years I've seen people break bones during training, I've gotten a bad injury in training. It felt like a very disingenuous thing to bring up.

I think if these commentators were making this argument from a position of genuine concern for players and interest in the sport, they would find time to discuss how streaming kids into rugby teams by age is a really bad idea, especially during the years of puberty which people experience at different rates.
Actual rugby coaches certainly have a lot to say about how streaming by body mass can make it a safer game for young people.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

this has already been deleted, whatever it was

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Not only does Michael Phelps get a pass, but inversely female athletes have always been punished for excellence, such as the creation of female leagues allowing vastly more funds to be siphoned to male leagues, or women just being banned from competing for their own natural advantages: https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2021/07/two-cis-black-women-banned-olympics-natural-testosterone-levels/

There's a much wider conversation on sex-segregated sports to be had that would naturally include the place of trans people anyway, but regardless, anyone who suddenly decided that fairness in women's sports was the most important thing in the world after flatly ignoring it for their entire lives is a disingenuous prick who doesn't actually give a poo poo about the subject and only wants a stick to beat trans people with, so even if there's a salient debate to be had their opinions on the subject are quite literally worthless. So bluntly they can take the half-formed opinions they suddenly decided to have and gently caress off on the horse they rode in on.

To say nothing of the fact a lot of women's sports got hived off after integrated sports started to result in a bunch of women beating men, and BOY is that something a bunch of men couldn't tolerate!

I agree with the second paragraph as well, but their nonsense in this regard does do a particularly good job of highlighting how their 'feminism' is both misogynistic and racist as all hell.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ms Adequate posted:

Issuing an update on my previous post, some of you very much do hear about Toyah Wilcox anymore.

Apparently Toyah just won "Sewing Bee" & "everyone" is slagging her off on twitter.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Angepain posted:

this has already been deleted, whatever it was

Shame, it was funny. But I can't do ut justice from memory

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Apparently Toyah just won "Sewing Bee" & "everyone" is slagging her off on twitter.

How ironic, that I would mention her obscurity and be proven wrong within mere weeks...

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

Worms Armageddon is getting away with it to this day

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Pistol_Pete posted:

I tried to read Farewell to Arms but he kept using 'thee' and 'thou' to try and give a sense of Spanish language in English and I found it really irritating.

Mine was "For Whom The Bell Tolls", and that was a big annoyance for me too!

Funnily enough, "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is my favourite Metallica song.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Dead Goon posted:

Mine was "For Whom The Bell Tolls", and that was a big annoyance for me too!

Funnily enough, "For Whom The Bell Tolls" is my favourite Metallica song.

That was the first thing I ever heard by Metallica back in the 80s, it blew me away, so heavy compared to anything else at the time, and I became a thrasher instantly.
Fk me that song will be 40 next year! Older than some of you guys!
:corsair:

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Dec 22, 2023

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Off-topic somewhat but mein Gott the state of news sites for mobile these days, whether it's clickbait poo poo like gamingbible or clickbait poo poo but evil like The Sun

Opening paragraph, advert, banner ad parked on the bottom of your screen, you scroll down past an ad and an autoplaying video ad tries to load in.

Thank gently caress Firefox mobile allows uBlock.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tigey posted:

It was about the game using poppy related imagery on the cover, so they were forced to add a disclaimer that they weren't endorsed by the Royal British Legion.

The anti-war message of the game seems to have eluded them.

Oh yeah that was it wasn't it? Got my wires crossed.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Fk me that song will be 40 next year! Older than some of you guys!
:corsair:

This must be the equivalent of celebrating DooM's 30th :corsair:

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Did someone mention music and then DooM?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcEVvIwpel0

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Oh yeah that was it wasn't it? Got my wires crossed.

Hope it wasn't the red wire you crossed, they don't like that

Tesseraction posted:

Wrong doom, try this: https://youtu.be/k46C5_Y9Ybc?si=esE3cklKz1EhS5xX

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

Tesseraction posted:

Unicorn is SUCH a good loving album, came out just before my birthday too, unbelievably based times for me.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

The important question of the day:

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rappaport posted:

This must be the equivalent of celebrating DooM's 30th :corsair:

First year of uni 1995.
Needed a PC for my course.
Saw an ad for a cheap one, contacted the guy, went to his house where he was selling them from his shed.
He said he didn't have the 100Mhz one I wanted, but he will give me a 90Hz and throw in a few installed games.
I took it, and one of those games was Doom.
Holy gently caress.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Reminde me of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iTuDvk45Qk

Zalakwe
Jun 4, 2007
Likes Cake, Hates Hamsters

forkboy84 posted:

Hope it wasn't the red wire you crossed, they don't like that

Wrong doom, try this: https://youtu.be/k46C5_Y9Ybc?si=esE3cklKz1EhS5xX

ALL CAPS OR GO HOME https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2sSx6FNz80

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
ALL COPS GO HOME

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Ms Adequate posted:

Unicorn is SUCH a good loving album, came out just before my birthday too, unbelievably based times for me.

Yeah, bought the album and shirt combo. Blood for the Blood God gave me some old Sybreed vibes with its electronic double-kick breakdown.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Tories are going to be keeping the benefit cap at the current level in April. What cunts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

The important question of the day:

Mason knows which one gets him erect