Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Majkol posted:

I'm cool with people not liking it, but this is such a weird criticism. Sometimes there are just strange greebly guys. They are cool. There was a dozen of them in the cantina in Star Wars. Your bff James Gunn had a bunch of weird guys in every GotG without going into detail about what their deal is. It establishes that humans are not the only sentient species in the universe.

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

Look how personal you made this because I didn't like this movie.

Don't be like twitter, CP. You're better than that.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially if there are no aliens on the crew, especially considering how consistently lame the handling of aliens has been in disney star wars also.

People have been noting the 40K and dune influences a lot, but those are settings where the aliens are pretty darn fleshed out and important and not really just randomly there. All in all I kinda see the complaint

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I hope the birb makes a sweet rear end comeback in part 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Don't be like twitter, CP. You're better than that.

???

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I don’t think calling Gunn your bff is intended as a personal insult there, you’ve made it clear how much of a fan you are. If someone said Zack was my bff I’d just be like “man I wish

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

No Mods No Masters posted:

It does seem like a bit of a missed opportunity, especially if there are no aliens on the crew, especially considering how consistently lame the handling of aliens has been in disney star wars also.

People have been noting the 40K and dune influences a lot, but those are settings where the aliens are pretty darn fleshed out and important and not really just randomly there. All in all I kinda see the complaint

One quibble: Dune doesn't have aliens, though.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Guy A. Person posted:

I don’t think calling Gunn your bff is intended as a personal insult there, you’ve made it clear how much of a fan you are. If someone said Zack was my bff I’d just be like “man I wish

It absolutely was a slight homie.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

One quibble: Dune doesn't have aliens, though.

Are the face dancers not technically aliens? It's honestly been too long since I read the later books. Fair if so but even if they're engineered humans or whatever I would say they basically function as aliens in the setting

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i mean i get that 'sapient' is kinda implicit here, but the sandworms are definitely aliens

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

we all love wurm

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I don't know if its the lens or what but I agree with CP, what I've seen of the film looks greasy or blurry or something

It almost looks like 300? I'm not sure what it is

Are the face dancers not technically aliens? It's honestly been too long since I read the later books. Fair if so but even if they're engineered humans or whatever I would say they basically function as aliens in the setting

Technically not but they also have their own agenda and region of space that no one's aware of by the end of the last book Frank actually wrote so they may as well be by that point

They've been around a while before that though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

it's the lens he used. honestly it didnt bother me in Army of the Dead because to me, that film is really a artists catharsis. It's Zack coming off of tragedy, and the horrible JL experience and just going you know what I want to try this and this and this and I don't care. And maybe it doesn't work. Maybe it does. But it doesn't matter because it was a joy to see an artist play.

So the weird lens? Idk if it works thematically or whatever and Idk even know if it worked super well. But hey, guy played.

This? Idk. It didn't feel right. I wish it was used more sparingly,.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

You know when someone criticizes Snyder and then a Snyder fan claps back, and then whoever made the criticism ends up going "wow, look at how rude these Snyder fans are...", that sort of online squabbling prevalent on Twitter. Not everything is a personal attack. You can say they were being rude with their response, but they were also bringing up an argument of double standards and using your affinity to James Gunn as an example.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
So when is the directors cut out?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

This? Idk. It didn't feel right. I wish it was used more sparingly,.

I actually felt he dialed back his application of bespoke lenses a bit more in Rebel Moon compared to Army of the Dead, lol.

The REAL Goobusters posted:

So when is the directors cut out?

This summer :getin:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This might just be a me thing, but I think a key component of the lucas-ian conception of "aliens are just randomly around" is to show a sort of solidarity. It's vitally important that they are shown to be mundanely part of the rebellion and basically sharing a normal desire with humans to not be oppressed. Neglecting this was one of the few big fuckups of andor to me.

So it does grate if this is yet another thing where aliens are around in the setting but not apparently interested in opposing fascism. It didn't cost too much to show that in 1983, it should be achievable now

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

edit resolved lol

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 22, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

This might just be a me thing, but I think a key component of the lucas-ian conception of "aliens are just randomly around" is to show a sort of solidarity. It's vitally important that they are shown to be mundanely part of the rebellion and basically sharing a normal desire with humans to not be oppressed. Neglecting this was one of the few big fuckups of andor to me.

So it does grate if this is yet another thing where aliens are around in the setting but not apparently interested in opposing fascism. It didn't cost too much to show that in 1983, it should be achievable now

Levitica was around and was explicitly interested in opposing fascism.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
Disagree on the dp complaints. I thought he was using focus variations a lot better here than in army of the dead. Army was almost an experiment with that, where he he seemed to have it streamlined more.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Levitica was around and was explicitly interested in opposing fascism.

Levitca's death was so loving brutal even in this PG13fied version.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013
Alright, so, who the hell is the "Child of Fire"? Seems like it's inferring the princess even though she's barely mentioned and only seen once in a flashback.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's the same "the planet actually has, like, one city and that's it" of a lot of SF movies.

Watching it right now. The village stuff was nice. My main complain for now it's that clot of slow mo in the fights that didn't make any narrative sense.

Everything with the village was solid. The rest felt like a Mass Effect run that did the bare minimum companion dialogue and wrong warped to the final boss.

