Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

90sgamer posted:

2) wouldn’t the Soviet Union be on the side of the striking workers? If nothing else to use it as an example of the evils of capitalism?

So.like in theory yes, but in practice no Stalin would have just gone "these are counter-revolutionary kulaks (people who cant work, also bougie farmers), execute them"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Wheeljack posted:

Madurai may have the right of it. If they smacked it in to Mars, it would take a lot more time and trouble to extract the iridium… But it would require a lot more people going to Mars and make the planet an ongoing concern the way Dev would want, over decades. It would greatly inconvenience the M-7 and the whole Earth, but Dev did tell his mom community and fellowship were a bunch of BS….

Ok wait no im calling it. The asteroid hits the mars colony and obliterates everyone including Dev, but it means humans go back to Mars for the iridium and poo poo

e: Also im pissed off with Poole but at the same time it's completely in character for her.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Dec 22, 2023

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I was surprised just how quickly a bunch diverse-nationality, ex-military scientists and engineers morphed into a cohesive squads of jackbooted thugs marching in lockstep.

kiminewt
Feb 1, 2022

Wordless searching beds, tossing personal items and assaulting people you used to work with until yesterday on a base of 100 people and probably know at least by name seems odd to you?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Attention Helios workers, your failure to surrender is forcing me to take stronger measures. In five minutes, we will begin pumping neurocine gas into the Habitat Ring. Think of your families as you consider your course of action. All NASA personnel should evacuate the area immediately.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

So are we meant to assume a million bucks is a good deal for the workers? I'm generally on Team Unionize but when he's like "just north of a million dollars", I was thinking that was worth crumbling for, right? What are their tours for, two years? So 500k a year? I guess I really don't know enough about the economy in alt-world, or what a comparable salary would be for a skilled worker for a two-year tour in hazardous conditions.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
A million dollars when they are just scraping by with their current salary seems pretty decent. Though they probably won't get their contact renewed after striking.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

The strike started when Big Love Helios HQ did the Darth Vader and Lando bit, right? Obviously these people are desperate and literally stuck on a base on a hostile planet, so a million bucks sounds good, so it's a solid deal on paper. But if real-world Elon was telling you he'd totally hook you up with stock options, a hundred MILLION DOLLARS, blackjack and hookers if you just got the Twitters X-ing for the holidays, I'm not sure I'd take him on his word. But a hundred million bucks is a hundred million bucks, in a server room or on Mars, so :shrug:

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
You'd definitely want to get everything in writing, and take out the clause where apparently Helios can just retroactively change your contract? But yeah, a million per worker plus benefits and stocks for two years of (admittedly pretty hard) work in 2003 dollars seems pretty fair, and also what's a hundred million factored into the cost of sending space ships to loving Mars? That's pocket change to the company.

Wheeljack
Jul 12, 2021

alexandriao posted:

Ok wait no im calling it. The asteroid hits the mars colony and obliterates everyone including Dev, but it means humans go back to Mars for the iridium and poo poo

Remember what happened when Danny was high while monitoring the drill sampler? Dev might drop it a safe but convenient distance away and trigger a Marsquake with catastrophic results. Or maybe someone sympathetic to the Saudi "We don't have oil money any more and it sucks" cause nudges it in a catastrophic way. Or, outside chance, Miles?

Edit: Regarding the space suits, they mentioned an improvised suit not being good enough to get to the fuel factory... If they could put one together, wouldn't it be good enough to run out and snag a space suit from the pile, bring it back, suit up and repeat?

Wheeljack fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 22, 2023

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost
sometimes the writing and acting is bad in this show, but I will always love them for the level of background detail it gets. Specifically NASA in TYOOL 2003ish using an updated worm logo

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Holy poo poo Margot’s Russian is… not very good. Just do a Malkovitch and have her speak English with an eastern accent.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Oh boy, the two biggest assholes teaming up to do the only interesting thing anyone's talked about this whole season. I hope they blow up Mars.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Mokotow posted:

Holy poo poo Margot’s Russian is… not very good. Just do a Malkovitch and have her speak English with an eastern accent.

It's not supposed to be good. She's not Russian.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Stegosnaurlax posted:

I didn't have MARTIAL LAW ON MARS on my bingo card.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Tell that to queen doppelpopolous

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I have to say the dialogue writing was godawful in this one. All the technobabble exposition during the beginning and the crawl-through-the-pipes scene was very "as you know, dot dot dot". And the strike negotiation scene felt like someone looked up "strike negotiation scene" in an encyclopedia. Rabble rabble! We have to stay firm. Rabble rabble! It's for profits! Rabble rabble!

