Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Sloober posted:

make everything require that weird woodbark from the big trees around your house. the whole two of them. still no idea what uses that! i assume accessories

They're there for when you have 15 stamina left on the way to bed at night. Just some pocket bark to feel like you didn't waste anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Sloober posted:

i like sandrock more, as a whole, than portia, but portia's projects, i dont know, felt bigger somehow? Wouldn't turn down a mode at this point that makes materials a little more harsh. I think part of the problem is how convenient scrap recycling is since it voids, mostly, having to get like iron or copper

:same: I was particularly disappointment with the final story commission, which was framed like it was going to be this huge undertaking that would dwarf all other commissions to date and then it needed barely more materials than rebuilding the goddamn water tower 40 hours prior.

I very much enjoyed Sandrock but I definitely got into a cruising mode way faster than I did with Portia.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
On the other hand, I do not miss the Carbon Steel Bars bottleneck.

But yeah, Sandrock is overall a better game, I feel, but placing any thought into organization or optimization will immediately catapult you beyond what the game requires.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
on the other hand i'm glad there's no analog to the irritation of carbon steel bars in sandrock

Mordiceius posted:

But yeah, Sandrock is overall a better game, I feel, but placing any thought into organization or optimization will immediately catapult you beyond what the game requires.

edit: lol double post carbon steel bar hate. the comprehensive grinders/cutters being necessary just to save yourself annoyance at charcoal making was at least nice for products you could make with the comprehensives

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CoffeeQaddaffi posted:

Just have something that inserts a need for Petrified wood products into loving everything and there goes being able to pre-build/quick build projects. There's like 6 nodes that I can find and Heidi and Owen loving love Petrified Wood, holy gently caress.

I just had this appear for the first time in commissions, but I have no idea where it is.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
its large deadwood trees across the train bridge west of town. as mentioned there's not a lot of them so if you're going to cut one down, cut them all down. you'll need it for the commission regularity the boards and sticks show up in

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Mordiceius posted:

Honestly the biggest bottleneck I hit in Portia wasn't carbon steel; it was titanium because you barely needed it for anything and then suddenly needed hundreds of it for the builder bout, with not enough crystal nodes around the map to reasonably support that so it was either you had been growing crystal trees well in advance by that point or gently caress you, it's gonna take several in-game weeks of node farming and tree growing to get enough. :argh:

Ytlaya posted:

I just had this appear for the first time in commissions, but I have no idea where it is.

You get if from the large deadwood stumps in the desert across the bridge heading west out of town near the Civil Corps building. There's a main quest associated with actually being allowed to cross the bridge so if you can't get there yet don't worry about it, if you're seeing petrified wood pop up in commission requests you can't be far off.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Sloober posted:

make everything require that weird woodbark from the big trees around your house. the whole two of them. still no idea what uses that! i assume accessories
If you’re talking about the item called “bark” there’s another source for it. It’s used in crafting a few totally skippable items.

Kind of related, it’s weird that you don’t use raspberries in food.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 19, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Sydin posted:

You get if from the large deadwood stumps in the desert across the bridge heading west out of town near the Civil Corps building. There's a main quest associated with actually being allowed to cross the bridge so if you can't get there yet don't worry about it, if you're seeing petrified wood pop up in commission requests you can't be far off.

I finished making the bridge (I assume there's only that one bridge to the west - I can access the whole area west of the town now, where I encountered the creepy talking kangaroo guy), so I guess I could make it there?

I'll head out there exploring "tomorrow" (in game), since I need to go out there to do the kangaroo guy follow-up anyways.

Btw, do boss enemies (the only one I've encountered is the big bird thing) respawn? That bird gave me like 10 chromium bars.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Ytlaya posted:

Btw, do boss enemies (the only one I've encountered is the big bird thing) respawn? That bird gave me like 10 chromium bars.

Yeah, they respawn regularly. Great for farming.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

New update just dropped.

