Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Nodoze posted:

Cease had a 97 ERA+ last year, 2022 definitely looks to be a massive outlier.

The only person in the org I trust to do their job well is Matt Blake, so putting a guy with those pitch traits in his hands seems like a worthy gamble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Gerrit Cole seems like a touchy, vindictive prick so I actually kind of get the unwillingness to pay Yamamoto more, you have to keep the marriage you already have healthy before looking for another partner.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

gently caress players feelings. What is he gonna intentionally pitch worse because someone else got more money than him?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Carlosologist posted:

The only person in the org I trust to do their job well is Matt Blake, so putting a guy with those pitch traits in his hands seems like a worthy gamble

What the pricetag for him compared to Burnes?

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

R.D. Mangles posted:

the other teams are trying to spend it but they are not located in los angeles

I find myself ever-so-slightly missing the Jim Hendry days a little. Dude would target a big name, and go sign him, for better or worse.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

RCarr posted:

gently caress players feelings. What is he gonna intentionally pitch worse because someone else got more money than him?

Honestly kind of yeah? The Yankees already dealt with this poo poo with that total piece of human garbage Chapman basically refusing to be benched or pulled when he was completely loving up as a closer. My point is moreso that it seems like Yankees “culture” of being rings or bust no matter what has completely dissolved and they’ve forced themselves into agreements for temperamental and ego-driven stars in recent years, and as a result they’ve forced themselves into a weird little box of intentionally low-balling future potential superstars because otherwise someone who they’re already paying will be pissed. Cuz I don’t really buy the narrative that the Yankees are cheap bastards or just too loving stupid to pay what the market demands; it’s easier to believe that this is a calculated effort to try and maintain a positive clubhouse atmosphere. Of course, there’s a backdoor criticism one could make that it was a fundamental error to hitch the Yankees’ wagon to temperamental stars outside of Judge but, you know, hindsight being 20/20 and all.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

RCarr posted:

It takes a ridiculous level of focus and work to dominate major league hitters, even if you have world class stuff and control. If he gets pissed off and stops giving a poo poo, or even just becomes unfocused, hell yes his performance can take a nosedive.

That's separate from the problem of an angry superstar making the Yankees clubhouse a miserable place to be which would adversely affect everyone's performance.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

David Wells did it on large quantities of meat and beer alone. Cole will be fine.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The noise out of NY has been the Yankees were all in on Yomamato but weren’t planning to pivot to the next best option if they missed out on him. They have to add some SP since they depleted their depth with the Soto trade but the thing is they were trying to add a second ace, not replace one. So theoretically they can just add middle/back rotation guys and hope Rodan and Cortes are healthy. Which like they have to anyway. But I dunno. I don’t expect a panicked Snell mega contract or Cease trade. But who knows?

It sucks to miss out on a talent like Yomamato but that’s the game.

glasnost toyboy posted:

Yeah, I don't know why Yankees fans are acting like it was purely a money thing and a few million more would have sealed the deal.

On the Dodgers he gets to play for a good team with probably the best player of all time who is also his countryman.

Because making it a pure money thing allows people to blame The Yankees and Cashman entirely for failing to sign a highly coveted free agent and complain and yell and say “the Boss never would have met this happen!” It’s been a tough Christmas for them since the Soto trade.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 22, 2023

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you
They have nothing to trade for Burnes anyway so that is a huge moot point

Zisky
May 6, 2003

PM me and I will show you my tits
Didn't check my phone last night, waking up to some amazing news.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
They need to do more things like the Verdugo trade to make marginal improvements in the roster especially to the lineup. I feel like they will be able to figure out the pitching through the season at the deadline. I would like to see more turnover in the everyday players.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I've heard stuff about the Dodgers org, like their food, the way they run their minor leagues, just their general day-to-day business, etc. that makes them more appealing because they're just seen as a good place to work, is there anywhere to read up on that kind of stuff?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

What the pricetag for him compared to Burnes?

Reinsdorf is legendarily cheap so I’d argue it’s less on the prospect side if you eat Yoan Moncada’s contract next year

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

Reinsdorf is legendarily cheap so I’d argue it’s less on the prospect side if you eat Yoan Moncada’s contract next year

They shouldn't give up that much for him. He isn't that good.

The Yankees are going to bring back Montas because Cashman will need to justify his brutal trade lol

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I'm sorry is there any evidence that Gerrit Cole is an Aroldis Chapman type of rear end in a top hat? What is this being based on?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Cole’s certainly got some edge and a bit of primadonna started in him. But yeah I don’t know where that “the Yankees have surrounded Judge with temperamental assholes” thing came from. Like it feels like you have to take the most uncharitable view of Cole and include Chapman and Donaldson to kind of get there and they’re both long gone.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Very funny how all the reporting about him was "this guy wants the big stage, wants to be a star" etc. and he ends up on a team that will never be the big story in town over whatever is happening with the Lakers even if they suck, and will also end up being second fiddle to Ohtani.

Cashman also is out there frantically waiving the "we tried" flag like the loser he is.
this is not true

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

bawfuls posted:

this is not true

Yes it is, come on. The Lakers are 100% the biggest draw in LA

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

The narrative that Yamamoto would have to go to X to be the star he allegedly wanted to seemed like the most nonsensical of bullshit from writers and fans rationalizing their baseless speculation. If Yamamoto is as good as advertised he’ll have plenty of opportunity to be a star and make money whether he’s standing next to Ohtani or Judge. Ohtani became a star and made a fortune in Anaheim standing next to Trout.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Berzerker posted:

Hearing the Jays are finalists for Bellinger, so I assume he's signing with the Dodgers any minute now.
I miss my beautiful permastoned boy, but if the Dodgers wanted Bellinger they would have extended him several years ago

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

STAC Goat posted:

Cole’s certainly got some edge and a bit of primadonna started in him. But yeah I don’t know where that “the Yankees have surrounded Judge with temperamental assholes” thing came from. Like it feels like you have to take the most uncharitable view of Cole and include Chapman and Donaldson to kind of get there and they’re both long gone.

It also honestly seems like Donaldson was decently liked in tha clubhouse, he's been at a few player's weddings recently.

I think Bauer is the only dude who would actually cause a stink with Cole and I certainly wouldn't blame him.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Nodoze posted:

Yes it is, come on. The Lakers are 100% the biggest draw in LA
This is recency bias. The Dodgers were the top dog in LA all the way through the 1980’s five Laker championships that decade. It took more than a decade of Dodgers mediocrity combined with the Kobe era to put the Lakers on top. Unless the Lakers keep ripping off titles, the Dodgers will reclaim that spot with ease. Especially with the kind of Star power they now boast.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Yeah the Dodgers are huge in LA, especially since the Lakers are right now an organizationally inept shitshow of palace intrigue and Succession-level white people failing upwards in their front office. Having just moved from there, yes, it’s the LAkers and probably always will be but the Dodgers are still an enormous draw. If you want to talk about sports teams nobody in that town gives a flying gently caress about it’s the Rams and especially the Chargers, the Dodgers are doing absolutely fine especially when they have a former Laker in their ownership group.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

gently caress this

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Nodoze posted:

They have nothing to trade for Burnes anyway so that is a huge moot point

But… but… Jasson Dominguez!!!

In all seriousness there is always something to trade. Will Warren and Chase Hampton are pretty good pitching prospects and they could put together a package similar to what they paid for Soto.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Harlock posted:

No Dodgers fan will be safe if they fail to win the World Series
Safe from what? I saw this sentiment all over Twitter too, but it makes no sense. This team has already been “World Series or Bust” for at least 6 years. The whole baseball world already laughs at the schadenfreude every October that they come up short. There’s no where higher for the expectations to be raised.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the chicago cubs will be fine assuming that all of their vaulted prospects simply turn into all stars immediately

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
No-one cares about the historically inept and cash poor Yankees, we have dealz*

*subject to medical

https://twitter.com/kileymcd/status/1738203096436674764

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Inspector_666 posted:

It also honestly seems like Donaldson was decently liked in tha clubhouse, he's been at a few player's weddings recently.

I think Bauer is the only dude who would actually cause a stink with Cole and I certainly wouldn't blame him.

Josh Donaldson being well liked by anyone is unfathomable

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Josh Donaldson being well liked by anyone is unfathomable

Oh I'm not defending it, just that he didn't seem to be as discordant as we all thought.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Dolandson was still right in the Tim Anderson dustup.

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

mcmagic posted:

They need to do more things like the Verdugo trade to make marginal improvements in the roster especially to the lineup. I feel like they will be able to figure out the pitching through the season at the deadline. I would like to see more turnover in the everyday players.

I agree with this. Their lineup, even with Soto, is still pretty one-dimensonal and their bench is abysmal. I'm also not sure about DJLM as an everyday player anymore, especially at third base.

I mean you can never have too much pitching but that wasn't the problem last year.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

mcmagic posted:

Breaking: mcmagic wrong

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

Inspector_666 posted:

I'm sorry is there any evidence that Gerrit Cole is an Aroldis Chapman type of rear end in a top hat? What is this being based on?

Nowhere. It’s completely made up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Well Played Mauer posted:

I agree with this. Their lineup, even with Soto, is still pretty one-dimensonal and their bench is abysmal. I'm also not sure about DJLM as an everyday player anymore, especially at third base.

I mean you can never have too much pitching but that wasn't the problem last year.

They really should be looking to turn over DJLM, Rizzo, Torres and Stanton but I don't get the feeling they are doing any of that lol

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

A bunch of rumblings that the Jays are getting close on Michael Taylor.

I imagine that means they won't be signing Bellinger or that his price is too high right now and they're at least signing plan B.

edit: I think this would be a platoon bat anyway. Don't think this takes them out on Bellinger completely but it could be months til he signs

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

https://twitter.com/JackCurryYES/status/1738225962033242120

The Yankees are so loving dumb

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

mcmagic posted:

Oh yeah?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Wouldn't have mattered. If they'd gone to $375M the Dodgers would have matched that too. Most likely the Steinbrenner lads dropped out (and Cohen shortly after) when they came to the same conclusion.