Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I want the cognitive dissonance of a parent but without actually having to be responsible for a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I want the cognitive dissonance of a parent but without actually having to be responsible for a kid.

i mean that's a good third of fathers minimum

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
lmao imagine trying to protect your 17-yo from like the mildest scolding (e.g. "you need to apologise.") after he made fun of a family member for suffering a terrible and tragic loss.

Adult life is gonna be tough on little Tommy lol.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I remember running into those “My child doesn’t have to apologize” kids when they get their first job and they start to learn that things like “human resources” and “getting fired” exist.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Tom: I have a dark sense of humor, I tell it how it is

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shanghaied posted:

I don't know why, but the OP's use of "private retreat," "sanctuary," and "peaceful environment" to describe the house is giving me weird vibes. I mean a home could be all those things, I guess, but it just sounds really contrived.

My guess is OP's a hoarder and the house is thigh-deep in crap they're ashamed of, but that's pure conjecture.

Or they have a cellarful of kidnapped children, of course.

BlancoNino
Apr 26, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making my nephew apologize immediately in front of his friends

Lmao, owned

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

to be fair, he never said what the book club was actually reading. Maybe it's something like Fight Club or Mein Kampf.

AITA For kicking my sister out for Thanksgiving dinner when she announced my pregnancy without my permission?

I come from a family who didn't care so much about the various holidays and birthdays, so YMMV, but I think it's pretty reasonable to have kicked the sister out, if that was the full extent of the OP's reaction. I'd think the OP's overacting if she breaks contact with the sister forever or something, but to be really angry for a little while? NTA IMO.

Like you're a loving adult, you can't just blurt out other people's secrets like this. It's not like she misspoke or otherwise accidentally revealed the pregnancy, she just stood up and said it out loud. It's not an acceptable form of "accident" (WTF?) for an adult to have. She's gotta learn this sooner or later.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

I remember running into those “My child doesn’t have to apologize” kids when they get their first job and they start to learn that things like “human resources” and “getting fired” exist.

A couple of years ago, a friend/colleague of mine got an angry email from one of his student's mother, who complained that the written feedback her precious little boy received was hurtful and unhelpful (I've read it and it was nether. I guess it's very slightly harsh?). This guy was in the second or third year of university.

My friend wrote back and apologised for not being able discuss this matter with a third party, due to our school's privacy policies. He wasn't even trying to be smart, he literally wasn't allowed to discuss this with the woman, because she had no legal standing as far as the education of her adult child is concerned. This is between an adult and his university, butt out, lady!

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 22, 2023

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

These kids also often learn a very hard lesson the first time they ever get on an airplane as an adult too except the cops get involved

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Shanghaied posted:

A couple of years ago, a friend/colleague of mine got an angry email from one of his student's mother, who complained that the written feedback her precious little boy received was hurtful and unhelpful (I've read it and it was nether. I guess it's very slightly harsh?). This guy was in the second or third year of university.

My friend wrote back and apologised for not being able discuss this matter with a third party, due to our school's privacy policies. He wasn't even trying to be smart, he literally wasn't allowed to discuss this with the woman, because she had no legal standing as far as the education of her adult child is concerned. This is between an adult and his university, butt out, lady!

The old rear end guru professor in my relatively small major took a required 202 class that would normally fit us all in a lecture hall and broke it up into six sections and taught them all so he could interact with all of us. At the end of the class he scheduled individual meetings where he assessed our fitness for the profession. Roughly 25% were bluntly told to switch majors as they were not cut out for the field. Most of them did, of the rest a few powered through on spite but literally none that I know of that were dissuaded are still in the field.

I still don't know how I feel about it, but it at the very least seems better than blindly passing everyone through.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA For Making A Scene At My Daughter's School When She Didn't Get A Secret Santa Gift?

quote:

I (43m) have a daughter (f14) and as we all know since it's the holidays, my daughter class (homeroom) did not secret Santa. My daughter got one of her friends so we put somethings that my daughter said she's interested in: Perfumes and Bracelets. So that's what we gave.

On the day of (yesterday) my daughter tells me after school that she didn't get a gift. She said she asked the teacher who had gotten her and the person who she was supposed to receive a gift from we'll call "Lisa."