Seems to add a new dungeon, a poo poo load of kickstarter items for kickestarters(?), and a bunch of new social things including more marriage content.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Agean90 posted:

The devs did an april fools gag where they announced a new game where youre a low level bureaucrat in the big evil empire to the north and tbh I'd give it shot

I'd genuinely love a future game starting with that and then going into rebuilding after the empire collapses (after a pair of builders in Sandrock and Portia drive Duvos to destroy itself in an arms race)

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Dang that's a hefty update, the devs really knock it out of the park with their post release support

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Youtube showed me someone's extremely purdy Workshop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzqdkJKCW5M

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

quote:

• Fixed an issue where Logan didn't close his eyes during interaction and kissing scenes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
logan never relaxes his guard. it's the bandit way.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

How does multiplayer work in this exactly?
The story isn't available in multiplayer, I've heard. What else?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Jack Trades posted:

How does multiplayer work in this exactly?
The story isn't available in multiplayer, I've heard. What else?
It's a sandbox, even more so than Sandrock already is. 1 to 4 players, all sharing the same workshop and gols. You do stuff (build, fulfill commissions, complete daily tasks, fight, date, play minigames, etc.) to unlock more stuff to do.

They originally planned to have a separate campaign set in the past (and you can still find characters from it on the wiki), but that's been scrapped.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Not sure if it's the latest patch or just a bug, but my spouse is now following me nonstop from the first waking moment till bedtime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Not sure if it's the latest patch or just a bug, but my spouse is now following me nonstop from the first waking moment till bedtime.

Known bug according to reddit.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
So how do I handle museum donations in sandrock? I don’t appear to have enough medium item shelves in the museum to donate all my belongings to. Is there a way to expand the museum or do I have to deposit an item in the museum, get the donation credit, then take it back and put something new, rinse repeat?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

buglord posted:

So how do I handle museum donations in sandrock? I don’t appear to have enough medium item shelves in the museum to donate all my belongings to. Is there a way to expand the museum or do I have to deposit an item in the museum, get the donation credit, then take it back and put something new, rinse repeat?

You can donate as much as you want and the shelves just decide what is displayed.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

buglord posted:

You can continue donating and anything that isn't displayed is put into "storage".

Depending on how far along you are the museum will eventually get an expansion but you still won't have enough space for everything.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I wish the tooltip for an item would tell you if you already donated a copy of that before or not.

Way too often do I get a spare item and then Mi-an all the way to the museum only to find out that I already donated one of those.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there's a mod for that, thankfully. it includes in item descriptions if you have donated a given item. i wouldn't bother with the museum at all without it.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

there's a mod for that, thankfully. it includes in item descriptions if you have donated a given item. i wouldn't bother with the museum at all without it.

Yeah, all of the Your Time At Sandrock mods are worth looking at, a person can tailor which ones they get to the parts of the game they feel like tweaking.

At first I wanted to do a completely vanilla playthrough, but there's enough QoL stuff in YTAS that doesn't feel cheaty that it works for a vanilla+ type experience.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

Do I need to get a factory and greenhouse, or am I fine sticking with the old ways?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
You don’t need them, no. They’re just convenience things.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
They come into play way too late, IMO. By the time I got them I didn't need them.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I'd trade 3 yakmel and a horse for a decent beard option, or at least a stubble texture.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

The factory is great just as-is, because you shovel things in at the control panel and pick them up from the delivery box, so it's convenient when you have a bunch of different kinds of scrap or ore or whatever that you need cooked up, or if you just have an absolutely massive pile of resources to process. This keeps you from having to go fiddling with a dozen machines all the dang time.

