Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you agree?
Yes, you are hurting the content creator's™ feelings and future
No, youtube is infringing on my rights with anti-ad blocker ads
Just click out and suck it up OP lmfao
I watch videos on dailymotion instead
Goku using incognito mode
View Results

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Chrs posted:

I’m still conditioned to assume that clicking any ad online will give my computer malware

100%

If I ever see something in an ad that I might be interested in (very close to zero, sincerely), I will never, ever click that ad. Ever. No reason to.

I'll google it and find the original source.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Chrs posted:

I’m still conditioned to assume that clicking any ad online will give my computer malware
This is not a bad assumption. I had one YouTube ad leak through and it was an AI-generated Elon Musk trying to get you to link on some generated URL that's 100% either malware or some kind of crypto scam.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
All my ads are "Buy furniture you hollow waspy gently caress" and robot voice "You can fix your craggy anus with this one weird trick" which I assume is a scam.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Elukka posted:

This is not a bad assumption. I had one YouTube ad leak through and it was an AI-generated Elon Musk trying to get you to link on some generated URL that's 100% either malware or some kind of crypto scam.

Lol I've seen that too, it was hilariously bad

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

They're refusing to play movies to people with blockers now.

I'm sure it won't be long until they roll this out to the entire site.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That looks like you don't have DRM playback enabled, which makes sense for movies

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Clear ublock cache, reload, sorted!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Incidentally I recently learned that if you're actually paying for something on YouTube, the quality is crippled and you're restricted to 480p or something ("SD") on PC. You have to watch through a device like unspecified "selected smart TVs" for HD.

Similarly, Netflix just lies about resolution, you're getting 720p on a browser, regardless of specifically paying for 1080p or 4k. This limitation is not mentioned when you pay. You must go through their app or a different device to unlock full resolution.

So paying for content specifically gets you worse quality over free content, or piracy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
arent graphic p numbers largely placebo on smaller screens/devices ? like 700 is fine until you get a "real" screen?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Despite being a YouTube premium subscriber I deleted the app on both my iPhone and iPad and use a combination of Vinegar and UnTrap to allow background play and get rid of any Shorts ever.

I’m so tired of this garbage. Next on the chopping block is instagram which also decided to integrate Threads into the app, which also shows me transphobic threads-tweets boosted by the algo. Great job, Zucc!

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

PhazonLink posted:

arent graphic p numbers largely placebo on smaller screens/devices ? like 700 is fine until you get a "real" screen?
I dunno but it's PCs with real screens where the resolution is specifically limited.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
I can't help but wonder how much more money these megacorps would make if they just stopped with the needlessly restrictive bullshit. I've never been more convinced that profit is tertiary to ego and power; that the restriction is there to appease the biases of the moneyed hate-liches that own the world and, as shown with buglord's post, to push a worldview that is ultimately harmful to their financial bottom line but gives them significant sway over the flow of discourse.

Either way, it'll be a cold day in hell before I willingly give Google penny one. I'll jump through every hoop, install every app, go through every workaround, and yes, spend every dollar I must to keep from giving them any of my money.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
Yeah you could drop all the nonsense and the DRM and people would just pay for it because it's the most convenient option in that case.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
That's why I don't mind buying games on Steam when I could pirate them just as easily; most of the time when I buy a game on Steam that's all I have to do. Buy, install, play. done. Pirating might save me 20-70 bucks a purchase, sure, but it might cost me thousands if my PC gets bricked or my identity stolen, so paying for legitimate games is the safer and more convenient option.

Now if Steam decided to slap proprietary DRM on every Steam game that risked my security or made it more of a chore to use my purchases? Then it'd be time to set sail, me hearties. :yarr: :filez:

The General
Mar 4, 2007

buglord posted:

Despite being a YouTube premium subscriber I deleted the app on both my iPhone and iPad and use a combination of Vinegar and UnTrap to allow background play and get rid of any Shorts ever.

They're so desperate to get shorts to work. I can watch a whole 30minute video on the homepage with sound. A short preview doesn't give any sound and cuts out after like 5 seconds. The one use for a short, and they don't use it.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Elukka posted:

Incidentally I recently learned that if you're actually paying for something on YouTube, the quality is crippled and you're restricted to 480p or something ("SD") on PC. You have to watch through a device like unspecified "selected smart TVs" for HD.

This is only if your monitor doesn't support HDCP for copy protection, which is supposed to prevent screen capture apps from recording and letting you distribute it. It'll bump it down to 480p if it doesn't. Amazon will do this also when you rent movies.

Thing is, chrome extensions that capture video (That I've tried) work just fine on the HD streams anyway. They somehow bypass HDCP.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind

Philthy posted:

This is only if your monitor doesn't support HDCP for copy protection, which is supposed to prevent screen capture apps from recording and letting you distribute it. It'll bump it down to 480p if it doesn't. Amazon will do this also when you rent movies.

