Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

the popes toes posted:

How can you possibly monetize a steel plant for likes, clicks and advertising? Nobody is parking VC money in a steel plant. Worse, steel in America is a union magnet. I have an MBA.

US Steel being worth $15 billion compared to $20 billion for Figma is an amazing callout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think states have the power to limit consumer interest rates for national banks at all

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

perhaps there is money in leasing steal plants to steel companies?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

palindrome posted:

carefully initialing and signing multiple pages on the self checkout terminal.

lmao

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
I suspected I was having a "feed me a cat" moment when the self-checkout demanded that I link to the app, and walked away in disgust.

The hogs are going to love it and this will become the new way of life.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I refuse to use self-checkout and I don't care if I can save a few bucks by using it to steal. I'm going to the cashier every single time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

SKULL.GIF posted:

I refuse to use self-checkout and I don't care if I can save a few bucks by using it to steal. I'm going to the cashier every single time.

I will always use self check outs because you can’t put a price on not having to make small talk or worse yet get stuck behind someone that wants to maximize small talk because it’s thier only social interaction for the week.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I but into their small talk to maximize my small talk for the week.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

SKULL.GIF posted:

yup

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

I use self-checkout bc I have a panic attack if I'm forced to respond to the cashier when they say hello to me by saying hello back to them.

Even worse yet is when they smile & I'm expected to expend emotional labor by smiling back.

:wink:

Rectal Death Alert
Apr 2, 2021

my bony fealty posted:

US Steel being worth $15 billion compared to $20 billion for Figma is an amazing callout

figma balls

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Running the gauntlet of small talk to check out at Trader Joe’s

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

skooma512 posted:

Running the gauntlet of small talk to check out at Trader Joe’s

yah ok, that one legit sucks, but I feel sorry for them for being made to do so and I end up nattering back.

Crazypoops
Jul 17, 2017

I use self checkout and have small talk with the kiosk

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

euphronius posted:

perhaps there is money in leasing steal plants to steel companies?

Drake no: Steel plants

Drake yes: Steal plants

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

aldi's self-checkouts have miniature cameras showing your face back to you like it's fukkin facetime or something & it's always jarring to see the hag looking back at me.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

nice try self-check psychological warfare division but i do not and will never feel guilty for ‘theft’ from retail

webcams for christ
Nov 2, 2005

I use self-checkout because it lets me play pannier/backpack tetris with my groceries at a leisurely pace. I don't like the pressure of holding up the line.

Aldi's has a re-packing table next to the exit though, so I do normal checkout there and then play backpack tetris

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Checkout by tech or worker is lose-lose.

Self-checkout encourages tech to replace workers.

But the store has whittled it down to insufficient cashiers who are being run ragged because more people prefer interacting with humans. Plus, they and the old person bagging can't take tips.

I really don't know the solution. But on principle, gently caress self-checkout.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
the self-checkouts here aren't really "self-checkout" because the population is generally still so computer-illiterate to the point where they don't know how to work it even when they want to so whenever someone tries to use it the security guard or a cashier comes over to teach the person how to do it so at that point it's not really self-checkout anymore

in a broader sense that keeps happening with a lot of "automation":

- the toll gates on highways still has people manning the toll gates to wave a car through whenever the RFID reader fucks up
- the passport scanners in the immigration area of airports still has people teaching passengers how to work it because lining up your passport on the scanner and having your biometrics taken is such a precise sequence of actions that people need to be handheld through the process

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

One time I had ten dollars burning a hole in my pocket and wanted some candy so I went and bought two bags of those little individually wrapped candies. Anyway this was before self checkout had gotten rolling so I just went trough the express lane and the cashier asked me what I was buying the candy for and I said I just wanted candy and she looked at me with derision and said oh that’s weird I figured you were having a party or something

I just kind of stammered that I just wanted to eat some candy and she repeated that it was weird

That scarred me pretty bad and now I go to self checkout whenever possible to avoid being judged for buying things

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

self checkout was cool at first bc nobody wanted to use it so you could just sail on through in a couple minutes but now it's just as long as the regular lines + everyone is watching you try to scan your toothpaste and loving it up. how did you gently caress up scanning toothpaste

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Remember "12 items or fewer" express checkout aisles?

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I like self checkout bc it's faster and I don't have to interact with anyone. I also don't really care or have any strong opinions about it

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

Willa Rogers posted:

aldi's self-checkouts have miniature cameras showing your face back to you like it's fukkin facetime or something & it's always jarring to see the hag looking back at me.

i don't mind self checkout sometimes but i will never ever use one of these

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Self checkout can be good when you're buying a few items but if I have a shopping cart full of things it's usually faster and less annoying for a cashier to do it. They should be able to accept tips though, yeesh.

Dream grocery shopping experience is I just put things in my cart and it totals everything up automatically with 100% accuracy (lol). I review the list of items and submit payment at the end right before I walk out the door.

I guess you can have a Walmart style greeter for people that want to chit chat. And a little conveyor belt or table that you can put items on that didnt ring up as expected or you decide you dont want $8 ice cream after all.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

palindrome posted:

Dream grocery shopping experience is I just put things in my cart and it totals everything up automatically with 100% accuracy (lol). I review the list of items and submit payment at the end right before I walk out the door.
they kinda have this at a uniqlo I visited

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

triple sulk posted:

the dodgers committed $1.025 billion dollars to two players in a single offseason

healthcare pls

salary cap is a joke if you can pretend the compensation is less just cause its prorated off into the future.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

my bony fealty posted:

:psyduck:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

palindrome posted:

Stop & Shop does this lol

I don't think anybody USES it, but, they have these things where you can scan stuff as you shop, put it right in your bag, and then show the cashier a barcode as you leave, which is pretty close to what you describe, and you can use your phone as a scanner too apparently???

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Scan-It!-Device-at-Stop-%26-Shop

I should probably try actually doing it at some point, I just never have because I never have

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
sams lets you just scan poo poo with your phone instead of doing it at the checkouts but that just moves the line to the exit because everyone has to have their phone gone over before being allowed to leave

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
🤔 about this self-checkout conversation.

I of course use cashiers for I am not a class traitor.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
just do curbside pickup for $8 a month

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
All of the grocery stores here have 2 cashier lanes and the rest self checkout. A ton of people lost their jobs when this change occurred. Luckily 1 job was created on each of the grocery stores when they hired an armed security guard to watch the self checkouts.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

RadiRoot posted:

just do curbside pickup for $8 a month
sounds like a good way to get rotten produce and toilet paper that someone returned after using once

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

All of the grocery stores here have 2 cashier lanes and the rest self checkout. A ton of people lost their jobs when this change occurred. Luckily 1 job was created on each of the grocery stores when they hired an armed security guard to watch the self checkouts.

Where I live they started posting an armed security guard at the doors checking receipts, pissed me off because I couldn’t figure out why I had to wait in line to leave the store and then I had to go back for the receipt I hadn’t bothered to grab

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

mawarannahr posted:

sounds like a good way to get rotten produce and toilet paper that someone returned after using once

so then you return it :shrug:

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

I only buy things at Amazon Go stores, effortlessly sidestepping this entire conversation :smuggo:

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

corona familiar posted:

I only buy things at Amazon Go stores, effortlessly sidestepping this entire conversation :smuggo:

Amazon Go! to the Polls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

All the stores near me have 10 plus lanes and maybe 2 actually running.

Also be aware that larger retailers are getting much better at detecting selfcheckout theft using overhead cameras and such. The ol kool-aid pack covering the steaks barcode thing is easily detectable now. Be cautious and do your research.