According to my daughter, Lisa did get a gift. And yiu had to sign up for secret Santa if you wanted to do it, so what's the excuse for getting but not giving?

So today, I called the school and explained the situation. I kept myself regulated I would say but I jusf wanted to make sure my daughter got a gift. She did eventually get her gift (she texted me as I write) but when I told my wife about it, she told me I should have just let it slide because it was just high school secret Santa. I think that while it's a small deal, I wasn't going to settle for unfairness.

So reddit, AITA?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For Making A Scene At My Daughter's School When She Didn't Get A Secret Santa Gift?

NTA but wife is like a side rear end in a top hat here imo stick up for your kid

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for making my nephew apologize immediately in front of his friends

His good bye phrase to me private or in public was “See ya miserable single loser later!” He was making fun of how I never had a long time girlfriend.

bolding mine.

Nephew was hugely out of pocket but this also sounds like it sucks and is a lovely thing to say as your goodbye to a supposed friend?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
AITA for calling another woman "objectively attractive" in front of my work wife?

quote:

Before you ask, my work wife and I are both single.

I (M28) have developed a very close relationship with one of my co-workers, Stacey (F27). We work closely, spending most of the day in each other’s company. Our other colleagues jokingly refer to us as the office couple since we frequently flirt with each other. 99% of the time, the flirting is just for fun, but occasionally, it becomes more serious.

Since this has gone on for so long, we’ve gotten accustomed to calling each other things like "babe," "dear," and "honey". Some of our younger co-workers have gone along with this a will refer to us as “the parents”. I'll admit that Stacey is attractive, smart, kind, and possesses many other qualities I admire. While I do feel a small romantic connection, I haven't pursued it, as if things don't work out, it could make work awkward. I haven't got a clue about Stacey's "real" feelings towards me.

The other day, after work, one of our co-workers, Sarah (F26), was venting about her love life. She was upset that a guy she was chatting with ghosted her. Sarah started to blame how she might look, so I told her that if that was the case then the guy was a dumbass since she was objectively very attractive. Everyone else said something similar, and that seemed to cheer Sarah up.

Stacey then started exaggeratedly asking me how I thought she looked and that she couldn’t remember the last time I told her that I thought she was pretty. I told her something along the lines of how she was lovely herself but since I thought she was joking; I didn’t say it very enthusiastically. Our co-workers thought this was hilarious and we all ended up heading our separate ways afterwards.

Since Stacey and I carpooled together, she asked me in the car if I thought she was pretty, and I told her that I thought so. She then told me that I needed to be more assertive if I thought that much. The rest of the car ride was pretty awkward in all honesty.

Later that night, I was chatting with some of my friends and told them what happened. They think I was an rear end in a top hat for not telling publicly telling Stacey how beautiful I thought she was in a super cheesy way since we’re “essentially a couple” and I told Sarah I thought she was attractive.

AITA?

AITA for excluding my attractive friend from going out with us when we try to get girls?

quote:

So for some context, me and my friends are pretty normal looking guys with normal jobs. I first met Ryan in university after I tutored him in physics. Ryan is fairly rich and attractive, he literally looks like he could be in the next Thor movie, I thought guys like Ryan only exist in romance novels. He volunteers with animals and the homeless. I volunteer at a suicide hotline, but girls care more about those ones for some reason, and he is so rich he can literally do whatever he wants to. He went to Antarctica just because he could.

Anyways, normally we invite him out all the time, but we noticed that all the girls gravitate towards him, and to be blunt, it cramps our style. Now we never exclude him any other time. It's only specifically when we're trying to get dates, because girls don't pay attention to any of us otherwise. Without Ryan around I actually met a girl I really like. Anyways, he found out about it because our friend was dumb and posted a picture. He was understandably hurt by his, and I can see how it looks on our part. The thing is though, we invite him to literally every other outing we go on. We're starting to feel bad though, were we assholes?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

The old rear end guru professor in my relatively small major took a required 202 class that would normally fit us all in a lecture hall and broke it up into six sections and taught them all so he could interact with all of us. At the end of the class he scheduled individual meetings where he assessed our fitness for the profession. Roughly 25% were bluntly told to switch majors as they were not cut out for the field. Most of them did, of the rest a few powered through on spite but literally none that I know of that were dissuaded are still in the field.

