Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
In case anyone else was curious, in the same period of 2019, “flu” had four results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Griz posted:

also get diabetes screening, my dad didn't know he had adult-onset type 1 until his vision started going

Get bloodwork every six months if your insurance covers it, no reason not to

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Petey posted:

real “haha I’m in danger” vibes for the holidays huh

I have one mandatory gathering left for the winter but they got hit by a superspreader already like 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I’m relatively safe

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Doctors warn that Melbourne’s hospitals are being clogged

quote:

"I think we're at the point where we can't continue to ignore the impacts both on the individuals who get injured, their loved ones, and the impact on the health system itself," Dr Whitelaw said.

…by postponed care immune debt dogs electric scooters

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-20/e-scooter-injuries-rise-as-hospitals-struggle-to-treat-riders/103246314 posted:

A study by the Royal Melbourne Hospital found 256 patients were admitted to the Royal Melbourne Hospital with e-scooter injuries in the 12 months up to January 2023.

Gonna take a big sip of tea while I look up how many were admitted for a virus that I was assured would not be a problem for Australia.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

U-DO Burger posted:

my wife and my mom are still positive. I'm bewildered, we got hit on Dec 4th, and this is going to take us through Christmas. My wife is freaked out that she got Covid twice in less than three months. She's already got PASC symptoms from her prior infection, and she's consumed with worry over what might happen to her next. My Mom is obsessed with Christmas in a way I will never understand. And so she's very broken up over getting sick and losing all of that time she normally spends soaking up Christmas vibes

in summary lol joke's on all of us, despite our best efforts this year Covid showed up to completely obliterate everyone's plans :thumbsup:

very sorry to hear this :( I was positive for about this long and there's several others who have been.

I dunno what level of Cautious your wife/mom were prior to this incident but rather than worrying about what might happen to them next (largely unavoidable at this juncture) they should concentrate on how best to prepare / protect themselves imo.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
2/3rd of this household is sick(covid negative, allegedly). guests were invited over yesterday, when told of sickness, remarked 'oh we could have canceled' but stayed anyway. phonecall with friends and everyone talked about covid. person with family in florida said paxlovid was very common but we dont talk about it here?? one person is coming over tomorrow. two more the day after. it's over.

RealityWarCriminal has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Dec 24, 2023

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

My office sounds like a tuberculosis ward and I don't think that's going to improve after everyone comes back from vacation.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Pingui posted:

Over 40 post on the forums within the last 24 hours containing the word "covid" outside of C-SPAM, a lot of them also contain "caught" and "finally".

I can finally confirm I haven't caught COVID this December

FUCK COREY PERRY
Apr 19, 2008

Petey posted:

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

Complications posted:

If something serious is off with your eyes go see an eye doctor. It's like when something's up with your teeth and seeing a dentist - if nothing else those things have very direct access to your brain and if something's wrong you need to be moving on it posthaste.

Yup I'm on it as soon as the holidays are over

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
*currently at my MIL's*

Petey posted:

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021
I've called multiple pharmacies tonight and each one has said Paxlovid is no longer paid for by the state and that insurance information needs to be provided when picking it up.

Sure enough, the HHS website is saying December 15th was the cutoff point.

Test2Treat home delivery still works and is free thankfully, but you may or may not run into some trouble if you have it sent to a pharmacy for pickup.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Why Am I So Tired posted:

I've called multiple pharmacies tonight and each one has said Paxlovid is no longer paid for by the state and that insurance information needs to be provided when picking it up.

Test2Treat home delivery still works and is free thankfully, but you may or may not run into some trouble if you have it sent to a pharmacy for pickup.

how much out of pocket

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

That was (or was supposed to be) the cutoff for pharmacies ordering more free doses. Of course if the pharmacies are out of those, yeah, no more freebies.

