Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Wow I had no clue archive.org actually saved youtube vids. Time to go through my 15-year-old favorites list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

F_Shit_Fitzgerald posted:

What is the song that starts at 32:34 in this Proper People video? I probably should know but I don't. It's a banger.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaeeZAphc2Q&t=1944s

Hell yeah, love me some The Proper People. Can't help you with the song unfortunately, and TPP never put song titles or attributions in their videos which has definitely driven me crazy before.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

aniviron posted:

Hell yeah, love me some The Proper People. Can't help you with the song unfortunately, and TPP never put song titles or attributions in their videos which has definitely driven me crazy before.

The video text does say the music except from the introduction is from this service, at least: https://www.musicbed.com

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

aniviron posted:

Yeah, they're one of my favorite urbex channels on Youtube. I just wish they had done a 'works cited' at the end or something. Maybe I'll see if No Music knows the song...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Arivia posted:

The video text does say the music except from the introduction is from this service, at least: https://www.musicbed.com

Yeah they always say that and I know they get a lot of their music from there but it's a huge licensing service, it would be like saying "hey if you liked this cool song we got it on soundcloud.com :)"

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I’m looking for a story that the teacher read to the class when I was a kid. The details are fairly fuzzy, but maybe somebody can help. This would have been late 80s, early 90s. It was a short story about a kid that either travels in time or space travel. The kid eventually makes it back home, but the mother has aged while they was gone and is now elderly. The illustration accompanying the text reminded me of a statue in a graveyard, but that might be dumb little kid logic. I don’t remember the gender of the kid and it might have been a brother and sister.

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
How about that dumb song lowtax made when he quit that gaming website that went "im out, cant you hear me im out, tired of playing all these stupid games"

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
A few years ago I was in a Habitat store and saw a smaller electric range/oven (burners, oven, etc.) that seemed to have wheels on the bottom instead of feet (this might have been a modification).

The REAL oddity about this was that it seemed to be running on 120V instead of 208-240V, which I've never been able to find an actual oven that is like this. I think some in-wall ovens have 120v versions, but this wasn't that. I recalled that it seemed fairly old, though.

It wasn't a countertop oven or anything, it appeared to be a regular oven with burners, maybe a little bigger than the size of one of those apartment ovens. I've looked and looked, but just about every hit I get is wall oven, countertop, or the cord is just to power various electrical components of the gas stove, and this was electric.

edit: I'll leave the question up because I took one more stab at it and found something like it on eBay that lists 120v. But looking up the model number information of the item online shows 200v+ on other sites.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 13, 2023

MoonshineWilly
Feb 7, 2007

Damn you, harlot! Science and I know what we're doing!
I’m looking for a story that the teacher read to the class when I was a kid. The details are fairly fuzzy, but maybe somebody can help. This would have been late 80s, early 90s. It was a short story about a kid that either travels in time or space travel. The kid eventually makes it back home, but the mother has aged while they was gone and is now elderly. The illustration accompanying the text reminded me of a statue in a graveyard, but that might be dumb little kid logic. I don’t remember the gender of the kid and it might have been a brother and sister.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

MoonshineWilly posted:

Really, nobody got this in just over two hours I AM SHOCKED

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Maybe they're time travelling themselves. Or perhaps stuck in a time loop

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

MoonshineWilly posted:

Ah, I know this (I think) but the story I'm thinking of was in a really small book, that was part of a big collection we had at school that were just referred to as "five minute reads". They were all similar kind of, twilight zone, single gimmick "what if?" books, mostly sci fi. They all had a bold (different) colour and then a hand illustrated cover, but beyond that I couldn't tell you a single thing about them, and my cursory googling suggests that "five minute reads" might have been a name that Mrs. Phillips came up with herself.

Sorry.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

MoonshineWilly posted:

I've heard of this once before

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump
I'm reminded of reading a collection of sci-fi stories for kids in the early 90s at the school library. All the stories had a dystopian/spooky theme.