I still don't know how I feel about it, but it at the very least seems better than blindly passing everyone through.

Seems like a real high-effort way to do a weeder course, normally they just have really tough exams that you're not going to pass unless you went to all the incredibly boring lectures and did all the readings.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for calling another woman "objectively attractive" in front of my work wife?

Oh my god, just gently caress already, jesus!

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for excluding my attractive friend from going out with us when we try to get girls?

I volunteer at a suicide hotline

So do you lead with that?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

God if I were HR at any company this poo poo would be nipped in the bud.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Again, it's possible to be friends at work without adding marital terms that only end up becoming a problem for just about everyone.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Cowslips Warren posted:

God, I wish I worked there so I could performatively quit my job in disgust

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

So do you lead with that?

I bet he starts with, hey. You know what super attractive dude also worked at a suicide hotline and he's super famous? Ted Bundy!

AITA for buying my 10 year old an iPhone but not my oldest

quote:

Posted this in r/aitah on a different account aswell

I have a 17 year old daughter and a 10 year old daughter

We had previously made a rule that we wouldn't give our kids smartphones till they were 13 and they would get hand me downs and they can get a new phone when they can pay for it themselves

My oldest didn't have a phone till she was 13 and she only got a new Phone last year. But I realised this rule was unrealistic and it would lead to my youngest getting bullied and left out without a phone as things have changed. We also decided to get her an iPhone as students with old phones and Androids may get bullied

So we decided we would get her an iPhone 15 for her 10th birthday my youngest was overjoyed by this but my oldest pulled aside to talk to me.

She said it wasn't fair that she got an iPhone at 10 while she still uses an Android at 17 and asked me why did I abandon the rule when it came to my youngest. I told her it wouldn't be realistic anymore as students without iphones get bullied and left out. My daughter said that she didn't have a phone till 13 and she still doesn't have an iPhone and she isn't bullied or left out and that I'm just making excuses so that I can buy my precious angel the latest iPhone while she doesn't even have one

Now she isn't talking to me for a few daysi tried to explain that my youngest would be bullied and times have changed but she isn't talking to me.

Now my husband has second thoughts and wants to take the iPhone away

AITA

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
Somewhere a capitalist is spending hours trying to euphemize bullying so they can put marketing dollars into supporting it.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Again, it's possible to be friends at work without adding marital terms that only end up becoming a problem for just about everyone.

This here is my work wife, but this is my work side piece over here because sometimes we staple stuff without the work wife knowing, and then this is my other work side piece who helps me with the garbage run but she doesn't know about the other two because I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment yet.

Also, my second side piece doesn't want her real husband to know about me being her work husband but I think he doesn't understand the depth of our relationship.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

MajorBonnet posted:

Somewhere a capitalist is spending hours trying to euphemize bullying so they can put marketing dollars into supporting it.

Isn't that just social media platforms?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Cowslips Warren posted:

This here is my work wife, but this is my work side piece over here because sometimes we staple stuff without the work wife knowing, and then this is my other work side piece who helps me with the garbage run but she doesn't know about the other two because I'm just not ready for that kind of commitment yet.

Also, my second side piece doesn't want her real husband to know about me being her work husband but I think he doesn't understand the depth of our relationship.

This is not to mention my many, many work one-night stands, including Susanne-whats-her-name at payroll. One time I emailed her and asked "expenses when travelling on business, that's form 17-3 right? Thanks in advance!" She emailed back 15 min later, "Yep!"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cowslips Warren posted:

I bet he starts with, hey. You know what super attractive dude also worked at a suicide hotline and he's super famous? Ted Bundy!

AITA for buying my 10 year old an iPhone but not my oldest

The culture for when somebody should have a phone really has changed in the last five years. Certainly the ten year old didn't need a brand new one though, that's bullshit. The seventeen year old should get the brand new one and the ten year old have her hand me down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Shanghaied posted:

