Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Rescue Toaster posted:

It says the patients were from the 'designated hospital for treating COVID-19' but it's not clear if these were cases that were hospitalized or not. Non-pax having 30% with post COVID-19 conditions in the age range 22-36 is pretty loving awful if they weren't even severe cases.

They were "hospitalized", but with the following inclusion criteria:

quote:

(..)
The inclusion criteria were: age between 18 and 50 years old; positive nucleic acid result; no previous systemic treatment; mild or moderate COVID-19 within 5 days of onset according to the “Diagnosis and Treatment Guide for COVID-19 (Version 9)”; and voluntary participation and signed written informed consent.
(..)
It is a bit opaque what constitutes admission criteria at the time in China (November 2022), but it certainly doesn't translate to ~hospitalization~ in the West, which by definition excludes mild or moderate cases.

Study in full can be found here: https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/fulltext/2023/12220/impact_of_paxlovid_on_in_hospital_outcomes_and.56.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Buddy. You don't need to do anything, never did.

Don't read the comments!

These people could not have won more thoroughly and the concept of collective responsibility for our health is dead forever. Hope whatever he’s getting out of it was worth it.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Pingui posted:

They were "hospitalized", but with the following inclusion criteria:

It is a bit opaque what constitutes admission criteria at the time in China (November 2022), but it certainly doesn't translate to ~hospitalization~ in the West, which by definition excludes mild or moderate cases.

Study in full can be found here: https://journals.lww.com/md-journal/fulltext/2023/12220/impact_of_paxlovid_on_in_hospital_outcomes_and.56.aspx

Interesting, good info. Thanks Pingui

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Steve Yun posted:

edit: update

don’t trust anyone

aren't parents supposed to want their children to survive and prosper

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
How long until exposure does one expect to pop positive? My youngest tested positive Wednesday evening and even though I feel slightly off (could be my imagination), I’m testing negative. Guessing maybe in a few days?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Louisgod posted:

How long until exposure does one expect to pop positive? My youngest tested positive Wednesday evening and even though I feel slightly off (could be my imagination), I’m testing negative. Guessing maybe in a few days?

yep, couple days

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

when you say that you're testing negative, are those real tests like PCR

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Potato Salad posted:

when you say that you're testing negative, are those real tests like PCR

no they’re the tests Biden gave for free as a consolation prize for not dying up to now

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Potato Salad posted:

aren't parents supposed to want their children to survive and prosper

What's the point if it ruins christmas?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Louisgod posted:

no they’re the tests Biden gave for free as a consolation prize for not dying up to now

I don't even consider those to be tests, they are less than 50% effective on these variants. you would almost be better served by flipping a coin thqh, or not for the less-then-likely chance that you can get a true positive test

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Rescue Toaster posted:

What's the point if it ruins christmas?

the radical left / :yooge: China strikes once again at the heart of Christmas

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

jetz0r posted:

Everyone got distracted by the drama thread star pulling a spr. Which is also the same thing that happened the previous time.

100% of drama thread superstars who lead a push to close this thread buy themselves transphobic avatars and get permabanned.

It's because they're in an echo chamber.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Potato Salad posted:

I don't even consider those to be tests, they are less than 50% effective on these variants. you would almost be better served by flipping a coin thqh, or not for the less-then-likely chance that you can get a true positive test

Yeah I know they’re poo poo but tbf they did immediately show two deep maroon lines when I tested my daughter so at the least I know they work assuming you bombard them with viruses

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Yeah mine went hot after a few minutes. No false negatives in my stash

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Pingui posted:

Thank you for the kind words (to you and everyone else), but I've been burned out since summer. Just sticking through until Paxlovid is no longer accessible, with a bit of leeway for figuring out the new venues of access.

I don't think the thread will survive next summer's inevitable push for closure; we barely eked out an extended stay of execution last summer, which I am fairly certain came entirely down to the admin team being notified that the day most of the bullshit was going on, 3 people that don't post in the thread asked for and received help on getting Paxlovid.

Take the time off whenever you need it - I can certainly understand being burnt to the wick after four years of this. I hope to still be here in this thread whenever you have the energy to return.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Potato Salad posted:

this is not a good enough reason to not use them, just not to bank on negative results

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Pingui posted:

Thank you for the kind words (to you and everyone else), but I've been burned out since summer. Just sticking through until Paxlovid is no longer accessible, with a bit of leeway for figuring out the new venues of access.