Edit: "supposed to be" because obviously the system is entirely dysfunctional and no-one knows what the rules are at any given time. So who knows what mishmash of poorly communicated information a given pharmacy believes the current rules to be :shrug:

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:06 on Dec 24, 2023

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
there’s a new hookup app called Sniffies, which, contrary to its name, is not for sick people to hook up

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I just picked up mine earlier today and apparently the insurance issue was annoying for the pharmacist to deal with, but I was still able to get it for free.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
I appreciate the well wishes, sincerely and I'll admit that 15ish years of severe tinnitus has made me a doomer on sensory issues, but I'm just assuming that I probably sustained physical damage to my eye, which may or may not improve to any degree, and could get worse, as well.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong and it clears up completely, but, that eye got hosed up. Totally gunked closed two nights in a row, and severely blurry and bloodshot at the time. It worried me then, too, but I had reported it as a symptom and I was on pax and doing my best to keep it clear. My symptoms don't resemble a retinal detachment or anything else that I know of which would warrant emergency attention, and I expect to be able to get in to the eye doctor fast after the holiday.

COVID Thanksgiving, COVID vision loss sadness Christmas. And I'm just going to vent here, bc I'm not the only person in the house with post COVID issues

lovely virus. 1/10 do not recommend

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Steve Yun posted:

how much out of pocket

I didn't ask unfortunately, I just assumed it would be $1400 and/or an unpredictable hassle that I wouldn't be prepared for.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
AFAIK $1400 is what Pfizer is charging insurance companies, but I’m curious how much of that is going to be covered by insurance

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Cabbages and Kings posted:

I appreciate the well wishes, sincerely and I'll admit that 15ish years of severe tinnitus has made me a doomer on sensory issues, but I'm just assuming that I probably sustained physical damage to my eye, which may or may not improve to any degree, and could get worse, as well.

I'll be happy if I'm wrong and it clears up completely, but, that eye got hosed up. Totally gunked closed two nights in a row, and severely blurry and bloodshot at the time. It worried me then, too, but I had reported it as a symptom and I was on pax and doing my best to keep it clear. My symptoms don't resemble a retinal detachment or anything else that I know of which would warrant emergency attention, and I expect to be able to get in to the eye doctor fast after the holiday.

COVID Thanksgiving, COVID vision loss sadness Christmas. And I'm just going to vent here, bc I'm not the only person in the house with post COVID issues

lovely virus. 1/10 do not recommend

If it makes you feel any better, vision loss is fairly rare from COVID, while blurry vision isn't. In all likelihood you just need to treat the pink-eye or general dry eyes. Some simple eye-droplets (artificial tears) might do the trick, if you have some and haven't tried already.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

just angrily hung up on my dad trying to offer me part of a roasted chicken because i couldn't understand what a "leg quarter" was. i figured it out after several minutes and called back to apologize. hellyeah i love having brain damage

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Charlatan Eschaton posted:

just angrily hung up on my dad trying to offer me part of a roasted chicken because i couldn't understand what a "leg quarter" was. i figured it out after several minutes and called back to apologize. hellyeah i love having brain damage

Hopefully just transient from the acute illness and not brain damage :unsmith:

Best of luck either way, at least you have your health roast chicken leg quarter.

Pingui has issued a correction as of 03:26 on Dec 24, 2023

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pingui posted:

That was (or was supposed to be) the cutoff for pharmacies ordering more free doses. Of course if the pharmacies are out of those, yeah, no more freebies.

Edit: "supposed to be" because obviously the system is entirely dysfunctional and no-one knows what the rules are at any given time. So who knows what mishmash of poorly communicated information a given pharmacy believes the current rules to be :shrug:

I think that Pingui is right. Pharmacies are encouraged to dumpster the Pax now, but if they haven’t, they can still give it to you, and if they do give it to you, they can’t charge you because it has already been purchased by the government.

