Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: skooma512)

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Willa Rogers posted:

did some scenarios on healthcare.gov & :lol: :lmao:

lowest-cost bronze plan followed by lowest-cost silver plan:

28 yr old making $35k/year:

38 yr old making $30k/year:

48 yr old making $40k/year:

58 yr old making $50k/year:

no filthy tobacco users among the lot.

The Biden plan for both student loans and health insurance is to leave the parasitical industries in place (they're excellent donors!) and just shovel subsidies on behalf of people so that they can "afford" the monthly service costs of poo poo health care / useless degrees

trevorreznik has issued a correction as of 02:00 on Dec 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

UBI but for corporations

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mad Wack posted:

he is whisper silent so you can turn around and be jump scared by this googly eyed motherfucker, stop and shop is ahead of the curve on cyberpunk hellstuff

putting a big emoji sticker on the ed209

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

loquacius posted:

Stop & Shop does this lol

I don't think anybody USES it, but, they have these things where you can scan stuff as you shop, put it right in your bag, and then show the cashier a barcode as you leave, which is pretty close to what you describe, and you can use your phone as a scanner too apparently???

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Scan-It!-Device-at-Stop-%26-Shop

I should probably try actually doing it at some point, I just never have because I never have

I worked at a grocery store in 2005, 18 years ago, that rolled these hand scanners out. They gave up after a few months because people kept stealing the scanners, intentionally or not.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

my bony fealty posted:

I worked at a grocery store in 2005, 18 years ago, that rolled these hand scanners out. They gave up after a few months because people kept stealing the scanners, intentionally or not.

Dude I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve just walked away from a food cart with my food and also the buzzer that tells you your order is ready

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites
Registers work great at grocery stores when they're actually staffed. There's a place I go to a lot that's maybe a bit on the more expensive side (though they still have great weekly sales, so it's still real cheap if you're willing to stick to the whims of the fliers), but it's simply super well staffed and it makes a huge difference. The lines at the registers never really get more than 2 people deep because if there's a crowd forming like 3 people will swoop in out of no where and open up extra registers and blam everyone gets taken care of immediately. They don't even have self checkout as an option but it's always the smoothest/quickest in/out for a grocery store.

I like the idea of self checkout but most places that started using them seemed to close down almost all their registers and then you have people with a full cart in the self checkout area taking 20 minutes to scan their groceries because they didn't want to wait in the one line that was open. Self checkout works great when the only people going through it have like a handbasket of a handful of essentials but unless you time a store at a pretty dead hour that's usually not the case.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I don't think the stop & shop googly eyes robot is actually gangstalking you or intended for security reasons although I will readily agree it is super creepy

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

loquacius posted:

Stop & Shop does this lol

I don't think anybody USES it, but, they have these things where you can scan stuff as you shop, put it right in your bag, and then show the cashier a barcode as you leave, which is pretty close to what you describe, and you can use your phone as a scanner too apparently???

https://www.wikihow.com/Use-the-Scan-It!-Device-at-Stop-%26-Shop

I should probably try actually doing it at some point, I just never have because I never have

I use this at sams club where I go to buy gloves

because it’s easier to scan 10 boxes and walk out than make eye contact with anyone who understands that I’m buying the whole store out of gloves

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

i am harry posted:

because it’s easier to scan 10 boxes and walk out than make eye contact with anyone who understands that I’m buying the whole store out of gloves

are you a tattoo artist?

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

poemdexter posted:

are you a tattoo artist?

iirc they work at a sex dungeon

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
nice

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:

TAX!

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

poemdexter posted:

are you a tattoo artist?

yes, and 2000 gloves for $100 is such a goddamn good deal
at the height of the pandemic a box of 100 was $25

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

i am harry posted:

Same but Dude Wipes

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

SKULL.GIF posted:

I refuse to use self-checkout and I don't care if I can save a few bucks by using it to steal. I'm going to the cashier every single time.

my awesome coworker has a motto. “if it’s a chain it’s fair game”. and she is a straight up gangster about what she can grab at the check out line. (her biggest tip, just get organic veggies but ring in the regular priced ones).

