Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Roth)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Sorry, posted in the Zack Snyder thread before I saw this was here. Is this good enough that I should wait for a 4k release? I wanna watch it but I can only find it in 1080p, and it's getting such mixed reviews (tending toward bad) that I have to imagine I'm just gonna be disappointed if I wait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phenotype posted:

Sorry, posted in the Zack Snyder thread before I saw this was here. Is this good enough that I should wait for a 4k release? I wanna watch it but I can only find it in 1080p, and it's getting such mixed reviews (tending toward bad) that I have to imagine I'm just gonna be disappointed if I wait.

How do you feel about Snyder movies on general and BvS theatrical cut in particular

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

McCloud posted:

How do you feel about Snyder movies on general and BvS theatrical cut in particular

I liked the Snyder Cut Justice League (although he really needed if not an editor, just a good friend to put his hand on his shoulder once in a while and say like "hey buddy, don't you think this bit might be a little too indulgent here?") and I thought BvS was just kinda trash overall, I dunno what version I ended up seeing.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

anatomi posted:

I liked the evil middle management guy. Seemed like the only actor who had fun being in this thing.

He's the best part of the movie. Really threads the needle between pathetic and menacing, something I think nu-Star Wars has struggled with ever since Lucas left. I especially liked him basically getting off on the thought of his imminent death -- for a jock, somebody's read his Umberto Eco. :v:

Overall I think the movie was fine. It didn't blow me away like Army of Thieves or Sucker Punch did but it's better than most of his superhero stuff. I mostly agree with the complaints that it could have used a little more time to let us get to know the supporting cast, with the proviso that at the same time it could have used less exposition and characters directly narrating their own past.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 23, 2023

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Phenotype posted:

It's the worst movie I've ever seen

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Phenotype posted:

I liked the Snyder Cut Justice League (although he really needed if not an editor, just a good friend to put his hand on his shoulder once in a while and say like "hey buddy, don't you think this bit might be a little too indulgent here?") and I thought BvS was just kinda trash overall, I dunno what version I ended up seeing.

I’d wait then.

Majkol
Oct 17, 2016

Papercut posted:

I've seen someone on twitter say that it's literally unwatchable and all I can say is: jeez you people must not see a lot of movies, huh?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Majkol posted:

I've seen someone on twitter say that it's literally unwatchable and all I can say is: jeez you people must not see a lot of movies, huh?

It literally feels like being trolled by a studio, right down to the cliffhanger ending. It's like if you asked an AI to make a movie just based on cinema sins.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

YggdrasilTM posted:

Sure. That's why I said that it's not a big deal. But again, let's not pretend that it makes sense.

You're trying to think about it as if it was real, but this approach would make any movie nonsense. The one in a million odds makes perfect narrative sense, because it's a story about (amongst other things no doubt) how exploiters reap what they sow. There is no farm where this empire wouldn't turn up a Kora!

Stegosnaurlax posted:

Charlie Hunnam should be court ordered to stop doing accents.

This seems like an exceptionally cruel punishment for a Geordie. He already had to grow up in Newcastle, hasn't he suffered enough

Blood Boils fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 23, 2023

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
It's like the one movie where Charlie Hunnam is being asked to NOT do an accent!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My issue with the slow mo is it doesn't feel like it's showing me anything cool. It's just showing someone leap once, or slam into a wall. Or shoot a gun.

Slow mo works when the focal character does something really cool and we can take that in. An example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VeK-d553Mjk&t=227s
Whenever he strikes, it lets you soak it in.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Papercut posted:

Please watch more movies before posting in this forum

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

CelticPredator posted:

My issue with the slow mo is it doesn't feel like it's showing me anything cool. It's just showing someone leap once, or slam into a wall. Or shoot a gun.

Slow mo works when the focal character does something really cool and we can take that in. An example

This is a fair complaint and not just there’s too much slow mo like some others. It’s a matter of taste, but I think the slow mo he does in village fight and final fist fight work well for coolness at least. Though yeah 300 speed ramping is still so good.

He’s also using slow mo to highlight emotions in the film. Like Kora at peace with the soil early on or Kora raging as a soldier in the past.

DuhSal
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Pillbug
I think it being a clearly cut up version of the story and a lot of the not great acting brings this down but otherwise I enjoyed it well enough.

I don’t even mind some poor acting or hammy dialogue in my sci fi genre because that’s not what I’m watching for or what carries or appeals about these movies to me but other than the lead and the main antagonist, certainly some very questionable line reads.

Still, I dug the world and the action and the themes, just I’d rather have watched the actual director’s version rather than this clearly cut to pieces one.