If they are dispensing market‐procured Pax, then they can play wallet inspector. :911:

Looking at a couple of arbitrary cities on the locator maps, Walgreens was eager to dumpster the government Pax. CVS and Rite Aid may still have stock.

https://aspr.hhs.gov/COVID-19/Therapeutics/updates/Pages/important-update-28November2023.aspx posted:

Paxlovid ordering from the USG supply closes at 3 p.m. ET, Friday, December 15 except for the following federal entities: Health Research and Services Administration, Department of State, Indian Health Service, Peace Corps, Bureau of Prisons, Immigration and Customs Enforcement, National Institutes of Health, Department of Defense and Veterans Affairs; these federal departments and agencies can continue to order USG-procured supply.

USG-distributed, EUA-labeled packages of Paxlovid with an expiration date of December 2023 or later are eligible to be returned via the Pfizer return process. Returns will be accepted through December 31, 2023, and count as a credit toward the USG-procured inventory. We recommend that returns occur after NDA-labeled inventory is secured, the USG PAP operated by Pfizer is live, and commercial payer coverage is established. Returned courses will be replenished as NDA-labeled supply to support the USG PAP operated by Pfizer and federal entities.

https://aspr.hhs.gov/COVID-19/Therapeutics/updates/Pages/Commercialization-FAQ-Nov2023.aspx posted:

Do dispensing sites need to return USG product by a certain date? Can they continue to use the USG-distributed treatments beyond December 15?

For Paxlovid, providers with excess USG-distributed, emergency use authorization- (EUA) labeled Paxlovid are encouraged to return product expiring December 2023 or later through the Pfizer returns process by January 31, 2024. All returns should be initiated by January 15, 2024, to ensure product is received by January 31, 2024, to be accepted for credit to the federal inventory. Returned USG Paxlovid will be used to support access to free Paxlovid for publicly insured patients, including Medicare and Medicaid beneficiaries, and uninsured patients through the USG PAP operated by Pfizer. Eligible patients can enroll online. To ensure maximum value of the USG-purchased inventory, sites are encouraged to return EUA-labeled Paxlovid. Pfizer will refresh the USG-purchased supply through 2028, ensuring that the USG inventory of Paxlovid is not expired and that it includes new formulations of Paxlovid authorized or approved for use in the United States. Providers should maximize use of the USG-distributed supply, particularly to ensure distribution channels, payment systems, and the USG PAP operated by Pfizer are fully operational before returning EUA-labeled Paxlovid.

For Lagevrio, dispensing sites should use the USG-purchased supply in their inventory through its depletion or until expiry, whichever comes first.

For both treatments, the USG-distributed supply can continue to be leveraged for any eligible patient so long as the individual EUAs are still active, and the product is not expired. Any of the government-purchased supply that sites dispense must remain available to patients for free.

Bonus: Malus:

quote:

Will the COVID-19 oral treatments be covered by commercial insurers, or will the cost need to be covered entirely by the patient?

Federal law does not require commercial plans to cover all possible COVID-19 treatments or put any limits on patient cost-sharing for any commercial plans if the treatments are covered. Plans generally have discretion to cover medicines under Emergency Use Authorization and to set cost-sharing rules for them as they do for FDA-approved drugs. Plans in the individual and small group markets must offer some antiviral coverage, although not all antivirals may be covered. In such a case, enrollees may request access to non-formulary drugs through an exceptions process, including on an expedited basis.

We have the tools.

The tools are on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard’.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

Platystemon posted:

...In such a case, enrollees may request access to non-formulary drugs through an exceptions process, including on an expedited basis.

I had to do an 'expedited' appeal to a prescription authorization determination once. It took more than a month (to get denied of course). I'm sure that'll work out great for all those people on individual market health plans who don't even test positive on their lovely RAT tests until 4 days into symptoms.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

you can't miss out on holiday events, you will regret th-

quote:

‘Worse than giving birth’: 700 fall sick after Airbus staff Christmas dinner
https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/dec/23/airbus-atlantic-staff-christmas-dinner-gastroenteritis-outbreak?ref=upstract.com

A gourmet Christmas dinner for 2,600 workers at the French aerospace group Airbus Atlantic left hundreds of staff sick.

