Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You're not you when you're sleepy

E and you can't rest here. Enemies are nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Eric the Mauve posted:

Friends, I have never touched Morrowind before and am about to. I grabbed it from GOG and will be going MGSE rather than OpenMW.

My plan is to throw... let's see... MGE, the code patch, I guess the Enhanced Textures, into MO2 and fire it up. After I play a while I'm sure I'll spiral into the modding hole, never to see the light of day again. But for now, I just want to Play Morrowind and go from there. Is there anything I really need to know or any land mines I'm about to step on?

I actually know next to nothing about the game, the story, the lore. I'm sure I'll be back with a Brand New Player trip report for all of you to laugh at and get all wistful about.

1: You really shouldn’t use any graphics mods except to increase draw distance/lower the N64 fog, especially PC/NPC appearance stuff. They are all hideous and immersion breaking. Don’t.
2: Fatigue actually matters, all your accuracy checks etc will be massively penalized if you used all your stamina. For some reason just walking depletes stamina and I’d recommend a mod that makes it not do that.
3: DO NOT use a 100% accuracy mod. It’s part of the design for a reason and it’s only “stupid” if you don’t use your own major weapon skill.
4: Argonians and Khajit get massive armor penalties they can’t compensate for. Most of the helmets are forbidden because of your big snout, and you are literally not allowed to use leg armor.
5: Don’t listen to the tryhards that tell you to take the Atronarch Birthsign. A smidgin of extra MP is not worth the massive pain in the rear end not regenerating magic is. If you’re playing a mage just take the Apprentice (or do your own thing and pick the Serpent I’m not your boss)
6: Have fast travel options. There’s no “select map icon” travel so you need to know where the bus routes are, and carry around an amulet or spell for both interventions and mark/recall.
7: Get a mod that keeps the tribunal expansion from triggering before you want it too.
8: Use Spears. It’s your only chance and you can do fun things with their extra range
9: The game doesn’t level like Skyrim and Oblivion, everything is hand placed. some areas and quests are high level and you should come back later.
10: In general don’t use a lot of mods because you’ll miss out on the magical true Morrowind experience.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

There’s a small magic regen mod I use sometimes tho it’s not necessary with alchemy really, otherwise unless you get really annoyed at something, intelligent or enhanced textures, the code patch, and patch for purists plus MGE are all you really need. Maybe throw something on like mort’s pickpocket fix and stealth mod if you’re playing stealthy.

giZm
Jul 7, 2003

Only the insane equates pain with success

Make sure to install a fast travel mod to annoy the purists.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/41542

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The expansions do level scaling I thought?

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
There absolutely is level scaling, but it's more limited then in later games. If you're really high level then you'll find golden saints when wandering around those hills with daedra random encounters, and find grand soul gems as loot in smuggler barrels. But a lot of stuff is also hand-placed and will be unchanged no matter your level.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

i cant give a better explanation than mort

quote:

Tribunal and Bloodmoon were released as expansions to the base game, and were intended for players who had already fully cleared previous quests. All of the enemies and non-hostile NPCs are much higher level because of that. While a powerful vanilla NPC might be level 30, a powerful Bloodmoon NPC could be level 70. Ash Vampires and 'legendarily powerful' creatures/NPCs in the base game are somehow weaker than most expansion NPCs.

e: that's from the intro to his mods that fix that problem, check them out today :)

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 23, 2023

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah without rebalance mods the expansions are hilariously overtuned. Rando NPC's at Fort Frostmoth have more base HP than Dagoth Ur.

OTOH though by the time you hit Bloodmoon if you're saving it for last the player can absolutely be beyond overpowered to the point that it's barely going to be noticeable. The only annoying thing I notice in the expansions, particularly Tribunal, is that everybody has ridiculous innate reflect baked into them so if you're playing a mage or using a cast on strike weapon, then gently caress you.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Thanks for the pointers, all. Is there anything modding related I should be careful not to trip over? Will MO2+MWSE+the handful of core mods work and continue to work as I inevitably add more mods later?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

Thanks for the pointers, all. Is there anything modding related I should be careful not to trip over? Will MO2+MWSE+the handful of core mods work and continue to work as I inevitably add more mods later?

I’m not in a place I can really get the link but try and find the GitHub for the still updated version of MLOX, it will help sort mods. Shouldn’t be an issue with a small mod list for load order really and it’s not a perfect sorter but it’s a good start.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mr E posted:

I’m not in a place I can really get the link but try and find the GitHub for the still updated version of MLOX, it will help sort mods. Shouldn’t be an issue with a small mod list for load order really and it’s not a perfect sorter but it’s a good start.