Like the other rebel characters are barely anything at all. It’s like a music video more than a movie (in the second half) because of it. Dumb decision by Netflix to not just release the Snyder cut to begin with.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Roth posted:

Now now, it's a lotta fun when peeps make insane posts, I don't want that to stop. Plus, effective communication is a learning process - the "why is the empire bad? How do the spaceships work? Why do they eat bread instead of rice? Why is dirt brown?" guy clearly needs someone to get him to hold up and reflect on why these bizarre questions are even occurring to him, and we're just the goons for the job!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Roth posted:

I also watched the creator last night and it was bad but not even on the same level as RM

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

CelticPredator posted:

I thought the sowing seeds in slow motion was awesome.

Papercut posted:

I also watched the creator last night and it was bad but not even on the same level as RM

They're booth good, OP. I prefer Rebel Moon tho.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

teagone posted:

They're booth good, OP. I prefer Rebel Moon tho.

You should watch Pluto if you found The Creator interesting at all

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

I have seen it and enjoyed it. I tend to enjoy things and try not to tear down art.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

drat I love recommendations for mainstream media that came out this year we got a conniseur on our hands here

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Roth posted:

drat I love recommendations for mainstream media that came out this year we got a conniseur on our hands here

You seem to be taking this personally lol

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Papercut posted:

You should watch Pluto if you found The Creator interesting at all

Pluto and The Creator are both loving solid, but of the two of them The Creator is the one that sticks the ending.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

teagone posted:

There were more than one kind of seed she was sowing too.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Papercut posted:

You seem to be taking this personally lol

No I just like ribbing

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Blood Boils posted:

Now now, it's a lotta fun when peeps make insane posts, I don't want that to stop. Plus, effective communication is a learning process - the "why is the empire bad? How do the spaceships work? Why do they eat bread instead of rice? Why is dirt brown?" guy clearly needs someone to get him to hold up and reflect on why these bizarre questions are even occurring to him, and we're just the goons for the job!

I'm employing tactical realism but for posting

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

There were more than one kind of seed she was sowing too.

Veldt is the horny planet.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

And the seeds of rebellion.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Papercut posted:

What’s the second worst.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What’s the second worst.

That's a good question, there are a lot of d-level horror movies my partner watches but I don't even remember the names usually

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Jimbot posted:

And the seeds of rebellion.

My mind's always in the gutter, you see. Snyder already had me with the yonic space portal like ~5 minutes in.

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Roth posted:

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

That's a good question, there are a lot of d-level horror movies my partner watches but I don't even remember the names usually

"this was the worst movie I've ever seen, narrowly edging out several movies so forgettable I can't remember their names"

(for the record I don't care if you don't like the movie, but I do think the whole "worst X ever" thing has been so played out online as to be effectively meaningless, something like "worst movie I saw this year" at least adds a reasonable qualifier)

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Guy A. Person posted:

"this was the worst movie I've ever seen, narrowly edging out several movies so forgettable I can't remember their names"

(for the record I don't care if you don't like the movie, but I do think the whole "worst X ever" thing has been so played out online as to be effectively meaningless, something like "worst movie I saw this year" at least adds a reasonable qualifier)

Yeah I can never hear someone unironically say "Worst X Ever!!!!" without imagining them as Comic Book Guy from the Simpsons lmao

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Guy A. Person posted:

It's because there's a lifetime's worth of bad movies that you'll never think about again, but this is a rare standout that you'll never forget.

Actually the only other thing I can solidly remember is some Yogi Bear movie we walked out of the theaters on in the 80s. That's second place.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Papercut posted:

It's because there's a lifetime's worth of bad movies that you'll never think about again, but this is a rare standout that you'll never forget.

Actually the only other thing I can solidly remember is some Yogi Bear movie we walked out of the theaters on in the 80s. That's second place.

See sorry I still translate as "this is a bad movie that I just finished watching minutes ago and I want to use some hyperbole". I doubt when you just watched those forgettable bad movies you thought "this movie was bad but I'll just forget about it in a week anyway so nbd" you were probably saying the same thing.

So now the real test will be posting from your death bed decades from now to prove me wrong!

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Watching "it's like an AI made it" become the dominant catchphrase for "I didn't like it" in realtime and it's bumming me out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

yeah stuff like this is good slow mo. and the teeth. i just found the action scenes used it a bit too randomly for me.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the worst movie ive ever seen is the elm street remake. there are worse films with worse ideas and worse qualities.

but they didnt offend me like the elm street remake. what a stupid boring movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Even among big mainstream movies this year The Flash and Dial of Destiny are far more miserable experiences to sit through, and I suspect all the MCU movies I didn't see are too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the flash was horrific and weird. dial was so boring. A complete waste of money and time.