The health authorities have launched an investigation to establish what caused a mass outbreak of gastroenteritis among a reported 700 employees.

The festive feast was organised and provided by the company’s own restaurant at its site at Montoir-de-Bretagne in the Loire-Atlantique region of western France.

Don't worry though

quote:

A spokesperson for Airbus said nobody had been “seriously ill”.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
https://x.com/michael_hoerger/status/1736853759458787761?s=46

eyyyyyyy

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Pingui posted:

Hopefully just transient from the acute illness and not brain damage :unsmith:

Best of luck either way, at least you have your health roast chicken leg quarter.

ty i am better today than earlier in the week and i'm sure it'll improve more it's just wild that getting your visual memories disconnected has been normalized to "lol brain fog" (16 typos edited out of this post)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hybrid herd super immunity will surely kick in this time

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

Hybrid herd super immunity will surely kick in this time

Just one more shot of “nature’s vaccine”, bro. Just one more.

mahler_biryani
Jan 28, 2023
I exit the lurker mode to once again report some personal anecdotes. After 3.5 years of not getting got, covid got our family for second time in 3 months. For now, it is just my wife and she is isolating. The kid and I are testing with Aptitude Metrix daily and negative so far. Fingers crossed. We have gone through the aforementioned 3.5 years (till August) with relaxing our precautions/rolling the dice 3-4 times a year. But our luck has run out and every single roll of dice seems to be hitting now. My wife had an obligation to help her dad with some medical stuff. She has visited that city a half dozen times throughout the pandemic and I could never get her to avoid unmasking with family and friends in this place where she grew up. The one mitigation was to ask everyone to test before every gathering. This time too, I shipped everyone enough Luciras to test before every time they meet up. They all claim to have tested, but I am not sure it was with Luciras (they might have meant a RAT 2 weeks before...). Having said that, everyone seems to be asymptomatic even a week later. I still think it was those gatherings and not the general travel where she picked it up*.

My sister's family had the whole family get got within 2 months of previous infection. They too didn't have any known infections in the previous 3.5 years. In this case, the culprit is the kid starting preschool this year. The preschool promised strict covid protocols and masking but then they fired the director over the summer, partly because the director was advocating for covid precautions and partly because the director had long covid.

Paxlovid is an amazing drug and suppresses symptoms within a couple days, but I worry about the kids the most as they can't get any treatment at all.

* She was masked throughout the air travel except for taking mask off at security (Clear now requires unmasking too making it completely useless!) and a few sips of water during the flight. The airbnb she stayed at was an apartment, so I suppose it could have seeped through the walls but still seems far less likely.

Louisgod posted:

How long until exposure does one expect to pop positive? My youngest tested positive Wednesday evening and even though I feel slightly off (could be my imagination), I’m testing negative. Guessing maybe in a few days?

Steve Yun posted:

from what I’ve been gathering from several anecdotes people lately are getting symptoms about 2 days after exposure and then popping positive on rapid tests 5 days after symptom onset, so a week after exposure

For my sister's family, RATs popped dark in the first days of symptoms. For my wife, the Metrix test was positive within ~12 hours of symptom onset (how long it took my wife to mention she had any). My son and I are testing daily with Metrix and we are on day 4 post exposure and no symptoms/negative so far. In the previous round, my son was the only one that tested positive at all (wife and I only confirmed through antibody tests later). I think the current variant (JN.1 presumably) is more immediately detectable.

Pingui posted:

It is a bit difficult to figure out the exact status of COVID in India as the testing is so lackluster, so while the increase is eye-bleeding, keep in mind that the level of testing is somewhere between gently caress and all.

I think the Union government managed to entirely suppress a wave in the spring, so the apparent fact that they can't this time is probably a more important signal than the nominal numbers.

My colleagues in the India office are definitely out with covid symptoms at a very high rate right now.

