Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

crepeface posted:

I really don't want to give imgur my phone number.

Just give them some random number. It's not like they call you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Skarsnik posted:

Bearing in mind discord media links expire pretty quickly outside discord itself I'm not sure it's something that should be encouraged

Just call people idiots whenever they do it imo

This was also the appropriate solution to twitter embeds but that got work done to accommodate it for some reason

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

crepeface posted:

lol I love how hard it is to post an image on the internet in the year of our lord 2023

Related to this, I love how the wide world of GIFs have been turbofucked by Tenor, Pinterest, GetYarn, Giphy, etc.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
My favourite thing is all those sites that try desperately to stop me from saving an image to my computer, only to be roundly and swiftly defeated by my secret cutting edge "take screen shot" key

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Dabir posted:

This was also the appropriate solution to twitter embeds but that got work done to accommodate it for some reason

Discord specifically has a server-side system in place to expire URLs to media after a few days. Inside of Discord, they silently update those URLs, but outside, of course, they don't. In other words, there's no reliable way to fetch Discord-hosted content except for by going to a Discord channel that has that content embedded in it.

Twitter still relies on URLs to tweets being consistent forever. They just hosed with their API for fetching the tweet content. But as long as the content is consistently available at a fixed location, code can be written to fetch and display it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Yeah, Twitter is deliberately designed for tweets to be embedded in other sites, it's a part of their business model. Using discord to host images is just hijacking their bandwidth, they're not meant to be permanent links.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I was going to suggest switching to postimages.org, but it appears that they don't have a public API.

Microplastics posted:

My favourite thing is all those sites that try desperately to stop me from saving an image to my computer, only to be roundly and swiftly defeated by my secret cutting edge "take screen shot" key

Or using NoScript to block their script.

MikeJF posted:

Yeah, Twitter is deliberately designed for tweets to be embedded in other sites, it's a part of their business model. Using discord to host images is just hijacking their bandwidth, they're not meant to be permanent links.

It's always morally correct to hijack Discord's bandwidth.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I mean, morally correct maybe, but if the image host's bandwidth is being in any way affected by being hotlinked on these dead gay forums in the year 2023, maybe no one should use that host. The issue is that discord has no interest in keeping the images available beyond immediate consumption, which sucks for forums usage where I'm reading years old threads about elf dildos.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
The exact opposite is actually true: Discord has gone to great lengths on multiple occasions to break off-site linking despite being one of the only such services that makes money and hosting/serving images being an absolutely trivial rounding error of an expense. It's just a lovely app run by lovely people.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
So now that Bluesky posts (they're not REALLY called skeets are they?) are public, could those go online too or is it different enough from Twitter that that wouldn't work?

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

So now that Bluesky posts (they're not REALLY called skeets are they?) are public, could those go online too or is it different enough from Twitter that that wouldn't work?

It's still in the weird invite only stage like Gmail when it first came out.

Is it worth it when it's still gated?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

EVIL Gibson posted:

Can't be any worse than this dead gated forum

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

MikeJF posted:

Supporting Twitter's business model is more point-and-jeer worthy than leeching off Discord's

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Awful: the Everything App

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Dabir posted:

Supporting Twitter's business model is more point-and-jeer worthy than leeching off Discord's

nobody gives a poo poo

the point is that hotlinking images from someone who doesn't want their images to be hotlinked usually means that those hotlinked images don't stick around for very long

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The server owner can also do things like replace them with goatse or something

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Main Paineframe posted:

nobody gives a poo poo

the point is that hotlinking images from someone who doesn't want their images to be hotlinked usually means that those hotlinked images don't stick around for very long

Please let the class know how linking images from Waffleimages, which existed explicitly and specifically for SomethingAwful users to host and link images from, worked out.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

EVIL Gibson posted:

I think so, being how absolutely easy it is for anyone who wants to get an invite code now.
And because people in the Twitter thread post links to bsky regularly and it would make it nicer to read

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

drat. I guess I need to make an imgur account now.

We're really going to need our own image hosting, one of these days 😕

astral
Apr 26, 2004

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Please let the class know how linking images from Waffleimages, which existed explicitly and specifically for SomethingAwful users to host and link images from, worked out.

Some of them were lost because waffleimages used a distributed hosting model and several mirrors dropped out without warning, but a majority of the images were preserved by heroic individuals. :)

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Diamonds On MY Fish posted:

I think so, being how absolutely easy it is for anyone who wants to get an invite code now.
And because people in the Twitter thread post links to bsky regularly and it would make it nicer to read

The big problem was that non-users couldn't see posts on bluesky. This just changed today so no problem now.

And getting an account might seem easier for someone that already got in.

Lobok posted:

Can't be any worse than this dead gated forum

:10bux:?

Hyperlynx posted:

drat. I guess I need to make an imgur account now.