I don't know why, but the OP's use of "private retreat," "sanctuary," and "peaceful environment" to describe the house is giving me weird vibes. I mean a home could be all those things, I guess, but it just sounds really contrived.
OP is pointedly ignoring all questions about who actually owns the house.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
I'm honestly surprised that phones are still a thing that people care about? Like for some years after the first iPhone came out in 2007 I kinda felt like there was a need to upgrade every couple of years for new features, better cameras or whatever. Now I'm just like if as long as it can text, email, take okay-ish pictures, and let me browse the web and SA while I'm on the toilet, then I don't really care. And basically everyone I know is like this. A friend is still rocking a iPhone 6/7/8 (idk, but it has rounded edges and a physical home button). IIRC the reason the price of flagship phones are going up so much each year and Apple no longer publishing units of iPhones sold was because the sales of smart phones dropped off a cliff because phones are good enough nowadays and most people stopped compulsively upgrading.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I just want smaller phones to come back. My old galaxy note "Phablet" isn't even a full size phone now.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

ReelBigLizard posted:

I just want smaller phones to come back. My old galaxy note "Phablet" isn't even a full size phone now.

The Dell Streak that everyone made fun of for being huge looks downright reasonable these days.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Arsenic Lupin posted:

OP is pointedly ignoring all questions about who actually owns the house.

lmao okay, so the only reasonable explanation for this is that the OP and her brother actually share ownership lol.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Shanghaied posted:

And basically everyone I know is like this. A friend is still rocking a iPhone 6/7/8 (idk, but it has rounded edges and a physical home button).

drat, respect. I recently switched from an iphone x to a 15 because the battery wouldn’t last longer than a day, it couldn’t run a modern OS and so wasn’t getting updates, and it would regularly just not recognize the cell network, which meant that it couldn’t actually fulfill its function as a phone - I’m amazed your friend’s phone is still working.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA For kicking my sister out for Thanksgiving dinner when she announced my pregnancy without my permission?

quote:

My mom was honestly making it harder for me. "Seriously it isn't a big deal, you can do this again!" My mom said.

“Better luck next kid!”

Lmao

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

BlancoNino posted:

Lmao, owned

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
You think by now someone would have made an app that would make an Android phone look like an iPhone if they're still such a hot item. I mean, don't they have cases that look kind of similar?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Coca Koala posted:

drat, respect. I recently switched from an iphone x to a 15 because the battery wouldn’t last longer than a day, it couldn’t run a modern OS and so wasn’t getting updates, and it would regularly just not recognize the cell network, which meant that it couldn’t actually fulfill its function as a phone - I’m amazed your friend’s phone is still working.

iOS 16 still gets security updates, hell iOS 15 still gets security updates

this is the whole reason I changed from android to iphone, i got pissed off that my 3 year old android stopped getting security updates while the iphone SE company phone i got 6+ years ago is still getting security updates

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
like yeah i guess that SE's not getting fancy new versions of apps but whatever

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Coca Koala posted:

lmao I'm not sure how well her phone actually works. Even her phone case is beat to poo poo with multiple cracks and barely staying on. She's a lot younger than me though (I think some kids are into this anti-consumerism thing?), and we're both weirdo lefty academics who hadn't flown for years.

My last phone was a Google Nexus 6P, the battery was so terrible by the end that just listening to Spotify and browsing SA on my 30 min commute would drain half the battery. I had to upgrade because I was doing fieldwork and had to be away from a charger for more than an hour at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
AITA for not congratulating my sister on her pregnancy?

quote:

I honestly don't understand why everyone thinks I am the rear end in a top hat here so I thought I'd ask internet strangers

I (25F) went back home to visit my family before the holidays. (I'm going abroad for a vacation during the actual holiday season so this was the time that worked out the best for me).

My sister (Anne - 22F) is married (I'll call her husband Rick - 23M). Anne and Rick came over for dinner to see me. And Anne announced that she was pregnant with their first baby. (Our parents knew. I was the only one who didn't).

I told her I was very happy and excited to be an aunt. And I hugged both Anne and Rick. I noticed everyone was looking at me a bit strangely and I was like what did I do. Anne said I didn't say congratulations. I am absolutely weirded out by this concept. So I said I was happy. What else am I supposed to say.

Here is where I may be TA. I said congratulations you got a baby in your uterus. Anne looked at me strangely and asked me what TF was wrong with me. I was like what the actual hell is wrong with you since when does having sex and getting knocked up get a congratulations? Celebration sure, but congratulations?

My parents said they were disappointed in me and Anne said I was a lost cause and wished my future wife a lot of patience which is weird in itself. Was it such a big deal? Did I mess up?

holidays must be a blast with these folks