The greenhouse is just kind of okay unless you have a helper to take care of harvesting and planting for you, because otherwise it just makes stuff grow faster and/or have better yield (you can determine how much of each there is, it's less energy to keep that slider in the middle) while keeping it watered and fertilized, but as stated: if you can get the greenhouse, you probably already have everything you need from planting. I got on the main plot stuff almost as soon as it came up, and by the time I could get the greenhouse, I still had at least hundreds of everything. I'm currently into the thousands on some of this crap. Once you get the level two planting kit and can do 4x4 plots, that's it, farming is over because of how easy it is. I have a plot of four trees near enough each other that I can just get the area in the middle to harvest, water, and fertilize all four at once (two of each tree is overkill but I didn't know that at the time), and four or five 4x4 plots where I just throw in mostly whatever.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Yeah but I agree with Megazver, by the time you get the buildings you’re mostly at a point where production efficiency or speed doesn’t matter any more. Or at least that’s how it seems so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Factory is worth it, being able to just go "make me these 5 assembly machine things" and come back later to get it all automatically is great. That and queuing hundreds of scrap to continue hoarding materials I no longer need.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Do I need to get a factory and greenhouse, or am I fine sticking with the old ways?

Get the factory. Might as well get the greenhouse as well. There's no reason not to, and the factory is immensely useful for recycling. It's also great for being able to queue up everything from one interface instead of going from machine to machine manually.

The greenhouse is arguably less useful, but still great for growing plants to ensure you have enough of a stock on hand for cooking and requests.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The less time I need to spend on making stuff the more time I have to spent on hand-holding my wife.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I'm reaching the mid-point of the story and already have my machines and such either fully upgraded or nearly fully upgraded and just waiting on a handful of items I can't access yet. I have 10+ of every intermediate resource. Every time a story mission pops up with items to craft, I can turn it in the same day. I spend more time waiting for the next story mission than actually working toward completing story missions. This is on top of doing four commissions daily that I turn in same day.

Sandrock feels like it is paced with the expectation that you are not pre-crafting anything and only making items when you actually need them.

Not necessarily a negative, just an observation.

Also, here's a picture of me with my bestie.

Here's a picture of me with my girlfriend.

And here is a work-in-progress picture of my house.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It took me like...an in-game week to establish my workshop properly and from that point on I practically always had everything ready for any orders that popped up.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Hearing how much stock people keep around really makes me feel like a hoardsr. I always keep at least 200 of each smelted bar and at least 50 of any processed resource. Sometimes more depending on if I use it a bunch.

Its gotten to the point I've stopped most scrap from being delivered to my house unless it's the end game stuff. Even then the deliveries are mainly artifacts and just a few token end game scrapjust in case.

I also went overboard on the rain collectors and regularly have over 1k dew.

I usually spend my days collecting any resources I run low on, mostly petrified wood, granite, or sulfur if I want to make a bunch of rifle ammo.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I don't think there's that much difference between keeping 10, 20, or 50 of any intermediary item in stock. They stack up to 999, I think?

For bars, I tend to have my smelters churning those out on the grounds of "what the gently caress else am I going to do with all this ore." Maybe I should set up more refiners, but there's not a lot of overlap between "the ores I have more of than I can realistically use in any kind of reasonable time frame" and "the ores that refine down into things I actually want or need." (I'm always short on agate.)

I just have two advanced and one normal rain collector, and that's always kept me good, although having the gecko that I sent out to get water all the time certainly helped, and you can buy a wad of cheap water from the water store pretty regularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

limp_cheese posted:

Hearing how much stock people keep around really makes me feel like a hoardsr. I always keep at least 200 of each smelted bar and at least 50 of any processed resource. Sometimes more depending on if I use it a bunch.

Its gotten to the point I've stopped most scrap from being delivered to my house unless it's the end game stuff. Even then the deliveries are mainly artifacts and just a few token end game scrapjust in case.

I also went overboard on the rain collectors and regularly have over 1k dew.

I usually spend my days collecting any resources I run low on, mostly petrified wood, granite, or sulfur if I want to make a bunch of rifle ammo.

I only really kept about 20-30 of the processed resources on hand because I would keep a large stock of bars and other similar resources. Basically my gameplay loop was to get up, check the commission board, grab commissions, queue up replacements for all the things folks wanted from the factory menu, queue up all scrap to be recycled, then go about my day.

I did cover the entirety of my factory and greenhouse in advanced rain collectors, and that was definitely overkill, but also hilarious.