Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Do you think you’ll do a screening of the director’s cut when it releases, Teagone?

:legion:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Noam Chomsky posted:

Do you think you’ll do a screening of the director’s cut when it releases, Teagone?

100% for sure. When both parts are out -- both extended hyperviolent R-rated cuts -- I will be absolutely be doing a double feature stream. [edit] I will also likely stream Rebel Moon Part 1 the day before Part 2 drops in April as well.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

teagone posted:

My guess is Netflix wanted a ~2 hour PG-13 family friendly cut for people on holiday to watch and this is what Snyder and his team were able to deliver. They also probably didn't want to cannibalize streaming numbers when there's potential for double dipping. It's dumb, but they did it and now all we can do is just wait.

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

teagone posted:

100% for sure. When both parts are out -- both extended hyperviolent R-rated cuts -- I will be absolutely be doing a double feature stream.

Awesome. Thanks!

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Noam Chomsky posted:

Awesome. Thanks!

Lots of Rebel Moon streaming in the future, lol, so no worries. The extended cut for Part 1 coming this summer is already on the streaming docket :getin:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Mordiceius posted:

Wouldn’t Snyder have had to agree to this hamfisted plan that brings him a bunch of bad press?

The plan was to always have a 2 hour cut, but I think read or watched something where it mentioned that Snyder cut a deal where he'd deliver a 2 hour family friendly cut (just in time for the holidays) but only if he gets to do his 3 hour hyperviolent cut. What critics have to think about and what the online response is to that sort of deal is something he probably doesn't give a poo poo about since he gets to make his 3 hour cut anyways lol.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Mordiceius posted:

He seems to just kind of shake it off shake it off shake it off

e: possibly while watching Barbie

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

what an awful concept

I do this with almost everything, is it not normal or something

Ugh, don't you just hate it when things spark your imagination?!!?

Mordiceius posted:

If bad press had any influence over him I think his career would look pretty different. Like he woulda retired after Dawn lol

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
It was alright, but as people have said, there are clearly edits to save the PG-13 rating, that first fight in the barn should clearly be bloodier. But I did like that slow mo on the poor stunt guy just getting spiked on his head, hope he got extra pay.

It's more Seven Samurai/Magnificent Seven than Star Wars and as people have said, the recruits don't get much time, but that's as a result on this being very much in the vein of Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning and Spider-Verse 2, this isn't a complete film. The part one in the title is needed, story isn't resolved, come back for part two in April! Like the movie in structure is just the recruitment of the team. The actual defence of the village is happening in part two, we don't get there yet!. Things like the One Solider Who Isn't A Rapist and Jimmy vanish from the movie, but will clearly be in part 2. Like also the resolution of what actually happened to the royal family and the Princess Who Has Jesus Powers .

But in theme, the movie is very much gently caress Fascists and Colonizers. It's all over the move, but very evidently in Boutella and Hounsou's characters, who are people who were conquered and made to serve, but are clearly deciding gently caress that.

It's a movie that is explicit in stating that you do not partner up with fascists hoping they are nice in return, the only sane option is to kill every Nazi you see, and your dying breath should be nothing but resistance against them, consider what Gunnar does at the start of the film and then his actions at the end, dude learned his lesson. Also that the oppressed should band together and fight as brothers, failing to do so betrays your very core.

It's also a film that asks what if Han Solo is a traitorous collaborator who should be shot in the loving head with a nail gun < Those are massive end of movie spoilers.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Sounds like Snyder made this movie to trick us into forgetting all his previous pro fascist movies

Well I'm too smart and good at reading (and doing other things good too) to fall for that! Negative five out of ten!!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

garycoleisgod posted:

It's also a film that asks what if Han Solo stuff < Those are massive end of movie spoilers.

gently caress sake, people read from left to right.

teagone posted:

hyperviolent

You use this word everytime you mention the longer cut, I hope theres more to it than just that from the reviews.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
The director's cut is going to own.
Yes, more time to breathe would be great but there is a lot of efficient visual storytelling shorthand used to understand who these people are. Djimon Hounsou ( who is somehow 59 years old, Jesus Christ what a shape he is in ) was in a coloseum in the city of Pollux on the planet Castor, is named Titus and is a former general. He is Maximus from Gladiator, if Djimon was cast as him instead of a side character and also if Maximus realized that maybe conquering other peoples was not that great and is wracked with guilt.
There is everything in this. Bounty hunter/cop Uruk Hai, Conan riding a griffin, another Conan reference by way of a non-binary actor playing a non-binary revolutionary named Milius, weird parasites speaking through their human hosts, lightsabers that are somehow cooler than actual lightsabers etc.

Generally speaking, it was fun, though not amazing, but elevated by the cast going ham and taking the material 100 percent seriously and Snyder's visual flair. I cannot wait to double feature the R rated cuts when both parts are out.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

Movie was good. I agree with the 7.5/10 rating. As others said, you could definitely feel where material was cut but none of that material is critical to the movie. It’s also definitely not Star Wars other than having a dirty and gritty universe with already established civilizations and tech. It’s just like Zack’s original film school pitch “seven samurai and dirty dozen in space”.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mordiceius posted:

Better to agree to a dumb plan that lets him eventually put out the version he wants instead of not getting it at all.

Sadly the days of Netflix giving big checks to let directors do whatever with little to no supervision seems to be over. Apple is where that's happening now.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mr. Apollo posted:

Movie was good. I agree with the 7.5/10 rating. As others said, you could definitely feel where material was cut but none of that material is critical to the movie. It’s also definitely not Star Wars other than having a dirty and gritty universe with already established civilizations and tech. It’s just like Zack’s original film school pitch “seven samurai and dirty dozen in space”.

There's lots of Star Wars in there, but it's more homages and allusions than it is "Zack Snyder's Andor" or whatever. The closest thing is them going to a space cantina to pick up a roguish pilot but even that's played more like a Western than it's similar to A New Hope. Otherwise it's like "Is there a camp, non-violent humanoid robot?" yes and he immediately gets shot.

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

josh04 posted:

There's lots of Star Wars in there, but it's more homages and allusions than it is "Zack Snyder's Andor" or whatever.

There's literally glowing red sword thingies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

They're a reference to 2002's The Scorpion King, hence the fight against a giant arachnid.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Also a glowing red sword falls under homages and allusions.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016
I really liked how Noble did not buy the lie about the harvest because everyone from the village was just too buff and hot. Also, his inability to understand that everyone contributes and everyone benefits, forcing Sindri to just humor him and pretend he agrees.

Majkol fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Dec 22, 2023

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mordiceius posted:

In a vacuum that'd be smart but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole JL debacle made him think that he can weather any amount of bad press so long as he still produces films people like.

And hell, maybe?

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

There's lots of Star Wars in there, but it's more homages and allusions than it is "Zack Snyder's Andor" or whatever. The closest thing is them going to a space cantina to pick up a roguish pilot but even that's played more like a Western than it's similar to A New Hope. Otherwise it's like "Is there a camp, non-violent humanoid robot?" yes and he immediately gets shot.
I was thinking more of the reviews that complained it was "Star Wars without the humor". I think some people were literally expecting Star Wars instead of "it has some Star Wars ideas".

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Schwarzwald posted:

In a vacuum that'd be smart but I wouldn't be surprised if the whole JL debacle made him think that he can weather any amount of bad press so long as he still produces films people like.

And hell, maybe?

It's funny that a bunch of failson idiots hate him but all the people who actually make movies love working with him. And every time those total shitlords fail at striking him down they hate him even more, to the point where mainstream people have picked up on the offputtingness.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Mr. Apollo posted:

I was thinking more of the reviews that complained it was "Star Wars without the humor". I think some people were literally expecting Star Wars instead of "it has some Star Wars ideas".

Star Wars has humor?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Star Wars has humor?

Han Solo is a comic relief character who gets a token serious arc in Empire Strikes Back before going right back to usual in Return of the Jedi.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Well, that won't happen in this one.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Han Solo is a comic relief character who gets a token serious arc in Empire Strikes Back before going right back to usual in Return of the Jedi.

I don't think he's a humorous character until Return but at that point he's kind of a caricature of himself from previous films. He's a more relaxed and less serious than the rest of the cast and he does bring a little levity to the film but I don't think he's humorous except for one scene where he's trying, and failing, to talk to the person on the comm after they shot up the prison in A New Hope.

You could say he's a rogue that a little puckish.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Majkol posted:

I really liked how Noble did not buy the lie about the harvest because everyone from the village was just too buff and hot. Also, his inability to understand that everyone contributes and everyone benefits, forcing Sindri to just humor him and pretend he agrees.

It also very quickly established that you shouldn't bargain or compromise with fascists and that the only real option is violent resistance

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

McCloud posted:

It also very quickly established that you shouldn't bargain or compromise with fascists and that the only real option is violent resistance

To be fair that was also the thesis from Man of Steel and that didn't stop the bread and roses shitlibs from calling him a fascist

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

To be fair that was also the thesis from Man of Steel and that didn't stop the bread and roses shitlibs from calling him a fascist
Both sides have good points and furthermore... :words:

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Depicted: Admiral Noble, Rebel Moon

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 22, 2023

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew
the circle sword sweep against the ground before the spider lady attacked was very zack snynder-eques that it made me laugh. Like why would anyone, even if they have lightsabers, would make a circle on the ground like that? It was only to show off, is that a thing this character does? is this a show-off style character? I dont know. The added soldiers did not have personality. The Conan guy, the sword lady, the gladiator were all super under whelming. It is like Zack Snyder has gotten bored with introducing characters and just wants to do "cool stuff." The spider ladies motivation of not having a child was oddly done, so the humans have destroyed the spider world for cobalt. Ok got that. Spider lady wants a child. Ok got that. The whole set up of spider lady kidnapping a child so that the farmer can help rescue the child was so lackluster that it was very paint my numbers. The imperials also only leaving soldiers at the village and not the Space Port was very laughable. So you have a giant space warping ship and come to dominate a village of 500 for 10,000 bushels of "grain" that part is very much "shut your brain off" moment. Toss some Imperial Soldiers in the space port, make it seem like the Empire is putting their boot on this moon.

A paint by numbers movie would be good and fine but it seems like Snyder is skipping numbers to get to what he wants to film. I would have liked Seven Samurai but in space, but it did not deliver on the soldiers. Maybe this film would be better as rated-R but it would probably be better as a TV-show.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
I feel like it was basically implied via these limitations that warp travel isnt super easy or fast, given the psychic vr comm scene at the end and the idea this particular legion of the Imperium has essentially been in this outskirt system for a long time.

Its very Dune in that regard, the technology isnt perfect and there are still limitations and basic needs like having to supply your army with food. It not being a totally automated and Star Trek-esque process is a more tactile world building choice and I like that kind of stuff. Gives it that feudal vibe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I didn’t like this. I wanted too but it gave me nothing to latch on to. I tried too but no one clicked for me and they just seemed to exist. I didn’t like the structure of them meeting someone and them doing an action scene thing. I felt like it didn’t have the fun of what a recruiting scene like that usually has.

But it also had a bunch of other issues too that in hindsight just frustrated me. Like how the world building felt super random and didn’t add much to the story.
Like the squid creature at the bar. It’s cool! I like it! But what does it mean? Who are these things that take over people as puppets? Are they threats? Idk, stuff like that I wish was more incorporated into the universe more.

Here’s my biggest issue tho, and one that’s gonna rile people up.

I don’t think Zack should be a DP. I think it does more harm to the film than good.

Honestly the movie looked mostly kind of ugly and smeary with that stupid lens which honestly Doesn’t work for me here. It really made it hard to soak in the details of the world.

There was some great shots every 5 meh shots. But I think the biggest offense that being your DP/Director brought is the acting.

The acting was pretty horrific at times from actors who are very established as awesome. There was a scene early on with Corey Stoll where it sounded like he flubbed his like but they kept it. Idk. Zack usually has solid acting in his films, so this was a bit jarring to me.

So yeah. I didn’t like it sorry. I’ll watch the directors cut and skip the part 2 until they release it’s directors cut.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

NotJustANumber99 posted:

You use this word everytime you mention the longer cut, I hope theres more to it than just that from the reviews.

The hyperviolent cut is also 3 hours instead of 2 hours, so clearly there's going to be more than just the added bloody bits.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

CelticPredator posted:

Like the squid creature at the bar. It’s cool! I like it! But what does it mean? Who are these things that take over people as puppets? Are they threats? Idk, stuff like that I wish was more incorporated into the universe
I'm cool with people not liking it, but this is such a weird criticism. Sometimes there are just strange greebly guys. They are cool. There was a dozen of them in the cantina in Star Wars. Your bff James Gunn had a bunch of weird guys in every GotG without going into detail about what their deal is. It establishes that humans are not the only sentient species in the universe.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

In context I thought the half-naked guy was getting off on it.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

No Luck Needed posted:

So you have a giant space warping ship and come to dominate a village of 500 for 10,000 bushels of "grain" that part is very much "shut your brain off" moment. Toss some Imperial Soldiers in the space port, make it seem like the Empire is putting their boot on this moon.
It's the same "the planet actually has, like, one city and that's it" of a lot of SF movies.

Watching it right now. The village stuff was nice. My main complain for now it's that clot of slow mo in the fights that didn't make any narrative sense.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Well the other thing is that village probably drew their attention because Gunnar went and sold their surplus harvest to the Bloodaxes.

It's shown that Noble's people are pulling on a lot of threads in that area of space.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo
Yeah, the mind squid, just by the fact nobody really reacts to it, just gives background flavour to the world.

And about the soldiers taking the food plot, the point is that they don't actually need it. They don't need to do most of their actions. They're doing it because they can. It's why the idea of the farmers appeasing them is stupid, they will never be satisfied, they can only be fought.

Both Cora and the Admiral are clear on this, they want everything.