We're really going to need our own image hosting, one of these days 😕

Lest we forget imageshack and (as someone mentioned ) waffleimages

They imgur thing about images being for sure saved if you made an account while they still haven't deleted older images is because they have not runout of space.... yet.

What they did is called prioritization. If they need more disk space , it's easy to tell which data to delete. Query in the image database for the older images for images not under an account and delete.

There will be a time when they are not making enough money and cannot just buy more space .

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Dec 24, 2023

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

EVIL Gibson posted:

The big problem was that non-users couldn't see posts on bluesky. This just changed today so no problem now.

And getting an account might seem easier for someone that already got in.

(I have a handful of codes. If someone wants one, PM me.)

VVV Thanks. VVV

Uthor fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Dec 24, 2023

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Uthor posted:

(I have a handful of codes. If someone wants one, PM me.)

There's a thread for posting codes in I think GBS.

Edit: it's in pyf

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

FIX SIGNS posted:

Are you going to be updating the Kindle Fire version?

If not, is there a direct, official link to the android .APK so I can sideload it without having to go to a sketchy APK site?

Thanks! :buddy:

Submitted the current version to the Amazon app store. As always, the Amazon version is available, not supported :v: That goes even more so if you download it on windows, which is apparently a thing now?

Edit: and it's published already apparently? A bit earlier than the 31st that was estimated :shrug:

Sereri fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 26, 2023

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Probably obvious, but it's worth checking the open by default settings if you haven't already, sometimes things go weird there with updates or something. I had this happen with the last announcement, and one of my phones had that disabled (which may have been me testing something and then forgetting to change back) but the other was set to ask which app to use every time (not a setting I would ever assign it myself).

thank you so much for this. it's been bugging me for months 🥹

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Lazy_Liberal posted:

thank you so much for this. it's been bugging me for months 🥹

Oh! Had it turned on, but had to add the link that I wanted it to open.

FIX SIGNS
Aug 29, 2006

You're fucking great,
just do what you can.

Sereri posted:

Submitted the current version to the Amazon app store. As always, the Amazon version is available, not supported :v: That goes even more so if you download it on windows, which is apparently a thing now?

Edit: and it's published already apparently? A bit earlier than the 31st that was estimated :shrug:

Got the update and all the issues I've been having after gone!

Thanks!

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

I can't connect my imgur account using G-login, anyone with the same problem?

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Helluva posted:

I can't connect my imgur account using G-login, anyone with the same problem?

Yup I'm having a terrible time trying to link my Imgur account to the Awful app.

I just wanna post photos of the beach :(

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )
Cool Imgur demands a phone number, then says using a phone number isn't allowed in my country (:australia:) gently caress my drag, right?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
Haven't been able to get my imgur account setup over the last week or so of trying. Anyone else getting the below error:

{"data":{"error":"Too Many Requests","request":"\/oauth2\/authorize","method":"POST"},"success":false,"status":429}

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

2DCAT posted:

Haven't been able to get my imgur account setup over the last week or so of trying. Anyone else getting the below error:

{"data":{"error":"Too Many Requests","request":"\/oauth2\/authorize","method":"POST"},"success":false,"status":429}

too many requests for sailor, sad.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Chewbecca posted:

Yup I'm having a terrible time trying to link my Imgur account to the Awful app.

I just wanna post photos of the beach :(

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

sourdough posted:

:hmmyes: works

Helluva
Feb 7, 2011

Works with Chrome only, failed with Firefox.

Pipboy 3000
Oct 16, 2008

Designed to put that "good feeling" in you.
Hello, I was wondering if this app has support for downloading threads for offline reading, or if that might be added. Didn't see it in the OP and couldn't find info on it easily on my phone app. Thanks for any details on this!

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Pipboy 3000 posted:

Hello, I was wondering if this app has support for downloading threads for offline reading, or if that might be added. Didn't see it in the OP and couldn't find info on it easily on my phone app. Thanks for any details on this!

I don't think it does, but if you load a bunch of pages in advance you should be able to then revisit and read them (images and all) while offline. Not optimal but only takes a minute or two and you can even reset the 'last post read' count so you don't lose your place. You probably already know this so apologies if this comes across as captain obvious over here

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
Anyway, I have a question of my own. I don't know if this is an App thing or an OS thing, but I recently switched phones and the "Web Search" option has disappeared from my long tap context menu. Any ideas how I get that back? (and even better: how can I customise this menu, so I can get rid of Office Note?)

Sywert of Thieves
Nov 7, 2005

The pirate code is really more of a guideline, than actual rules.

It doesn't seem to be possible, but it's very strange that the default option "web search" has disappeared.

https://support.google.com/chrome/thread/226142313/android-chrome-how-do-i-customise-the-long-tap-context-menu?hl=en

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Is the Google app (not chrome) installed?