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

slave to my cravings posted:

at Sam’s club you can just scan stuff on your phone and pay for it on your phone the show the QR code to the person at the door

hell no

Gravid Topiary
Feb 16, 2012

loquacius posted:

I don't think the stop & shop googly eyes robot is actually gangstalking you or intended for security reasons although I will readily agree it is super creepy

the wal-mart i go to started using a giant robot floor cleaner to clean the aisles, and one day that thing ran into me hard enough to bruise my leg and i was like "wtf three laws of robotics"

then when i was stalking it around the store plotting my revenge i read the sticker on the side that said it was remotely operated, and i remembered that i'd been loving around jumping around in front of it a few minutes earlier so it had to keep stopping and starting down the aisle, and i realized that some overworked wage slave somewhere had rightfully regained their honour and so i walked away in shame, vanquished

WrasslorMonkey
Mar 5, 2012

Gravid Topiary posted:

the wal-mart i go to started using a giant robot floor cleaner to clean the aisles, and one day that thing ran into me hard enough to bruise my leg and i was like "wtf three laws of robotics"

then when i was stalking it around the store plotting my revenge i read the sticker on the side that said it was remotely operated, and i remembered that i'd been loving around jumping around in front of it a few minutes earlier so it had to keep stopping and starting down the aisle, and i realized that some overworked wage slave somewhere had rightfully regained their honour and so i walked away in shame, vanquished

Imagining the moment of impact

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Gravid Topiary posted:

are you twelve

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

You need to have small joys in your life no matter how old you are. I don’t ever see any robots to gently caress with but I would if I did. Also, no matter how old you get it’s still fun to push your loaded grocery cart through the parking lot and then jump up on the back and coast across the lot and have those near misses with parked cars

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Lookit this loser, probably doesn't even ride the shopping cart across the parking lot anymore

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

HashtagGirlboss posted:

it’s still fun to push your nomad war machine through the parking lot and then jump up on the back and coast across the lot and have those near misses with parked cars

Woke Mind Virus
Aug 22, 2005

You are supposed to stand and salute the robots

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Willa Rogers posted:

I use self-checkout bc I have a panic attack if I'm forced to respond to the cashier when they say hello to me by saying hello back to them.

Even worse yet is when they smile & I'm expected to expend emotional labor by smiling back.

:wink:

willa you gotta realize that the typical retail cashier job is pure hell and that almost no one you run across cares if you smile or say hello back

I don't know anyone who's worked one of those jobs (myself included) who didn't treat it the same as picking orders in a warehouse or working on an assembly line. Goods come in one side and go out the other and the customers are at best surplus to requirements to and at worst a point of stress because one might be slow/confused/angry enough to slow things down and cause a legitimate problem.

Like there's a reason non-Americans find the American shopping experience offputting and creepy, and it's because the default state after working at a register for hours is to just zone out and not to maintain a weird smiley facade. I'm sure working a register at a sleepy little boutique shop can be loads of fun for the right person, but it's not the same thing as processing a hundred customers through a crowded grocery store every day.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Eh, I worked at cash register for a couple years, and I didn't mind talking to people and some of them were cool. You're right about the most important thing being that you just pray the customers don't disrupt the flow, but when I was laughing at something a customer said to me it wasn't fake, I didn't turn into a non-human somehow.

edit: I found working at a factory was far worse than working at a register. Standing still for 10 hours every day listening to tchunk tchunk tchunk as the parts come off the machine, mindlessly boxing them while your hands hurt from repetitive stress. Gloves soaked in corrosive chemicals from the parts, 100 degrees in the summer and 40 in the winter. All you can do is sit there and do the math... You take $1 in metal, form it into a $50 a part, 20 parts per box, 60 boxes an hour, and you get paid $13 in wages. tchunk tchunk tchunk tchunk

Salt Fish has issued a correction as of 17:19 on Dec 23, 2023

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Benagain posted:

Lookit this loser, probably doesn't even ride the shopping cart across the parking lot anymore

i saw a dude get wrecked when it crossed the lot boundary and self engaged the anti theft wheel lock/brakes

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Salt Fish posted:

Eh, I worked at cash register for a couple years, and I didn't mind talking to people and some of them were cool. You're right about the most important thing being that you just pray the customers don't disrupt the flow, but when I was laughing at something a customer said to me it wasn't fake, I didn't turn into a non-human somehow.

