Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Wipfmetz posted:

Germanic, not german. German got kinda frenchified over the course of the recent centuries. One of the common examples is Fester/Window.
"Window" has a germanic base (wind-auge aka wind-eye aka 'the bit in your wall where wind and sight comes in'), but "Fenster" has a french base (fenetre).
And other stuff, like German & French using real grammar instead. English only has three cases, it's a baby language for baby people. It does compensate with two squirrels, and that's cute.

Those are cats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

Wipfmetz posted:

Germanic, not german. German got kinda frenchified over the course of the recent centuries. One of the common examples is Fester/Window.
"Window" has a germanic base (wind-auge aka wind-eye aka 'the bit in your wall where wind and sight comes in'), but "Fenster" has a french base (fenetre).
And other stuff, like German & French using real grammar instead. English only has three cases, it's a baby language for baby people. It does compensate with two squirrels, and that's cute.

Uncle Fenster

In all seriousness though, it's more likely a loan word that made its way into Old West Germanic through Latin ('fenestra') because it still retains the S, whereas in 'fenêtre' it already disappeared (you can tell there used to be an S there because of the accent circonflexe).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Wipfmetz posted:

The world is baby now.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf

Pope Hilarius II posted:

Uncle Fenster

In all seriousness though, it's more likely a loan word that made its way into Old West Germanic through Latin ('fenestra') because it still retains the S, whereas in 'fenêtre' it already disappeared (you can tell there used to be an S there because of the accent circonflexe).

Don't stop there -- it's one of the few Etruscan loan words in living languages.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tei posted:

Luxemburguess is a language? I trough they would speak french, or german or something from the a country in the area.

Edit:

Sounds german to me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Jfor9KJdE

it's not a language because while they have an army, they lack a navy

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

ChubbyChecker posted:

it's not a language because while they have an army, they lack a navy

They need to take control of a river or lake, and militarize it.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Saladman posted:

No, it would be called a patois. Pidgin and creole don’t make sense in that context, as those words are indicative of how the language originally developed, which would not be the case for Luxembourgish or Dutch or Occitan. it’s not a common imposed language by mass immigration or colonial powers. Luxembourgish has a ton of French loanwords because of French political domination since 1800, but it’s not really to the extent of being a creole, like say, English circa 1300.

Swiss German is a patois, as is Darja. The big difference with those two (far bigger) vs Luxembourgish being considered languages is that Swiss German and Darja have no standard orthography or literature (except really, really niche books - even more niche than Luxembourgish) and no one e.g. does a school report in Swiss German, even in primary school. Luxembourgish was a patois until whenever it was they standardized it and upgraded it to a real language in like the late 1990s or early 2000s.

switzerlandish is a language:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navies_of_landlocked_countries

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

steinrokkan posted:

I have some bad news for you if you think English is a bastion against the frenchificacion of Germanic languages

English is a creole developed by Norman mercenaries flirting with Saxon barmaids.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
gendered languages are utter lunacy. that table over there? a dude. this toothbrush? obviously a lady

pure nonsense

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lemniscate Blue posted:

English is a creole developed by Norman mercenaries flirting with Saxon barmaids.

Groda
Mar 17, 2005

Hair Elf
Beef comes from French and cow from English, because the English can't cook.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

redleader posted:

gendered languages are utter lunacy. that table over there? a dude. this toothbrush? obviously a lady

pure nonsense

esperanto mostly avoided all of that but then they forgot to make a standardized gender ambiguous or gender neutral singular pronoun so its either microreform movements or awkward workarounds.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

redleader posted:

pure nonsense

yeah thats nonsense. tables are obviously female

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

No no tables are gender neutral but chairs are male and meals are Female.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

drk posted:

According to this highly scientific illustration, English is the most German language of all

The Urdu cat stalking the Hindi birds seems loaded.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

redleader posted:

pure nonsense

I am native spanish speaker and I agree. For programming, it can lead to variables that can end in -o or -a, and you never remember the right genre

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

redleader posted:

pure nonsense

I always interpret it (as somebody who doesn't speak a gendered language) as "There are at least two or three kinds of things, so there are that many kinds of words to refer to things. Men and women are different enough that if you have multiple kinds of words, you split them up." What I'm saying is that dudes are like tables and ladies are like toothbrushes, not the other way around.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

at least in portuguese i'll hazard a guess that what happened is that (simplifying a bit) some nouns ended with -a and some nouns ended with -o, and for some reason whoever made up the language also decided that there's going to be different prepositions for these nouns, and some other nerd decided to call these different buckets "male" and "female", and call the bucket "gender" because *throws stack of papers*

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
The flags are the most represented foreign country in each country's football leagues

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

i would’ve guessed italians are the biggest foreign presence of at least one european nation, wow.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

abelwingnut posted:

i would’ve guessed italians are the biggest foreign presence of at least one european nation, wow.

Italian lads aren't allowed to leave home until they are 30, let alone move country. ;)

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Portugal is eastern Poland.