MO2 is very robust for modding and will save you hours of the traditional Morrowind modding experience: gripping heartache as you accidentally overwrite hundreds of files in the wrong order with no easy way to tell what you just broke.

I agree with using mlox (run it through MO2 to correctly sort your mods) and make sure you adjust your MO2 mod folders' order to match the .esp order in general. Also make sure you've registered your BSAs.

Morrowind is generally fairly forgiving about adding mods although if a mod changes a cell you've already visited, you can sometimes get weird duplications, like 2 of the same NPC or 2 copies of a door and you have to open both. See https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind_Mod:Doubling

Doubling can usually be avoided by avoiding changes to load order during a game. Adding files on the end is usually better tolerated than adding files in the middle of the order. Wrye Mash can be used to repair save games with doubling although I don't claim a lot of experience with this.

So my advice would be to pick a set of mods that you want to play with, do a test run for feel, and if you do need to make changes consider a restart or at least be on the lookout for any weirdness in your save after.

edit: If you're unsure how compatible two different mods will be with each other, you can also try checking in TESTool and generating a list of conflicting records.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 23, 2023

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
I’d like to say avoid any housing mods for your first play through (or five). Finding a cool place to decorate with your stuff that’s in a cool or convenient location that you get attached to is part of the fun. It’s something you can’t do in Skyrim or Oblivion because everything in the world regularly gets erased and reset, whereas in Morrowind every building or apartment can be emptied and used as your permanent residence. It also makes the strongholds that much more meaningful.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Eh, at least housing mods are usually pretty low impact, and if you get the urge you can always go shopping for a house on Nexus later. My “housing mod” is always just my stronghold in Uvirith’s Legacy anyway, although one play through probably over a decade ago I had a really good time with Private Mobile Base.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

galagazombie posted:

2: Fatigue actually matters, all your accuracy checks etc will be massively penalized if you used all your stamina. For some reason just walking depletes stamina and I’d recommend a mod that makes it not do that.

4: Argonians and Khajit get massive armor penalties they can’t compensate for. Most of the helmets are forbidden because of your big snout, and you are literally not allowed to use leg armor.

Great advice, buuut:

I'm pretty sure you don't lose fatigue while walking, only running. Though some people find walking to be excruciatingly slow.
Beast races can't use closed helmets, nor boots. But Argonians are very resistant to poison and diseases, which is quite handy.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Great advice, buuut:

I'm pretty sure you don't lose fatigue while walking, only running. Though some people find walking to be excruciatingly slow.
Beast races can't use closed helmets, nor boots. But Argonians are very resistant to poison and diseases, which is quite handy.

You can give yourself poison and disease resistance/cures though, there isn’t a spell, enchantment, or potion that can give you normal feet.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Argonians (and to a lesser extent Khajiit) are the loving coolest though. That's a big plus.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
The coolest at being my slaves, you mean.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the earliest Morrowind mods I remember was auto-converting boots to leg rings for Khajiit and Argonians. I'm sure there have only been more sophisticated versions since.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cantorsdust posted:

Eh, at least housing mods are usually pretty low impact, and if you get the urge you can always go shopping for a house on Nexus later. My “housing mod” is always just my stronghold in Uvirith’s Legacy anyway, although one play through probably over a decade ago I had a really good time with Private Mobile Base.

I find the most important part of housing mods is storage since containers have limits and housing mods can greatly increase those if you don't want to operate out of some place with a permanent corpse you have hold all your stuff or something. Last time I played the modpack I was using had a little bolthole in the Balmora temple where it had a bunch of 999999 capacity containers in easy reach of each other so0 I could just set a mark (multimark mod, of course) and recall to unload if I had too much Stuff.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
What all are you storing that you need so much space. I obsessively save, and decorate with, every “unique” item the game and have never run into storage issues or needed to use a perma-corpse.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I think if you have Tamriel rebuilt and whatever the newer versions of the mods that let you select any of the added races at creation there might be a khajiit that has post oblivion games feet so you can wear boots at least. Might be the diversified khajiit mod that has those tho.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

galagazombie posted:

What all are you storing that you need so much space. I obsessively save, and decorate with, every “unique” item the game and have never run into storage issues or needed to use a perma-corpse.