Give us something a little original maybe. Like maybe point out how none of the Helios workers have a single stake in whether they capture the asteroid or not. Why should they give a poo poo? Dani's exhortations to gain the most valuable thing in the solar system should have fallen so flat they all started throwing things.

The moment they started booting up the fuel production systems and the camera cut away I expected to hear a big BOOM over the spaghetti scene and parmesan cheese would go flying everywhere

"step foot" count +1

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 22, 2023

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Also, why was the only connection to to refinery building a small pipe? What was the purpose of that pipe?

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Cojawfee posted:

Also, why was the only connection to to refinery building a small pipe? What was the purpose of that pipe?

water

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

one of the technobabbles was that it was a grey water pipe from hydroponics and nobody knew about it because reasons

also :lol: a buncha scabs blow themselves up trying to refine fuel, and all the striking workers don't leverage it to gently caress and back? The main striker-lady's schtick a few episodes ago was how "dangerous" working a million shifts on an asteroid would be

honestly i'm really surprised NASA/Roscosmos didn't immediately capitulate. They brought the workers to Mars so trained astronauts didn't have to do that sort of poo poo. Also :lol: they blew up their refining facility, how do they expect to make enough gas to get the asteroid to Earth, let alone Mars

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I had to lol at the way the newscast intro was framed. "Later tonight, a car bomb goes off in Saudi Arabia. But first,"

OH REALLY??

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

kiminewt posted:

Wordless searching beds, tossing personal items and assaulting people you used to work with until yesterday on a base of 100 people and probably know at least by name seems odd to you?

At least a couple hundred probably, but the small size also means they would all know the people who just died.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

It's not supposed to be good. She's not Russian.

I get that, but it’s not an English person speaking Russian poorly, it’s an English person who learned the lines phonetically the night before type of thing.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Data Graham posted:

I had to lol at the way the newscast intro was framed. "Later tonight, a car bomb goes off in Saudi Arabia. But first,"

OH REALLY??

The CIA forgot to attach an embargo to the news story

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Aleida sucks

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

mcmagic posted:

Aleida sucks

I mean we already knew that because she has a kid?

Soylent Majority
Jul 13, 2020

Dune 2: Chicks At The Same Time
Best musical choice in the history of Space is Us

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

OH REALLY??

Yeah that got an awkward eyebrow from me

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
We spend half the episode learning how challenging it is to get to the fuel depot without space suits

then they go there, expending effort in stinky pipe

then they blow themselves up. A bona fide CGI explosion uniting the inside of the building with the air-less Martian atmosphere

then they just teleport back to the space hospital, mostly not dead.

Eh? Why can't the show just commit to Space Mistakes having Space Consequences

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Phenotype posted:

So are we meant to assume a million bucks is a good deal for the workers? I'm generally on Team Unionize but when he's like "just north of a million dollars", I was thinking that was worth crumbling for, right? What are their tours for, two years? So 500k a year? I guess I really don't know enough about the economy in alt-world, or what a comparable salary would be for a skilled worker for a two-year tour in hazardous conditions.

Yeah I was confused by Sam and Ed's adamance to the "bring the rock to Mars" demand. Dev's actually right, Earth is the better place for it by far for simple logistics and if they can choose that's the choice. They otherwise improved their working conditions and pay considerably, even got amnesty, without any further negotiation. The highball offer strategy worked, just take it. I get that Ed identifies with Mars more and Sam, idk maybe she just likes being a strike organizer, but I'm in a union too and I would be pretty happy if we got them to cave that quickly and that high an offer. We'd be popping bottles in the union office.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
They were blown clear of the facility

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I'm really not digging the contrivances and writing in this episode. The strikers lines are cliche. The Margo thing is a big stretch already and it keeps getting weirder. The spacesuit/refinery/medbay plot hole. The Mars Militia immediately works effectively when this was anathema a day ago. The strike leaders still spouting their cliches even though the company basically capitulated, and not even countering with another demand to sweeten the plot.

They missed a layup by mentioning the Stevens by name rather than improvised suit.

Sivart13 posted:

We spend half the episode learning how challenging it is to get to the fuel depot without space suits

then they go there, expending effort in stinky pipe

then they blow themselves up. A bona fide CGI explosion uniting the inside of the building with the air-less Martian atmosphere

then they just teleport back to the space hospital, mostly not dead.

Eh? Why can't the show just commit to Space Mistakes having Space Consequences

Whoa, you're right. How did they get back? I thought the pipe plan was to get the spacesuits back and that the prereq for the refinery.

Plus that explosion and the reentry scene is like the only space scene this episode. They must have got their budget slashed because it's been pretty light on that all season. They're hardly even in the suits anymore, remember the Jamestown scenes? They trivialized the transits in space and don't even show that anymore, so no microgravity. I hope they're saving it for something big at the end.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I was fully expecting a scene where the company says "Ok, we will give the bonuses back" only or Ed to say "Also, we demand that I become XO again and also I get to fly the ship." It seemed the whole time he was only part of the strike because he wanted his job back. Now that Dev is there, there's really nothing for Ed to do. He's not XO, he's not the pilot, and he isn't the highest ranked to sign off on paperwork.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Ed inserted himself in the strike purely for selfish reasons, that is he wants Mars and by extension himself to be relevant. He didn't care about the workers and the CO noting his past dismissive attitude toward the Helios peons was right on the money.

dor1
Jun 5, 2011
I would've thought that smoke escaping from the gas station post explosion would've meant that the building was no longer airtight, so all the dudes would've suffocated.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

skooma512 posted:

The Margo thing is a big stretch already and it keeps getting weirder.

I did have a good laugh at using the Serious Horn Theme for Margo’s arrival and entrance to nasa.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

This strike plot makes absolutely no sense. These are workers on the universe's most hostile oil platform and they are trying to get through a 2 year gig so they can gently caress off back to their families and their real lifes back home. They don't give a gently caress about the economic future of the Mars base or Helios and definitely not enough to make it their most important demand. And the company would also give zero fucks about paying them out a couple million to end the strike, since these are the last miners ever on Mars and there are literally trillions of revenue on the line.

90sgamer posted:

2) wouldn’t the Soviet Union be on the side of the striking workers? If nothing else to use it as an example of the evils of capitalism?

The USSR was hardcore anti-union and started smashing skulls at any sign of labor action. Independent trade unions were illegal and the ones that existed were nothing more than puppet organizations of the party. The show's portrayal is pretty accurate on this. The pre-Gorbatchev Soviet Union would have solved the Mars strike by kidnapping the ring leaders and started breaking fingers until morale improved.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

This strike plot makes absolutely no sense. These are workers on the universe's most hostile oil platform and they are trying to get through a 2 year gig so they can gently caress off back to their families and their real lifes back home. They don't give a gently caress about the economic future of the Mars base or Helios and definitely not enough to make it their most important demand. And the company would also give zero fucks about paying them out a couple million to end the strike, since these are the last miners ever on Mars and there are literally trillions of revenue on the line.

Ever since the collapse of the previous mining project the base's staff have had their wages significantly dropped, and the arrival of the next asteroid mining project has shown their wages are going to get even lower than their current pay. There would have been people pinning their emotional and financial futures on those pay rises, so I can see that being the turning point for them.

And Helios didn't give a gently caress about the pay issue, it was Dev's first offer and it immediately broke the strike, so I don't understand your overall point.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Open Source Idiom posted:

Ever since the collapse of the previous mining project the base's staff have had their wages significantly dropped, and the arrival of the next asteroid mining project has shown their wages are going to get even lower than their current pay. There would have been people pinning their emotional and financial futures on those pay rises, so I can see that being the turning point for them.

And Helios didn't give a gently caress about the pay issue, it was Dev's first offer and it immediately broke the strike, so I don't understand your overall point.

My point is that demands should have been a shitton of money and improved working conditions for the remainder of their tours. And then the company should have said "yeah, ok, here you go, we don't give a gently caress about the pocket change. There are literally trillions on the line and we are turning the lights off anyway after you are gone".

The janitors at the Goldman Sachs HQ striking for more financial de-regulation makes about as much sense as what I just watched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GABA ghoul posted:

My point is that demands should have been a shitton of money and improved working conditions for the remainder of their tours. And then the company should have said "yeah, ok, here you go, we don't give a gently caress about the pocket change. There are literally trillions on the line and we are turning the lights off anyway after you are gone".

Ah, yeah, I follow you now, thanks.

This is slightly going off the above but I reckon a big part of this is that early narrative real estate that pointlessly went to Margo should have been deployed to the new Mars characters and developing that world and their interests. This strike plot had been built to for several episodes, and would have been stronger if it received the same attention to detail that the show spends on those "we've got to work the problem" type scenes. Instead the strikes been held at one step removed. All the big choices are made off screen, and I'm pretty sure we don't see them interact or negotiate with Helios in the lead up, or a list of demands, etc.

We understand so little of the characters and perspectives involved because the entire plot has been boiled down to one or two new characters, and because the overall plot spend a lot of time on irrelevant guff. Or, cynically, perhaps because the show doesn't want to depict the process.