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

abelwingnut posted:

Strong domestic league system + extremely old demographics, I guess.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

at least in portuguese i'll hazard a guess that what happened is that (simplifying a bit) some nouns ended with -a and some nouns ended with -o, and for some reason whoever made up the language also decided that there's going to be different prepositions for these nouns, and some other nerd decided to call these different buckets "male" and "female", and call the bucket "gender" because *throws stack of papers*

In other languages, the grammatical genders are not linked to social genders, so for example Swahili has twenty something grammatical genders if I recall correctly. It's a happy (not really) accident that Indo-European decided to conflate the two.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BonHair posted:

In other languages, the grammatical genders are not linked to social genders, so for example Swahili has twenty something grammatical genders if I recall correctly. It's a happy (not really) accident that Indo-European decided to conflate the two.
The simplest solution is to maintain the grammatical genders and blow up the social genders.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The simplest solution is to maintain the grammatical genders and blow up the social genders.

Nah, Finnish style blowing up both is the way to go. Nouns are just nouns, but if you really want you can distinguish between humans and non humans.

Unless you're saying blow up all men, in which case, yeah, sure, let's go.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Nah, Finnish style blowing up both is the way to go. Nouns are just nouns, but if you really want you can distinguish between humans and non humans.

Unless you're saying blow up all men, in which case, yeah, sure, let's go.
We have to keep grammatical genders, otherwise Mario, Maria, and Marie will end up with the same names.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

A Buttery Pastry posted:

We have to keep grammatical genders, otherwise Mario, Maria, and Marie will end up with the same names.

Ah yes, the three genders: Italian, Swedish and Danish

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

Not the usual positive progress these maps show over time. Argentina in particular is awful.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BonHair posted:

Ah yes, the three genders: Italian, Swedish and Danish
That's masculine, feminine, and neuter.

Blut posted:

Not the usual positive progress these maps show over time. Argentina in particular is awful.
I feel like Venezuela is worse.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

That's masculine, feminine, and neuter.

I feel like Venezuela is worse.

Yes but Argentina went from upper middle to just plain undeveloped.

Venezuela went from bad to terrible but Argentina went from great for Latin America to what the hell

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Guess there's now only three types of countries in economic theory.

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad
Congratulations to Paraguay for being the only country to show improvement.

Suriname isn't labeled, so possibly they did as well. No idea what's going on with French Guiana.

I do get a little amusement over the "people per capita" bit in the explanation at the bottom.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Argentina used to be richer than Europe lol. We'll see how the new guy manages to gently caress it up even more somehow.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Blut posted:

I mean, is this exchange rate adjusted? Because that could be throwing pretty much everyone far off.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine

mobby_6kl posted:

Argentina used to be richer than Europe lol. We'll see how the new guy manages to gently caress it up even more somehow.

This is from 10 years ago, but is just as accurate today as it was then. The whole article is worth reading, but a few select highlights:

quote:

These are emblems of Argentina’s Belle Époque, the period before the outbreak of the first world war when the country could claim to be the world’s true land of opportunity. In the 43 years leading up to 1914, GDP had grown at an annual rate of 6%, the fastest recorded in the world. The country was a magnet for European immigrants, who flocked to find work on the fertile pampas, where crops and cattle were propelling Argentina’s expansion. In 1914 half of Buenos Aires’s population was foreign-born.

The country ranked among the ten richest in the world, after the likes of Australia, Britain and the United States, but ahead of France, Germany and Italy. Its income per head was 92% of the average of 16 rich economies. From this vantage point, it looked down its nose at its neighbours: Brazil’s population was less than a quarter as well-off.

Simon Kuznets, a Nobel laureate, is supposed to have remarked: “There are four kinds of countries in the world: developed countries, undeveloped countries, Japan and Argentina.”

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2014/02/17/a-century-of-decline

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I am also having trouble believing that every single country in South America (except Paraguay) has a worse poverty rate than a decade ago, regardless of economic system or demographics, unless the 2022 figure is a snapshot of the immediate aftereffects of covid.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
E. Misread

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

I am also having trouble believing that every single country in South America (except Paraguay) has a worse poverty rate than a decade ago, regardless of economic system or demographics, unless the 2022 figure is a snapshot of the immediate aftereffects of covid.

Guyana is especially surprising, since their GDP per capita has like quintupled since 2012. Yeah it’s not going to be evenly distributed but I can’t believe it got that much worse either, especially not if those are raw or inflation-adjusted dollars (rather than PPP adjusted plus inflation adjusted dollars).

In a quick google it looks like the 2022 number might be right, but the 2012 number was more like 60% in poverty. I haven’t exactly done a research paper on it, but I don’t see any indicators that Guyana got worse for the average person in those 10 years, and macroeconomically (as much as a tiny country can have a macroeconomy) got way better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yes but Argentina went from upper middle to just plain undeveloped.

Venezuela went from bad to terrible but Argentina went from great for Latin America to what the hell
Depending on the distribution of income, a large portion of the populace in a given country might be just on the cusp of falling below whatever threshold you're working with, especially since income distribution is usually flatter at the low end. To drop the entire 30-90% range into poverty likely requires a far more precipitous drop in living standards, including for the lower percentiles that the threshold makes obvious in Argentina.

Blut posted:

This is from 10 years ago, but is just as accurate today as it was then. The whole article is worth reading, but a few select highlights:

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2014/02/17/a-century-of-decline
The Argentinian economy was killed by German expats following the end of WW2.