Many of us are terrible hoarders (I never have enough room for all my alchemy ingredients lol)

That’s one of the many reasons I made this simple mod https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46833

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Zereth posted:

I find the most important part of housing mods is storage since containers have limits and housing mods can greatly increase those if you don't want to operate out of some place with a permanent corpse you have hold all your stuff or something. Last time I played the modpack I was using had a little bolthole in the Balmora temple where it had a bunch of 999999 capacity containers in easy reach of each other so0 I could just set a mark (multimark mod, of course) and recall to unload if I had too much Stuff.

If you need just well-organized storage and not a house per se, I recommend mwse Containers which has categorized containers that allow for auto-sort like functionality. Only drawback is the first time on every load you have to drop them from your inventory and manually activate them to set the scripts correctly. After first activation you can just use them in the inventory to use auto-sort.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

It's kinda hilarious that Khajit and Argonians are enslaved untermenschen by virtue of... not wearing shoes. Like that's the class divide

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
I love house mods and the only time I ever messed with modding was to create a simple house mod for myself. I made it on a hillside just outside Balmora next to the silt strider and was pretty much just a bunch of rooms with tables and shelves. I lost that mod though and I'm pretty sure I never uploaded it anywhere. :(

There's another Balmora house mod I used for my last big playthrough that has some automation features that were nice. There's also a house mod that was in a valley in southern Vvardenfell that was just a straightforward house in a valley near a waterfall.

As I recall there's a Skyrim house mod that basically puts a mansion/museum in Solitude and you can use it to track your progression in getting unique items and stuff, sort of like an ingame achievements display. I don't know if there's anything like that for Morrowind but that'd be rad.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Asterite34 posted:

It's kinda hilarious that Khajit and Argonians are enslaved untermenschen by virtue of... not wearing shoes. Like that's the class divide

They have reverse jointed legs and look like cats/lizards

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

galagazombie posted:

Everything.

hannibal posted:

As I recall there's a Skyrim house mod that basically puts a mansion/museum in Solitude and you can use it to track your progression in getting unique items and stuff, sort of like an ingame achievements display. I don't know if there's anything like that for Morrowind but that'd be rad.
Legacy of he Dragonborn, and it's great. It magically transmutes lovely unique items that you wouldn't ever use even if you were using that weapon type into museum exhibits!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Another point in Morrowind’s favor: When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house it stays that way. When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house in Oblivion and Skyrim they explode and fly across the room at lethal speeds every time I load the cell. Physics was a mistake.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

atronach is a great pick, especially for a melee focussed character

50% chance to negate any magic cast on you from the get-go is so good

mana potions are plentiful too so it's not like it's diffi cult to stay topped off I pick it for just about every character I make

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's good, but I'm swayed by the argument that it's very far from the typical experience; I'd say t's more of an interesting alternative for subsequent characters.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

galagazombie posted:

Another point in Morrowind’s favor: When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house it stays that way. When I meticulously place all my cool weapons and artifacts around the house in Oblivion and Skyrim they explode and fly across the room at lethal speeds every time I load the cell. Physics was a mistake.

While I'm on the mod recommending subject, I also recommend Perfect Placement for very precise placement options.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, atronach seems like it was designed more for a sword mage character than a pure mage. You have poo poo spell points without it, but now you can easily cast heal after a fight when you wouldn't be able to otherwise.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Nah, it's actually the best for a pure mage character too. There are so many ways to get magicka back it's not burdensome at all.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

It's annoying early game which is the only difficult part. It's actually the best for non magic characters at all

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Magicka is only used for casting 25pt jump for 1 second(s) over and over while you travel

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

ikanreed posted:

Magicka is only used for casting 25pt jump for 1 second(s) over and over while you travel

:hai: this is the pro-tier fast travel

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Best travel tip is 0 points Slowfall. Makes you immune to fall damage without actually slowing you down. And costs so little it can just be put on top of whatever your actual constant effect enchantment is.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

galagazombie posted:

Best travel tip is 0 points Slowfall. Makes you immune to fall damage without actually slowing you down. And costs so little it can just be put on top of whatever your actual constant effect enchantment is.

No that's dumb you need to carefully gauge your fall distances

secondhand dog
Sep 10, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Yeah, but do I still get the Acrobatics xp for hurting myself a bit after misgauging the fall? Or the Restoration xp for fixing myself after??

(But seriously, I can’t believe I hadn’t heard about that)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

No that's dumb you need to carefully gauge your fall distances

Maybe you do :smuggo: