Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

How is harvestella? I’m intrigued but also skeptical of it

general opinion is that it's a mediocre life sim hiding a xenogears-level nutso storyline on a shoestring budget

and, as usual, a rocking soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBv8ykEVDws

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Oxxidation posted:

general opinion is that it's a mediocre life sim hiding a xenogears-level nutso storyline on a shoestring budget

and, as usual, a rocking soundtrack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBv8ykEVDws

I think I’m sold now, thank you

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Its...what?

Sandrock is the answer, its combat is better than stardew's but I really think hoping for decent combat out of any of these feels like wishful thinking.

A valid criticism of Stardew is how short the days last and how pressured the game makes you feel to min max your day. Some of the most popular mods are the ones the reduce the speed of the in game clock so you can get more done during the day. My counter argument to that has always been that there’s never any real penalty for not getting something done that can’t be made up the next day or at the worst, the next seasonal year.

The only real awful thing the game penalizes you for is dieing in the mines which randomly causes you to loose like 5-10 items in your inventory. You can only pay to retrieve one of them. Lots will mod that out too.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

A valid criticism of Stardew is how short the days last and how pressured the game makes you feel to min max your day. Some of the most popular mods are the ones the reduce the speed of the in game clock so you can get more done during the day. My counter argument to that has always been that there’s never any real penalty for not getting something done that can’t be made up the next day or at the worst, the next seasonal year.

The only real awful thing the game penalizes you for is dieing in the mines which randomly causes you to loose like 5-10 items in your inventory. You can only pay to retrieve one of them. Lots will mod that out too.

Yeah stardew required a mindset adjustment for me; the days feel packed until you internalize that there’s no real pressure to optimize them, you just accomplish your goals (which are up to you to choose, really) more slowly.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Det_no posted:

God, there are like five million farming games now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

- I loved RF4
- I didn't like Stardew's fast pace
- I like making fwiends with NPCs
- If there is combat, it has to be decent (Stardew's wasn't, incidentally)
- Modding a plus but not required

I guess My Time At Sandrock is the latest hotness in this genre? Sandrock, Harvestella and Dinkum all look good but I figured I'd ask. Apparently the latest Harvest Moon is actually good too?

Dinkum is heavier on the Animal Crossing than the Stardew, and it's aggressively Australian.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Squiggle posted:

Its...what?

Sandrock is the answer, its combat is better than stardew's but I really think hoping for decent combat out of any of these feels like wishful thinking. There's no better "making friends with NPCs" game out there though.

The days were too short and I was not a fan of the community center either. The idea that you could miss out on a reward and only get it a whole year later when it might not even be useful anymore was crazy to me.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Beve Stuscemi posted:

They're all taken. Post up and say thank you at least, you cowards

This thread is public. As far as we know, someone who does not have a SA account took the remaining keys.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Det_no posted:

The days were too short and I was not a fan of the community center either. The idea that you could miss out on a reward and only get it a whole year later when it might not even be useful anymore was crazy to me.

Mmmm, gotcha. I guess I can see that, I just never approached the game with a sense of urgency in the first place. The seasonality felt natural, and always had plenty to do in the interim. Since time passes so quickly, it all comes back around soon enough. You'd probably still like Sandrock, then, I think - time is slower and there's not a community center concept, although there is certainly a yearly calendar and events.

Squiggle fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 22, 2023

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life
I don't know if it's because I've bought less stuff the last couple sales or what, but I found a bunch of stuff I wanted in this sale for some pretty good deals. Starcom:Nexus / Tony Hawk 1&2 / Ultrakill / Anno 1800 / Pizza Tower... and a few <$5 throw ins, and I don't think I paid over $15 for any game I got.

Now if only I could find some time to play all this stuff.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

disposablewords posted:

Anyone have anything resembling a strong opinion on Miasma Chronicles? It's one of the front-runners on my possibly-futile attempt to stick to a relatively sane budget on the sale.
Maybe not a strong opinion, it's okay? The quick comparison is if you played Mutant: Year Zero or Corruption 2029, Miasma Chronicles is a slightly tweaked version of the exact same turn-based tactical combat. The gameplay is pretty much all in small or medium-sized combat areas with a slight puzzle element, as you start off each map in stealth and need to eliminate as many isolated enemies as possible before attacking the core group, or you will be overwhelmed. There are some light RPG elements, with towns, sidequests, and character leveling. It looks pretty good, the setting is interesting, but the writing is weak. My main point is to get Miasma Chronicles if you like the core tactical gameplay, there isn't some redeeming quality outside of that.

Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden has a demo and the combat is very similar, if you'd like to check it out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Need a shooter. Dusk? Or WH40K Boltgun? I’m leaning Dusk.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

given the choice between the two, definitely dusk

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Dusk
Turbo Overkill
Amid Evil
Cultic

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Det_no posted:

God, there are like five million farming games now. Does anyone have any recommendations?

- I loved RF4
- I didn't like Stardew's fast pace
- I like making fwiends with NPCs
- If there is combat, it has to be decent (Stardew's wasn't, incidentally)
- Modding a plus but not required

I guess My Time At Sandrock is the latest hotness in this genre? Sandrock, Harvestella and Dinkum all look good but I figured I'd ask. Apparently the latest Harvest Moon is actually good too?

You've already played the best options.

My Time at Sandrock is probably a good pick if you thought SV was too fast paced. It is mostly like playing Robin instead of being a farming game. Still fun and chill. The My Time series is what I usually recommend to people as one of the top 3 games in the genre (the other two being RF4 and SV which you've already played).

RF5 is fine. It's disappointing after RF4, but then everything is. RF3 is also available on PC now.

Have you looked at Animal Crossing games?

Dinkum is fine, but boring, and not really a farming game. You have to unlock a specific character to even unlock farming, and even then, large scale farming isn't how you'll make most of your money probably. You can, but there are much better effort/profit options. There's a surprising amount of fighting (mean old crocodiles)

Harvestella is more of an adventure/role-playing game with farming trappings, but it's not a farming game like RF4, or SV.

Wylde Flowers has a demo. I suspect you'd like it better than either Dinkum or Harvestella.

You might take a look at Garden Paws too. There's no fighting in it at all. We enjoyed it for ~20 hours but ultimately but it down because it wasn't challenging enough, but you might enjoy it more.

Coral Island has crashed every time I've tried to play it, so I warn people about that, and it being generally buggy even for people it doesn't crash on.

If you ask in the Farming game thread we'll be delighted to talk about this all day.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My farming game recommendation is an N64 emulator and Harvest Moon 64 :hai:

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Cartoon Man posted:

Boltgun is decent but Dusk is one of the best in the genre.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Dusk it is. I’ll keep the others on the wishlist for another day or sale.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

deep dish peat moss posted:

My farming game recommendation is an N64 emulator and Harvest Moon 64 :hai:

I have so many fond memories of that game :hfive:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Kingdom of Amalur: I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the game might be too colorful? I want to turn the contrast down.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cartoon Man posted:

Amid Evil is a close second (or even better depending on who you ask), so think pretty hard about that one too.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

Don't forget to grab the freshly-come-out free HD DLC!

Substandard
Oct 16, 2007

3rd street for life

ultrafilter posted:

Amid Evil is a close second (or even better depending on who you ask), so think pretty hard about that one too.

At that point you'd really be silly not to get the whole New Blood FPS bundle and get Ultrakill too. It just makes sound financial sense.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Whoah Dusk is slick as hell, having fun!

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Whoah Dusk is slick as hell, having fun!

:hellyeah:

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

StrixNebulosa posted:

Kingdom of Amalur: I can't believe I'm saying this but I think the game might be too colorful? I want to turn the contrast down.

Alt-F4 fixes it.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Dumb question: I'd like to get my kid Bluey on PC for Christmas (I know it's not a great game but if you have kids you'll understand). It'll be on my Steam account but I'd like to buy it as a gift so that I can write the product key in a card and we can input it together. However the only gifting options are to send it directly to a friend, no option to email a product key. It's not available for purchase on any other storefronts like Humble either. Is there any other way to purchase a game and get a product key instead of associating it with your account? I understand why it's locked down but I'd like to give him something to open that tells him he's got the game. I might just have to write a card from Santa to say he's added it to daddy's Steam Deck.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Dumb question: I'd like to get my kid Bluey on PC for Christmas (I know it's not a great game but if you have kids you'll understand). It'll be on my Steam account but I'd like to buy it as a gift so that I can write the product key in a card and we can input it together. However the only gifting options are to send it directly to a friend, no option to email a product key. It's not available for purchase on any other storefronts like Humble either. Is there any other way to purchase a game and get a product key instead of associating it with your account? I understand why it's locked down but I'd like to give him something to open that tells him he's got the game. I might just have to write a card from Santa to say he's added it to daddy's Steam Deck.
You could try buying it through a different storefront, like Humble or Fanatical - they give you keys to transcribe to Steam.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Steam's the only place it's available for purchase unfortunately.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

That changes later on as you get closer to the whole semi-apocalypse that drives the plot. The art design is weird but it isn’t thoughtless.

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Someone's been skipping retina day

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Tinybuild, owners of Versus Evil, publishers of Banner Saga, POE2 Deadfire, Mothergunship among others.
Lays off entire team days before xmas.
Hooray for corporate ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_Evil
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TinyBuild

https://twitter.com/vs_evil/status/1738260315203059812

Looks like they also published Wintermoor Tactics Club.
Isnt that a goon dev?

Oh, how nice is this. Tinybuild just announced yesterday that Atari was investing $2mil in them.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/12/21/2799784/0/en/Atari-announces-investment-in-tinyBuild.html

OgNar fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 22, 2023

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So my phone is absolutely making it look worse than it is, but yeah, contrast is up way too high on KOA

.... which then led me to discover that my TV had itself set to "vivid" color mode instead of "just output what you're given" mode.

Anyways I'm sick and playing KOA because it's not very involved, fun, and easy to play while resting on a couch. Run around, do quests, look cool casting fireball.

I do genuinely like the setting of "if you do tarot readings and tell the future you're 100% correct and there's no way to change the future" and now this generic fantasy setting is just used to no free will, ever. Like that's weird and cool philosophically speaking, especially when applied to fae.

It's also a weirdly perfect way to justify main character syndrome. You're immune to fate gently caress yes. Local tarot readers hate you!

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

So my phone is absolutely making it look worse than it is, but yeah, contrast is up way too high on KOA

.... which then led me to discover that my TV had itself set to "vivid" color mode instead of "just output what you're given" mode.

Anyways I'm sick and playing KOA because it's not very involved, fun, and easy to play while resting on a couch. Run around, do quests, look cool casting fireball.

I do genuinely like the setting of "if you do tarot readings and tell the future you're 100% correct and there's no way to change the future" and now this generic fantasy setting is just used to no free will, ever. Like that's weird and cool philosophically speaking, especially when applied to fae.

It's also a weirdly perfect way to justify main character syndrome. You're immune to fate gently caress yes. Local tarot readers hate you!

It came out not long after Skyrim and made Skyrim look like dogshit IMO. The writing was better and actually kind of unique for games, it did respecs well (an early adopter of simple respecs, if not the first) and the mix and match class system was fantastic for the combat it used.

Also being able to go apeshit with crafting was a lot of fun.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?

harrygomm fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 16, 2024

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Ainsley McTree posted:

I think I’m sold now, thank you

Fuckin hell

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

StrixNebulosa posted:

KoA was way more fun than i expected when i played it last year. Easy rec for anyone looking for an ARPG

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Was running through my daily discovery queue and came across...this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3tR9e0OJs

I usually don't play idle games but it looks pretty rad.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Ragequit posted:

Was running through my daily discovery queue and came across...this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-w3tR9e0OJs

I usually don't play idle games but it looks pretty rad.

We've been discussing it a bit in the idle games thread, it is indeed pretty rad. The animations are funny and seeing the gnorps running around doing stuff is cute. It's not a tremendously long game but will require some thought to progress past a certain point because there's skills and upgrades that are more useful than others.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

OgNar posted:

Tinybuild, owners of Versus Evil, publishers of Banner Saga, POE2 Deadfire, Mothergunship among others.
Lays off entire team days before xmas.
Hooray for corporate ownership.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versus_Evil
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TinyBuild

https://twitter.com/vs_evil/status/1738260315203059812

Looks like they also published Wintermoor Tactics Club.
Isnt that a goon dev?

Oh, how nice is this. Tinybuild just announced yesterday that Atari was investing $2mil in them.
https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2023/12/21/2799784/0/en/Atari-announces-investment-in-tinyBuild.html

Checked the list of Versus Evil published games and at the bottom of the list is Stray Souls, which uh, might have something to do with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Alright, I got the My Time At X series and Volcano Princess too cause it looked fun. Thanks for the recommendations, folks.