Are you sure

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Yeah, I took pride in the fake laugh I practiced everytime someone said "THAT MEANS ITS FREE RIGHT?" Tell a joke I'll show you.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

Real hurthling! posted:

i saw a dude get wrecked when it crossed the lot boundary and self engaged the anti theft wheel lock/brakes

Skill issue

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Paradoxish posted:

willa you gotta realize that the typical retail cashier job is pure hell and that almost no one you run across cares if you smile or say hello back

I don't know anyone who's worked one of those jobs (myself included) who didn't treat it the same as picking orders in a warehouse or working on an assembly line. Goods come in one side and go out the other and the customers are at best surplus to requirements to and at worst a point of stress because one might be slow/confused/angry enough to slow things down and cause a legitimate problem.

Like there's a reason non-Americans find the American shopping experience offputting and creepy, and it's because the default state after working at a register for hours is to just zone out and not to maintain a weird smiley facade.

maybe my sarcasm parser is out of tune, but it reads to me more that willa was taking the piss?

Apr 7, 2003

When the economy is very normal

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

silentsnack posted:

maybe my sarcasm parser is out of tune, but it reads to me more that willa was taking the piss?

she was, I just think it's silly when people act like not wanting to run through a staffed cashier line is some weird anti-social behavior

like just go through whichever line is shortest or wherever you can steal the easiest or whatever, it doesn't matter and nobody cares

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The best lovely job I had was line cook. It's a obscenely stressful, but you can steal so much food. Plus its a legit craft and it feels great when you can cook 100 meals in an hour and make it look easy. You get cut and burnt a lot and that kinda sucks, but overall its not bad. I fondly remember one month when I was super poor 100% of my calories were stolen from the restaurant. $0 food bill but I had to work 7 days a week. Idk, it was okay.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

mine was garbage man at the county picnic park but not cause i was eating the garbage dont get any ideas

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

webcams for christ posted:

I use self-checkout because it lets me play pannier/backpack tetris with my groceries at a leisurely pace. I don't like the pressure of holding up the line.

:same:

Apr 7, 2003

Real hurthling! posted:

mine was garbage man at the county picnic park but not cause i was eating the garbage dont get any ideas

Why not

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I have found myself working at an airport bookstore and they are hell bent on installing self checkouts because they absolutely hate us (the employees, but it's largely mutual) to the point where they want to put one in our bookstore that doesn't really warrant one at all and it would look gross. Also all the employees are finding customers are stealing like crazy with the self checkouts in the market stores. (Airport pricing makes this the ethical thing to do, of course) I personally have optimized the checkout experience to the best of my ability and no longer lob hard ball questions to the public such as "do you need a bag?" or "do you need a receipt?" and just default give you them and wait for the 10% to proudly proclaim "I DO NOT NEED A BAG, SIR" which is still faster than waiting for most to struggle through those questions. The real slow down is that the average person still approaches using a card payment as something they are doing the very first time instead of multiple times a day every day for over a decade. All of this is assuming they aren't just hovering in front of the cash register before wandering off again.
But some of my co workers like talking to people. I just listen to my music and boot up if someone needs help locating a book. Or just straight read if the bosses are gone, it only offends a few customers and they tend to just be passive aggressive about it.

Twigand Berries has issued a correction as of 17:53 on Dec 23, 2023

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone looked into Nancy Pelosi's stock activity on September 10

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Paradoxish posted:

Like there's a reason non-Americans find the American shopping experience offputting and creepy, and it's because the default state after working at a register for hours is to just zone out and not to maintain a weird smiley facade. I'm sure working a register at a sleepy little boutique shop can be loads of fun for the right person, but it's not the same thing as processing a hundred customers through a crowded grocery store every day.

I wasn't talking about holding a symposium, but rather being polite & greeting them/thanking them without being a surly rear end in a top hat.

I've lived long enough to see how most people treat service workers & I never want to become one of them. I worked retail when I started supporting myself at age 18 & made a vow back then to never become one of the GIMME ONE OF THOSE crowd.

Saying "hello" and "thank you" is not emotional labor; it's bare minimum civility. I'm not commanding service workers to smile back or say "you're welcome" and as I mentioned I find the TJ nattering to get on my nerves but I know they're required to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

park closed at 10pm and everything was left were it was, no cleanup. we didnt start cleanup until morning and it was a dash to get everything decent before opening after every animal in the forest had been through everything