I don't think the thread will survive next summer's inevitable push for closure; we barely eked out an extended stay of execution last summer, which I am fairly certain came entirely down to the admin team being notified that the day most of the bullshit was going on, 3 people that don't post in the thread asked for and received help on getting Paxlovid.

Those people are currently trying to get the Trump thread shut down. It’s just the same group of people who move from thread to thread stirring poo poo, that’s all. The actual content of the thread is irrelevant.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Louisgod posted:

from what I’ve been gathering from several anecdotes people lately are getting symptoms about 2 days after exposure and then popping positive on rapid tests 5 days after symptom onset, so a week after exposure

SixteenShells
Sep 30, 2021
The longest my timeline could have been was exposure on Saturday, one or two coughs on Tuesday, coughing all day on Wednesday with radioactive RATs.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Gunshow Poophole posted:

this is not a good enough reason to not use them, just not to bank on negative results

this is what I was trying to say yes

Skinnymansbeerbelly
Apr 1, 2010
We got a Christmas miracle here: a huge erupting boil right underneath the vflex seal area :coronatoot:

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

covid continues to ruin the holidays

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

Not COVID, but pretty cool development on the pestilence front:
"Discovery of a structural class of antibiotics with explainable deep learning"

oh that sounds cool as hell. shame that everything's behind a paywall, but it's not like I probably would've been able to comprehend the fine details anyway.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Annoying / Scary personal anecdote

During COVID, our kids eyes got really gummy. They have had conjectivitus before but this seemed especially bad, and I ended up with it, as well (I was in close contact with them). No idea if just a COVID symptom, or a secondary infection, but I had a couple days where I woke up with my right eye basically sealed shut, had to wipe it and had blurry vision for a couple minutes; I saw a dr and used an antibiotic gel as a just in case. Hadn't thought about it since.

Last night I pulled a Ray Gun compendium book out. If anyone remembers the magazine, it had a Very 90s Hipster aesthetic and lots of 8-10 point font poo poo.

Anyway as I was reading, I realized that my vision in my right eye is significantly impaired; weird that it took me this long to notice since I'm right eye dominant, but the upshot is that if I am reading something like a magazine or a book with small print, my left eye can find focus and read it starting at about 8" out from my eye, and hold focus almost to the full extent of my extended arm.

At 8" where stuff looks as good as it ever has (this decade) in my left eye, it's a blurry loving shitshow on the right. If I go out another 2-3" I can find focus well enough to read it, but, barely. It's a night and day difference, I would struggle tremendously to read with that eye, and the other eye is no problem.

I am fairly certain this is directly related to that infection because I had a vision test about six months ago and got glasses, and at that time the determination was that I needed mild/moderate distance lenses but had no issues up close in either eye, and both eyes were the same.

Because I've got those results it will be pretty easy to go back and see if there's a change (there is) and figure out if it's something that can be addressed with glasses, but I'm pretty loving bummed; I feel like w/e we've been through here (COVID plus six other viruses, Sept - Present) has done demonstrable damage to my loving eyes, and, like, I need those to loving see?

good lord, I hope that's just temporary and things improve for you :whitewater:

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Pingui posted:

I understand why people have to take a sabbatical or drop out of the thread entirely, but I'm still sad every time it happens. I've had to take breaks from this thread here and there, sometimes for months at a time. I think most of us have. This summer was pretty ugly and I still have sour feelings over all of it. I hope your absence helps recharge your batteries, and if you're ever feeling up for the covid thread again, just know that we'll be happy to have you back.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
lol this tweet is all of my things at once

https://twitter.com/EdwardTufte/status/1737137006277222721?t=Xri9AUTTGExXUoLRGdk4lQ&s=19

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Louisgod posted:

If nobody has mentioned it yet, go ham swabbing your throat like a strep test (and then do your nose like usual). https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamanetworkopen/fullarticle/2812586

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Pingui posted:

Dunno, I sort of feel like the I/P "no genocide you're the genocide" score settling is going to dominate the attention of the poo poo-stirrers. COVID, after all, is over.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Hello thread, must declare severe bankruptcy. Have I missed anything lately besides JN.1 becoming dominant?

And of course covid being over, despite multiple work colleagues popping (one for the first time) recently. One of our execs got back from a trip and was immediately positive. He joked on a work call shortly thereafter that "travel is pretty much synonymous with getting covid these days," and a bunch of people said "yeah I know haha." We are also moving to a new building soon where I'll be in an open office cubicle rather than my Levoit-protected solo office, which I'm less than thrilled about. (even before covid, open offices sucked)

In personal news, Wifezwang and I are having our second kid in Feb. Masks are required in patient rooms but nowhere else in the maternity/delivery ward, or hospital. Whatcha gonna do :shrug:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Zugzwang posted:

Hello thread, must declare severe bankruptcy. Have I missed anything lately besides JN.1 becoming dominant?

Just more evidence on the pile that the harm from multiple infections is cumulative (at least, for enough people to show statistically significant increases in long covid over subsequent infections), some evidence that oral probiotic lozenges with strep k12 might provide some protection from severe disease, and pax gonna be a jillion dollars next year.

Milosh
Oct 14, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gravid Topiary posted:

keep watch to see if it's anything like a retinal detachment because time is of the essence with those

I got pink eye in the spring and my eye sight has gotten worse. I’m pretty sure I got covid back then but never tested positive.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cabbages and Kings posted:

Because I've got those results it will be pretty easy to go back and see if there's a change (there is) and figure out if it's something that can be addressed with glasses, but I'm pretty loving bummed; I feel like w/e we've been through here (COVID plus six other viruses, Sept - Present) has done demonstrable damage to my loving eyes, and, like, I need those to loving see?

If something serious is off with your eyes go see an eye doctor. It's like when something's up with your teeth and seeing a dentist - if nothing else those things have very direct access to your brain and if something's wrong you need to be moving on it posthaste.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Complications posted:

If something serious is off with your eyes go see an eye doctor. It's like when something's up with your teeth and seeing a dentist - if nothing else those things have very direct access to your brain and if something's wrong you need to be moving on it posthaste.

Bleh, don't remind me. I know once cases die down a bit this spring (ha) I finally need to have a crown done. If only there was a single dentist within 200 miles of me that had even heard of 'HEPA' ever.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008

Gravid Topiary posted:

so apparently those green Rapid Response test kits they gave away up here in Canada suck poo poo even as far as RATs go?
COVID test supplier received billions in pandemic contracts after submitting edited results

This is so hosed!

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gravid Topiary posted:

so apparently those green Rapid Response test kits they gave away up here in Canada suck poo poo even as far as RATs go?
COVID test supplier received billions in pandemic contracts after submitting edited results

Oh, good thing my parents got many boxes of these and have been relying on them for years.

I'm confused about that footnote about the swab, though. Does it mean they changed the design of the swab so it's not as effective, or that self-testers don't swab as well as typical nurses do, or both?

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
real “haha I’m in danger” vibes for the holidays huh

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

my wife and my mom are still positive. I'm bewildered, we got hit on Dec 4th, and this is going to take us through Christmas. My wife is freaked out that she got Covid twice in less than three months. She's already got PASC symptoms from her prior infection, and she's consumed with worry over what might happen to her next. My Mom is obsessed with Christmas in a way I will never understand. And so she's very broken up over getting sick and losing all of that time she normally spends soaking up Christmas vibes

in summary lol joke's on all of us, despite our best efforts this year Covid showed up to completely obliterate everyone's plans :thumbsup:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Got my iota-carrageenan spray. Gonna rely on that and a fresh Corsi-Rosenthal cube to get us through Christmas.

The cube has already proven itself multiple times with exposure scares, it's quite impressive. I almost think that if we had one running in every room in America we might be okay (or at least considerably better off).

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Petey posted:

real “haha I’m in danger” vibes for the holidays huh

Over 40 post on the forums within the last 24 hours containing the word "covid" outside of C-SPAM, a lot of them also contain "caught" and "finally".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Griz
May 21, 2001

Complications posted:

also get diabetes screening, my dad didn't know he had adult-onset type 1 until his vision started going