Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022
no goal/assist this year so far. he's making nicolas pépé look like a great signing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

tristeham posted:

no goal/assist this year so far. he's making nicolas pépé look like a great signing
yeah i don’t know how he’s managed to be a worse signing than pepe. high bar to clear

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
He’s starting to rival Bebé

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Antony's biggest sin is that he's proving something that Michael Owen said to be correct.

He's a position-less player without a role. I don't know what Antony brings to you as a footballer on a football team.

He looks like someone who has just gone through life being sporty enough to end up doing something in sport and it just so happens to be football. You could stick Antony in any other sport - literally any - and get the same basic output (nothing) while also not looking that out of place while he's doing it.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

He's a very high work rate left-footed right winger whose end product has slipped when going into a stronger league. Hopefully he gets that part going, because the rest is pretty drat good.

J Hume
Apr 23, 2013

What is the best number?

Bumhead posted:

...sporty enough to end up doing something in sport and it just so happens to be football.

Perfect way to describe a professional footballer who can't kick the ball with both feet.

The only thing holding him back from scoring 15 per season is that he doesn't use his right foot. It means he only ever has two options -- cut inside or backwards pass -- and it only takes two players to press him. He doesn't need to become great with his right foot, but he needs to be able to take the ball down the wing and cross/pass. If he could do that, defenders would have to adjust their positioning against him and suddenly his 'cut inside and shoot' move would have a chance of working. Salah is the perfect example -- mostly scores by cutting in on his left -- but he keeps getting space for those chances because he can also go down the line and shoot/cross with his right.

In summary: 4 tool striker needs to become 5 tool striker

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

TheRat posted:

He's a very high work rate left-footed right winger whose end product has slipped when going into a stronger league. Hopefully he gets that part going, because the rest is pretty drat good.

You make him sound like a dirk kuyt

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

he’s a flat track bully who’s been thoroughly found out and he’s a wrongun to boot

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

TheRat posted:

durrrrrr

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

Lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

jesus WEP posted:

Kudus (signed from Ajax for £34m) has now scored more goals in 21 appearances than Antony (signed from Ajax for £68m) has in 61 appearances

Antony reminds me of a worse version of Quaresma in his wastefulness. At the sametime though Quaresma had more than one trick in his bag and he had more moments of genius than Antony. I would say Quaresma was more frustrating to watch because he would always try to beat his man no matter what which caused him to lose the ball more and he would never pass + overdo it.

But like TheRat said, Antony does work his rear end off, which compared to someone like Rashford has endeared him to some United fans.

But are you getting a attacking winger for just workrate? To me he seems like a flop or he came to the prem too early before he could improve his skills, his weakfoot but the lad can work and seems to have decent mental.

Off the pitch, is another story...

Ulio fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 22, 2023

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020
Sometimes you get Suarez, sometimes you get afonso Alves

The Dutch league is a land of contrasts

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

TheRat posted:

lol

Granted I haven't watched much chelsea this season, but I'd rather have mudryk than antony which is funny

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

I'm not sure anything in that article is new, it was fully public knowledge that Ajax demanded silly money after United took their manager and best centre-back and then showed up a week before the season started and asked for their best winger as well

and apparently the entire scouting operation is just asking Ten Hag if he knows any lads who like football and are free on Saturday

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

cagliostr0 posted:

Sometimes you get Suarez, sometimes you get afonso Alves

The Dutch league is a land of contrasts

I always say this, Bundesliga and Dutch league have the most one season wonders. The leagues are not known for great defense, so sometimes you get the right player with the right teams and right time. Then you get Afonso Alves, Grafite, Ibisivic, Janssen(one who went to spurs), Dolberg.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread
jozy altidore was more productive during the year az finished 10th compared with anthony's combined two seasons playing for 1st placed ajax. he's dogshit and i hope he has a long career at manu.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

ozmunkeh posted:

jozy altidore was more productive during the year az finished 10th compared with anthony's combined two seasons playing for 1st placed ajax. he's dogshit and i hope he has a long career at manu.

Jozy Altidore cost Sunderland €10m and scored 3 goals, or €3.3m per goal. Antony cost Manchester United €95m plus another €5m in add-ons and has scored 8 goals, or between €11.9 and €12.5m per goal.

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

an absolute bargain. more please!

Mainwaring
Jun 22, 2007

Disco is not dead! Disco is LIFE!

Do utd recruit badly, or do we actively make good players worse when they arrive. Who can say.

If Antony has such good defensive work rate maybe he should just play right back idk.

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive

jesus WEP posted:

he’s a flat track bully who’s been thoroughly found out and he’s a wrongun to boot

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1738234732322689128?t=wdPy1ZSv1A02CwSjdhtDrA&s=19

Lmao. United get a food safety score worse than a dodgy fried chicken shop.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

vyelkin posted:

Jozy Altidore cost Sunderland €10m and scored 3 goals, or €3.3m per goal. Antony cost Manchester United €95m plus another €5m in add-ons and has scored 8 goals, or between €11.9 and €12.5m per goal.

MAJOR IMPROVEMENT NECESSARY

Backdoor Delivery
Nov 15, 2004

one cool dude

2 Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Bumhead posted:

He looks like someone who has just gone through life being sporty enough to end up doing something in sport and it just so happens to be football. You could stick Antony in any other sport - literally any - and get the same basic output (nothing) while also not looking that out of place while he's doing it.

lol what is this post
He's a left-footed right-winger who excelled in the Eredivisie, has gotten multiple caps for Brazil, but has struggled in the Premier League. It's not that deep.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Food hygiene rating 1: bald fraud

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
Imao

https://twitter.com/MikeKeegan_DM/status/1738239982202954162

Wazzerphuk
Feb 9, 2001

Hating Chelsea before it was cool
Winner of the PWM POTM for September
Winner of the PWM POTM for January
Co-Winner of the PWM POTM for March

T Bowl
Feb 6, 2006

Shut up DUMMY

TheRat posted:

His cocky spin move is hilarious with how poo poo he's been.

I'm loling right now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:captainpop:

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

It’s beautiful

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

The amount of rats in that stadium is amazing, and that's not even counting their rodent infestation

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

"feed the scousers" "eating rats in your council house" gently caress off you can't even keep your stadium clean

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Who would be the pied piper in the David Squires cartoon of the rat event

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008