Thing is, chrome extensions that capture video (That I've tried) work just fine on the HD streams anyway. They somehow bypass HDCP.
Their support pages just say no, in general.

This is the kind of absurd nonsense I mean. You can pirate it anyway if you want to. It only hurts the paying customer. And that customer is paying because they want to go to netflix dot com, click the show and watch it - it makes no difference if someone can record it and put it on a torrent site because that customer won't go there because they specifically don't want to jump through hoops to watch the drat thing. I know I'm preaching to the choir here, I'm not arguing with you, it's just so dumb!!

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
The reason that videos play in lower quality on PC is because you're using a browser to access the content. As the content is, likely, "protected" with Widevine you're limited to level 3 protection which only allows lower resolutions. If you have hardware you can get level 2 or level 1 access which then allows you to watch the higher resolution content.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Apparently you can access full resolution video in Edge, per Netflix faq

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Not dystopian enough because the ads don't obstruct the actual content in any way beyond shrinking the window.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Dec 24, 2023

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
the day youtube stops throwing white supremacist and indoctrinational alt-right conspiracy bullshit on the sidebar is the day I'll disable ublock origin for the site to give them their sweet ad impression bucks and until then, gently caress them

the only thing I'm using youtube for these days is watching roller coaster videos and listening to songs like the rubber band man and I still get this poo poo recommended to me

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

I'm 99% sure Google is purposefully degrading my Chromecast 3's so that they frustrate me into buying whatever new, ad-supported version they make is.

It's actually kind of amazing that Google has turned into the shittiest company. Sunrise sunset.

dervival
Apr 23, 2014

GolfHole posted:

I'm 99% sure Google is purposefully degrading my Chromecast 3's so that they frustrate me into buying whatever new, ad-supported version they make is.

It's actually kind of amazing that Google has turned into the shittiest company. Sunrise sunset.

what I don't understand is how making their new products into disposable pieces of crap won't convince customers to go to a competitor. just as the leopard isn't going to change its spots (or shorts), Google isn't going to stop loving you over because you bought a new device from them

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
I discovered that if you use Ublocker on firefox at least to deal with the penicillian-resistant ads and you go fullscreen, you can scroll down off the video to look at the comments and related videos, unfreezing your scrolling. Either in fullscreen, or you go into fullscreen for a second then back out. Frees up scrolling.

Granted, the better thing is probably not reading any comments or seeing any fox news "ONE THOUSAND MURDERS CONFIRMED IN CHICAGO BY GANGS AND THE MAYOR SAYS NOTHING" related videos off to the side, but it's something :v:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Looks like the ad block detection team are back from their holidays

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
since when did youtube start roudning the corners on the video panel

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Junk posted:

Every day, UI designers stray further from god.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Gotta justify their existence, Google has been shedding "unnecessary" staff.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Junk posted:

Ahhhhhhh WTF

Whhhhhhy

Bertha the Toaster
Jan 11, 2009
I'm forced to use Edge in work and it now does that on the main window too. It shouldn't matter but it annoyed the hell out of me until I found out how to turn it off.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Some videos aren't loading for me in firefox today, even when adblock is off.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Works on my machine

020824_3
Feb 9, 2024
There is no rule of law

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
I've found if you watch a lot of youtube with adblock you occasionally have to clear cookies to reset the lock-out.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Vanced did die recently but revanced is still going strong and since you basically just break an old apk of YouTube with the patcher it's pretty unable to be stopped by YouTube.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Firefox and uBlock still work just FYI.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Firefox and uBlock still work just FYI.

I've been using that and even when the video pauses 1 second after it starts and locks the window, going to fullscreen and out of fullscreen fixes it.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Thanks to this thread I installed F-droid and Newpipe on my Android phone and have been thoroughly enjoying ad-free, bloat-free YouTube. Thanks goon(s) who recommended it

Jisae
Oct 1, 2004

What a bargain!

Lately I've noticed that volume is no longer consistent video-to-video so in order to hear anything I have to jack the volume up and then get spooked by how loving loud any windows/discord notifications are. Personally I'm using firefox and ublock but my partner has a paid youtube subscription and the volume issue is also present for them.
I also use closed captioning and within the past week or two captions don't line up, are too fast, and the ends of sentences are just, not there at all. Surely this is against ADA requirements regardless of how pissy youtube gets about adblockers.

...Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jisae posted:

Lately I've noticed that volume is no longer consistent video-to-video so in order to hear anything I have to jack the volume up and then get spooked by how loving loud any windows/discord notifications are. Personally I'm using firefox and ublock but my partner has a paid youtube subscription and the volume issue is also present for them.

Volume being inconsistent is on whoever uploaded the videos. Someone didn't normalize the volume so it's too quiet, or compressed it hot to be louder, or whatever. Youtube doesn't mess with that, they just re-encode to their preferred formats.