I would've waited if I'd know there was an hour missing. They only get me once with that though. Now I'm waiting until all the parts are out. :science:

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
There’s quite a few aliens in this one. You have the bounty hunters who support fascism. The bar aliens who do scummy bar things. There’s the spider lady who is a victim of fascist expansion and thinks the best response is terror on the citizens. And finally the alien king who helps the rebels fight the fascists.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

TheMopeSquad posted:

Alright, so, who the hell is the "Child of Fire"? Seems like it's inferring the princess even though she's barely mentioned and only seen once in a flashback.

Kora. She was a conscripted child soldier molded in the fires of war.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

TheMopeSquad posted:

The titular Child of Fire is us, the audience.

TheMopeSquad
Aug 5, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

The titular Child of Fire is us, the audience.

:psyboom:

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

- The bird sequence was really nice stuff. Even more the ending.
- The fight against the spider woman thing was completely nonsensical. Pure trash.
- WAY to go, Gunnar!
- Ok, this fights was really confusing and messy.

In the end, the storytelling is interesting, I really liked the vibes and the SF tech and worldbuilding in general, there is some nonsensical stuff here and there but I don't think it's a problem.
All the characters that are not Kora or Gunnar are incredibly underdeveloped. You don't really need very deep characters in a movie like this, you want them just to be likeable, to do cool stuff and/or to die in a cool, heroic way, but outside their introduction they really where kinda just there. Titus in particular is completely irrelevant, basically a living prop. Since this is only part one, though, I expect more. I read people saying about them having flashbacks int he longer cut, but I'd prefer if they just did something relevant in the story (also, I must say, I'm not a fan of flashbacks as a storytelling device for a movie).
The fights were probably the most boring part. I really didn't care for most of them. The fistfight at the end was good though.

No Luck Needed
Mar 18, 2015

Ravel Crew

YggdrasilTM posted:

It's the same "the planet actually has, like, one city and that's it" of a lot of SF movies.

Watching it right now. The village stuff was nice. My main complain for now it's that clot of slow mo in the fights that didn't make any narrative sense.

Well the other thing is that village probably drew their attention because Gunnar went and sold their surplus harvest to the Bloodaxes.

It's shown that Noble's people are pulling on a lot of threads in that area of space.

these go together, the Village was targeted before any bounty hunters were introduced to the story. If the Admiral had said "we want the grain, the vegetables, the livestock, we want it all" that makes more sense, we want "grain" ok dude, here is 10,000 bushels of millet. You didnt say what kind of grain. I can grow Flax in 90 days, maybe faster on a fantasy space moon. Come back for your 10,000 bushels of bird feed.

it is dumb that in sci-fi a planet has only one "big city" it is also dumb that they waste rocket fuel on gathering grain. It is like Snyder wanted to do Seven Samurai, did word replace "grain" for "rice" and didnt think a second thought about it.

great point here

this is amazing, in Star Wars you dont think about aliens at all. The Empire vs the Rebels is a human conflict. Aliens are only introduced as Rebels in the third movie. Making aliens set dressing does really make this space fantasy low rent. It is like the spider-lady, is she a native to the cobalt mining planet? Then all humans are the bad guys to her. The Star Wars prequals added more aliens in politics, jedi, sith, and made them more part of the story. Star Wars is still a human story in all 3 trilogies. Maybe "the last starfighter" did alien race and war the best

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Last starfighter is a good time

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

No Luck Needed posted:

these go together, the Village was targeted before any bounty hunters were introduced to the story. If the Admiral had said "we want the grain, the vegetables, the livestock, we want it all" that makes more sense, we want "grain" ok dude, here is 10,000 bushels of millet. You didnt say what kind of grain. I can grow Flax in 90 days, maybe faster on a fantasy space moon. Come back for your 10,000 bushels of bird feed.

it is dumb that in sci-fi a planet has only one "big city" it is also dumb that they waste rocket fuel on gathering grain. It is like Snyder wanted to do Seven Samurai, did word replace "grain" for "rice" and didnt think a second thought about it.

Well, why didn't the village in seven samurai hand over a large amount of bird feed?

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

josh04 posted:

Well, why didn't the village in seven samurai hand over a large amount of bird feed?

Because they asked for rice.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

YggdrasilTM posted:

- Ok, this fights was really confusing and messy.

Honestly, yeah, the final fight is hard to keep track of. That being said, it did have Ray Fisher taking down a Star Destroyer with a spear and a running leap so I have decided to forgive it its faults.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose
grains complaints is the dumbest thing.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I do want to know why the grain was super important in this universe.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Schwarzwald posted:

Honestly, yeah, the final fight is hard to keep track of. That being said, it did have Ray Fisher taking down a Star Destroyer with a spear and a running leap so I have decided to forgive it its faults.

Kai's death to spark that final fight was very satisfying. gently caress that bitchass turncoat.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

CelticPredator posted:

Same reason it's important in this universe. Army gotta eat, no farms on your giant space submarine.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

Schwarzwald posted:

Yeah I’m hoping extended version fleshes out this gun fight a bit. Going from being imprisoned to pushing back bad dudes wasn’t the clearest layout.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

Did you see how hot and sexy everyone was on Veldt? Everyone wants that grain grown in fertile rear end land to make them all hot and sexy too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

josh04 posted:

Same reason it's important in this universe. Army gotta eat, no farms on your giant space submarine.

Also space beer. Motherworlda craft game is weak.