Of those I recall, one was with a pair of kids living on an ice planet, where summer happens when the local sun thaws a small patch of the planet for a short while. The kids have made it a game to calculate where the thawed patch shows up, and the younger precocious one has a track record of getting it right. Except he gets it wrong this year, and he can't handle it so he runs away into the dark and cold and they never find him.
Another was with a scientific expedition loking for alien life setting down on a desolate planet to look for evidence. There is a bit back and forth between a senior and junior scientist if this dead dirtball really is a good spot to dig, but they set the robots digging and sure enough they start finding skeletons. An analysis of a skull helps them create a model of the aliens' speech, and upon playback the model starts lising off names of car brands. It was Earth all along and the scientists are the aliens.
A more dystopic one is with a clever kid who goes to a hiring agency for an interview. On his way there he meets a friend leaving the agency, lamenting the tests are difficult. Most of the story is a conversation between the kid and the interviewer who becomes more and more despondent as the story progresses and the kid gets all the questions right, and with the kid noticing the sound of machinery slowly spooling up on the floor beneath. At the conclusion of the interview the kid is asked to wait a moment in an adjoining room, from where he then is teleported into a small holding pen orbiting the moon. The interviewer talks to him over the radio, lamenting his situation as clever people are a threat to society but since he aced the test he's allowed a small respite to enjoy the view. Out a viewing port the kid sees skulls or skeletons also in orbit around the moon. The story concludes with the door opening and the kid being sucked into space.

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

A more dystopic one is with a clever kid who goes to a hiring agency for an interview. On his way there he meets a friend leaving the agency, lamenting the tests are difficult. Most of the story is a conversation between the kid and the interviewer who becomes more and more despondent as the story progresses and the kid gets all the questions right, and with the kid noticing the sound of machinery slowly spooling up on the floor beneath. At the conclusion of the interview the kid is asked to wait a moment in an adjoining room, from where he then is teleported into a small holding pen orbiting the moon. The interviewer talks to him over the radio, lamenting his situation as clever people are a threat to society but since he aced the test he's allowed a small respite to enjoy the view. Out a viewing port the kid sees skulls or skeletons also in orbit around the moon. The story concludes with the door opening and the kid being sucked into space.

This one could be The Vacancy, which you can read here.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Dead Sex-Parrot posted:

I'm reminded of reading a collection of sci-fi stories for kids in the early 90s at the school library. All the stories had a dystopian/spooky theme.

Of those I recall, one was with a pair of kids living on an ice planet, where summer happens when the local sun thaws a small patch of the planet for a short while. The kids have made it a game to calculate where the thawed patch shows up, and the younger precocious one has a track record of getting it right. Except he gets it wrong this year, and he can't handle it so he runs away into the dark and cold and they never find him.

This one, if you skew the details slightly, sounds like All Summer in a day by Ray Bradbury.

Dumb Sex-Parrot
Dec 25, 2020

Absurd Pox Term
Rad Buxom Strep

Retard Ox Bumps
Borax Dumpster

Dares Box Trump

Zathril posted:

This one could be The Vacancy, which you can read here.

That's definitely it. I remember the details about his bike being very special. Thanks! :)

a friendly penguin posted:

This one, if you skew the details slightly, sounds like All Summer in a day by Ray Bradbury.

Thanks for putting in the effort but this isn't it based on its synopsis. I think the kids in my story were brothers, and they wore space suits because the young one turned off his suit's radio when he ran away.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
A White Whale for a friend.

quote:

Years ago I found a sketch of David Lynch and I really want it tattooed. It could have been this. But it was like a scratchy, sloppy sketch. But he may have been smoking in it. Can't find it anywhere

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

A White Whale for a friend.

this might be difficult because I quickly found tons of stuff that fits the bill

hard to narrow down without more specifics

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

This fits the bill more than anything I've come across so far so I'll check with him. Thanks a lot.

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
Maybe I'm not the kind of person to be excited by tattoo ideas anyway, but for what it's worth I would think on getting a tattoo of a living person who might yet turn out to be some kind of awful creep

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

Maybe I'm not the kind of person to be excited by tattoo ideas anyway, but for what it's worth I would think on getting a tattoo of a living person who might yet turn out to be some kind of awful creep

David Lynch is the kind of person the world has already repeatedly tried to cancel and everyone around him has stood up and gone “gently caress you gently caress that he’s too good to do that to.”

Back during the shooting of Blue Velvet in 1986 movie critics attacked Lynch, saying that he was abusing Isabella Rossellini due to what must have been required to shoot all the erotic content. Rossellini herself stated that she might have been naked a lot, but she never felt more respected, more safe, or more cared for on a film set. This pattern has continued throughout the rest of Lynch’s work. He’s not a creep.

edit: to be clear you’re not wrong to be concerned in general, it’s just not something you need to worry about for David Lynch.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 16, 2023

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
Who’s David Lynch?

That’s obviously John Constantine.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
If the subject of your celebrity tattoo turns out to be a sex pest, you simply get the "no" symbol tattooed over it, so people know where you stand on the issue.

hark
May 10, 2023

I'm sleep

Slugworth posted:

If the subject of your celebrity tattoo turns out to be a sex pest, you simply get the "no" symbol tattooed over it, so people know where you stand on the issue.

I had to do this with my Epstein tattoo and it really isn't as simple and easy as you make it sound. It's a very emotional thing to have to do.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hark posted:

I had to do this with my Epstein tattoo and it really isn't as simple and easy as you make it sound. It's a very emotional thing to have to do.

Just tell people it’s Anthony Bourdain.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Slugworth posted:

There was an article in either the Washington Post or the Guardian yesterday about a woman who was getting a Kanye tattoo removed. It's a long painful process. The tattooist donated their time because it was getting rid of Kanye.

121423_2
Dec 14, 2023
people.....life.....existence......

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Arsenic Lupin posted:

a woman who was getting a Kanye tattoo removed. It's a long painful process.

I heard they have to burz um off

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I hope Drake never does something that makes the lady with the Drake forehead tattoo regret her decision

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Snowy posted:

I hope Drake never does something that makes the lady with the Drake forehead tattoo regret her decision

If she doesn’t already regret her Drizzy tattoo I doubt she ever will

Modal Auxiliary
Jan 14, 2005

Grassy Knowles posted:

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Grassy Knowles posted:

I think :thejoke:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
A sopranos clip on youtube about paulie asking why pissing, making GBS threads and loving all happen within a 2 inch radius, christopher answers nobody knows and vito says "theyre all sources of pleasure though" to paulie's disgust. It's very funny but apparently hard as hell to find, probably because of the subject matter

e: it's not the bigger clip with tony B using flash cards to study

Milo and POTUS fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Dec 22, 2023

Zathril
Nov 12, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

A sopranos clip on youtube about paulie asking why pissing, making GBS threads and loving all happen within a 2 inch radius, christopher answers nobody knows and vito says "theyre all sources of pleasure though" to paulie's disgust. It's very funny but apparently hard as hell to find, probably because of the subject matter

e: it's not the bigger clip with tony B using flash cards to study

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NSx6vcDKpI

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Fuuuck yes. That's it. Thanks :)

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Not really a white whale but my mind is drawing a blank. Movie intended for kids, early to mid 80s I think. As usual, aliens have been listening to our broadcasts, using them to learn about Earth and its inhabitants, come to visit. There's a scene where this big green bug-like alien wastes something like six days (at least that's what it feels like) just quoting and reenacting greatest-hits TV shows from the 50s and 60s on a stage, for some reason. Howdy Doody, Li'l Rascals kind of stuff that no kid in the 80s would care about, or find remotely entertaining. What's this movie? Just in case someone proposes putting it on, I need to prevent that.

Related, is there a term of art for directors who want to sell their childhood memories to subsequent generations like this? My teenage years in the 80s were poisoned by like Lucas and Spielberg shoving '57 Chevies and jukeboxes down our throats. But I guess there's shows like Stranger Things now, which I hear is set in the 80s. So there's some Gen X Spielbergs out there carrying the flag.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Tad Naff posted:

Not really a white whale but my mind is drawing a blank. Movie intended for kids, early to mid 80s I think. As usual, aliens have been listening to our broadcasts, using them to learn about Earth and its inhabitants, come to visit. There's a scene where this big green bug-like alien wastes something like six days (at least that's what it feels like) just quoting and reenacting greatest-hits TV shows from the 50s and 60s on a stage, for some reason. Howdy Doody, Li'l Rascals kind of stuff that no kid in the 80s would care about, or find remotely entertaining. What's this movie? Just in case someone proposes putting it on, I need to prevent that.

Maybe Explorers (1985)

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
That's probably the one, yeah. Thanks, more or less!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Tad Naff posted:

Related, is there a term of art for directors who want to sell their childhood memories to subsequent generations like this? My teenage years in the 80s were poisoned by like Lucas and Spielberg shoving '57 Chevies and jukeboxes down our throats. But I guess there's shows like Stranger Things now, which I hear is set in the 80s. So there's some Gen X Spielbergs out there carrying the flag.

not a specific term for it, i don't think, it's just considered part of a generalized nostalgia for a period of time