Pingui posted:

Concerning prior discussion of the increase in wastewater potentially not being congruent with the apparent number of cases, here is a piece considering the option of a inherent JN.1 change towards gut infection. I think this a likelier option than co-infections, but there isn't really anything indicating that this is the case, beyond "where are the hospitalizations??".

Archived link: https://archive.vn/1lVkb

My wife's symptoms are all GI related. But it was same in August too.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I know I'm a thread enemy now but I think you guys will enjoy this anecdote.

36 year old healthy male with no risk factors comes to ER with tummy ache/vertigo/etc. They give him a fluid bolus then send him home. Neuro symptoms get worse, he comes here, oh dear a thrombus in the right vertebral artery with lateral dorsal medulla and cerebellum infarct. He's coughing a lot too which I'm sure is just a normal bodily function for healthy adults.

Anyone know of any respiratory illnesses that can also have GI symptoms and also cause significant system vascular/coagulopathy dysfunction?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Good luck getting in the same room as the elixir, but a treatment for children does exist.

Remdesivir (Veklury) is approved to treat children who are at least twenty‐eight days old and not badly underweight (i.e. having a body mass greater than three thousand grams).

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Asproigerosis posted:

36 year old healthy male with no risk factors comes to ER with tummy ache/vertigo/etc. They give him a fluid bolus then send him home. Neuro symptoms get worse, he comes here, oh dear a thrombus in the right vertebral artery with lateral dorsal medulla and cerebellum infarct. He's coughing a lot too which I'm sure is just a normal bodily function for healthy adults.

Anyone know of any respiratory illnesses that can also have GI symptoms and also cause significant system vascular/coagulopathy dysfunction?

rsv?

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Asproigerosis posted:

no but I know a vascular illness that presents as a respiratory system syndrome and causes GI symptoms!

also you're not a thread enemy Karen u just posted dumbly once and got correctly called out on it

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Pingui posted:

If it makes you feel any better, vision loss is fairly rare from COVID, while blurry vision isn't. In all likelihood you just need to treat the pink-eye or general dry eyes. Some simple eye-droplets (artificial tears) might do the trick, if you have some and haven't tried already.

welllll I can hope so but I have been free of any other ocular symptoms for three weeks at this point, and I have used drops as well as generally running lots of humidifiers in the house. I willl hope you're correct and make an eye appointment next week.

It should be fairly obvious if there's an issue since I did just have an exam fairly recently.

CoasterMaster
Aug 13, 2003

The Emperor of the Rides

Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

how much out of pocket

I checked my insurance coverage (Premera) and they claim $20 out of pocket if I need it. I'm hoping this is true and if I need to get some next year it's not a huge pain in the rear end (lol).

edit: side note, this is only tangentially related, but my job also pays for some healthcare advocate thing which is wild. I love how healthcare in america is such a loving pain in the rear end, an entire industry has sprouted up as a go-between for you and your insurance to fight them on your behalf. Just an incredible system 10/10

CoasterMaster has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Dec 24, 2023

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Gunshow Poophole posted:

also you're not a thread enemy Karen u just posted dumbly once and got correctly called out on it
tbf he went to whine in the peace thread about this thread and got mad when they called him out

Asproigerosis posted:

Covid thread is currently recommending how to best use bleach in humidifiers... I know you sicko are into this kind of stuff.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

"put bleach in humidifiers" is going to be one of those fake pieces of thread lore next year isn't it

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Along with “they’re all feeding Paxlovid to their dogs” (which tbc nobody itt has ever done)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Oldest Man posted:

"put bleach in humidifiers" is going to be one of those fake pieces of thread lore next year isn't it

That’s far too straightforward.

They’ll be conflating multiple incidents into one while embellishing each.

Here’s a better example: “A COVID thread hypochondriac put industrial bleach into a humidifier to wash his bon bons, but it ended up killing his dog. The vet said that his dog’s blood was twenty percent bleach.”